/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Man kills friend because he thinks he is possessed

espada
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Mushroom Tea Murder: Man Removes Friend's Still-Beating Heart

After taking psychedelic mushrooms, a California man gouged out his MMA training partner's heart, eyes and tongue, all while he was still alive. Witness testimonies detail the two men's increasing paranoia as it spiraled out of control.

On March 21, Jarrod Wyatt of Crescent City, Calif., killed his friend Taylor Powell after they had both drank mushroom tea. Powell was found without most of his face, and a large incision in his chest. Wyatt told arresting officers that he had cut out Powell's heart and burned it because he thought Powell was possessed by the Devil.

That much we know. The rest is a hazy collection of bizarre, disjointed remembrances, because all of the witnesses were hallucinating heavily. But it's possible to put together a coherent timeline.

•Wyatt, Powell, a third acquaintance, and Wyatt's ex-girlfriend all drank mushroom tea. Wyatt had been in a good mood before ingesting it, but the men's behavior changed almost immediately. Wyatt began complaining that his eyes were burning, and tried to prevent the third man from leaving, even jumping on top of his car as he drove away.

•Wyatt told police he didn't want the man to leave because he was convinced a tidal wave was coming. Powell held him down on the kitchen floor, saying none of them could be saved from the wave, and that the world was going to come to an end.

•At one point, Wyatt yelled at Powell to get his guitar. Powell responded angrily, asking "You wanna ****ing die?" repeatedly.

•Wyatt told police that he had been tormented by spirits in the house, and that "Satan was in that dude [Powell]."

•Wyatt and Powell fought, at point using a rear chokehold familiar from their MMA training together.

•The ex-girlfriend testified that Wyatt and Powell started wrestling on the kitchen floor, though they were later talking about surfing. Later on she saw Powell standing over Wyatt, spitting on him, and "heard sounds she thought were sexual in nature."

•Wyatt removed Powell's heart while he was still alive, according to the coroner's report. He then cooked his body parts in the stove because he was fearful Powell was still alive and needed to "stop the Devil."

•When police arrived, they found Wyatt standing over Powell, naked and covered in his blood. "I killed him," Wyatt said, and asked if they were God coming to save him.
Wyatt's attorney argued that his client had a psychotic break and was incapable of understanding what he was doing. But a judge ruled yesterday that he must stand trial, and will be arraigned tomorrow.

[Times-Standard]

This story is very terrible and here is why i posted it. There is a link to the full story at the link in the title, but warning it's pretty gruesome.

Look at how this man's has conceptualized Shaytan. He allowed the cursed whisperer to delude his mind so much that these actions would occur. See how amazing Islam truly is. We have been taught how and what Shaytan really is.

الحمد لله

It's conflicting emotions though. On the one, hand yes i'm happy that i am Muslim and have been taught the workings of the Shaytan. On the other hand, what do i do to bring this knowledge to those that are in obvious need of it? More and more it's seems like a critical hour in human history. If i have to ask myself whether or not i'm doing enough to spread the true message of Islam to those that don't know it, then the answer is pretty obvious.

These men trained in MMA, fighting arts. It just goes to show that it doesn't matter how much you train your body (and in a way your mind) to fight. This enemy attacks in a different realm. No punch, kick, or chokehold can help you defend yourself.

Attachment 4100

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shuraimfan4lyf
06-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I knew a kid in high school who was on shrooms all the time..he was one of the most weird kids i have ever met...:uuh::X

cat eyes
06-03-2010, 09:27 PM
why is there so many freaks in america:muddlehea

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-03-2010, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shuraimfan4lyf
I knew a kid in high school who was on shrooms all the time..he was one of the most weird kids i have ever met...:uuh::X
What are shrooms?

And Jazakallahu Khayr for the thread. . .
When i got to reading half of the article, i thought to myself it goes more like this, that the guy who killed is the 1 actually posessed!

Anyways...
May Allaah Allmighty protect the Ummah from such foolishness , the traps of Shaytaan Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
06-04-2010, 01:00 AM
shroom are magic mushrooms.
They are certain types of mushrooms that grow on cow dung or bull S**t (literally). They have powerful psychedelic properties, and were popular in the 60s and 70s before the popularization of chemical drugs (ecstasy etc).

Woodrow
06-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Idiotic.

May the courts have sense and follow through with the law that self induced intoxication can mot be justification for escape from punishment. when a person deliberately makes themselves intoxicated, they are responsible for any actions they do while intoxicated, even if they are not aware of what they have done.

Only good part is no innocent person was harmed. The idiot who had his heart cut out is just as responsible. If he had not wanted the cheap thrill of intoxication, he would not have been there.

The other 2 should be held accountable as accessories as they did nothing to prevent it.

May all druggies get a good supply of shrooms. They are not simply a hallucinogenic, they are a deadly poison. Enough usage will remove druggies from this world.

"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

Karina
06-04-2010, 08:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
May all druggies get a good supply of shrooms. They are not simply a hallucinogenic, they are a deadly poison. Enough usage will remove druggies from this world.
Woodrow, frankly I am shocked by this. With all due respect, drug-taking is fundamentally wrong, but I find your solution rather extreme!

