/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer and work in America

lostmonk
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
So, I am wondering on something. What is supposed to be done if one cannot make prayer during the day while they are at work? I am entering a career field where your religious beliefs very much need to be not advertised, no matter what religion it is.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
06-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Would it not be possible to take 10 minute breaks to go to a quiet room/place and pray? You need to try your best to pray on time as much as possible because it is not permissible for a Muslim to delay his prayers beyond their due times without a legitimate excuse.

I am curious which career this is... I don't see how taking out some time in a private place would be considered "advertising" one's religious beliefs.

lostmonk
06-11-2010, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Would it not be possible to take 10 minute breaks to go to a quiet room/place and pray? You need to try your best to pray on time as much as possible because it is not permissible for a Muslim to delay his prayers beyond their due times without a legitimate excuse.

I am curious which career this is... I don't see how taking out some time in a private place would be considered "advertising" one's religious beliefs.
I am currently finishing school to be a Substance Abuse Counselor, and in that environment, there are many people that are spiritually bankrupt, and are made hugely uncomfortable by anything having to do with religion. Much of this is based on the guilt they feel for their actions over however long of a period they have been using.

Also, just to clarify, I am not currently a Muslim, but I am doing some investigating and may revert, so I was interested in how this situation would be dealt with.

espada
06-12-2010, 12:08 AM
I'd think as long as you supervisors allow it and there is a quiet, secluded place to do it, do it on time. You'll feel better and i'm pretty sure you can manage to do it without causing too much of situation. Allah makes things easy for people that he wants to make things easy for.

That is if you decide to revert.

DO IT!!!! - lol, just kidding ... or am I?

No, but seriously i've managed to find the time and place to pray at my last few jobs, one of which was full of pretty spiritually vacant drunks. In your case it'd only really be a problem if your supervisors wouldn't allow it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
06-12-2010, 03:17 AM
^^ you are funny akhi.. you have a heckl/jeckl thing going on there but in a comedic not a macabre way..

OP :welcome: aboard and hope you enjoy your stay with us..
I'll say that people can't stop you from a couple of things on the job, having lunch, going to the bathroom..
in places where I found it hard to pray for whatever reason, I'd get into my car during lunch time and pray in there.. if you are working a regular 9-5 job then the only time you'll do this is during the noon prayer which coincides with lunchtime unless it is winter time where the days are shorter.. in which case, lunch a bathroom break will suffice for you to carry the prayers that occur during that time..

all the best

Argamemnon
06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
in places where I found it hard to pray for whatever reason, I'd get into my car during lunch time and pray in there..
did you pray sitting?

:w:

Seek
06-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I have another solution for you my brother.

If you asked your manager and he still refused and it might cost you to lose your job. No problem. Just go back home and pray. For example if you have work from 8AM-3PM, just pray Thuhur and Al Asr together when you go back home, most of my Muslim friends do this, including my father :) . Inshallah Allah will forgive you and reward you for trying to pray.

Islam is the religion of ease and peace.

marwen
06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Allah gives you the job, and sends you rizq (Livelihood). Your boss is just a Instrument used by Allah to send you rizq. So now will you worship the One who send you rizq, or the instrument through it your rizq came to you ? If you decide to be a muslim, then doing your duty towards Allah perfectly and in time is a priority, then comes your duty towards people.

-Elle-
06-24-2010, 12:30 AM
, I'd get into my car during lunch time and pray in there..
Sis, as someone else asked, did you pray sitting ?I was doing the same thing,yet I did a lot of research from various sources, and apparently it isn't permissible (it is only permissible to pray sitting down if you are sick or if you are praying voluntary (sunnah) prayers)..

InshAllah if you have evidence which proves otherwise you may share it, it would be greatly appreciated!

salam

PouringRain
06-24-2010, 02:18 AM
I would speak to your employer and ask him if he minds you taking a 10 minute break at a certain time for your prayers. Let him know that if he needs you to clock in and out for this break, you are willing to, and that if he needs you to work over 10 minutes then you are also willing. Also let him know that you are not asking for other personal breaks, as others do, such as smoke breaks. You are only asking for a short time for prayer.

In America, employers are not supposed to discriminate on the basis of religion. Obviously, this does not mean that they never do. What it does mean is that if your boss refuses to allow you to take a break for prayer off the clock, but other employees are permitted to take smoke breaks on the clock (as is often the case) then you can have a case. Unfortunately, employers who are not happy with things of that nature will look for others reasons to fire someone, so if your employer is not happy about it then you will have to watch your back and be upstanding in your job (as an individual should be anyhow).

How many prayer times occur during the work day? One? Two? If speaking to your employer and requesting a few minutes personal time does not work, then I think the Vale's Lily had some good suggestions about praying on your lunch break or requesting a bathroom break. Also, if you are given the time for prayer, don't take advantage of it and return late every day or be caught doing things other than prayer. It is important for employees to be good stewards of their employer's time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!