/* */

PDA

View Full Version : WHY dont more Muslims get Married at the Mosque?

U-dont-No
06-15-2010, 01:39 AM
First, Salamu Alaykum to all my fellow Muslim brothers and sister. I hope u are all in good health Inshallah. I am new to this forum and sorry i just couldn't come uo with a claver name than U-dont-No.....:embarrass

About the above topic i find it ironic that a lot of Christians and Jews choice their first place to wed is at a church or a Synagogue but when it come to Muslims they choose to hold their weddings at a hotel party hall and would rather give their money to non-Muslim place than to have blessed wedding in the house of Allah (SWT). I just want to know Why don’t more Muslim hold their wedding the Mosque?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-15-2010, 02:35 AM
While a masjid is special for us in the sense it is a place for us to pray. We have to remember signing the Nikkah is not a religious ceremony. Our religious ceremonies are reserved only for the worship of Allaah(swt). Also remember in the masjid men and women are normally seperated. It would be sort of awkward and odd for the bride and groom to be separated during the signing of the Nikkah and being together in the Masjid could be awkward for some if not most of the guests.

The signing of the Nikkah can be a bit private. It is the walimah after in which a celebration is held. As joyous as the celebration is, it is probably best it be held in a place other than the Masjid. Just the opinion of an old man who signed his Nikkah by mail and did not met his wife in person until after the Nikkah was signed.

There is no special place reserved for the Nikkah signing this is the signing of a contract. A special contract, but still a contract and not part of our worship.

U-dont-No
06-15-2010, 05:12 AM

That is where many ppl have it all wrong. It is already forbidden for men and women to mingle and music with dancing, so it would also be HARAM in a wedding also. So it would make a lot of sense to have a nice Halal wedding, i know some ppl in my family who had their wedding at a Mosque and men had their own section where they ate and chatted but they left before the women came and women and a different place where they were able to have fun without music but only drums was allowed with some cultural dancing. You pointed out a really important reason which is the cultural ceremony, some Muslims have some outrageous and un-Islamic ceremonies which might not but appropriate in a Mosque. Also i think you miss read my point i am just talking about the wedding ceremony, not the Nikkah ceremony which takes place before the wedding celebration. I think the Nikkah could also be done in Mosque if the Mosque has a privet place for it.

I say all this because i think many Muslims are not a wear of all the harmful things that can come from having a mixed environment wedding with music, because Allah does not bless luxuries mixed wedding and you will be responsible for ever sin that happens at your wedding including hook ups and music, you will be asked about it on the last day. After having a 50,000 wedding and Allah is not even pleased with your marriage and you will end you will end up having a short unhappy marriage.

Muslim Woman
06-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Salaam/Peace

Welcome to the forum . Thansk for asking this . I thougth about this many times. Now a days , it's so expensive to get married that normally takes place at a luxirious hall room.

I really hope , Musilms will start thinking about getting married at mosque .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
06-15-2010, 09:53 AM
the nikah which is what a marriage is is generally held in the masjid....

Insaanah
06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
EDIT: Sorry just saw this.

format_quote Originally Posted by U-dont-No
i am just talking about the wedding ceremony, not the Nikkah ceremony which takes place before the wedding celebration

cat eyes
06-16-2010, 04:37 PM
i think it would be more of a blessing for a couple to have there nikkah at the mosque. the bride and groom then can sign the contract in private with the imam present

Life_Is_Short
06-16-2010, 05:52 PM
My brother got maried in a mosque and there were no extra events before Nikkah. It was simple and everyone was pleased. Alhamdulilah!!
People now-a-days over complicate things. They have so many unecessary events before the actual marriage where they spend huge amounts of money on food and wedding hall. More and more people are begining to do that and this sets a standard in society that everyone expects one should meet in order to get married. The same money they spend on one wedding could be given into charity or helping towards another marriage, of possibly a poor person.
In my opinion, this is unfair to society and often leads to wrong intentions.

A simple wedding in a mosque should be sufficient.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum. . .

