/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Catholic TV asked Yusuf Estes- Why he Converted to Islam!

Amat Allah
06-08-2010, 09:03 PM

enjoy

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
06-08-2010, 11:18 PM
JazakiAllah khair for sharing sis

Yusef Estes is one of my favorite speakers, May Allah reward him

Raaina
06-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing sis.

Yusef Estes is one of the first speakers I heard before I converted. I really enjoy his lectures and speeches :)

Gabriel Ibn Yus
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
What a special man. Thank you!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amat Allah
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
My sweet dear and precious sisters Danah and mystical_moon and my respected and noble brother Gabriel Ibn Yus may Allah love you all and reward you with the highest levels of the paradise (Jannatulfirdaws) without being reckoning Ameeeeeeen

I love our brother Yusuf Estes soo much may Allah love him and be pleased with him Ameeeeeeeen

glo
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
To be honest, I am baffled by this.

Yusuf Estes was a priest, and when asked by a Muslim friend why he thinks Christianity is better than Islam, the best he can could up with was to say "Ermm ... we don't have to pray five times a day or fast for a whole month"??
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I mean, that is the limpest argument for being a Christian I have ever heard!

It makes me wonder just how much Yusuf Estes understood about God and the Christian faith, and what kind of Christian he was - let alone what kind of priest! :hmm:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
:sl:

Great! JazakAllah Khayr ukhti may Allah reward you Ameen.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
SubhaanAllaah almost made me cry :(

Jazakallahu Khayr for sharing , Yusuf Estes`s lectures are really nice to listen to, his words are touching and he is a sincere Man MashaAllaah

Danah
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Yusuf Estes was a priest, and when asked by a Muslim friend why he thinks Christianity is better than Islam, the best he can could up with was to say "Ermm ... we don't have to pray five times a day or fast for a whole month"??
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I mean, that is the limpest argument for being a Christian I have ever heard!

It makes me wonder just how much Yusuf Estes understood about God and the Christian faith, and what kind of Christian he was - let alone what kind of priest! :hmm:
Hi

I think you better watch the full story here to get the whole pic:
http://www.watchislam.com/videos/video.php?vid=3

Amat Allah
06-09-2010, 09:47 PM

Ma'am, remember this is a part of his conversation with his friend not everything he said, and isn`t it right that you don`t have to pray 5 times a day and fast for a whole month as a christian? if the answer is yes then what is wrong with what he has said? he didn`t lie, did he?

And sweetie, don`t be baffled more, cause he is not a priest anymore...may Allah keep him and all of us firm on the true religion of Allah The Only God Who deserves to be worshipped alone with no partner,The One ,The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He neither eats nor drinks ,The One Who begets not, nor was He begotten; Whom there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him......

If you want to talk with him and ask him about this contact him in :

www.chatislam.com

Or send him an e mail on :

yusuf@shareislam.com

yusuf@99islam.com

May Allah lead your way to the path of the endless happiness...Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen ^^

Amat Allah
06-09-2010, 09:52 PM
my dears Light of Heaven, мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє and Danah ,may Allah love you all and reward you with the best always and for ever...Ameeeeeeeeeen Danah habibat qalbi, Jazaki Allahu khayer Al jazzaa`a for the post ^^

Woodrow
06-09-2010, 10:38 PM

Although I never met him I did meet several of his family. I know they were not Catholic. Brother Yusuf was more of a non-denominational preacher and was very active with Oral Roberts, Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggert. He could best be described as having been a Charismatic. Evangelical, Non-Denomination Missionary. Very much a fundamentalist. From best I could find out he listed his religion only as Christian. Very much a Bible based preacher.

glo
06-10-2010, 06:18 AM
^
Thank you, Woodrow. That is helpful.
He certainly sounds like a well-spoken and articulate man.

I guess you can personally relate to his faith journey? :)

What struck me about the particular argument (about Christians not needing to pray five times a day etc) he made, is that I largely consider that to be an argument made by Muslims, not by Christians.
At least it certainly wouldn't be the first thing that would spring to my mind if anybody asked me why I was a Christian and not a Muslim.
So it seems a little strange to me that at the very moment when Yusuf Estes (whatever his name was then) thought he was at the point where he could get his Muslim friend to convert, he would come out with that particular argument ...

Having said that, he is speaking as a Muslim now, so perhaps it is understandable that he would want to use a 'Muslim argument' to support his own faith.

Out of interest, how long since he converted to Islam?

جوري
06-10-2010, 06:31 AM
I think he didn't wish to be offensive, the triple headed god along with forsaking, ineffectual apostles and abrogations of previous commandments through his nemesis saul, books with no textual integrity and the distillate is worship of a west asian man seem to be a sore subject for most if not all christians .. he was being diplomatic.

all the best

shuraimfan4lyf
06-10-2010, 06:34 AM
detail of yusuf estes journey to Islam..

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/yusuf/p...hers.htm#story . He came to Islam in early 1990s

glo
06-10-2010, 06:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I think he didn't wish to be offensive, the triple headed god along with forsaking, ineffectual apostles and abrogations of previous commandments through his nemesis saul, books with no textual integrity and the distillate is worship of a west asian man seem to be a sore subject for most if not all christians .. he was being diplomatic.

all the best
Your choice of wording and the underlying venom always make me laugh, Lilly. You have such an energy about you! :)

If Yusuf gave this interview to a Catholic TV channel, then your explanation that he was trying to be diplomatic and not too hurtful and aggressive with his wording could well be right.
If that's the case, it raises Yusuf Estes in my estimation.
Being kind and respectful towards others, no matter how different your views and beliefs, is a great attribute to have.

