/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can illnesses be a punishment from God?

paradise88
06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
:sl:

I understand that what ever happens it is Allah whom wishes it and it is for our best. In terms of illnesses are any of the following true as I have heard it a few times:

1. Allah gives us illness so we call him more and pray to him
2. It can be a punishment to those who have forgotten about Allah and Islam

Obviously we all get ill sometimes and it doesnt have to be any of the reasons above but are those two reasons true???

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
06-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Illnesses can also be expiation of our sins.

Abu Sa`id and Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with them) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “No fatigue, nor disease, nor anxiety, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

And We will most certainly try you with somewhat of fear and hunger and loss of property and lives and fruits; and give good news to the patient, who, when a misfortune befalls them, say: “Surely we are Allah's and to Him we shall surely return.” Those are they on whom are blessings and mercy from their Lord, and those are the followers of the right course. (Al-Baqarah 2:155-157).

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "He whom Allah intends good, He makes him to suffer from some affliction" (Al-Bukhari).

paradise88
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Sorry im a bit stupid sometimes, so that means it can be a forgiveness of our sins??

anonymous
06-16-2010, 11:23 AM
I thought illnessess were seen as a test ?? not a punishment ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
06-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Illnesses can be a test, punishment, or expiation from sins or all three. It depends on the case.

Here's about the expiation from sins:

There are many hadith which explain that sickness expiates evil deeds and wipes out sins. Of these, some are given below:

Abu Hurairah narrates that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "When Allah wants to be good to someone, He tries him with some hardship."

Abu Hurairah also reports that Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, said: "For every misfortune, illness, anxiety, grief, or hurt that afflicts a Muslim -even the hurt caused by the pricking of a thorn - Allah removes some of his sins." Ibn Mas'ud said: "I visited the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, while he had a fever. I exclaimed: 'O Messenger of Allah! You have a high fever! ' He said: 'My fever is as much as two among you [might have]. ' I asked: 'Is it because you have a double reward?' He replied: 'Yes, that is right. No Muslim is afflicted with any hurt, even if it is no more than the pricking of a thorn, but Allah wipes off his sins because of it and his sins fall away from him as leaves fall from a tree'."

Abu Hurairah said: "The Prophet, peace be upon him, remarked: 'The example of a believer is like a fresh tender plant; from whichever direction the wind blows, it bends the plant. But when the wind dies down, it straightens up again. (Similarly a believer is tested by afflictions to strengthen his faith and heart, and he remains patient and firm). And an evil person is like a pine tree which remains hard and stiff until Allah breaks it whenever He wills."
Volume 4, Page 1a: Patience During Illness

Anyone suffering from an illness should remain patient, for there is no reward better or more enriching than that reserved for those who endure in patience.

Suhaib ibn Sinan narrated that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "How remarkable is the case of the believer! There is good for him in everything, but this is not the case for anyone except for the believer. When the believer receives any good, he is thankful to Allah, and gets a reward. And when some misfortune befalls him, he endures it patiently, for which he is (also) rewarded."

Anas narrates: "I heard the Prophet, peace be upon him, saying: 'Allah says: "When I afflict a servant of mine with respect to his two most beloved things (meaning his eyes), and he endures it patiently, I grant him paradise in return'."

'Ata ibn Rabah related that he heard Ibn 'Abbas say: "Shall I show you a woman of Paradise?"I said: "Yes, indeed." He said: "A black woman came to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and said: 'I suffer from epileptic fits, and because of these, (at times) my body becomes uncovered. Would you invoke Allah, the Exalted One, to cure me of this disease? ' The Prophet, peace be upon him, said: 'If you wish, you can be patient and you will attain Paradise (for this suffering). But if you prefer, I will pray to Allah, the Exalted, to cure you of it?' The woman said: 'I will be patient,' then added: 'I become uncovered (when I have fits), so invoke Allah for me that I do not become uncovered. ' So the Prophet, peace be upon him, prayed for her."
Volume 4, Page 2: To Complain of One's Illness

It is permitted for a patient to complain of his pain and illness to a physician or a friend, provided he does not do so to express his or her anger or impatience. It was mentioned earlier that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "My fever is as severe as that of any two of you." Once 'Aisha complained to the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, about her headache, lamenting: "O my head." He retorted: "Nay, rather (I should say) O my head!" Likewise it is reported that 'Abdullah ibn Al-Zubair asked his ailing mother, Asma bint Abi Bakr, "How are you feeling now?" She replied: "I am in pain."

A patient should thank and praise Allah, before talking about his distress and complaint

Ibn Mas'ud said: "If one thanks Allah before complaining about his pain or disease, then it is not considered impatience. Indeed, to refer one's complaint to Allah, is quite lawful." Jacob (the prophet), said: "I complain of my distraction and anguish only to Allah." The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, himself prayed: "O Allah! to You I complain of my weakness."
Volume 4, Page 2a: A Sick Person is Rewarded for All the Good Deeds that He Would (usually) Perform in a State of Health

Abu Musa al-Ash'ari reports that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "If a servant (of Allah) falls sick or goes on a journey, he (continues to be) rewarded for the good deeds that he used to do when he was healthy or at home."

For more readings:

http://www.jamaat.net/ebooks/Fus/fus4_59.html

http://www.islamiska.org/e/s2.htm

Hamza Asadullah
06-27-2010, 11:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by paradise786
:sl:

I understand that what ever happens it is Allah whom wishes it and it is for our best. In terms of illnesses are any of the following true as I have heard it a few times:

1. Allah gives us illness so we call him more and pray to him
2. It can be a punishment to those who have forgotten about Allah and Islam

Obviously we all get ill sometimes and it doesnt have to be any of the reasons above but are those two reasons true???

:wa:
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazkallah khayr for your question sister. Allah tells us in the Qur'an that surely we will be tested for the purpose of our creation is that we are being tested and this is a test ground by which we are being examined. We will be tested in many ways which include illness aswell as loss of life, health and wealth. Allah tests us to differentiate between us as in who are the best of his slaves who after being tested remain steadfast, patient and get even closer to Allah after hardships and trials and who are of his slaves who after being tested with trials and hardships goes further away from Allah and asks Allah "Why me?". We must NEVER question Allah "why" because he knows best and we must accept what is decreed for us and realsie that when we are being tested then it is a blessing in disguise for Allah is wanting us closer to him.

Almighty Allah tests us so that we can turn to him, ask of him and get closer to him. We will not be able to get close to Allah without going through trials and hardships for the closest to Allah the prophets went through the worst of trials and came out even closer to Allah. It may be that we are tested so much that we face Allah on the day of judgement sinless. So test expiates sin and as a hadith explains even the smallest of pricks on our skin may be a means of expiation of sin. But of course this depends on how we react.

If we accept it is the decree of Allah and remain patient and steadfast turning to Allah and wanting to get closer to him then we will gain the greatest of rewards and benefits from being tested whereas if we ask Allah "why me?" and go further away from Allah not turning to him then we have gained nothing but the hardships we went through. So let us realise the benefits of tests and trials and let us remain steadfast and patient for Allah tests those he wants closest to him and if we pass the tests then we may face Allah on the day of judgement with less, little or no sin at all.

May Allah give us the ability to be steadfast and patient through trials and hardships and may those tests and hardships be a means of expiation of sin. Ameen

and Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!