/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Israel's siege of Gaza:

Masuma
06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
In the name of ALLAH, the most GRACIOUS, the most MERCIFUL!

Asalamu Alikum Wa Rehmatullahi Wa Barakatuh!

For THREE YEARS, Israel has maintained its siege of Gaza. The Muslim brothers and sisters are living in misery there! Israel would not even allow any medical aid to the people. How will our brothers and sisters overcome the shortage of food? They were so hopeful that soon the Turkish aid ships would bring them food and other supplies but Israel even raided the aid ships!
Do you know, the people on the aid ships, after realizing how desperately they were being awaited, said that they would not even fear death but would supply the aid to Gaza no matter what happens!
Now how could we see our Muslim brothers and sisters die like that…?! :cry: My brothers and sisters are being slaughtered by Israel, and I just can’t do anything for them! This helplessness is killing me.

But not everyone is like me. Some people CAN bring about a change but they still won’t do it. Our countries Presidents and Prime Ministers can unite and demand collectively for justice but as we have always seen, they won’t even dare open their mouths! So I say to them that “Okay, you all have neglected your duty but for this, ALLAH will never forgive you!”

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) says in a Bukhari Sahih hadith that
“If you see an evil around you, stop it with your hand. If you are not able to do so; then stop it with your tongue and if you are not even able to do this; then at least consider it bad in your heart…”

But only a few would take heed.

Allah says in Quran in Surah 4, Verses 74 and 75:
“Let those who fight in the cause of Allah who sell the life of this world for the Hereafter. To him who fights in the cause of ALLAH-whether he is slain or gets victory- soon shall WE give him a reward of great value.

And why should ye not fight in the cause of ALLAH and those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)?- Men, women and children, whose cry is: “Our LORD! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from Thee one who will protect; and raise for us from Thee one who will help!”

So Muslim brothers and sisters, why should we not fight when our innocent Palestinian and other Muslims around the world are being murdered, tortured and persecuted so ruthlessly?!

Prophet (s.a.w) in one of his hadith said:
“…Every Muslim’s blood property and honor are sacred to a Muslim.”
Look how our Muslim brothers have been so brutally murdered only in Iraq!

How can we allow all this slaughter?! :cry:

Now is the time to realize our responsibility and to start working for the greater good. Now is the time to work with “Hiqmat” (logic etc) and carryout all our responsibilities which Allah has ordained us. Do Dawah and spread Islam to every corner of the world.

Anti-Muslim organizations and Israel have been blinded by arrogance that nothing can happen to them no matter how much massacre and slaughter of the innocent Muslims they carryout.

Israel will pay for it soon! INSHALLAH! So much so that Muslims will kill each and every of the Jew who would fight us!
In Mishkat Al-Masabih, Book 25, Chapter 2 (Muslim transmits it): Abu Huraira reports from God’s messenger as saying,
“The Last hour will not come before the Muslims fight the Jews and the Muslims kill them, so that Jews will HIDE behind stones and trees and the stones and the trees will say, “O Muslim, O servant of God, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him…”

ALLAHU AKBAR!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Just a quote that I think is relevant, and you may or may not agree with it, depending on which stance you take with regard to Israel, but this is related to your post, sister:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Masuma
06-01-2010, 03:52 PM
@ brother Supreme:

Thank you brother Supreme. :cry: May Allah show you the right way!

I agree with the statement. You know it is the responsibility of every Muslim to stop evil and promote Peace. But very few do it.

The suppressors know no mercy. They'll keep on killing people for no consequence at all. And we call ourselves civilized?! :cry:

Supreme
06-01-2010, 04:18 PM
For the record sister, I strongly oppose the Israeli blockade and mistreatement of Gaza and its people not because of my religion, or race, or political beliefs with regard to Zionism- none of those things are a deciding factor in the slightest. I disagree with Israel's treatment of Palestinians of Gaza because it is thoroughly anti-humanity. It isn't anti Islam or anti Arab, it's anti human. The people in Gaza are essentially living in a big prison where daily shootings, malnutrition, disease and poverty are commonplace, and it is largely (if not solely) down to the Israelis and their actions.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Masuma
06-01-2010, 05:46 PM

:cry: These are our Muslim brothers suffering in Iraq!