Obviously the above case is rather more complex than most, but then again, most drug addicts are not murderers.

Treatment, education, therapy and rehabilitation - surely???

After all - every "druggy" is someone's son, daughter, mum, dad and most importantly a human being!

If there is the possibility that "Druggies" are able to overcome their troubles (which generally, there is) and lead normal lives - how can you incinuate that they all deserve elimination?!

What does Islam say about rehabilitation of addicts? I'm sure it would not be that they all deserve to die, surely a more compassionate approach would be advocated Allah.

:hmm:

cat eyes
06-04-2010, 09:17 AM
not all druggies are willing to help themselves though

its like being really fat and addicted to chocolate and chicken bugars, you will always be tempted

the only difference is druggies are a danger to society

Karina
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
not all druggies are willing to help themselves though

its like being really fat and addicted to chocolate and chicken bugars, you will always be tempted

the only difference is druggies are a danger to society
So they deserve to die?

Drug addiciton, I suspect, is slightly more complex than not having the desire or inclination to help yourself.

Snowflake
06-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Is it any wonder Islam prohibits the use of intoxicants even in small quantities.. Allahu Akbar!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-04-2010, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
So they deserve to die?

Drug addiciton, I suspect, is slightly more complex than not having the desire or inclination to help yourself.

However Drugs are causers of death anyway

And Allaah knows best

Karina
06-04-2010, 11:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
However Drugs are causers of death anyway

And Allaah knows best
They sure are... drugs are life-wrecking and socially devastating - nobody is disputing this.

CosmicPathos
06-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Karina, I am not sure how treatment, education, therapy and rehabilitation can surely rectify the druggies. Are you so sure of yourself? We might try those things. There is no guarantee they will work 100% of the time. Appeal to the humanity of druggies is an emotional argument and please they dont belong in academic circles. So what if they are humans? So by just being a human, which one also had no control over for choosing his genus and species, is one obligated to suffer the miseries of all other humans by being obligated to help them while they are on the loose? I am talking to you from a secular perspective. My comment here does not represent my true beliefs.

Karina
06-04-2010, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
Karina, I am not sure how treatment, education, therapy and rehabilitation can surely rectify the druggies. Are you so sure of yourself? We might try those things. There is no guarantee they will work 100% of the time. Appeal to the humanity of druggies is an emotional argument and please they dont belong in academic circles. So what if they are humans? So by just being a human, which one also had no control over for choosing his genus and species, is one obligated to suffer the miseries of all other humans by being obligated to help them while they are on the loose? I am talking to you from a secular perspective. My comment here does not represent my true beliefs.
I am not saying treatment and rehab work 100% of the time, that would be ludicrous.

All I am saying is that the answer does not lie in 'letting them die because they deserve it for being a drug addict', which is what I feel is being implied. Woodrow also indicated that he would like to see the world rid of addicts through poisoning. From what I know of Islam, that doesn't seem very Islamic to me? But hey, what do I know, correct me here if I am off the mark. I just don't see that as being fair that's all.

For clarity - I am not condoning drug abuse. I just see the situation as infinitely more complex than this.

Would you help a fellow Muslim if he was struggling with addiction or would you look on and watch him die?

CosmicPathos
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I am not saying treatment and rehab work 100% of the time, that would be ludicrous.

All I am saying is that the answer does not lie in 'letting them die because they deserve it for being a drug addict', which is what I feel is being implied. Woodrow also indicated that he would like to see the world rid of addicts through poisoning. From what I know of Islam, that doesn't seem very Islamic to me? But hey, what do I know, correct me here if I am off the mark. I just don't see that as being fair that's all.

For clarity - I am not condoning drug abuse. I just see the situation as infinitely more complex than this.

Would you help a fellow Muslim if he was struggling with addiction or would you look on and watch him die?
I do not think woodrow meant it in the way you took it. All he was saying was that druggies who do not want to get off the drugs would be eliminated automatically by their own doings.

I'd help a Muslim get out of his addiction. But if they do not want to get out of drug abuse, I'd question whether they are really Muslim and know what Islam says about drugs.

Karina
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Agreed: I would help anyone who wanted to be helped too. Anyone who did not wish to be free of the situation and wanted to self-destruct is welcome to their drug-induced demise.

However, Woodrow made an (uncharacteristic) sweeping generalisation about addicts, and I suppose I felt it was necessary to point out that drug addiction is not as clear cut as that.

:)

cat eyes
06-04-2010, 01:52 PM
So they deserve to die?

i didnt say we should kill them. im saying alot of druggies dont want any help. they would probably get violent with you even for trying to help.

you seem to be very soft when it comes to protecting the innocent ones in society. a girl whom i worked with was stabbed in the arm by a junkie and he infected her with aids whilst she was getting money from an atm machine

now will you say so easily ''awww we should help these poor little druggies'' i mean wake up. no offense.

yes we should help those ones who want to be helped but you can't help some one who don't want any help!

