/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Make up and threading

Pure Imaan
06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Salaam

How is everyone doing? Hope everyone is in the best of health insh'allah. Someone has told me that threading or waxing facial hair (forehead, upper lip, sides of face etc) is haraam and so is wearing make up .. I am unmarried, and majority of the times I do not wear make up because I want to achieve natural beauty, if however sometimes I get small spots then I just wear very light make-up to cover it, my intention of wearing make up is not to attract attention, astugfuriallah, when I go out I lower my gaze, its just to cover any small spots I may have.. is this wrong?

Can you please post any quranic evidence or hadith supporting your statements, becuase I want to live my life the right way, jazakhallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
06-17-2010, 10:19 PM
3 – Hair concerning which the texts are silent and do not say whether it is to be removed or left as it is, such as hair on the legs, hands, cheeks or forehead.

There is some difference of scholarly opinion concerning this.

Some said that it is not permissible to remove it, because removing it implies changing the creation of Allaah, as Allaah tells us that the Shaytaan said:

“ ‘and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah’”[al-Nisa’ 4:119 – interpretation of the meaning]

Some said that this is one of the things concerning which nothing was said, so the ruling is that it is allowed. It is permissible to leave it or to remove it, because whatever is not mentioned in the Qur’aan or Sunnah is permissible.

This was the view favoured by the scholars of the Standing Committee and by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen. See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 3/879

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah:

(a) There is no sin on a woman if she removes hair on her upper lip, thighs, calves and arms. This is not part of the tanammus (plucking) that is forbidden.

(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194, 195)

(b) The Committee was asked:

What is the Islamic ruling on plucking the hair between the eyebrows?

They replied:

It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows.

(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/197)

The Standing Committee was asked:

What is the ruling on a woman removing hair from her body?

They replied:

It is permissible for her to do that, apart from the hair of the eyebrows and head. It is not permissible for her to remove the hair of her head or to remove any part of the eyebrows, whether by shaving or any other means.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194

We should comment on the questioner’s words “I know that plucking the eyebrows is haraam and removing facial hair is also.”

As for plucking the eyebrows, this is haraam and is a major sin, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed those who do it.

But as for removing facial hair, there is a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether it is permissible to remove it. This is based on their various understandings of the word al-namas.

Some scholars said that al-namas means removing any facial hair, and they did not limit it to the eyebrows. Others were of the view that al-namas refers to removing the hair of the eyebrows only. This was the view favoured by the Standing Committee as is clear from the fatwas quoted above.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah:

Al-namas means plucking the hair of the eyebrows, which is not permissible because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah).

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/195

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/9037/hair%20removal

Salahudeen
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Praise be to Allaah.

We ask Allaah Almighty to increase you in faith and to make you content with the truth.

Your question includes two issues:

1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.

But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said:

It is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair short in the back and leave the sides longer, because this involves disfiguring and fooling about with her hair which is part of her beauty, and it also involves imitating the kaafir women. This prohibition also applies to haircuts which are named after kaafir women or animals, like the “Diana” cut, named after a kaafir women, or the “lion” cut or “mouse” cut, because it is haraam to imitate the kaafirs or to imitate animals, and because that involves fooling about with a woman’s hair which is part of her beauty.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 2/516,517

2 – Removing facial hair.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to hair which is abnormal, because it grows in places where hair does not usually grow, such as a woman having a moustache or hair growing on her cheeks, there is nothing wrong with removing this, because it is abnormal and is disfiguring to the woman.

The Standing Committee was asked about women removing facial hair, and they replied as follows:

It is OK for a woman to remove hair on the upper lip, thighs, calves and arms. This is not the same as plucking (eyebrows), which is forbidden.

‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194, 195

The Standing Committee was also asked:

What is the ruling on a woman removing hair from her body; if it is permissible, then who is allowed to do that for her?

They answered:

It is permissible for her (to remove) everything except her eyebrows and the hair on her head; it is not permissible for her to remove those, or to remove anything from the eyebrows whether by shaving or any other means. She, her husband or one of her mahrams may do that for her, with regard to the parts of the body that they are permitted to see; or another woman may do that, with regard to the parts of the body that she is permitted to see

‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194

The hair of the private parts and the thighs may not be seen by either another woman or a mahram.

It is forbidden for a woman to remove her eyebrows or part of them by any means, whether it be by shaving, cutting, using a depilatory substance, because this constitutes the plucking for which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it, i.e., the women who plucks all or part of her eyebrows, claiming that it is for the purpose of beautification, or the woman who does that for her. This is changing the creation of Allaah which the Shaytaan promised to enjoin upon the sons of Adam.

