/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Positive vs Negative Energy/ Love vs Hatred

glo
06-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I have been thinking recently how we can be fuelled by positive energy (i.e motivated by love and kindness) or by negative energy (i.e motivated by anger and hatred).

Let me tell you a personal story to illustrate what I mean.
When I was very young my father died, and 7 years later my mother remarried. By that time I had idolised my biological father and I hated my stepfather, who – as far as I was concerned – had come to take my father's place in the family!
That hatred for my stepfather grew during my teenage years – really, until I left home.
I remember my hatred and anger giving me a great energy. I seemed to feed off this energy, but at the same time it was very self-destructive. Although I felt very self-righteous and very convinced that I was right and the others wrong, I don't remember ever being very happy during that period of my life.

Now, I grew up and matured and moved on … and my relationship with my stepfather improved, so much so that I have great respect for him now and feel grateful for everything he did for me when I grew up.
I must admit that much of that growing of our relationship only happened after I became a Christian and learned to understand better the importance of forgiveness, love and respect.
I don't think I have ever felt anger and hatred of such intensity since that period in my life. In fact, I would say that hatred is not an emotion I feel anymore at all.

In my experience love and kindness also provide us with energy – an energy that seems to be more joyful and positive, rather than self-destructive and negative.
However, it also seems to me that it is a much gentler and quieter energy, and not as overwhelming and all-consuming as the negative energy I felt before.

I guess part of me is wondering, can the positive energy of love and kindness ever overcome and out-weigh the negative energy which comes from hatred and anger?
I don't just mean inside an individual, but in the world as a whole.
Will love ever triumph over hatred?

Any thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
06-11-2010, 12:30 PM
i doubt it. but it only happens when people deserve and have earned it. sometimes hatred is good and its unrealistic to say that it shouldn't triumph over love. love is great too, but there is a time and place for everything. sometimes people deserve to be hated and simply because they aren't very good people who don't wish for others goodness. for example, had someone killed my darling mother (god forbid) never in one billion years could i see love triumphing in this case. and i don't think its realistic. perhaps not even in the case where it was accidental.

people are fueled on emotions and to an extent, pride also plays an important role. its not really nice and considerate or even very wise to assume that hate is a bad thing. sometimes hate turns a bad situation into a good one. every emotion can be used towards something good...we also need that balance of emotion. imagine that the world was fueled merely on love. how annoying and gross.

why has your post been approved in this section btw? very bizarre.

Amat Allah
06-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Of course it will, after peace prevail on earth , and that after the coming of Jesus peace and blessings of Allah be upon him to earth again...

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "By the One in Whose hand is my soul, it is nearly time for the son of Maryam to descend upon you, to judge fairly. He will break the cross, kill the pigs and put an end to war. Wealth will increase so much that no-one will accept it, and one prostration to Allaah will be worth more than the world and all that is in it." Then Abu Hurayrah said: "Recite, if you wish: 'And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) but must believe in him ('Eesaa - as a human Messenger of Allaah) before his ('Eesaa's) death. And on the Day of Resurrection, he ('Eesaa) will be a witness against them." [Al-Nisaa' 3:159 - interpretation of the meaning].'"

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6/490, and Muslim, 2/189).

So, there will be no war, peace will prevail and of course according to this love surely will triumph over hatred by Allah`s Willing and Mercy...

All Praise and Glory be to The One and peace and blessings of Allah be upon all our beloved prophets and messengers...

marwen
06-11-2010, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I have been thinking recently how we can be fuelled by positive energy (i.e motivated by love and kindness) or by negative energy (i.e motivated by anger and hatred).

Let me tell you a personal story to illustrate what I mean.
When I was very young my father died, and 7 years later my mother remarried. By that time I had idolised my biological father and I hated my stepfather, who – as far as I was concerned – had come to take my father's place in the family!
That hatred for my stepfather grew during my teenage years – really, until I left home.
I remember my hatred and anger giving me a great energy. I seemed to feed off this energy, but at the same time it was very self-destructive. Although I felt very self-righteous and very convinced that I was right and the others wrong, I don't remember ever being very happy during that period of my life.

Now, I grew up and matured and moved on … and my relationship with my stepfather improved, so much so that I have great respect for him now and feel grateful for everything he did for me when I grew up.
I must admit that much of that growing of our relationship only happened after I became a Christian and learned to understand better the importance of forgiveness, love and respect.
I don't think I have ever felt anger and hatred of such intensity since that period in my life. In fact, I would say that hatred is not an emotion I feel anymore at all.

In my experience love and kindness also provide us with energy – an energy that seems to be more joyful and positive, rather than self-destructive and negative.
However, it also seems to me that it is a much gentler and quieter energy, and not as overwhelming and all-consuming as the negative energy I felt before.

I guess part of me is wondering, can the positive energy of love and kindness ever overcome and out-weigh the negative energy which comes from hatred and anger?
I don't just mean inside an individual, but in the world as a whole.

Any thoughts?
A great story. Thanks for sharing with us.
I think positive feelings and positive energy can be helpful for a person to solve his conflicts and to have good relationships. And it can also be transferred to others in our entourage and have a good effect on them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-11-2010, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
sometimes hatred is good and its unrealistic to say that it shouldn't triumph over love. love is great too, but there is a time and place for everything. sometimes people deserve to be hated and simply because they aren't very good people who don't wish for others goodness. for example, had someone killed my darling mother (god forbid) never in one billion years could i see love triumphing in this case. and i don't think its realistic.
I would agree that anger may be a beneficial emotion - if channeled in the right direction.
I find it difficult to perceive hatred as a useful or helpful emotion at all though.

its not really nice and considerate or even very wise to assume that hate is a bad thing. sometimes hate turns a bad situation into a good one. every emotion can be used towards something good...we also need that balance of emotion.
That's interesting. Can you explain further what you mean by that? Perhaps find and example?

imagine that the world was fueled merely on love. how annoying and gross.
Personally, I can think of nothing more beautiful! :)

Let's take Gaza as an example.
I can become active in many ways - read up more about the situation of Gaza, donate money to the people in Gaza, demonstrate, write to my MP etc.

I could be motivated to do so out of several reasons:
  • Love and compassion for the people of Gaza
  • Anger about their suffering
  • Hatred against those who harm Gaza

Is any of those emotions preferable to the others?
Is it better to be motivated by love and compassion than anger and hatred? Or does it not matter?

why has your post been approved in this section btw? very bizarre.
I don't know. I thought it fitted quite well under 'advice'.
If the mods wish to move it elsewhere, that's fine with me too.

glo
06-11-2010, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
Of course it will, after peace prevail on earth , and that after the coming of Jesus peace and blessings of Allah be upon him to earth again...
That will be wonderful indeed, sister.

Until such a day though, I guess it is up to us who follow God to spread his love and peace and compassion as far as we can amongst the people we share our lives with.
Would you agree?

glo
06-11-2010, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
A great story. Thanks for sharing with us.
I think positive feelings and positive energy can be helpful for a person to solve his conflicts and to have good relationships. And it can also be transferred to others in our entourage and have a good effect on them.
Thanks, marwen.

Do you think that love and positive feelings grow and spread as we continue to do good to others?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!