/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on violent video games?

Samiun
06-05-2010, 05:09 PM
:sl: Brothers and Sisters, as the video game industry grow each year I begin to see a lot of violent video games being sold at my country. Games that promotes violent and god-like features such as God of War which promotes gods fighting with each other and this begin to worry me as it could definitely effect a Muslim's mindset about god. There's no doubt that not all Muslim will have the same outcome, but the fact that it could effect 'some' Muslims is a bad thing.

I have heard games like Counter-Strike and Quake could improve your reflex at real life because you could arrange your strategies in a unique or aggressive way, but in reality these type of games could easily make an individual being too focused on the game until they waste hours upon hours on the game to the extent of neglecting their religion (ie not performing salat).

If these type of game(shooting games) is haram , I found it incredibly hard to believe these type of games are well, haram, because it is part of my interest in life. I am trying to leave this addiction(Been 2 months now) but everyday it seems that it is continuing to make me play the game again.

So what are your thoughts about violent video games?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Aslaamu Alaaykum . .
My opinion is that these games are a waste of precious time! Remember to focus on doing something usefull and beneficial.
I know for sure that when you get stuck into some retarded game, and suddenly its Salaah time, and then the person playing the games like "Oh ill pray in a few" lol, that few turns into an hour and then 2 and so on.
Its better to stay away, because when you do go pray, you will be like "Oh must get this prayer over n done with and get back to ze game" LOL thats a fact indeed!

When you are standing infront of you Lord Allaah, stand with respect and you must keep your mind focused on Salaah not on anything else, Remember there is a reward for Salaah and its for your Benefit not for anyone else`s. Because Remember that day will shall come when you will be on your own infront of Allaah Subhanu Wa tala, you dont want to see him in Anger but to be pleased with you (I remind myself before i remind others, same goes for everyone).

Those who are steadfast in seeking the face of their Lord, and establish salat and give from the provision We have given them, secretly and openly, and stave off evil with good, it is they who will have the ultimate Abode. (Surat ar-Ra'd, 22)

Every Prophet has prayed Salaah

For Prophet Ibrahim (as):

[Ibrahim said:] "My Lord! Make me and my descendants people who establish salat. My Lord! Accept my prayer." (Surah Ibrahim, 40)

For Prophet Isma'il (as):

Mention Isma'il in the Book. He was true to his promise and was a messenger and a prophet. He used to command his people to do salat and give the alms and he was pleasing to his Lord. (Surah Maryam, 54-55)

For Prophet Musa (as):

I am Allah. There is no god but Me, so worship Me and establish salat to remember Me. (Surah Ta Ha, 14)

For Prophet Isa (as):

He said: "I am the servant of Allah, He has given me the Book and made me a prophet. He has made me blessed wherever I am and directed me to do salat and give the alms as long as I live." (Surah Maryam, 30-31)

Maryam, depicted as a role model for all women, was also commanded to establish salat:

"Maryam, obey your Lord and prostrate and bow with those who bow." (Surah al 'Imran, 43)

It is indeed wonderful to know they all established Salaah and were all commanded by the same Lord Allaah

Pray every Salaah as if its your final Salaah, with sincerety and that your Lord will Reward you!

Hope that helped InshaaAllaah

Wa Alaaykum Salaam

Samiun
06-07-2010, 12:30 AM
:sl: Thanks for your opinion sister, anyone else?

S<Chowdhury
06-07-2010, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabiel
:sl: Brothers and Sisters, as the video game industry grow each year I begin to see a lot of violent video games being sold at my country. Games that promotes violent and god-like features such as God of War which promotes gods fighting with each other and this begin to worry me as it could definitely effect a Muslim's mindset about god. There's no doubt that not all Muslim will have the same outcome, but the fact that it could effect 'some' Muslims is a bad thing.

I have heard games like Counter-Strike and Quake could improve your reflex at real life because you could arrange your strategies in a unique or aggressive way, but in reality these type of games could easily make an individual being too focused on the game until they waste hours upon hours on the game to the extent of neglecting their religion (ie performing salat).

If these type of game(shooting games) is haram , I found it incredibly hard to believe these type of games are well, haram, because it is part of my interest in life. I am trying to leave this addiction(Been 2 months now) but everyday it seems that it is continuing to make me play the game again.

So what are your thoughts about violent video games?
Your right for those hardcore gamers you see playing on xbox live or any other multi player game, it is a waste of time if your spending ridiculous amount of time staring into a screen....its a pretty sad existence living in a virtual world......so agreed it does affect some people in a bad way

But personally a light game here and there isn't all too bad, an hour or so to kick back on the sofa n play a quick game of CoD n stuff...as long as u aint 1 of the zombies n a game addict n not neglecting your islamic duties its alright to play a video game personally

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Detritavore
06-07-2010, 05:37 AM
I don't think the problem with violent video games is that they waste time because if we started condemning deeds on the grounds that they 'waste time' then a lot of acts would come under scrutiny (and rightfully so in my opinion). I also think that many things have the power to distract one from worship even seemingly righteous acts and so I don't frown upon these games because some people have exceptionally poor time management skills.

