/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Emotion Blocker?

- Qatada -
06-09-2010, 03:47 PM
asalaam alaikum warahmatulah wabarakatuh

Are you an emotion blocker?

Extreme Emotion & Emotion Blocking.

What

Why

How

When

Just imagine that time when you got really offended by someone because of something they did to you. They might have sworn at you, or hit you, or taken something away from you that you really loved. This made you want to cry because you couldn't do anything back.. but you never cried, you tried to stop your tears. You told yourself to be stronger than that, so whenever the emotions were going to come out, you tensed yourself.

In effect; you blocked your emotions.

Why did you block your emotions?

Because you hated the pain.

Because you never wanted to show others that you're weak.

Because you thought that it would be better than always being the weak one who everyone hurts.

ar-Razi - love is weakness, so dont have it.

Block emotion so you can get over the pain and move on in life. [put thought on back of mind].

'Its all in the mind'.

You gain strength through blocking emotion because your emotions dont come in the way.

You become more rational.

You feel dead.

Memories are not formed due to a lack of attachment of emotion to the memory = less memories preserved. Every memory you have has an emotion attached to it, and when you go over that memory again - you remember that emotion which re-inforces the feelings of that time. The more you cherish that memory, the longer it stays in your mind. With a lack of emotion - you don't remember clearly, so gaps in memories 'breaks' the time-line, which in effect makes you more forgetful of what happened in the past. This 'break' in the time-line makes you less attached because you don't understand your own history clearly - so you become forgetful of your own self [since your history makes you who you are.]

You can make yourself believe in whatever you want, and it will become a reality. Its your thoughts, and every thought you think is interpreted by you because you alone saw that perception. Your perception of the world will affect your decisions and future.

A Side Effect
: This technique can bring extreme emotion through moments of panic - even for circumstances which might might not be too scary. This is because your emotions are always blocked, but when this trend is broken [i.e. you're offguard to resisting emotion] - your emotions come rushing back to you all at once - flooding your mind. A normal emotion might bring back memories of past experiences when you were in that state. Those feelings flow back into you, and you're overpowered by them, unless you can resist it once more, or you come out of that emotional state by returning back to your normal mental state.

Total Emotion blocking is an extreme

Conclusion
: It Should be used in necessity alone, like how naturally people move on in life by controlling their emotions. If its used for everything, then your life doesn't really make sense and you lose understanding of all reality [wahdatul wujood believers fell into this?].

People naturally want to be loved. Bedouin who had around over 10 kids and never kissed one of them in his life. Allah's Messenger criticized him for not having mercy in his heart.

Anyone who tries this method, will naturally go mad. Unless, they have someone they can share their emotions with someone else, or they have future hopes which keep them strong. If the person doesn't have emotion with the world, he will probably have love for Allah who they can share their emotions to. If they don't have Allah, then they will probably have an unhealthy lifestyle with harmful results.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
seek-paradise
06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
ًًfeelings and emotions are important to be a good and normal human
whenever you can lead and direct it - it will be positive thing but if it is the only thing that direct and guide in absence of your mind and what Allah tell you to do making you lost your control..sure it must be blocked and forgotten
little bit hurt better than to be for ever
May Allah be with us all and guiding us

LauraS
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I show my emotions more in private, I don't really like crying in front of people and I don't like the idea of having a big cry with someone or being fussed over. It's funny because I feel this expecially with my parents, I'm close to my parents and sometimes I might feel like a hug from my mum but I can never go up and just do it and I don't like crying in front of them more than everybody. I don't understand why though.

aadil77
06-11-2010, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LauraS
II'm close to my parents and sometimes I might feel like a hug from my mum but I can never go up and just do it and I don't like crying in front of them more than everybody. I don't understand why though.
why not? they're your parents there shouldn't be an embarassement or formalities, I know the attitude of youth today, they interact with their parents like how they would with strangers - completely reserved and talk to them like they're nothing. I don't know how some people can go years without talking to their parents

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
LauraS
06-11-2010, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
why not? they're your parents there shouldn't be an embarassement or formalities, I know the attitude of youth today, they interact with their parents like how they would with strangers - completely reserved and talk to them like they're nothing. I don't know how some people can go years without talking to their parents
I do talk to my parents, I'm very close to them, I'll tell them how I feel but I'd rather not cry in front of them. It's not even like it's an embarrassment thing....I'm not sure what it is! I think part of it is that I don't want to upset them. I'm naturally not a touchy feely person and I tend not to hug people unless they hug me first. I find that sort of thing awkward.