Brother Supreme,
You are just so right once again! I too would never HATE anyone just because they are not of my religion, but I would hate each and everyone who is a oppressor! Whether he be Muslim or Jew or anyone in the world!

A-Believer-25
06-02-2010, 12:32 AM
It breaks my heart to see our brothers and sisters suffering all around the world. I ask Allah to support all the Muslims all around the world and to grant them victory against all our enemies. Israel will never get away with their crimes. They will know...

Masuma
06-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Sorry I forgot to tell the source of the pictures yesterday. But the problem is that it is an anti-Islamic website and so can't give the link, you see. :( Though I appreciate that website to show the truth; the Muslims suffering, which even some Muslim websites don't care about.

I always appreciate those who stand for truth!

Masuma
06-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Here are some more pictures from the same anti-Islamic website.

@ brother A-Believer-25:

I pray the same, my dear brother. May Allah help us! May Allah make the Muslims so much united that we bring Israel down with just one strike and save our brothers and sisters from their oppression. May we be a source of help to every innocent and weak person of this world! Ameen!

Ummu Sufyaan
06-02-2010, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Just a quote that I think is relevant, and you may or may not agree with it, depending on which stance you take with regard to Israel, but this is related to your post, sister:
Edmund Burke
you cant be serious.

Supreme
06-02-2010, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
you cant be serious.
I'm not sure how you managed to deduce I wasn't being serious...

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Edmund Burke
You must be mad agreeing with that nonsense quote, seriously do nothing and let ur own people die. You have no backbone.;D:raging:

War comes before peace.

Masuma
06-02-2010, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_Sadiq
You must be mad agreeing with that nonsense quote, seriously do nothing and let ur own people die. You have no backbone.;D:raging:

War comes before peace.
Annhainhain! Is that directed towards ME??? :offended:

Edmund Burke
Now whats wrong with the statement brother? Isn't the statement saying that evil will win on that day when the good people will not do anything about it? I think that it says that the good people SHOULD do something about evil and try to stop it with their hand!

So? What's wrong then for me and brother Supreme to agree with it? :hmm:

Supreme
06-02-2010, 04:47 PM

War comes before peace.
History has proven the quote to be true. Hitler got into power because good men let him and did nothing about it. Stalin went on mass killing sprees called purges because nobody good was brave enough to stop him. Likewise, Israel goes about doing such evil acts because no good person is prepared (or able) to stop them.

glo
06-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I disagree with Israel's treatment of Palestinians of Gaza because it is thoroughly anti-humanity. It isn't anti Islam or anti Arab, it's anti human. The people in Gaza are essentially living in a big prison where daily shootings, malnutrition, disease and poverty are commonplace, and it is largely (if not solely) down to the Israelis and their actions.
I completely agree with Supreme.

Inhumane treatment of fellow human beings is simply wrong - regardless of the race, religion, gender etc it is aimed against!
It is also worth remembering that not all Palestinians are Muslims.
This is not only a crime against Muslims, but a crime against all humanity!
We should all stand up for this cause, not just the Muslim world!!

Masuma
06-02-2010, 05:16 PM
HELLO PEOPLE! :mad:
Nothing is making sense to me right now!

Brother Supreme! What does the quote mean? Can you or somebody else please explain it a little? It seemed right to me but now as you people are arguing about it so maybe I understood it wrongly!

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by An33za
Annhainhain! Is that directed towards ME??? :offended:

Now whats wrong with the statement brother? Isn't the statement saying that evil will win on that day when the good people will not do anything about it? I think that it says that the good people SHOULD do something about evil and try to stop it with their hand!