More "Muslims" would like their weddings in "Better" places you see :-\
They want a stunning place , everythin has to be perfect and so yeah, spending a zillion dollars on a weddings is just wrong :-\, (sorry my onion :()

And plus weddings in these so called "Stunning" and "Luxurious" halls involve millions of Fitnah :(

These expensive weddings have something to do with the nature of the human, they have a so called "Reputation" to keep up infront of people of ze Dunya that shall one day end! lol and i apologise if i was a "lil" random :-\ sorry,
So yeah :D

I suppose you can have a BIG wedding with Big money, but you should remember theres no benefit, unless theres no fitnah involved InshaAllaah, anyways Allaah knows best and his Messenger the blessed Sallahu alaayhi wa salam has taught whats good and whats bad!
Wa Alaaykum Salaam

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Firstly welcome to the forum (ahlan wa sahlan),

Wedding and nikkah are not the same thing in my culture, wedding is like a after the nikkah, nikkah usually happens in the masjid or a private place like a house where the sheikh and the couples close family are all together and they get married. The wedding is during the night of the nikkah or another day, in my culture the wedding is like a ladies night where the bride and female friends and famillies celebrate and have fun this takes place in a hotel or a wedding hall and they have a cultural party.
also food is distributed to the couples local masjid.

But nikkah is not good to be done in a hotel is just waste of money but it won't feel like a marriage but having a wedding in a hotel to me sounds alright unless there is no males and females together.

Thats my opnion and my cultural marriage.

cat eyes
06-16-2010, 11:03 PM
in some countries i heard such as pakistan poor families feel pressured to have big expensive weddings this just makes me sad :(

ardianto
06-17-2010, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by U-dont-No
i am just talking about the wedding ceremony, not the Nikkah ceremony which takes place before the wedding celebration.
Because masjid is not party hall, and wedding is party.

But in my city you can find several masjids that have wedding hall beside or under the masjid hall.

U-dont-No
06-17-2010, 07:52 AM
TO: Life-is-Short

Mashallah May Allah bless your brothers marriage Inshallah.

Yeah i totally agree with you some ppl try to fit in to this image and forget about the benefits of having a simple wedding and pleasing Allah.

Masuma
06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
@ Sis U-dont-No :D heheehe!

Sis I agree with you that Muslims marriages SHOULD take place in mosques!

But not every mosque is designed for such purpose you see. Some mosques are so small, that hardly a small gathering can fit in. Mosques should be built on some proper plan. There should be separate big halls for accommodating guests. All these things should be kept in mind before designing any mosque.

You know, I once saw a brilliant lecture of a Moulana on Peace TV regarding the role and importance of mosques in Muslim societies. He even mentioned that mosques used to have libraries in them! :statisfie

Now I was saying that yes, marriages should be done under 100% Islamic guideline. No extravagance and nothing. No pomp and show what so ever! People try to keep their reputation high in the society by spending thousands on one function. But who knows whether the other people would really respect you after this or not! A Muslim should always try to please Allah instead of the people! Let people talk against you as much as they want, you shouldn't give it a dam n.

Our whole Goal should only be ALLAH!!!

And sorry I don't have much knowledge about it, but Nikah is like the real marriage right? :embarrass ...In which the bride and groom signs a lifetime contract? :D This should be done in mosque! Bride and groom need not sit together for signing it. In my country, they don't. So Nikah can easily take place in a mosque.

But perfect segregation of the opposite sexes should be ensured so as to maintain the sanctity of ALLAH's house! Otherwise it would be just atrocious! :raging:

No mehndi, hina, mayon and whatever these are, should be practiced. people should be afraid of Allah, specially in this most important aspect of your life! No one can afford angering our LORD!!!

Everything should be done with simplicity and modesty. I know that people would say many things like the whole event was so boring etc, but a Muslim should set his/her preferences.

Does he want to obey Allah, or does he want to keep Allah happy?!

Nirvana
06-19-2010, 03:05 AM
I went to a wedding in Birmingham where it was done straight after salaatul-Jumu'ah. The Imam said before Jumu'ah that there will be a Nikah ceremony before the prayer. I only saw the boy's side happen because it was a segregated mosque. Then after the Nikah part was done they said Walima will take place in a building down the road and everyone is welcome. I really liked that wedding. Simple and beautiful. No Mehndi nonsense. No dancing and singing. No limos or fireworks.

I pray the couple have a long and happy life and marriage. I wish I could have had a simple wedding but family and society forced us into a big wedding with all the trimmings. :(

Masuma
06-19-2010, 04:06 PM
^ uff this society thing!!! But don't worry sis Nirvana, Allah knows your intention. :)

Now I forgot to ask one question yesterday. It is actually a silly question :embarrass but still want to know :(

If Nikah is going to take place in mosques, then won't the namazis get disturb due to the noise coming from the halls? And if Imam of masjid is going to lead prayer and recite Surahs loudly, then the guests would get disturb. So what is the right thing?

:embarrass

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!