/* */

PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010 begins in South Africa

Supreme
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...10/8731389.stm

The 2010 World Cup in South Africa got under way with a spectacular and vibrant opening ceremony at the 94,000-capacity Soccer City in Johannesburg.

The ceremony was followed by the first game of the tournament between the hosts and Mexico, which ended 1-1.

Africa is staging the World Cup for the first time, with 32 nations competing in 64 games until the final on 11 July.

Nelson Mandela was due to attend the opening ceremony but withdrew following the death of his great-granddaughter.

Zenani Mandela, 13, died in a car crash when travelling home from the pre-World Cup concert in Johannesburg on Thursday.

She was one of the 91-year-old anti-apartheid icon's nine great-grandchildren.
African culture is perhaps my favourite. I only wish I could enjoy the World Cup with the South Africans. Alas, I can't. This is historic for South Africa and Africa as a whole. I just pray England's day, which is tomorrow, will be a success against the USA.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amadeus85
06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Forza Italia :)

Nirvana
06-19-2010, 03:29 AM
I hear that South African Muslims are planning to really take care of the Muslims who come from other countries. They have set up welcome centres, will advise on Halal food places and the location of Mosques near the football ground. :) A great example of brotherhood.

article here: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/160620...slim-fans.html

Supreme
06-19-2010, 10:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nirvana
I hear that South African Muslims are planning to really take care of the Muslims who come from other countries. They have set up welcome centres, will advise on Halal food places and the location of Mosques near the football ground. :) A great example of brotherhood.

article here: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/160620...slim-fans.html
South African Christians, on the other hand, are engaging in slightly less productive activities:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901?ver=us

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-19-2010, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
South African Christians, on the other hand, are engaging in slightly less productive activities:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901?ver=us
Having read the article, can we rephrase that to "one South African Christian family, on the other hand ...".

You make it sound like killing your family members over a dispute what to watch on TV in a general pastime in South Africa. Surely that's not the case ... :hmm:

titus
06-24-2010, 04:35 AM
The USA has won its group and is on the to the elimination rounds!

Too bad most Americans don't care, but for those of us that do it is pretty exciting.

Salahudeen
06-24-2010, 05:02 AM
LOL Americans will never be into soccer big time I think, even if they won it I don't think there'd be much of a celebration, they'd all be going "what's soccer" maybe ;D

shami66
06-24-2010, 05:15 AM
this is really good that muslims care each others jazakullah kheer

titus
06-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Most people know what it is, and most people play it as kids. In the US, though, most people lose interest and stop playing soccer at about 10-12 years old.

Supreme
06-24-2010, 04:58 PM
It's like World War 2, this world cup. The French are easily defeated, the Americans start doing something at the last minute and we English are left to fight the Germans!

titus
06-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Now that was funny.

Amadeus85
06-24-2010, 06:39 PM
It's like World War 2, this world cup. The French are easily defeated, the Americans start doing something at the last minute and we English are left to fight the Germans!

ROTFL :haha::haha:

But my Italy was defeated today :(

glo
06-24-2010, 08:05 PM
LOL

Ve vill beat you Englisch, vait and zee!
(I think I will make myself scarce on Sunday afternoon!! :hiding::hiding::hiding:)

Salahudeen
06-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Not the German's again :raging: then if we beat them it's Argentina :raging: then if we bet them it's spain :raging:

they took the hardest way possible :( unless Rooney finds some good form and gets his scoring boots on, I can't see us progressing.

glo
06-24-2010, 08:16 PM
My prediction is that whether Germany or England go through on Sunday, neither will make it past Argentina ...

Supreme
06-24-2010, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
Not the German's again :raging: then if we beat them it's Argentina :raging: then if we bet them it's spain :raging:

they took the hardest way possible :( unless Rooney finds some good form and gets his scoring boots on, I can't see us progressing.
Every old enemy in the history book, then. And historically, we beat them all. France, as per usual, have surrendered and conceded defeat well before any action takes place. Sacre bleu!

glo
06-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Every old enemy in the history book, then.
Actually, that's not so hard.
England has a lot of 'old enemies', when you look back in history ...
Luckily, most of us are no longer enemies ... until the World Cup comes round ... :D

What's your prediction for Sunday?

nousername
06-24-2010, 08:48 PM
i hope USA wins.. then that way inshaALLAH Americans will take soccer(football in most of the world) seriously

Abu Zainab
06-24-2010, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Wat's your prediction for Sunday?
Its too bad two of my favorite teams have to clash in the second round. I wish one of them lift the cup....though I think its quite unlikely.
What do you all think of Mesut Ozil by the way? I know he needs some more time and experience but he is showing a lot of class already.

czgibson
06-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Greetings,
It also looks like we can't rule out the Japanese making their impression felt in the latter stages...