So? What's wrong then for me and brother Supreme to agree with it? :hmm:
Its not you lol,
I am refering to supreme.
You probably misunderstood that quote. The quote is saying: 'do nothing and everything will be fine'. Therefore doing nothing is absolutely wrong in this case because you have to fight to get ur freedom, did you know that all these colanised countries became independent through war not sitting at home watching news channels. Therefore war comes first then peace afterwards.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-02-2010, 05:51 PM
History has proven the quote to be true. Hitler got into power because good men let him and did nothing about it. Stalin went on mass killing sprees called purges because nobody good was brave enough to stop him. Likewise, Israel goes about doing such evil acts because no good person is prepared (or able) to stop them.
Which good men? U mean hitlers nation they weren't good they could have stopped him gaining power furthermore these other countries that allow Israel to do this are not good people as well such the USA. I can't stand those countries!!!!! I can't wait for the war when Islam unites and captures many land.

Masuma
06-02-2010, 05:54 PM
^Anhan? Is that what the statement meant? :/

Then obviously its wrong. I thought the quote too meant that we should fight otherwise evil would prevail and have a triumph.

But Brother Supreme, do you agree with the explanation which brother Mohammad_Sadiq gave? If yes, then how is it at all related to the OP because you said that it is?

Masuma
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Uff! Why not brother Supreme just give a long 2 pages explanation so that I may understand it. :mad:

Isn't brother Supreme also saying that fighting and stopping evil is necessary?

Souljette
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Assalamualikum brothers and sisters..

Whatever brother Aneeza and supreme agreed upon at the beginning is the real interpretation of this statement.. brother sadiq has i think misinterpreted the statement..i think brother sadiq you need to read the statement again with a cool mind.. ..it means

that the only way evil can win is when good men don't do anything and that is truee... look at us we are sittin here doing nothing because we can't and this is just us sayin it..many people are capable of doin many things.. we have 54 muslim countries..where is the unity.. they are just muslim by name.. there must be brotherhood between us before we think of conquering others.. brother sadiq whatever you are sayin is exactly in that one sentence .. and we can do many things ..we can raise awareness for Gaza, we can show gaza that we are giving support , and when gaza was going to get aid then the flotilla was ambushed ...all we can do is make dua ..our biggest weapon

A-Believer-25
06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by An33za

@ brother A-Believer-25:

I pray the same, my dear brother. May Allah help us! May Allah make the Muslims so much united that we bring Israel down with just one strike and save our brothers and sisters from their oppression. May we be a source of help to every innocent and weak person of this world! Ameen!
Ameen to all your du'a!

Supreme
06-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Which good men? U mean hitlers nation they weren't good they could have stopped him gaining power furthermore these other countries that allow Israel to do this are not good people as well such the USA. I can't stand those countries!!!!! I can't wait for the war when Islam unites and captures many land.
Whatever are you talking about? Chill out, relax; read the quote again. It means that evil only exists when there's no-one round to stop it in its weak, early stages. Hitler could have been stopped by Britain and France; however, they chose to do nothing, and thus Hitler and the evil of the Nazi Party were able to complete their aims of the invasion of Europe and the Holocaust. Likewise, if no-one good stops the Israeli government now, they will continue to do evil acts, and thus, evil will have triumphed.

glo
06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Its not you lol,
I am refering to supreme.
You probably misunderstood that quote. The quote is saying: 'do nothing and everything will be fine'.
Calm down everybody, and take a deep breath.

Mohamed, I'm afraid you have misunderstood Supreme's quote.
Read it again:
Edmund Burke
It doesn't mean 'do nothing and everything will be fine'. In the contrary.

It means that when good people say and do nothing, they allow evil to rise to power.
The only thing evil people need to rise and triumph, is for good people to remain quiet and say and do nothing (to stop the evil people).

Therefore, we all have an obligation to speak out against injustice and suffering, and to not turn a blind eye when our fellow human beings suffer.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-02-2010, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Read it again:

It means that when good people say and do nothing, they allow evil to rise to power.
The only thing evil people need to rise and triumph, is for good people to remain quiet and say and do nothing (to stop the evil people).

Therefore, we all have an obligation to speak out against injustice and suffering, and to not turn a blind eye when our fellow human beings suffer.
Ok lool, i get it now. Sorry every1 for the confusion.. i think i need to visit confused.com right now

Supreme
06-02-2010, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Read it again:

Yep. You hit the nail on the head there, glo.