See the answer to Question No. 2162, 1172, 1192

See also al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 3, p. 877-879
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/13744/hair%20removal

Pure Imaan
06-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Jazakhallah squiggle for your posts, may Allah (swt) reward you for your good intentions, ameen ... I understand we musnt shape the eye brows which I avoid, when I go to the beautcians's house I say to only pluck the excess and to not make a shape, and I also thread my whole face, is this ok? Im sorry if I am repeating myself I just want to be sure 100%. Also in regards to the make-up query I will try and execute independant research and see what I can find inshallah. May Allah (swt) help us all to remain steadfast, enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil and realise this world brings nothing but emptiness and false hopes and promises, whereas the akhirah is permanent, our ever-lasting resting place, ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
06-27-2010, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Imaan
Salaam

How is everyone doing? Hope everyone is in the best of health insh'allah. Someone has told me that threading or waxing facial hair (forehead, upper lip, sides of face etc) is haraam and so is wearing make up .. I am unmarried, and majority of the times I do not wear make up because I want to achieve natural beauty, if however sometimes I get small spots then I just wear very light make-up to cover it, my intention of wearing make up is not to attract attention, astugfuriallah, when I go out I lower my gaze, its just to cover any small spots I may have.. is this wrong?

Can you please post any quranic evidence or hadith supporting your statements, becuase I want to live my life the right way, jazakhallah
Shaykh Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf:

Taking the hadith and the various statements of the Hanafi jurists into consideration the following could be concluded:

1. It would be permitted for a woman to remove a beard or a moustache that appears on her face. Even though it is facial hair, but since it is to stop women from resembling men, it is permitted. This is the opinion of the majority of scholars, in fact they have said it is recommended, not just permitted. The same will be to bleach this hair instead.

2. If the eyebrows are linked in between, it would be permissible to remove the excess hair from in between to separate them [i.e. the hair above the nose]. The reason for this is that linked eyebrows are looked upon as a defect, hence it would be permissible to remove it.

3. A 'few' stray hairs around the eyebrows would be permissible to remove by clipping them off, if it looks defective, or for married women creates abhorrence in their husband. This does not mean it is permitted to remove a whole line or two of fine hair from around the eyebrows [as is the case nowadays].

4. Dense bushy eyebrows may be trimmed down to a more normal size. However, one must exercise great caution in this regard, since one does not want it to fall under the warning of the hadith. If one is not sure how to determine the normal size they should not act on the benefit of the doubt, but rather follow the more cautionary approach and trim less. What so called 'regular' [especially non-Muslim] people consider nowadays as the norm i.e. eyebrows that are shaped in particular unnatural or reduced to thin lines can not be considered as acceptable in Islamic law due to the severity of the hadith.

5. Great caution has to be exercised in this regard, since the hadith is very strict and there are some Hanafi scholars who have taken more strict position. For instance, Mullah Ali al-Qari (Allah be pleased with him) comments [relating from Imam Nawawi] that plucking of the facial hair is haram (unlawful) for a woman with the exception of moustache or beard hairs (Mirqat al-Mafatih 8:218). The concessions mentioned above are for the removal of a defective appearance and not for purely beautification purpose, hence, caution in this matters is the way.

With regards to makeup:

Allah Most High instructed:

�And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.� (Qur�an, 24.31)

And:

�Adorn not yourselves with the adornment of the Time of Ignorance.� (Qur�an, 33.33)

Imam Abu Bakr al-Jassas al-Razi (Allah have mercy on him) explained the various opinions regarding this verse, including:

1. Qatada said this means that they should not adorn themselves when they leave their houses;

2. Others said it is to show one�s beauty to [non-mahram] men. [Tafsir Ahkam al-Qur�an]

Therefore it is not permissable to wear any makeup outside of the home especially infront of non mahram men. Your beauty is only for your partner and Allah has made you beautiful so there is no need to wear any makeup outside of the home. However wearing henna and kohl is permissable but one should be very careful even when wearing kohl because it can beautify the eyes and attract unwanted attention which goes against the very purpose of hijaab.

One can wear as much makeup as one likes infront of ones partner. Also sister when buying makeup products ensure that they do not contain any animal ingredients. Also sister just to add that wearing makeup will make the condition of your skin and spots worse. Inshallah by wearing less makeup the condition of your skin and spots will get much better.

and Allah knows best in all matters

Masuma
06-27-2010, 01:17 PM
:salamext:
Sister Pure Imaan, we discussed all these issues in detail here. http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ver-fatwa.html

Yeah but not the "make up" part. :hmm:

cat eyes
06-27-2010, 01:33 PM
i'm just wondering nowadays husbands expect that there wives should look pretty and stuff. what does a wife do in this regard? i think eye brows play a big part in the way a woman looks.

i don't know why some scholars say then you should look good for your spouse so he will lower his gaze? are they not contradicting that hadith then because these days i notice a lot of married women feel pressure to look super for there husbands because there husbands are being told its a part of islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!