/* */

PDA

View Full Version : cake decorating

Ummu Sufyaan
06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
:sl:
this isnt for me....
does anyone know where i can get some good books/resources about cake decorating?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
hmm youtube has a lot of them and how to make cake shapes and decorate in fairly easy ways,

also, what kind of cake decorating is the person interested in? piping or making edible flowers?

Ummu Sufyaan
06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
^anything...i think its all inclusive under the title of "cake decorating" , no?
im giving this as a gift so i dont know that youtube vids are really going to cut it :P

S_87
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
hmm i dunno about books but if u wanted for a gift you could get the person a novelty cake pan? like this:
http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/shop/4/66/index.htm

i have a few of these and they make really great shapes and to finish it off with icing to make it look like that just requires a basic icing nozzle that you could get in icing sets.

before buying a book id say look at them (if u can get to a library) because some are really informative with how to actually make the icing and with tips and tricks and step to step guides on icing/making icing bags, nozzle uses and some are pretty pictures to look at really :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
^do you know any books in-particular :-[

~Taalibah~
06-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Professional cake decoThis really is a comprehensive, excellent instruction book and it is appropriate for people at all levels of cake decorating experience. Toba Garrett covers everything from start to finish and at the end of each lesson she provides a self-quiz that will help you see how much you have learned, practice each technique and make sure you understand the terminology that goes with this exciting career/hobby.

Cakes to dream on Great Cake Designs. Good Book for Professionals
`Cakes to Dream On', subtitled `A Master Class in Decorating' by major American pastry artist and teacher, Colette Peters has the ambition to be an advanced class in multi-tiered cake decorating. This ambition is not to be taken lightly, as there is very little in this book for the amateur home / bake sale cook. This is not to say that the book is not chocked full of...

Cakes to inspire and They can inspire but not really instruct
I bought this book primarily because I also wanted to learn about how to make the "wonky cake or topsy turvy cake". I was also disappointed in the instructions for this particular cake. However, she can give great instructions as evidenced by the section on how to make cake jewelry & how to decorate the cakes, as was also noted by another reviewer. Additionally, her...

~Taalibah~
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
From amazon.. maybe they can give u some ideas...?

Ummu Sufyaan
06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
hmm i dunno about books but if u wanted for a gift you could get the person a novelty cake pan? like this:
http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/shop/4/66/index.htm

i have a few of these and they make really great shapes and to finish it off with icing to make it look like that just requires a basic icing nozzle that you could get in icing sets.

before buying a book id say look at them (if u can get to a library) because some are really informative with how to actually make the icing and with tips and tricks and step to step guides on icing/making icing bags, nozzle uses and some are pretty pictures to look at really :p
what are the equipment one needs for cake decorating? i know this person has one of those cake decorating kits (like this one...but what else is there that you can use (other than the cake pan you mentioned)

Snowflake
06-03-2010, 01:56 PM
This might be useful too :)

www.cupcakestyle.co.uk

Ummu Sufyaan
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
^
barakallahu feeki...looks good. *sorry need to spread reps*

S_87
06-04-2010, 09:40 AM
depends what she needs. the equipment can be VERY expensive.

if she doesnt have, maybe an icing nozzle set? which will be useful in many different cake decorating ways. you could get her a bunch of edible cake decorating stuff like edible glitters and bits and bobs. cookie cutters/the flower shaped ones can also be used to make icing flowers.
have a look at this:
http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/

cupcake tree stands are 'in' these days so how about one of them? (they are so pretty too! :) )

oh as for books, this book is really god imo:
http://www.theworks.co.uk/product.asp?cid=&pid=2423

that cake decorating kit looks pretty good with all the basic things a person will need, from what i can see it doesnt have the nozzles where u can make them roses so if you could get to a store and ask them for flower nozzles (try to get the metal not plastic ones) they are also useful

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!