/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why are names different across religions?

Tyrion
06-02-2010, 07:50 AM
I was just wondering.. Why are certain people's names different depending on which religion you're looking at? Names like Cain and Able/Habil and Qabil, or Jesus/Isa.... If the faiths are revealed by the same god, then shouldnt the names be kept the same throughout time? I'm just curious. Thanks in advance for you replies. =D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
It's just the different languages. For example, even though Jesus is Jesus in English, it is Isa in Arabic and Yeshua in Hebrew.

aadil77
06-02-2010, 12:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
It's just the different languages. For example, even though Jesus is Jesus in English, it is Isa in Arabic and Yeshua in Hebrew.
what he means is they should be the same, Jesus sounds nothing Yeshua, in arabic John is Yahya which again sounds nothing like it, whats john in hebrew?

I think europeans have changed names to suit their pronounciation

Supreme
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
what he means is they should be the same, Jesus sounds nothing Yeshua, in arabic John is Yahya which again sounds nothing like it, whats john in hebrew?

Yep, you'd be right with that last point. I'd have to look it up, but Jesus the name (or its Greek counterpart) is actually a corrupted attempt to translate Yeshua into Greek- it's an innocent mistake, albeit one that has found its way into every European language.

I disagree that they should be the same- every culture has its own language, and no culture should compromise its language for something as insignificant as a name.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Predator
06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Its called "J" walking

Yousef --> Joseph
Younus --> Jonah
Yaqub ---> Jacob
Ayyob----> Job
Shuayb--> Jethro

And thats not all ,,The author of the Bible have stooped so low as to even translate people names

In the Song of Solomon, chapter 5:16, in Hebrew Bible says

"Hikko Mamittakim we kullo Muhammadim Zehdoodeh wa Zehraee Bayna Jerusalem."

is translated to

"His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem."

What else can we expect from

Abdul-Raouf
06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
The name Jesus is called >>>

Yesu in Tamil Language

Supreme
06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
The name Jesus is called >>>

Yesu in Tamil Language
Thank you for this; it would be interesting to find out what the name Jesus is in other languages, especially non-European, Asian languages. Seeing as Christians are present in every culture in the world, there must be many variations of the name.

Asiyah3
06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I was just wondering.. Why are certain people's names different depending on which religion you're looking at? Names like Cain and Able/Habil and Qabil, or Jesus/Isa.... If the faiths are revealed by the same god, then shouldnt the names be kept the same throughout time? I'm just curious. Thanks in advance for you replies. =D
One reason might be that at that time writing wasn't invented so the name depended on the pronunciation of the spoken language. For example, the name Jenny is pronounced differently by people from different nationalities, hence like this it varied from community to another.

I'm not sure, this theory just came to my mind first.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-02-2010, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
This is because people are from different cultures, and every culture has its own language, so therefore that makes names different!
Yes Islaam is a religion for the whole of mankind, people around the world speak different languages.
For example Jesus in english is Jesus and in arabic Isaa, and in another language i am sure its different.

Pygoscelis
06-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Good point and actually kind of funny. I have met fundamentalist christian nutters who have told me Jesus was his name, he was a white guy with a beard and that if english was good enough for Jesus it is good enough for them and they shouldn't go learning other languages. No, I'm not making that up. They actually claim it and called me an idiot for telling them otherwise. Truly shockingly ignorant eh?

Asiyah3
06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
who have told me Jesus was his name
Just on a side note, does a very certain name matter in reality? Afterall, names are meant to distinguish one from another and for identification purposes, and I don't see how that is not achieved if the name is this or that.

aadil77
06-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Good point and actually kind of funny. I have met fundamentalist christian nutters who have told me Jesus was his name, he was a white guy with a beard and that if english was good enough for Jesus it is good enough for them and they shouldn't go learning other languages. No, I'm not making that up. They actually claim it and called me an idiot for telling them otherwise. Truly shockingly ignorant eh?
I often feel brits and americans have this impression that prophet Isa was some white european man who spoke biblical english

Raaina
06-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I often feel brits and americans have this impression that prophet Isa was some white european man who spoke biblical english
:O you mean he wasn't Next you'll be telling me the tooth fairy doesn't exsist ;D

Woodrow
06-03-2010, 12:43 AM
I can believe that. I have met a number of people who believe the bible came directly from heaven, printed and bound and written in the Elizabethan English of the KJV.

