/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Advice and Support section

glo
06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Due to recent complaints and concerns of a few sincere members, some changes had to be made to this section in regard to posting abilities of the members.

All members who do not have access to the gender specific rooms will be able to create a new thread seeking advice, reply to their own thread, and view the replies given by all members irrespective of the thread starter. They will not be able to reply to threads not created by themselves. Only the Members of Private gender rooms will be able to reply to the threads created by others, in this section.
Can I ask for clarification why this decision has been made? And what the complaints and concerns in question were?
Why is the posting in all threads restricted to people you have access the the gender specific rooms? That doesn't seem to make sense ...

... unless you are trying to prevent newbies and non-Muslims from participating in the threads in that particular section, and from offering their support and advice. :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
This is discrimination!

Lawsuit, lawsuit!

But yeah, who honestly took time out of their life to 'complain' about this nonsense?

Muhammad
06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Greetings,

I don't think it's necessary to go into details about the concerns or complaints. It is sufficient to say that the decision has been made with the best interests of the forum in mind, and it is not to say that new members or non-Muslims are incapable of giving good advice.

But yeah, who honestly took time out of their life to 'complain' about this nonsense?
Well, complaints can sometimes be very useful for learning how to improve. I'm not sure why you think it is nonsense.

We apologise for the restrictions posed on those wishing to benefit other members with their advice and support.

PouringRain
06-10-2010, 02:55 AM
I think it is a shame also that non-muslims are now restricted from being able to reply to threads in that section. For example, I would have liked to answer this poster about her question regarding doctors in American culture: http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...e-knowers.html Unfortunately, due to the new restrictions, I am not able to reply to her.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-10-2010, 06:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings,
It is sufficient to say that the decision has been made with the best interests of the forum in mind, and it is not to say that new members or non-Muslims are incapable of giving good advice.
With all due respect, if that's the view of the moderation, why make a ruling which categorically prevents all new members and non-Muslims from posting in the Advice and Support Section?
Why not do what is done in other sections and send all new posts for mod approval before they are posted publicly?

Abu Zainab
06-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Ok what about this thread http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-support/134297771-why-u-people-against-me-what-i-said.html

Why can't I post a comment on this one? When I click on 'Reply to Thread' all I get is:

Imraan, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

To glo, supreme and PouringRain: This obviously shows there is no discrimination.

Alpha Dude
06-10-2010, 09:09 AM
^ You don't have access to the brothers' room.

Abu Zainab
06-10-2010, 09:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
^ You don't have access to the brothers' room.
Oh! My apologies to glo, supreme and PouringRain.

In this case I have a suggestion: Whenever someone asks a question in this section let them choose the nature of the question. Two options: Islamic or general. In Islamic we can keep the same rules but in general let all members answer.

Muhammad
06-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
With all due respect, if that's the view of the moderation, why make a ruling which categorically prevents all new members and non-Muslims from posting in the Advice and Support Section?
Why not do what is done in other sections and send all new posts for mod approval before they are posted publicly?
It is unfortunate that helpful advice from new members and non-Muslims can no longer be given under the new restrictions, but sometimes to achieve a greater good some loss has to be incurred. Note that the restrictions will not solely be impacting new members and non-Muslims; some Muslims who are full members but not accepted into the private sections will also come under the restriction. (And the restriction is prevention from replying to others' threads, not prevention from posting at all).

It would be very difficult to sift through all the posts in a busy section like Advice & Support to remove inappropriate replies. I am sure it has already been suggested but for the reason mentioned we decided to try an alternative method instead. Nevertheless, your suggestion is noted and we will consider it for future changes.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Asiyah3
06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Al-hamdulillah I'm very glad for this change. It's a great idea because I've seen some ignorant members post unIslamic advice.

In my opinion, that'd be only slower. Always needing to wait for the approval of mods. In addition, some advice seekers need advice quickly.

Life_Is_Short
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
:sl:

Since this thread is to do with "Advice and Support" section, can i ask where the anonymous posting option is?

Jazak'Allah Khair

glo
06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by **muslimah**
Al-hamdulillah I'm very glad for this change. It's a great idea because I've seen some ignorant members post unIslamic advice.
I doubt that excluding people who are not in the gender specific sections will ensure that all advice given is beneficial and Islamic ... :hmm:

In my opinion, that'd be only slower. Always needing to wait for the approval of mods. In addition, some advice seekers need advice quickly.
I agree with that point.
Some people are desperate for advice and need it ASAP.

glo
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Thank you for you reply, Muhammad.

I have to say that I am very disappointed not to be able to post in the Advice and Support section anymore.
But I accept that this is the mods decision - at least for now.

I hope the Advice and Support section continues to be a thriving and beneficial part of this forum.

Asiyah3
06-10-2010, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I doubt that excluding people who are not in the gender specific sections will ensure that all advice given is beneficial and Islamic ... :hmm:
I think it'll be much effective. I don't know about the brothers section, but the sisters in the sisters section are very knowledgeable and supportive masha'llah.

May Allah bless them.

glo
06-10-2010, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by **muslimah**
I think it'll be much effective. I don't know about the brothers section, but the sisters in the sisters section are very knowledgeable and supportive masha'llah.

May Allah bless them.
Time will tell. I hope you are right. In my experience it is often the youngsters who can give the least beneficial advice ...
(No offense, you young 'uns! But some give advice hastily, without taking time to think it through. It's just so easy to hit that 'Submit Reply' button! :D)

Far7an
06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

This was a very neccassary step. This is an Islamic forum and at times some of the advice that was given in that section was made in haste or without knowledge. There is an etiquette to giving advice, there have been countless times that I've decided against replying to a thread for fear that I may say something which is not correct.

Glo, you have experience, wisdom and knowledge in some areas. However I'm sure you'll accept that there are certain areas in a Muslim's life that are very sensitive. Without having the correct knowledge how can we possibly provide the best advice?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!