/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim names/Pagan Names

Candle
06-16-2010, 05:52 AM
What counts as a pagan name? How many reverts here adopted a new name?

My name is Keenan, or in my grandfathers tongue, Cianán. It's based on a Christian Saint, but it's been in my family a long time. Would I have to drop it..?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brenzy
06-16-2010, 06:00 AM
I think you should keep it, sounds like a good Irish name :)

Candle
06-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Thanks Brenzy, I'd like to keep it. I am curious how many reverts changed theirs though. I've read that it's hadith for the Prophet (PBUH) to change any names which were unIslamic.

جوري
06-16-2010, 06:26 AM
you should change your name if it has an awful meaning or translates to something bad.. but most converts I know have kept their original name including my sister in law.. it is the name your parents gave you and was gifted to you, so unless your name has a profoundly bad meaning I don't see any reason why you can't keep it.. surely Muslims are found from the U.S to China and tend to have names popular in their culture ..

Marmaduke Pickthall who translated the Quran kept his name, Leopold Weiss changed it to Muhammad Asad so in the end the decision is yours..

And Allah swt knows best..

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Candle
06-16-2010, 06:43 AM
you should change your name if it has an awful meaning or translates to something bad.. but most converts I know have kept their original name including my sister in law.. it is the name your parents gave you and was gifted to you, so unless your name has a profoundly bad meaning I don't see any reason why you can't keep it.. surely Muslims are found from the U.S to China and tend to have names popular in their culture ..

Marmaduke Pickthall who translated the Quran kept his name, Leopold Weiss changed it to Muhammad Asad so in the end the decision is yours..

And Allah swt knows best..

peace
Indeed he does.. I never liked it when people changed their names. It seems to me that we're given our names for a reason.

If Rashad or any other moderator comes across this thread could you please close it? Thanks. :)

غزالی
06-16-2010, 07:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Candle
Indeed he does.. I never liked it when people changed their names. It seems to me that we're given our names for a reason.

If Rashad or any other moderator comes across this thread could you please close it? Thanks. :)
You says right. But it is the sunnat of the Prophets s.a.w. During the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) when people used to accept Islam, he would not require all people to change their names. He used to change only those names that carried wrong meanings or un-Islamic ideas and concepts. The Prophet's wife `A'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said about the Prophet, "He used to change bad names." (Reported by at-Tirmidhi)

For instance, `Umar had a daughter whose name was "`Asiyah" (meaning disobedient or rude). The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) changed her name to "Jamilah" (the Beautiful- see Sunan Abu Dawud, Hadith no. 4301)

Abu Dawud has mentioned many names of people and places that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) changed because they had bad meanings. (see Hadith no. 4305)

It is reported in a hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "You will be called on the Day of Resurrection by your names and the names of your fathers, so have good names." (Reported by Abu Dawud)

Here and here there is Good detail on this topic

Brenzy
06-16-2010, 08:09 AM
I am a revert too, my name is Brennan very Irish :) lol. My name means teardrop, and I have no plans to change my name as of yet :)

Candle
06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
You says right. But it is the sunnat of the Prophets s.a.w. During the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) when people used to accept Islam, he would not require all people to change their names. He used to change only those names that carried wrong meanings or un-Islamic ideas and concepts. The Prophet's wife `A'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said about the Prophet, "He used to change bad names." (Reported by at-Tirmidhi)

For instance, `Umar had a daughter whose name was "`Asiyah" (meaning disobedient or rude). The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) changed her name to "Jamilah" (the Beautiful- see Sunan Abu Dawud, Hadith no. 4301)

Abu Dawud has mentioned many names of people and places that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) changed because they had bad meanings. (see Hadith no. 4305)

It is reported in a hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "You will be called on the Day of Resurrection by your names and the names of your fathers, so have good names." (Reported by Abu Dawud)

Here and here there is Good detail on this topic
Thanks Hafizsaad. Those were interesting articles. I can't believe someone named their kid Children of Fornication. (Banu az-Zinyah) :uuh:

I am a revert too, my name is Brennan very Irish lol. My name means teardrop, and I have no plans to change my name as of yet
Hey we're like parallels lol. Irish revert in Australia--Irish almost revert in Canada. I don't think Brennan's offensive though. Tis a solid name. :thumbs_up

UmmSqueakster
06-16-2010, 05:33 PM
typical conversation when meeting new people:

new person: soooo, are you arab? where are you from?

me: I'm from Wisconsin

new person: ?????

me: I mean, I'm an american convert. My family has lived in Wisconsin since before the civil war.

new person: ooooo, mashaAllah! So what is your name?

me: Jennifer

new person: oh no no no, what is your muslim name?

me: I'm a muslim. My name is Jennifer. Ergo, Jennifer is my muslim name.

new person: no no no, you must change your name when you become muslim. let me see, how about Aisha? Amira?

me: Um yeah no. When the vast majority of sahabi became muslim, they kept their birth names. Islam asks us to honor our parents. My parents named me Jennifer, so I honor them by keeping it.

And here the conversation goes off onto other well worn tangents, including how my parents reacted to my conversion (to which I answer, better than yours probably would if you converted to christianity) to if I am married (yes, yes I am, and no, I didn't convert for him).

Ah, the joys of being a convert ;D

Candle
06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
typical conversation when meeting new people:

new person: soooo, are you arab? where are you from?

me: I'm from Wisconsin

new person: ?????

me: I mean, I'm an american convert. My family has lived in Wisconsin since before the civil war.

new person: ooooo, mashaAllah! So what is your name?

me: Jennifer

new person: oh no no no, what is your muslim name?

me: I'm a muslim. My name is Jennifer. Ergo, Jennifer is my muslim name.

new person: no no no, you must change your name when you become muslim. let me see, how about Aisha? Amira?

me: Um yeah no. When the vast majority of sahabi became muslim, they kept their birth names. Islam asks us to honor our parents. My parents named me Jennifer, so I honor them by keeping it.

And here the conversation goes off onto other well worn tangents, including how my parents reacted to my conversion (to which I answer, better than yours probably would if you converted to christianity) to if I am married (yes, yes I am, and no, I didn't convert for him).

Ah, the joys of being a convert
haha, converts should just have name tags with all of the above answered.

kite runner
06-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I have heard you only HAVE to change your name when it means something bad. I didn;t change mine. I felt as if I would be stabbing my parents in the back if I did plus I like my name :P

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!