/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Islam and Democracy compatible?

Masuma
06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Asalamu Alikum Wa Rehmatullahi Wa Barakatuh!

Mainly @ sweet106:
Sister, the topic “Is Islam and democracy compatible?” is like really Huge and requires great deal of research. I checked some websites and sometimes have found conflicting statements made by scholars and researchers. As a matter of fact, I feel like I have no knowledge about it. It would take considerable time to develop my own views. I could only come up with this so far: :( Annnhainhain!

When we talk about democracy, we usually compare it or visualize it to be a type of “Democracy” implemented in West. If one talks about such democracy, then obviously it is unacceptable to me. (…and I’ll dare not talk on anyone else’s behalf here)

In Western Democracy, laws are made BY the people FOR people; whereas in Islam, laws are made by ALLAH, for the people. So this type of Western democracy is incompatible with Islam. People, because none of us posses a flawless mind, are bound to make mistakes. We might not know what would be better for us in the long run.

Suppose, there is a newly invented machine and one wants to know what will be better for it; so for this purpose, one should consider whom? Who will be the best guide to tell us about the mechanism of the machine? And the answer is “it’s creator or manufacturer”. Same way, for us humans, the best One to guide is Allah BECAUSE He created us and knows everything about us.

We have various examples at hand to prove that western democracy finally flawed. People if they are in majority, can vote for something as blasphemous and evil as “making homosexuality legal.”

So as far as law making is concerned, humans have no right in it unless a law, particular to some newly arisen situation, doesn’t already exist in the Quran and Sunnah. At that time, scholars carry out Ijma (consensus of the scholars). And then Qiyas. So at this lower level, human participation is involved in law making.

But if we take the good points of western democracy, like people voting for the election of a leader, then that I think makes Islam and democracy no more at odds.

At the time of election of our Caliphs, it was always a voting process. People would give “bait” on the hand of a Caliph to show their approval. Yes, the former Caliphs did nominate candidates, but that is what happens today also! But the election of the Caliph was through a proper voting process.

And just to highlight this voting aspect of Islam, we know that Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) used to consult his companions in each and every situation.

Now about the rest of the part, I think Islam has its “own version” of true democracy.

Yeah one more thing, we think that rulers are immune to punishments or accountability but this false idea or rather an accusation has no base in history. If we’ll read about the time when Islam was at its rise, we would notice that even Caliphs would be called to Qazi’s (judge) court for accountability.

We remember the time when Muslims got hold of booty and it was fairly divided among the people. Hazrat Umar was in some meeting where one companion of the Prophet stood up and questioned him that everyone received a piece of cloth out of which only one shirt could hardly be made, but how come Hazrat Umar, who is even taller than the rest, is wearing a complete full-length shirt? So then Hazrat Umar answered and clarified it.

So here we see that even a Caliph could be questioned! No immunity of any type what so ever.

Now sis, this is only half of what I wanted to say. I know it doesn’t at all do justice to the topic but I only know this much. But of course Allah would teach me more about this and then I’ll be able to at least give a some what better reply.

And feel free to ignore it. It’s just a small point of view. :)

May Allah bless us all! Ameen!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Just a mental experiment. It is possible for a Democratic Government to vote in Shariah law. If a democracy was 100% practicing Muslim It is almost certain Shariah law and rule would be voted in. The only time Democracy and Islam would need to co-exist would be in a country that is less than 50% Muslim. In that case I believe that living in a democracy is the best choice as any other form of government would most likely have religious restrictions.

So I believe that not only can Islam co-exist within a democracy, it is sometimes a necessity.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Well the diff is that Islaam is sent by God as a gift to mankind, but Democracy is some rules man made, thats just my opinion and i admit i havent dont much research on the topic so i should not speak
Sorry please dont get angry anyone

and smile

So yeah

aadil77
06-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Hold on, don't you agree that democracy is haraam?

Ruling on democracy and elections and participating in that system
What is the ruling on democracy and taking a leadership role in parliment or other levels of the democratical government? What is the ruling regarding voting for someone in democracy? How was the islamic state organized, and governed in the classical times?.
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Democracy is a man-made system, meaning rule by the people for the people. Thus it is contrary to Islam, because rule is for Allaah, the Most High, the Almighty, and it is not permissible to give legislative rights to any human being, no matter who he is.