Myself
06-12-2010, 01:30 AM
never knew there was a name for this. people who know me well say i am this, 'an emotion blocker'. i tend to coop into my corner than let it out, which can be hurtful.

جوري
06-12-2010, 02:07 AM
how else can you deal with your family without them totally hating you? I mean if you don't block your emotions you'll burst in their faces.. I swear my resolve sometimes gets to the point where the only thing I can do to not lose control is either go into the bathroom and turn on the water or scream into my pillows, with all my angry thoughts racing about, 'how thoughtless', 'how offensively inquisitive', 'how rude', 'how dare you' are the first lines I can think of which will inevitably start a fight.. but how do you say those things to your parents especially when it is a constant thing and they believe in their own mind that they know best, even if you could be fifty.. seriously I don't see a way around it that will be religiously acceptable.. especially when the dynamics between us are so festered that any attempt to work on that in that 'cultivated' style will be nothing less than laughable!
patience and blocking are ideal if nothing else not to incur Allah swt's rath, deal with your own emotions when you are dead!

Beardo
06-12-2010, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I mean if you don't block your emotions you'll burst in their faces..
Exactly. But at the same time, would you consider that sucking it all in? You'll end up bursting at one point or another, wouldn't you?

جوري
06-12-2010, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Exactly. But at the same time, would you consider that sucking it all in? You'll end up bursting at one point or another, wouldn't you?
I did, I do.. indeed I burst yesterday in the comfort of my room, and had a miserable migraine that would not leave, I vented to a friend and regretted it shortly after because well even the reward of patience is probably lost in that act..
I don't want people I love to suffer because I am angry with them (so I can't wish poorly on them when assuredly they suffer their own private hell) and I can't complain to them their shortcomings because I don't have diplomatic words to express my ire.. so where else can it go except internalized or expressed to a friend which in and of itself is a form of gossip or I don't know backbiting .. I mean that can't be good either..we should be grateful in the lean and difficult times.. the question is how to get your soul to be on board with your rational mind and truly concede your surrender so you'd at least gain some wisdom and religious merits out of it..

:w:

- Qatada -
06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

:salamext:

Not necessarily :) it can be kept up for a REALLY long time. Especially if your mindset stays firm on one focus, and you are always aware of preventing any form of emotional attachment with anyone/thing. Allahu a'lam.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-29-2010, 02:32 AM
:sl:
sometimes you have no choice but to block out the emotion you are trialled with. i swear it reaches such a point where you literally cannot do anything about it. you cant change it and it cant be changed. anything you do is either going to hurt more, or it is violating your iman in some way. anything you do, will get stupid people talking about you and blowing things out of proportion just for the sake of and just to dump their own bitterness on others. it is so draining, so hurtful and so confusing. it is beyond you and the only way you deal with it- scrap that, the only choice you have, is to pretend it doesn't exist.

Raziah
07-03-2010, 07:25 AM
I did and I really like to do it again and again, when we don't want to people to know that we are nervous.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Feelings/Emotions are geeky i tend to keep em to myself :-\

But yeah expressing them sometimes may solve some problems u c :-\

Erm not sure why i block em lool, coz theyre extra extra geeky . . .

So yeah :)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Oh do you mean like expressing em like getting anger and exploding like a BOMB?

errrrr thats well geeky when people do that uno, shouting and screaming and u look at the person its like something literally exploded :-\
makes u laff sometimes, thats not blocking emotions right? well we all get that way at times and we all tend to blow up in Anger, i dont think anyone hides that, unless they control themselves :D, If not then they can do what so ever their geeky self wills :-\

:-\

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!