Karina
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i didnt say we should kill them. im saying alot of druggies dont want any help. they would probably get violent with you even for trying to help.

you seem to be very soft when it comes to protecting the innocent ones in society. a girl whom i worked with was stabbed in the arm by a junkie and he infected her with aids whilst she was getting money from an atm machine

now will you say so easily ''awww we should help these poor little druggies'' i mean wake up. no offense.

yes we should help those ones who want to be helped but you can't help some one who don't want any help!
And no offense to you either, but I think you've misinterpreted what I said - I didn't think you meant to 'kill' them - I said the implication was that they should be left to die and this is wrong. And you've rightly echoed what I said, and that is that we should help those who want to be helped.

No, (your comment was not in the least patronising, lol!) I am not soft when it comes to people and I don't need to wake up (but thanks); the difference is that I am fully able to take a multifaceted view of situations and realise that not everything is quite what it seems on the surface. I'd like to think that I am not quick to judge like so many are. I like to put myself in other people's shoes. There's more than one side to every story and all that. :sunny:

It's a shame about your friend, that's terrible....although I'd like to think that violence on that level is the exception rather than the rule in society. :sunny:

ANYWAY, back to the Mushroom Murderers...... :skeleton:

espada
06-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Drugs are an interesting topic of conversation indeed. Apparently magic mushrooms have certain "health" benefits. From Wikipedia:

There have been calls for medical investigation of the use of synthetic and mushroom-derived psilocybin for the development of improved treatments of various mental conditions, including chronic cluster headahes following numerous anecdotal reports of benefits. There are also several accounts of psilocybin mushrooms sending both ("OCD") and OCD-related clinical depression (both being widespread and debilitating mental health conditions) into complete remission immediately and for up to months at a time, compared to current medications which often have both limited efficacy[21] and frequent undesirable side-effects.
It's just like the whole debate surrounding the Canabis plant. Had it not been for its psychoactive properties, that plant would be seen in so much more of a positive light, due to its medicinal/material properties.

This is from a news story about the anti-bacterial properties of cannabis:

Scientists say THC could be ready for use in the near(er) future as a combatant against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), an often fatal bacteria responsible for difficult-to-treat infections in humans, commonly found in hospitals or jails, where the residents have open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems. The compound would serve as a topical agent, preventing microbes from colonizing on the skin. Whatever name you choose to call it—pot, reefer, weed, hemp—cannabis could end up being the drug for microbial strains that no other drugs can cure.
Another story about research into the potential cancer killing properties of cannabis:

Researchers at California Pacific Medical Center, in a study published this month in the Journal of Neuro-Oncology, found that THC decreases cell proliferation and increases cell death of glial cancer cells while having no significant impact on normal glial cells. Glial cells support and protect neurons within the brain. What's unusual about the study is it compared THC to a synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonist that acts on the same receptors in the brain as THC. This synthetic is usually more potent than THC. The study, though, found the synthetic was not only less effective, but also produced a greater disruption of normal cells.
But the Quran nails it in Surat Al Baqarah verse 219 (only will post Shakir translation):

SHAKIR: They ask you about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: In both of them there is a great sin and means of profit for men, and their sin is greater than their profit. And they ask you as to what they should spend. Say: What you can spare. Thus does Allah make clear to you the communications, that you may ponder

Some benefits, but the sin is greater. And in the case of this news item, Surat Al Ma'ida verse 91 fits:

SHAKIR: The Shaitan only desires to cause enmity and hatred to spring in your midst by means of intoxicants and games of chance, and to keep you off from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. Will you then desist?

Drug abuse is a terrible thing and in some cases, the "treatment" is worse than the abuse. Read up on heroin abuse and methadone treatment clinics.

Lynx
06-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Funny OP story. Better not to mess around with the brain as I always say.

Anyone who did not wish to be free of the situation and wanted to self-destruct is welcome to their drug-induced demise.
I think the two questions arise out of this situation: 1) is the response of a drug addict really** their honest response when asked about their addiction? I think their judgment is a bit impaired. 2) How paternalistic should we be in regards to drug addicts?

Woodrow
06-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Woodrow, frankly I am shocked by this. With all due respect, drug-taking is fundamentally wrong, but I find your solution rather extreme!

Obviously the above case is rather more complex than most, but then again, most drug addicts are not murderers.

Treatment, education, therapy and rehabilitation - surely???

After all - every "druggy" is someone's son, daughter, mum, dad and most importantly a human being!

If there is the possibility that "Druggies" are able to overcome their troubles (which generally, there is) and lead normal lives - how can you incinuate that they all deserve elimination?!

What does Islam say about rehabilitation of addicts? I'm sure it would not be that they all deserve to die, surely a more compassionate approach would be advocated Allah.

:hmm:
I might have worded that a touch stronger then I intended. I believe that any person who deliberately takes an intoxicant is responsible for anything they do while intoxicated and intoxication is not a defense. As far as feeding all "Druggies" deadly shrooms. I admit that is too much of a generalization. Being a Vietnam era vet I have had seen many of my former military acquaintances destroy their lives because of drugs. I have very painful knowledge of how difficult it is for a person with PTSD to keep from wanting to find the means to escape from reality. But, I still stand solid in my opinion any person deliberately taking any intoxicant needs to be held accountable for what they do while intoxicated.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!