It says in Mawsoo’at al-Adyaan wa’l-Madhaahib al-Mu’aasirah (2/1066, 1067):

Undoubtedly the democratic system is one of the modern forms of shirk, in terms of obedience and following, or legislation, as it denies the sovereignty of the Creator and His absolute right to issue laws, and ascribes that right to human beings. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You do not worship besides Him but only names which you have named (forged) — you and your fathers — for which Allaah has sent down no authority. The command (or the judgement) is for none but Allaah. He has commanded that you worship none but Him (i.e. His Monotheism); that is the (true) straight religion, but most men know not”

[Yoosuf 12:40]

“The decision is only for Allaah”

[al-An’aam 6:57]

End quote.

This has been discussed in detail in the answer to question no. 98134.

Secondly:

The one who understands the true nature of the democratic system and the ruling thereon, then he nominates himself or someone else (for election) is approving of this system, and is working with it, is in grave danger, because the democratic system is contrary to Islam and approving of it and participating in it are actions that imply apostasy and being beyond the pale of Islam.

But as for the one who nominates himself or nominates others in this system in order to join the parliament and enjoin good and forbid evil, and establish proof against them, and reduce its evil and corruption as much as he can, so that people of corruption and disbelievers in Allaah will not have free rein to spread mischief in the land and spoil people’s worldly interests and religious commitment, this is a matter that is subject to ijtihaad, according to the interests that it is hoped will be served by that.

Some scholars are even of the view that getting involved in these elections is obligatory.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on elections, and he replied: I think that elections are obligatory; we should appoint the one who we think is good, because if the good people abstain, who will take their place? Evil people will take their place, or neutral people in whom there is neither good nor evil, but they follow everyone who makes noise. So we have no choice but to choose those who we think are fit.

If someone were to say: We chose someone but most of the parliament are not like that,

We say: It does not matter. If Allaah blesses this one person and enables him to speak the truth in this parliament, he will undoubtedly have an effect. But what we need is to be sincere towards Allaah and the problem is that we rely too much on physical means and we do not listen to what Allaah says. So nominate the one who you think is good, and put your trust in Allaah. End quote.

From Liqaa’aat al-Baab al-Maftooh, no. 210

http://www.ibnothaimeen.com/all/soun...le_16230.shtml

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas were asked:

Is it permissible to vote in elections and nominate people for them? Please note that our country is ruled according to something other than that which Allaah revealed?

They replied:

It is not permissible for a Muslim to nominate himself in the hope that he can become part of a system which rules according to something other than that which Allaah has revealed and operates according to something other than the sharee’ah of Islam. It is not permissible for a Muslim to vote for him or for anyone else who will work in that government, unless the one who nominates himself or those who vote for him hope that by getting involved in that they will be able to change the system to one that operates according to the sharee’ah of Islam, and they are using this as a means to overcome the system of government, provided that the one who nominates himself will not accept any position after being elected except one that does not go against Islamic sharee’ah. End quote.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (23/406, 407

They were also asked:

As you know, here in Algeria we have what are called legislative elections. There are parties which call for Islamic rule, and there are others that do not want Islamic rule. What is the ruling on one who votes for something other than Islamic rule even though he prays?

They replied:

The Muslims in a country that is not governed according to Islamic sharee’ah should do their utmost and strive as much as they can to bring about rule according to Islamic sharee’ah, and they should unite in helping the party which is known will rule in accordance with Islamic sharee’ah. As for supporting one who calls for non-implementation of Islamic sharee’ah, that is not permissible, rather it may lead a person to kufr, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And so judge (you O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) among them by what Allaah has revealed and follow not their vain desires, but beware of them lest they turn you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) far away from some of that which Allaah has sent down to you. And if they turn away, then know that Allaah’s Will is to punish them for some sins of theirs. And truly, most of men are Faasiqoon (rebellious and disobedient to Allaah).

50. Do they then seek the judgement of (the days of) Ignorance? And who is better in judgement than Allaah for a people who have firm Faith”

[al-Maa'idah 5:49-50].

Hence when Allaah stated that those who do not rule in accordance with Islamic sharee’ah are guilty of kufr, He warned against helping them or taking them as allies or close friends, and He commanded the believers to fear Him if they were truly believers. He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not as Awliyaa’ (protectors and helpers) those who take your religion as a mockery and fun from among those who received the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before you, and nor from among the disbelievers; and fear Allaah if you indeed are true believers”

[al-Maa’idah 5:57]

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (1/373).