Ok lool, i get it now. Sorry every1 for the confusion.. i think i need to visit confused.com right now
Don't worry dude, without some confusion/drama every now and then, this forum would be boring.

Dagless
06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
This thread made me lol. You all have the same opinion, yet somehow still wasted a page arguing with each other :D

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-02-2010, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dagless
this thread made me lol. You all have the same opinion, yet somehow still wasted a page arguing with each other :d
:d :d :d :d :d

espada
06-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Regarding Hitler ... maybe if he had been stopped before the war, there would be no Israel.

Think about it.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-03-2010, 12:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by espada
Regarding Hitler ... maybe if he had been stopped before the war, there would be no Israel.

Think about it.
Maybe, then Britain wouldn't had given the land to those filthy killers (jews).

Supreme
06-03-2010, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by espada

Think about it.
Coulda woulda shoulda buddha... there's no point spending your life thinking about what might have happened.

espada
06-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Coulda woulda shoulda buddha... there's no point spending your life thinking about what might have happened.
I'm just trying to highlight your quote. But you are 100% correct.

It's time to face the reality that Allah has put the Jews back in this land. Is it to test them, humiliate them or redeem them? HE knows best.

Right now it's looking more like a mix of the first two and the redemption will be for the truly oppressed.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-03-2010, 12:15 AM
True say!

Thinking of 'what if' can be good sometimes but not always, it can be pointless and waste of time. Always think of a solution instead of the past.
So now lets think of a solution.

glo
06-03-2010, 06:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
This thread made me lol. You all have the same opinion, yet somehow still wasted a page arguing with each other :D
Surprising how often life is like that! :D

(I think people (on the whole) are often keen to say what they want to say - but not so good at listening to what others are trying to say ...)

Masuma
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Asalamu Alikum Wr Wb:

Red Cross: Gaza blockade illegal
Monday, June 14, 2010
14:52 Mecca time, 11:52 GMT

SOURCE

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has described Israel's blockade of the Gaza Strip as a violation of the Geneva Conventions and called on the Israeli government to lift it.
In a statement released on Monday, the organisation called the blockade "collective punishment", a crime under international law. It described Gaza as a territory plagued by frequent power cuts, a ruined economy, and a collapsed health care system.
"The closure imposed on the Gaza Strip is about to enter its fourth year, choking off any real possibility of economic development," the ICRC said.
"Gazans continue to suffer from unemployment, poverty and warfare, while the quality of Gaza's health care system has reached an all-time low."
Crippling shortages
Israeli officials insist that they provide enough "humanitarian aid" to cover Gaza's basic needs.
But the ICRC said the meagre list of goods allowed into Gaza doesn't meet the needs of the territory's 1.5 million inhabitants.
Beatrice Megevand-Roggo, the head of the ICRC's Middle East operations, told Al Jazeera that the organisation - which traditionally remains neutral - was reluctant to publicly criticise the blockade. But she said three years of quiet efforts to ease the embargo did not result in any progress.
"The result has not been what we expected, and we thought that after three years the situation was dire enough, serious enough, to speak out publicly to try to break this closure of Gaza," she said.

The shortages are particularly dire in Gaza's health care system, where the ICRC said more than 100 essential medicines - including chemotherapy and hemophilia drugs - are unavailable. Many basic medical supplies, like colonoscopy bags, are also barred from Gaza and routine blackouts cause damage to medical equipment.
"The state of the health-care system in Gaza has never been worse," Eileen Daly, the ICRC's health co-ordinator in Gaza, said.
"Thousands of patients could go without treatment, and the long-term outlook will be increasingly worrisome."
B'Tselem, an Israeli human rights organisation, released its own report on Monday documenting dire conditions in the Palestinian territories. The group noted that 95 per cent of Gaza's factories have closed, that 98 per cent of residents suffer from blackouts, and that 93 per cent of Gaza's water is polluted.
Amr Moussa, the secretary-general of the Arab League, on Sunday called for an end to the blockade.