Peace

Ansariyah
06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow @ all the new comers in the world cup, i'm impressed. Not so impressed wit Italy nor Brazil! n I can't believe france/Italy been sent packing already!

Argamemnon
06-24-2010, 11:51 PM
I think the Netherlands could win the cup this time because other teams are pretty weak. Only Argentina, Spain or Brazil might defeat the Netherlands.

nousername
06-25-2010, 03:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

It also looks like we can't rule out the Japanese making their impression felt in the latter stages...

Peace
wow that is cool how it played out

Samiun
06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
:sl: , is there by any chance that the world cup is wasting my time? Don't get me wrong here, I do like the world cup(NETHERLANDS!!!) but it seems to me that most Muslims get hooked up on an international event rather than watching Islamic shows.

titus
06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
but it seems to me that most Muslims get hooked up on an international event rather than watching Islamic shows.
I don't recall ever having seen anything saying that Muslims are not allowed to have any recreational time.

Amadeus85
06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
After my Italia failed, i support Japan and South Korea! Bonzai!!!!!!

Samiun
06-26-2010, 05:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
I don't recall ever having seen anything saying that Muslims are not allowed to have any recreational time.
My point was, most Muslims now a days get more excited on an non-Islamic event rather than an Islamic event. I didn't say that Muslims aren't allowed to watch football matches, I just had an opinion that World Cup is a waste of time.

titus
06-27-2010, 04:29 AM
After my Italia failed, i support Japan and South Korea! Bonzai!!!!!
Well, now South Korea is out too. If I were playing in the World Cup I would hope you wouldn't be rooting for my team :)

glo
06-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Germany beat England.
There end the similarities with WWII ...

My commiserations to all England supporters.

Banu_Hashim
06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Ghana to win the world cup!!

tango92
06-27-2010, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Germany beat England.
There end the similarities with WWII ...

My commiserations to all England supporters.

i thought you were part german?

neway this is great news, all the england branded merchandise is gonna get cheap now lol

CosmicPathos
06-27-2010, 05:47 PM
great to see Britain defeated, at least in soccer.

CosmicPathos
06-27-2010, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
Recreational time by supporting the kaafir countries? By painting their flags on one's face and foreheads? By cheering out "France, France" while France is the country which has banned niqab for one's own Muslim sisters .... ? I see huge contradictions here.

netherlands is the very country that has started an all out war against Islam. Netherlands and its inhabitants.

Rhubarb Tart
06-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I knew England was going to lose, look at how they were playing against team that were lower then Geman. The England fans are stupid to think they even stood a chance.

ha! well at least its peaceful and quiet in my area.

Rhubarb Tart
06-27-2010, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
Recreational time by supporting the kaafir countries? By painting their flags on one's face and foreheads? By cheering out "France, France" while France is the country which has banned niqab for one's own Muslim sisters .... ? I see huge contradictions here.

netherlands is the very country that has started an all out war against Islam. Netherlands and its inhabitants.
And they banned hijabs in schools and workplace.

glo
06-27-2010, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
i thought you were part german?

neway this is great news, all the england branded merchandise is gonna get cheap now lol
Yes, I am German.

Ansariyah
06-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Be4 the game started I said....6-1 inshaAllah! For Germany!

I was supporting Germany!

England got owned...Baaaaaad.

Samiun
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist

:sl: what is your point here brother? That every Muslim shouldn't support a kafir team(or even watch a football match) which has started an all out war against Islam? Is that what you're saying?

Abu Zainab
07-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Man I love zis Joiman side...zey are playing some awesome fussbol. Go Mesut Ozil...Go Joachim Low....

Paraguay were denied a goal due to an erroneous offside flag....somethings never change...

marwen
07-04-2010, 10:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zainab
Paraguay were denied a goal due to an erroneous offside flag....somethings never change...

Hahaha ;D nice picture.
But me too, I don't know why FIFA doesn't want to use technology (cameras, tv replays, etc..), I mean what's their argument ? don't they want to have correct decisions? Or they are just stupid lol. ?

smile
07-06-2010, 04:58 PM
So sad ghana out!

Muslimeen
07-07-2010, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
So sad ghana out!
Look on the bright side, at least those vuvuzela's have been somewhat silenced.

hooralayn72
07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
watching matches is a waste of time!!!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!