Getting back to the original topic. the problem came about because English is a composite language and the Alphabet used came from several sources. Todays English alphabet has only been around since about the 1600s. Prior English Alphabets had different letters and different pronunciations for the letters that stayed in use. The J was not yet invented and the letter Yr was pronounced like a Y or an H depending on the word as it still is in the Spanish languages. The letter Yr eventually becane the letters J and Y in some cases the J was used where the Y should have been. The English Alphabet at one time only had 24 letters and many sounds had no English letter equivalent.

Old English Alphabet:

Source

جوري
06-03-2010, 04:20 AM
you can read all about the J sickness in Dr. Ahmed deedat's site may Allah swt bless him with paradise's high meed insha'Allah

CHAPTER THREE - WHO IS JEHOVAH? (What is His Name - by Ahmed Deedat)THE "J" SICKNESS
Let us add the vowels as the "Witness" suggests. YHWH becomes YeHoWaH. Juggle as you like but you can never materialise Jehovah! Ask him, from which hat he drew his "J". He will tell you that "this is the 'popular' pronunciation from the 16th century." The exact sound of the four letters YHWH is known neither to the Jews nor to the Gentiles, yet he is ramming JEHOVAH down everyones throats. The European Christians have developed a fondness (sickness) for the letter "J" They add J's where there are no Jays. Look!
Yael he converts to Joel Yehuda to Juda Yeheshua to Joshua Yusuf to Joseph Yunus to Jonah Yesus to Jesus Yehowa to Jehovah There is no end to the Westerner's infatuation for the letter "J." Now in the busy streets of South Africa, he charges people who carelessly cross them for "jay-walking," but nobody charges him for converting Jewish (Yehudi) names into Gentile names.
The letters Y H W H occur in the Hebrew (Jewish) Scriptures 6 823 times, boasts the Jehovah's Witness, and it occurs in combination with the word "Elohim;" 156 times in the booklet called Genesis alone. This combination YHWH/ELOHIM has been consistently translated in the English Bible as "Lord God," "Lord God," Lord God," ad infinitum.
COMMON ORIGIN
What is YHWH; and what is ELOHIM? Since the lews did not articulate the word YHWH for centuries, and since even the Chief Rabbis would not allow the ineffable to be heard, they have forfeited the right to claim dogmatically how the word is to be sounded. We have to seek the aid of the Arab to revive Hebrew, a language which had once died out. In every linguistic difficulty recourse has to be made to Arabic, a sister language, which has remained alive and viable. Racially and linguistically, the Arabs and the Jews have a common origin, going back to Father Abraham.1
Note the startling resemblance between the languages, very often the same sounding words carry identical meaning in both.
HEBREW ARABIC ENGLISH Elah Ilah god Ikhud Ahud one Yaum Yaum day Shaloam Salaam peace Yahuwa Ya Huwa oh he
YHWH or Yehova or Yahuwa all mean the very same thing. "Ya" is a vocative and an exclamatory particle in both Hebrew and Arabic, meaning Oh! And "Huwa" or "Hu" means He, again in both Hebrew and Arabic. Together they mean Oh He! So instead of YHWH ELOHIM, we now have Oh He! ELOHIM.
1. For a closer affinity between Arabs and Jews read Genesis 16:12 and 25:18, and for a further elucidation, see "What the Bible says about Muhammed."

PAGE 3 OF 4

http://www.jamaat.net/name/name3.html

CosmicPathos
06-03-2010, 04:27 AM
br woodrow, mashAllah, I am yet again in awe of the vastness of worldly knowledge which Allah has blessed you with. may Allah continue to help you in putting it to right use. ameen.

Supreme
06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
To be fair, Brits and Americans are only doing what every other culture is doing. Go to a Chinese church, and you'll find a Chinese Jesus who spoke Chinese. Go to a Mexican church, you may find a native American Indian Jesus who spoke Spanish. In fact, very few cultures in the world recognize Jesus as a semitic, Jewish man who spokem Aramaic- it simply doesn't matter what race or language He spoke, the only thing that matters to most Christians is the message of the Gospel.