Masuma
06-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Siege takes toll on Gaza children

SOURCE:

International pressure has been mounting on Israel to lift its blockade of Gaza since the deadly raid on an aid flotilla bound for the Palestinian territory.

The UN has said 80 per cent of people there depend on food hand-outs.
But Israeli officials insist that there is no humanitarian crisis in the enclave.

UN aid workers inside Gaza, however, see a different reality.

Al Jazeera's Nicole Johnston reports from Gaza, where it has been reported that about 14 per cent of children suffer from stunted growth due to malnutrition.

Masuma
06-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Gaza closure: not another year!

SOURCE

The hardship faced by Gaza's 1.5 million people cannot be addressed by providing humanitarian aid. The only sustainable solution is to lift the closure.

The serious incidents that took place on 31 May between Israeli forces and activists on a flotilla heading for Gaza once again put the spotlight on the acute hardship faced by the population in the Gaza Strip.

As the ICRC has stressed repeatedly, the dire situation in Gaza cannot be resolved by providing humanitarian aid. The closure imposed on the Gaza Strip is about to enter its fourth year, choking off any real possibility of economic development. Gazans continue to suffer from unemployment, poverty and warfare, while the quality of Gaza's health care system has reached an all-time low.

The whole of Gaza's civilian population is being punished for acts for which they bear no responsibility. The closure therefore constitutes a collective punishment imposed in clear violation of Israel's obligations under international humanitarian law.

"The closure is having a devastating impact on the 1.5 million people living in Gaza", said Béatrice Mégevand-Roggo, the ICRC's head of operations for the Middle East. "That is why we are urging Israel to put an end to this closure and call upon all those who have an influence on the situation, including Hamas, to do their utmost to help Gaza's civilian population. Israel's right to deal with its legitimate security concerns must be balanced against the Palestinians' right to live normal, dignified lives."

The international community has to do its part to ensure that repeated appeals by States and international organizations to lift the closure are finally heeded.

Under international humanitarian law, Israel must ensure that the basic needs of Gazans, including adequate health care, are met. The Palestinian authorities, for their part, must do everything within their power to provide proper health care, supply electricity and maintain infrastructure for Gaza's people.

Furthermore, all States have an obligation to allow and facilitate rapid and unimpeded passage of all relief consignments, equipment and personnel.

Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit is about to enter his fifth year in captivity. Hamas has continued to rebuff the ICRC's requests to let it visit Gilad Shalit. In violation of international humanitarian law, it has also refused to allow him to get in touch with his family. The ICRC again urges those detaining Gilad Shalit to grant him the regular contact with his family to which he is entitled. It also reiterates that those detaining him have an obligation to ensure that he is well treated and that his living conditions are humane and dignified.

Masuma
06-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Israel to 'ease' Gaza blockade:

SOURCE

Thursday, June 17, 2010
23:17 Mecca time, 20:17 GMT

Israel's security cabinet has agreed to ease the land blockade imposed on Gaza following an international outcry over a deadly raid on an aid flotilla convoy.

An official Israeli statement said on Thursday that "it was agreed to liberalise the system by which civilian goods enter Gaza [and] expand the inflow of materials for civilian projects that are under international supervision".

But Hamas, the Palestinian group which controls the territory, rejected the Israeli announcement as "propaganda".

"Our request is that the border should be open completely. This new Israeli system is not acceptable," Ahmed al-Kord from the Hamas-run Gaza government's ministry of social affairs, said.

Al Jazeera's Ayman Mohyeldin, reporting from Jerusalem, said the statement made no reference to the naval blockade that Israel also imposes on Gaza.

"Looking at the statement in its entirety, the international community cannot be pleased with this, as they have been asking for a lifting of the blockade," he said.

Thursday's announcement appeared to indicate that Israel would allow international organisations, such as the UN, to import previously banned building materials, vital to reconstruction after its war on Gaza.

The security cabinet, however, noted that "existing security procedures to prevent the inflow of weapons and war material" would continue.