Amat Allah
06-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Being kind and respectful towards others, no matter how different your views and beliefs, is a great attribute to have.
right ...^^.

I apologize for any disrspect my sister glo , if it was from me or from anyone else here...

may Allah open all the doors of real success for you in this life and in the hereafter and lead your way to the path of the endless happiness and all mankind and jins Ameen

take care...

leaving you under Allah`s sight...

Insaanah
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM
When asked why he thought Christianity was better than Islam he couldn't really say, "Because we believe in one God manifest in three persons, one of whom dies for three days then he has to let part of himself be killed by humans and die suffering a painful and terrible death in order to demonstrate his love for mankind and forgive their sins if they believe that", could he really, that just wouldn't wash with a Muslim. He knew he couldn't use the core of his belief to promote his faith to a Muslim, because the logic of that belief wasn't there. Thus he had to resort to the fact that Christians don't pray five times a day or fast Ramadhan.

And Allah knows best as to Brother Yusuf's reasons.

Woodrow
06-10-2010, 02:19 PM
^
Thank you, Woodrow. That is helpful.
He certainly sounds like a well-spoken and articulate man.

I guess you can personally relate to his faith journey? :)

What struck me about the particular argument (about Christians not needing to pray five times a day etc) he made, is that I largely consider that to be an argument made by Muslims, not by Christians.
At least it certainly wouldn't be the first thing that would spring to my mind if anybody asked me why I was a Christian and not a Muslim.
So it seems a little strange to me that at the very moment when Yusuf Estes (whatever his name was then) thought he was at the point where he could get his Muslim friend to convert, he would come out with that particular argument ...

Having said that, he is speaking as a Muslim now, so perhaps it is understandable that he would want to use a 'Muslim argument' to support his own faith.

Out of interest, how long since he converted to Islam?
It would have been very difficult for him to give an interview to a Catholic and remain respectable and not offend the interviewer. I suspect that the interviewer would have been trying to box him into a corner and than use the argument that the reason he converted was because he was not a Catholic. I met some of his family in the late 1960s when I had just gotten out of the air Force and was working for Universal Oil. His family had made their wealth from oil. One of his relatives Billy Sol Estes became the center figure of a notorious oil fraud scam.

He reverted to Islam about 15 years before I did. I have unsuccessfully tried to meet him in person several times, for a while I was exchanging emails with him. But for one reason or another he and I were never able to be in the same city at the same time. But, there is some purpose why Allaah(swt) has determined I would never meet Bro Yusuf face to face. Perhaps one day Inshallah.

جوري
06-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Your choice of wording and the underlying venom always make me laugh, Lilly. You have such an energy about you! :)
I have no more obvious venom dear lady than yours, being tasteless and colorless doesn't make you any less potent!
but we are always glad to tickle your humerus as you do ours especially when god speaks to you directly and orders you to make tea for your hubby :D
If Yusuf gave this interview to a Catholic TV channel, then your explanation that he was trying to be diplomatic and not too hurtful and aggressive with his wording could well be right.
If that's the case, it raises Yusuf Estes in my estimation.
Indeed.. I'd be weary of speaking so frankly of folks I used to be akin to.. it is always nice to sugar coat the truth a little!

all the best

glo
06-10-2010, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It would have been very difficult for him to give an interview to a Catholic and remain respectable and not offend the interviewer. I suspect that the interviewer would have been trying to box him into a corner and than use the argument that the reason he converted was because he was not a Catholic.
I think that's the point Lily and others were making too.

Interesting though, that he was invited on a Catholic TV show to talk about his conversion to Islam. I wonder if it was simply meant to give him an opportunity to tell his story, or was it for the purpose of a debate?

Can you imagine an apostate of Islam being invited onto an Islamic TV show to tell his/her story of how s/he left Islam?

Woodrow
06-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I think that's the point Lily and others were making too.

Interesting though, that he was invited on a Catholic TV show to talk about his conversion to Islam. I wonder if it was simply meant to give him an opportunity to tell his story, or was it for the purpose of a debate?

Can you imagine an apostate of Islam being invited onto an Islamic TV show to tell his/her story of how s/he left Islam?
I suspect the TV show had a somewhat hidden agenda. Many Catholic Priests and seminarians have reverted to Islam. I suspect they wanted to take the attention off Catholics who revert and shift the attention to it being Non-Catholic ministers who revert. I feel the emphasis was to show that Yusuf Islam was not a Catholic before he reverted.

glo
06-10-2010, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I suspect the TV show had a somewhat hidden agenda. Many Catholic Priests and seminarians have reverted to Islam. I suspect they wanted to take the attention off Catholics who revert and shift the attention to it being Non-Catholic ministers who revert. I feel the emphasis was to show that Yusuf Islam was not a Catholic before he reverted.
It would be interesting to watch the whole interview, as it was presented on the Catholic TV channel.

glo
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Lily, I would like to apologise for writing that because it isn't true.

It is true that I genuinely admire your creative vocabulary and that it often makes me laugh; but I find your anger often upsetting and your comments sometimes very personal and hurtful.

If I have ever said anything which has angered you or offended you, I would like to apologise. It is never my intention to deliberately hurt others.
I pray that we there will be peace between us.

Salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!