Islam Q&A

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
06-15-2010, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AinEstonia2
I quite like many of the human made laws, pretty sure it were humans and not God who abolished slavery or gave suffrage to women.
But if there were to be "God made laws", I hope He has been keeping up to date, to give us laws such as copyright laws ;)
well if we're told not to steal from others I'm pretty sure people can work out copyrighted material is similar to stealing

tango92
06-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Brother Ansar Al adl had an exellent article about this in a thread long (yrs?) ago. i cant find it now

basically the idea is that a muslim state is democaratic, in that it takes into account the views of the people with regards to current affairs. however there are differences like Laws which are set in stone can neither be increased or decreased.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I quite like many of the human made laws, pretty sure it were humans and not God who abolished slavery or gave suffrage to women.
But if there were to be "God made laws", I hope He has been keeping up to date, to give us laws such as copyright laws ;)
Well God is the one who sent Messengers to Mankind to speak of laws and whats is good and bad for humans, and the rest is up to humans to spread!. Then its no way the original rules were made by Man!
Man today still have silly rules/laws!
My opinion so yeah, if you disagree then thats your Deal
Indeed

Woodrow
06-15-2010, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
Well the diff is that Islaam is sent by God as a gift to mankind, but Democracy is some rules man made, thats just my opinion and i admit i havent dont much research on the topic so i should not speak
Sorry please dont get angry anyone

and smile

So yeah
That is true. Now the question is how do we choose who is qualified to enforce Shariah? If we say it is through the input of the people, that is an election even though no ballots are cast. If we say it is through Jihad that is an election except the ballots are bullets. So I still contend that the only way true Shariah can come into place is to be voted in by a pure democracy, that does follow the choice of the people.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-15-2010, 08:37 PM
^I agree . . . .

Masuma
06-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Laws aren't made up overnight, generally. It's true that none of us have flawless minds, that's why there are often long long long debates about making a new law, or modifying older ones.
Why always something like this comes from an Atheist? Still...,

Well even after your long long debates, such laws are made to pass which are a clear violation of chastity and modesty! Humans dam n laws with flaws! It is only God, who can provide ultimate PERFECT laws!

Please! It was the commandment of Allah to abolish slavery. Don't talk without any proofs. Okay?

And talking about woman's rights, are we? Islam is the ONLY religion which gave woman her full rights! Read it here! WOMAN'S RIGHTS IN ISLAM

Masuma
06-15-2010, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is true. Now the question is how do we choose who is qualified to enforce Shariah? If we say it is through the input of the people, that is an election even though no ballots are cast. If we say it is through Jihad that is an election except the ballots are bullets. So I still contend that the only way true Shariah can come into place is to be voted in by a pure democracy, that does follow the choice of the people.
Yeah. And I think that choice of the people always holds a great value in Islam and receives due consideration.

Masuma
06-15-2010, 08:46 PM
@ Brother Woodrow:
Brother can you please change my vote to "I don't know...need more research" option? Or nothing can't be done now?

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Hold on, don't you agree that democracy is haraam?

Ruling on democracy and elections and participating in that system
What is the ruling on democracy and taking a leadership role in parliment or other levels of the democratical government? What is the ruling regarding voting for someone in democracy? How was the islamic state organized, and governed in the classical times?.
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Democracy is a man-made system, meaning rule by the people for the people. Thus it is contrary to Islam, because rule is for Allaah, the Most High, the Almighty, and it is not permissible to give legislative rights to any human being, no matter who he is.

It says in Mawsoo’at al-Adyaan wa’l-Madhaahib al-Mu’aasirah (2/1066, 1067):

Undoubtedly the democratic system is one of the modern forms of shirk, in terms of obedience and following, or legislation, as it denies the sovereignty of the Creator and His absolute right to issue laws, and ascribes that right to human beings. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You do not worship besides Him but only names which you have named (forged) — you and your fathers — for which Allaah has sent down no authority. The command (or the judgement) is for none but Allaah. He has commanded that you worship none but Him (i.e. His Monotheism); that is the (true) straight religion, but most men know not”

[Yoosuf 12:40]

“The decision is only for Allaah”

[al-An’aam 6:57]

End quote.