While an exact list of the products that will be allowed into Gaza has not been released, the Ha'aretz newspaper reported the Israeli-approved items could include all food items, toys, stationery, kitchen utensils and mattresses .

'Not enough'

"The detail is what matters," Catherine Ashton, the European Union's foreign policy chief, said in response to the Israeli decision

Israel must "make sure that many, many more goods can get in to Gaza to enable people to reconstruct their homes, to build schools, to place infrastructure, and also to enable people to get on with ordinary lives," Ashton said.

Malcolm Smart, Amnesty International's director for the Middle East and North Africa, said Israel's announcement was not enough.

"Israel must now comply with its obligations as the occupying power under international law and immediately lift the blockade," Smart said.

"Just as important as allowing goods into Gaza is allowing exports to leave Gaza, yet there is no mention of this in today's announcement.

"Banning the vast majority of exports, raw materials and the movement of people has destroyed the economy of Gaza, and pushed its population into unemployment, poverty and dependency on aid agencies for survival. These problems will not be solved while the blockade continues."

The blockade was imposed in 2007 after Hamas took control of the territory.

'Relieving pressure'
Ismail Radwan, a senior Hamas leader, also dismissed the Israeli decision as an attempt to "relieve the pressure" following the attack on the aid flotilla on May 31.

Israel has faced mounting international callsto ease or lift the blockade after its soldiers attacked a Gaza-bound aid ship and killed nine pro-Palestinian activists in international waters.
"We in Hamas reject the Zionist decision, which is an attempt to obscure the international decision to completely lift the siege on the Gaza Strip," Radwan said.
In the West Bank, the Palestinian Authority which rivals Hamas, also called for a complete end to the Gaza blockade.

"The siege is collective punishment and it must be lifted," Saeb Erekat, a spokesperson for the Palestinain Authority led by Mahmoud Abbas, the president, said.

Israel says the blockade is necessary to prevent arms smuggling to Hamas.

But the International Committee of the Red Cross has described it as illegal.

Masuma
06-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Gaza doctors struggle to treat victims

Doctors in Gaza say the war-related injuries they are treating are making them question what weapons were used in Israel's 22-day offensive.
Al Jazeera's Todd Baer reports from Khan Younis where doctors suspect that chemical weapons may be behind some of the injuries.

Masuma
06-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Videos + articles + pictures, a complete story!

The mor ons even decide which weapons are legal! Ironic!

Masuma
06-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Crossings ready for more Gaza goods

Measures are in place for the increase in road shipments to the Gaza Strip following Israel's decision to change the conditions of its blockade of the Palestinian enclave.
The Palestinian Maan News Agency quoted a Palestinian border crossing official as saying that 130 lorry loads of goods would be permitted into Gaza on Tuesday.
Israel has said it will allow the import of "civilian" goods, but will continue to restrict items they say could be used to build weapons, including cement and steel rods.
Previously, only products mentioned on lists drawn up by Israel were allowed into the territory.
Al Jazeera's Nicole Johnston, reporting from the Kerem Shalom crossing, said there was a lot of uncertainty about what kind of products Israel was planning to allow into the besieged Strip.
"We that Israel won't allow the people of Gaza to export anything and we also know Israel won't allow import of raw materials.

Tyres and make-up
Our correspondent said people had greeted the news of items expected in the next few days with "quite a bit of excitement."
"Israel will be allowing spare parts for cars into Gaza. That hasn't been allowed in for a few years although it has been smuggled through tunnels," she said.
"It will also allow oil for engines, tyres, spare parts for agriculture, furniture, make-up and perfume."

Officials at a freight terminal at the Israeli side of the crossing said they were ready to handle up to 120 lorryloads a day of food and trade goods for Gaza as soon as Palestinian co-ordinators organise the extra capacity on their side.
"The list of items that will not be allowed into the Gaza Strip is still being concluded and will be published later," an official said.
At Kerem Shalom everything will be offloaded in big corrals made of two-storey high concrete slabs.
After the Israeli lorries leave, the gates will closed, and Palestinian drivers coming in from the Gaza side will reload the shipments.
Ahmed Yousef, the Hamas deputy foreign minister in Gaza, has dismissed Israel's new conditions as a public relations stunt and said it would not greatly improve conditions in Gaza.
"This is just another way for Israel to deceive the world," he told Al Jazeera on Monday.
The blockade of Gaza, implemented three years ago, has been criticised as collective punishment of 1.5 million Palestinians.
Israel came under strong pressure to ease the blockade after its May 31 raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla ships killed nine activists, sparking an international outcry.
The naval blockade will remain even under the new rules.