Ramadhan
06-03-2010, 10:18 AM
To be fair, Brits and Americans are only doing what every other culture is doing. Go to a Chinese church, and you'll find a Chinese Jesus who spoke Chinese. Go to a Mexican church, you may find a native American Indian Jesus who spoke Spanish. In fact, very few cultures in the world recognize Jesus as a semitic, Jewish man who spokem Aramaic- it simply doesn't matter what race or language He spoke, the only thing that matters to most Christians is the message of the Gospel.
In Indonesia, he is called "Tuhan Yesus", meaning "Jesus the God", with no reference at all that he was a semitic jewish man. Astaghfirullah.

almahdali
06-06-2010, 07:54 AM
salaam,

John in aramaic-hebrew I think is Yukhanan. if there was a post like this please delete this, thanks.

shuraimfan4lyf
06-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Asians claim that Prophet Isa was asian, and Africans claim that he was african/black, White people claim that he Prophet Isa was white, mexicans claim same, and etc etc..and no Prophet Isa (alayhi salam) didnt have english accent, he spoke hebrew as far as my knowledge goes. :w:

almahdali
06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Isa (as) spoke in Aramaic, it is the language spoken in their area after they were influenced by the Babylonian. Their Hebrew script used nowadays is actually the script of the Old Assyrians.

Supreme
06-06-2010, 09:43 AM
This is a fascinating video about a remote Syrian community that is the only in the world to speak Aramaic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy38UQ9EQ6o

Woodrow
06-06-2010, 01:02 PM
This is a fascinating video about a remote Syrian community that is the only in the world to speak Aramaic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy38UQ9EQ6o
Actually the Syrian Aramaic is more properly Peshetta rather then pure Aramaic it has considerable Greek influence in it. The Aramaic in the Nazarene is actual Aramaic as is the Aramaic used by the Sabians in Iraq and some Coptics in Egypt. The Peshetta Bible is actually the KJV translated into Aramaic by the Greeks and contains many Greek words that were not found in Aramaic. It has become the foundation for the Syrian Aramaic. True Aramaic is no longer used as a general spoken language and is only used in Religious texts by the groups I mentioned. It is a very interesting language and is quite interesting because of it's similarity to both Hebrew and Arabic. The Coptic, Sabian and Nazarene who use it in their religion find they can converse in all 3 languages with ease.

Here is a transliteration of Aramaic into English letters. Using the Phonetic soundings an Arabic or Hebrew speaker should see the similarity.

aiko yo u taonaithee (SOURCE)

For Arabic speakers compare with: حيث غرفتي

Grace Seeker
06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Not British English, American English.

Al-Indunisiy
06-17-2010, 04:08 AM
It is a very interesting language and is quite interesting because of it's similarity to both Hebrew and Arabic
Really? When I studied a bit on Pe****ta Aramaic, it is very much dissimilar to both. Hebrew and Arabic are conservative languages. Whereas Syrian Aramaic is altered so heavily it is even evident in it's sarf.
But Jewish Palestinian Aramaic, I can see the similarities.

Woodrow
06-17-2010, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Indunisiy
Really? When I studied a bit on Pe****ta Aramaic, it is very much dissimilar to both. Hebrew and Arabic are conservative languages. Whereas Syrian Aramaic is altered so heavily it is even evident in it's sarf.
But Jewish Palestinian Aramaic, I can see the similarities.
Yes the Pe****ta Aramaic is much different from the original Jewish Palestinian Aramaic. It is much closer to being Greek in my opinion.

Al-Indunisiy
06-17-2010, 04:20 AM
Bo, not even closer to Greek. It still has very strong Semitic characteristics to consider it closer to Indo-European.

Woodrow
06-17-2010, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Indunisiy
Bo, not even closer to Greek. It still has very strong Semitic characteristics to consider it closer to Indo-European.
:sl:

I do not see that much Semitic influence in the Pe****ta (Syriac) Aramaic. But maybe because I was looking for the Greek Similarities. The only piece of Pe****ta Aramaic literature I have seen is the Christian Bible written in it and that reads very much like the koine Greek version.

Al-Indunisiy
06-17-2010, 08:57 AM
It still has that common Semitic triliteral roots.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!