/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab in front of young boys...

Donia
06-13-2010, 04:25 PM
:sl:

Is there a recommended age when hijab should be worn in front of young boys? I am under the impression that women should cover once the boy has reached puberty, but I'm not sure how to come to that conclusion without the obvious characteristics being present (deep voice, facial hair, etc.). If the boy is around 11 or 12, I find it difficult to determine what state of maturity he is in. I guess it's different for every child but I don't want to embarrass anyone by flat out asking them. :)

JazakAllah for any input

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
06-13-2010, 10:50 PM
just make it standard to cover infront boys who are 10+

Nawal89
06-14-2010, 12:03 AM
It really depends on the child. I have a student who is ten years old and he couldnt care less about what I wore. but my friend has a student who is only 8 and stares like nobody's business.

Donia
06-14-2010, 03:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
just make it standard to cover infront boys who are 10+
I was thinking of doing that but the age I had in mind was 12 instead of 10.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Donia
06-14-2010, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
It really depends on the child. I have a student who is ten years old and he couldnt care less about what I wore. but my friend has a student who is only 8 and stares like nobody's business.
Good point. My issue is not knowing what kind of maturity level they are on at their age when I don't know the person (like first time being around them).

JazakAllah.

Nawal89
06-14-2010, 07:40 AM
i suggest if wear hijab until you know the child a bit better, then maybe you can judge from there. I also observe hijab in front of boys who are ten (unless in certain cases like my student) but even in front of him i always have something on my head, though not properly covered just for the sake of modesty.

aadil77
06-14-2010, 08:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia
I was thinking of doing that but the age I had in mind was 12 instead of 10.
I thought 10 would be the earliest any child could change but like the sis said theres even 8 year olds who mature early, so if its not difficult to observe hijab why not just wear it all the time? It will be a good influence for young girls to pick up on

Nawal89
06-14-2010, 10:02 AM
^ all the time as in how? Some families like mines have little boys running in and out of the house all the time. But what extent of hijab are you talking about here sis? Just a headscarf on whilst pinching the childs cheeks or full hijab like how you would observe infront of grown men? Lolol so confusing

aadil77
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^ all the time as in how? Some families like mines have little boys running in and out of the house all the time. But what extent of hijab are you talking about here sis? Just a headscarf on whilst pinching the childs cheeks or full hijab like how you would observe infront of grown men? Lolol so confusing
all the time when infront of unrelated boys? I dunno, its probably the safest option if you're worried about naughty little boys

Danah
06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Believe it or not! I know a teacher who was teaching kids (7, 8, 9 years), she was hearing their comments about what she wear and how does she looks like. Kids these days are not the old days kids!! Asteghfirullah

lose clothes that doesn't reveal the body shape (forget about the head cover) are recommended even if the kids are below 10, because the media these days makes kids think like teenagers!!!

As for the age of puberty, it differs from one to another, so its hard to decide.

Snowflake
06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
:sl: We're told to separate them (children) from our beds when they reach the age of ten as generally that's when they develop a sense of shame. So to me that is cue for when to start observing hijab in front of boys of that age.

But as sis Danah said, it's better to cover the rest of the body appropriately too in front of children from the age of 7 upwards as in the media the body is displayed as a s** object and we don't want to taint their little minds. In Pakistan, women in my family always cover their upper body with their head covering even in front of small children and all my boy cousins have so much shame mashaAllah.

Donia
06-14-2010, 10:48 PM
May Allah reward you all for your responses. Ameen.

10 does seem like a better age to make the "cut-off". :)

I meant full hijab - loose clothing with the headscarf.

Thank you!

Hamza Asadullah
06-26-2010, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia

Is there a recommended age when hijab should be worn in front of young boys? I am under the impression that women should cover once the boy has reached puberty, but I'm not sure how to come to that conclusion without the obvious characteristics being present (deep voice, facial hair, etc.). If the boy is around 11 or 12, I find it difficult to determine what state of maturity he is in. I guess it's different for every child but I don't want to embarrass anyone by flat out asking them. :)

JazakAllah for any input
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, for what purpose do you mean cover in front of young boys. For teaching?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!