'Strengthened position'
Binyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, has said the new order "strengthens our position towards our friends in the world."
"It pulls the rug out from under Hamas's main propaganda tool and its patrons in Iran, who pretend there's a humanitarian crisis in Gaza," he said on Monday.
Israel has said the siege is a necessary measure to prevent smuggling of weapons to Hamas, which rules the strip.
SOURCE

Masuma
06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Why Israel's siege is illegal?
Monday, June 14, 2010
18:00 Mecca time, 15:00 GMT

The International Committee of the Red Cross has described Israel's blockade of Gaza as a violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention.
That conclusion rests on the Israeli government' status as an occupying power in Gaza, which assigns it certain obligations to the people of Gaza.
Those obligations are spelt out in detail by the Fourth Geneva Convention. At their most basic, though, they require Israel to provide for the basic needs of the people, particularly food and medical care.
To the fullest extent of the means available to it, the Occupying Power has the duty of ensuring the food and medical supplies of the population; it should, in particular, bring in the necessary foodstuffs, medical stores and other articles if the resources of the occupied territory are inadequate.
The convention also requires the occupying power to allow sufficient shipments of aid - food, clothing, medical supplies and other essentials - and to take steps to preserve the health care system in the occupied territory.

Israel does not meet those basic requirements, according to many observers. Eighty per cent of people living in Gaza rely on food aid to survive; 14 per cent of children suffer from stunted growth due to malnutrition.
Power cuts are routine: 98 per cent of the population copes with routine blackouts. Fuel supplies are heavily restricted.
More than 100 basic medicines are unavailable in Gaza, and the territory’s few remaining hospitals - several were damaged during the 2008-2009 Israeli war in Gaza - lack basic supplies and equipment.
But didn't Israel withdraw from Gaza? How is it still an occupying power?

It’s true that the Israeli government no longer has a presence inside the Gaza Strip. Former Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon ordered the withdrawal of all Israelis (including both soldiers and settlers) from the territory in his 2005 "unilateral disengagement plan".
But the Fourth Geneva Convention applies whenever a state has "effective control" over a territory.

The Israeli government still controls Gaza’s airspace, and its land and sea borders. The only goods and people allowed into Gaza are those approved by the Israeli government.

Last month’s raid on the aid flotilla bound for Gaza is an instructive example. The organisers of the flotilla say their boats were on course to travel through Gazan waters, not Israeli waters. But the Israeli army still attacked the flotilla to prevent it from entering Gaza - showing that Israel maintains control over Gaza.
If there was no occupation, would the blockade still be illegal?

The principle of “proportionality” is central to international law: The military advantage gained by an action must outweigh the harm caused to the civilian population.

The blockade does not meet this test. It imposes hardships on the entire population of Gaza - 1.5 million people - purportedly in order to achieve a limited military aim: preventing Hamas from firing rockets at Israel.

What’s more, documents revealed last week by the Israeli human rights organisation Gisha show that the blockade actually has a political aim, not a military one. A written statement from the Israeli government described the blockade as "economic warfare" and said it was intended to break Hamas’s control over the government in Gaza.
What about the Egyptian government?

The Egyptian border crossing with Gaza, at Rafah, has been mostly sealed since Hamas took power in June of 2007. (The Egyptian government reopened the crossing earlier this month following Israel’s raid on the aid flotilla.)
But Egypt is not an occupying power in Gaza - it does not exercise "effective control" over the territory - so, whatever the moral and political arguments against its blockade, it is not required to apply the same legal standard as Israel.
SOURCE

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!