The main problem I personally have with violent video games is their power to influence especially when considering the age group they target. I remember reading something about children who play with war toys showing aggressive tendencies or something to that effect. Children and adolescents are very impressionable and we should protect them of such negative influences.

And honestly people who try to justify violent video games on the grounds that they may "improve your reflexes" are being delusional and you're right not to listen to them.

tango92
06-07-2010, 05:05 PM
i guess some violence is ok. if its comical eg simpsons style

but stuff like gta where killing is glorified is probably haram. cause for one it distresses any normal minded person, and if people see you playing these games it is a reflection on your character as a muslim.

Supreme
06-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Violent video games are fine in moderation- just don't let them dominate your life, or become an addiction. If anything, I've discovered them a surefire way to release stress or frustration. In my experience at least, they've made me less violent- the more I get to take out a problem on a virtual character in a videogame, the smaller the urge is to release my emotions on a fellow human being or animal. I think it's ridiculous to draw any correlation between violent video games and violence in real life, and violent videogames are an entertaining way to pass the time.

Lynx
06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Well violent video games aren't anymore addictive than other video games. Real time strategy games, RPG games & MMORPG games are just as addictive (in the case of MMORPG perhaps even more!). Anyway, question is where do you draw the line between recreational fun and addiction? I suppose it's when you are neglecting your life for your recreational activities so if that is going on then video games are bad for you. If not then who cares.

aamirsaab
06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I love me some super sf4.

As long as you aren't neglecting your Islamic duties, then it's not a problem. But, don't be a WOW zombie and hog the net all day like some weirdos do.

And drink 8 glasses of water a day!

Supreme
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I love me some super sf4.

As long as you aren't neglecting your Islamic duties, then it's not a problem. But, don't be a WOW zombie and hog the net all day like some weirdos do.

And drink 8 glasses of water a day!
And make sure the water is hard- those calcium ions help improve the strength of bones and teeth, plus reduce the risk of heart disease, remember.

Samiun
06-10-2010, 01:51 AM
:sl:, I finally came across this quote on Islamqa.com it says:

We should also point out that it is not permissible to compete for prizes in playing these electronic games, even if the game itself is permissible, because they are not a means of jihaad, and they do not help you develop strength for jihaad.
Source: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/2898/games

Oh come on now, why is it not permissible to compete prizes? That's why I play, to compete just like in any sport. So that means if we play football to compete for prize money it's not permissible too?

cat eyes
06-10-2010, 02:30 AM
its great fun when you don't get addicted to it:hiding::p

Candle
06-10-2010, 05:38 AM
I enjoy them during vacations when I'm home from school. However, I think it's a good idea to stick to light-hearted games or strategy games. Games like GTA are like junk food for the soul.

Fuaadh
06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
games like Left for Dead and other zomby games shouldn't be sold IMO, I see alot of people in my age (14) playing it and it isn't safe.

COD MW2 is alright I think since there isn't that much blood (except the no russian level, I got told to uninstall the game after my dad saw me playing it :( lol)

Samiun
06-11-2010, 03:01 AM
:sl: Thank you, for all you're opinions. Now, anyone could help with post #11?

Fuaadh
06-11-2010, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabiel
:sl:, I finally came across this quote on Islamqa.com it says:

Oh come on now, why is it not permissible to compete prizes? That's why I play, to compete just like in any sport. So that means if we play football to compete for prize money it's not permissible too?
Brother you can't compare video games with football or any other sport (which you move around) because if you have the niyyah to play football to be active and that activeness will bring you closer to Allah then that is a form of worship. Video games on the other hand is a waste of time and it makes ur sight go bad if played for long starting at the monitor (you can see hardcore gamers who compete for prizes, they look dumb), you might aswell read Quran in that precious time.

Samiun
06-15-2010, 10:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fuaadh
Brother you can't compare video games with football or any other sport (which you move around) because if you have the niyyah to play football to be active and that activeness will bring you closer to Allah then that is a form of worship. Video games on the other hand is a waste of time and it makes ur sight go bad if played for long starting at the monitor (you can see hardcore gamers who compete for prizes, they look dumb), you might aswell read Quran in that precious time.
:sl: brother, I don't know where you see hardcore gamers who compete for prizes look dumb. But as far as I know games that needs teamwork to win is the opposite of what you said. When you win a competition you celebrate it, just like when you win in a computer-game tournament you celebrate it. Like when you look at football, they sometimes celebrate by running around the field. In this particular game that needs teamwork, they shout when they win. It creates a passionate atmosphere when it happens and this is one of the reasons why I got myself trying to be involved.

Example:
#1 Celebrating Victory
LINK 1
#2 Life of a Gamer
LINK 2

Samiun
06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
:sl: Bumping this thread

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!