This has been discussed in detail in the answer to question no. 98134.

Secondly:

The one who understands the true nature of the democratic system and the ruling thereon, then he nominates himself or someone else (for election) is approving of this system, and is working with it, is in grave danger, because the democratic system is contrary to Islam and approving of it and participating in it are actions that imply apostasy and being beyond the pale of Islam.

But as for the one who nominates himself or nominates others in this system in order to join the parliament and enjoin good and forbid evil, and establish proof against them, and reduce its evil and corruption as much as he can, so that people of corruption and disbelievers in Allaah will not have free rein to spread mischief in the land and spoil people’s worldly interests and religious commitment, this is a matter that is subject to ijtihaad, according to the interests that it is hoped will be served by that.

Some scholars are even of the view that getting involved in these elections is obligatory.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on elections, and he replied: I think that elections are obligatory; we should appoint the one who we think is good, because if the good people abstain, who will take their place? Evil people will take their place, or neutral people in whom there is neither good nor evil, but they follow everyone who makes noise. So we have no choice but to choose those who we think are fit.

If someone were to say: We chose someone but most of the parliament are not like that,

We say: It does not matter. If Allaah blesses this one person and enables him to speak the truth in this parliament, he will undoubtedly have an effect. But what we need is to be sincere towards Allaah and the problem is that we rely too much on physical means and we do not listen to what Allaah says. So nominate the one who you think is good, and put your trust in Allaah. End quote.

From Liqaa’aat al-Baab al-Maftooh, no. 210

http://www.ibnothaimeen.com/all/soun...le_16230.shtml

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas were asked:

Is it permissible to vote in elections and nominate people for them? Please note that our country is ruled according to something other than that which Allaah revealed?

They replied:

It is not permissible for a Muslim to nominate himself in the hope that he can become part of a system which rules according to something other than that which Allaah has revealed and operates according to something other than the sharee’ah of Islam. It is not permissible for a Muslim to vote for him or for anyone else who will work in that government, unless the one who nominates himself or those who vote for him hope that by getting involved in that they will be able to change the system to one that operates according to the sharee’ah of Islam, and they are using this as a means to overcome the system of government, provided that the one who nominates himself will not accept any position after being elected except one that does not go against Islamic sharee’ah. End quote.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (23/406, 407

They were also asked:

As you know, here in Algeria we have what are called legislative elections. There are parties which call for Islamic rule, and there are others that do not want Islamic rule. What is the ruling on one who votes for something other than Islamic rule even though he prays?

They replied:

The Muslims in a country that is not governed according to Islamic sharee’ah should do their utmost and strive as much as they can to bring about rule according to Islamic sharee’ah, and they should unite in helping the party which is known will rule in accordance with Islamic sharee’ah. As for supporting one who calls for non-implementation of Islamic sharee’ah, that is not permissible, rather it may lead a person to kufr, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And so judge (you O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) among them by what Allaah has revealed and follow not their vain desires, but beware of them lest they turn you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) far away from some of that which Allaah has sent down to you. And if they turn away, then know that Allaah’s Will is to punish them for some sins of theirs. And truly, most of men are Faasiqoon (rebellious and disobedient to Allaah).

50. Do they then seek the judgement of (the days of) Ignorance? And who is better in judgement than Allaah for a people who have firm Faith”

[al-Maa'idah 5:49-50].

Hence when Allaah stated that those who do not rule in accordance with Islamic sharee’ah are guilty of kufr, He warned against helping them or taking them as allies or close friends, and He commanded the believers to fear Him if they were truly believers. He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not as Awliyaa’ (protectors and helpers) those who take your religion as a mockery and fun from among those who received the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before you, and nor from among the disbelievers; and fear Allaah if you indeed are true believers”

[al-Maa’idah 5:57]

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (1/373).

Islam Q&A
Brother adill77:

I don't think that the type of democracy I mentioned in the OP is haram according to Islam. If people have voice in a lower level of law making, when the laws dealing with a particular situation are not present, then voting of the people (i.e democracy) is allowed.

And as I said before, I think that Islam has its "own version" of democracy.

aadil77
06-15-2010, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by An33za
@ Brother Woodrow:
Brother can you please change my vote to "I don't know...need more research" option? Or nothing can't be done now?

Brother adill77:

I don't think that the type of democracy I mentioned in the OP is haram according to Islam. If people have voice in a lower level of law making, when the laws dealing with a particular situation are not present, then voting of the people (i.e democracy) is allowed.

And as I said before, I think that Islam has its "own version" of democracy.
It depends if those laws have religious significance then a general ruling should be made by a panel of scholars, if the laws are concerning non-religious matters then I agree people should be able to vote about it

Rhubarb Tart
06-15-2010, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by An33za
Asalamu Alikum Wa Rehmatullahi Wa Barakatuh!

Mainly @ sweet106:
Sister, the topic “Is Islam and democracy compatible?” is like really Huge and requires great deal of research. I checked some websites and sometimes have found conflicting statements made by scholars and researchers. As a matter of fact, I feel like I have no knowledge about it. It would take considerable time to develop my own views. I could only come up with this so far: :( Annnhainhain!

When we talk about democracy, we usually compare it or visualize it to be a type of “Democracy” implemented in West. If one talks about such democracy, then obviously it is unacceptable to me. (…and I’ll dare not talk on anyone else’s behalf here)

In Western Democracy, laws are made BY the people FOR people; whereas in Islam, laws are made by ALLAH, for the people. So this type of Western democracy is incompatible with Islam. People, because none of us posses a flawless mind, are bound to make mistakes. We might not know what would be better for us in the long run.

Suppose, there is a newly invented machine and one wants to know what will be better for it; so for this purpose, one should consider whom? Who will be the best guide to tell us about the mechanism of the machine? And the answer is “it’s creator or manufacturer”. Same way, for us humans, the best One to guide is Allah BECAUSE He created us and knows everything about us.

We have various examples at hand to prove that western democracy finally flawed. People if they are in majority, can vote for something as blasphemous and evil as “making homosexuality legal.”

So as far as law making is concerned, humans have no right in it unless a law, particular to some newly arisen situation, doesn’t already exist in the Quran and Sunnah. At that time, scholars carry out Ijma (consensus of the scholars). And then Qiyas. So at this lower level, human participation is involved in law making.

But if we take the good points of western democracy, like people voting for the election of a leader, then that I think makes Islam and democracy no more at odds.

At the time of election of our Caliphs, it was always a voting process. People would give “bait” on the hand of a Caliph to show their approval. Yes, the former Caliphs did nominate candidates, but that is what happens today also! But the election of the Caliph was through a proper voting process.

And just to highlight this voting aspect of Islam, we know that Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) used to consult his companions in each and every situation.

Now about the rest of the part, I think Islam has its “own version” of true democracy.

Yeah one more thing, we think that rulers are immune to punishments or accountability but this false idea or rather an accusation has no base in history. If we’ll read about the time when Islam was at its rise, we would notice that even Caliphs would be called to Qazi’s (judge) court for accountability.

We remember the time when Muslims got hold of booty and it was fairly divided among the people. Hazrat Umar was in some meeting where one companion of the Prophet stood up and questioned him that everyone received a piece of cloth out of which only one shirt could hardly be made, but how come Hazrat Umar, who is even taller than the rest, is wearing a complete full-length shirt? So then Hazrat Umar answered and clarified it.

So here we see that even a Caliph could be questioned! No immunity of any type what so ever.

Now sis, this is only half of what I wanted to say. I know it doesn’t at all do justice to the topic but I only know this much. But of course Allah would teach me more about this and then I’ll be able to at least give a some what better reply.

And feel free to ignore it. It’s just a small point of view. :)

May Allah bless us all! Ameen!
wa alaykum e-salam

Thank you so much sister. I think this would be very helpful thread! I saved this page on my favourite so I can pass info on to people. Yeah I know there is soo much different information on this, that is why I think it deserves a thread of its own. I pretty sure some other threads have been made about this, I will search and post it here if I find it. Thank you :)

Masuma
06-16-2010, 07:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
wa alaykum e-salam

Thank you so much sister. I think this would be very helpful thread! I saved this page on my favourite so I can pass info on to people. Yeah I know there is soo much different information on this, that is why I think it deserves a thread of its own. I pretty sure some other threads have been made about this, I will search and post it here if I find it. Thank you :)
No my sweet106, thank YOU so much. It was all you who first gave the idea about it. And yes please do post any relevant material you find! And may Allah grant you Jannah. Ameen, Ameeen! :wub:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!