/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Has the internet been beneficial to your life?

espada
06-17-2010, 11:34 PM
:sl:

Has it helped you learn about Islam?

Has it helped you learn about other things?

Has it helped you connect with Muslims from all over the world, and share your love of Allah and his Messenger :saws:

Has it helped you connect with respectful non-Muslims?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rabi Mansur
06-18-2010, 01:19 AM

Without the internet, I would not have a very good grasp of what Islam is all about. Seriously. It has had a huge impact on me.

:wa:

Woodrow
06-18-2010, 02:57 AM
If it were not for the internet I would have contact with perhaps 6 Muslims at the most. I would have no source for Da'wah materials, I would have no way of getting exact prayer times, I would have a very restricted communication with any Brothers.

I suspect that for many reverts in America the internet is our primary if not only contact with Islam.

cat eyes
06-18-2010, 03:39 AM
yes it has Alhamdulilah just registered with an online islamic course today.. so should keep me busy for the summer inshallah. however i do tend to waste time too on internet but internet over all is good. i suppose its like a sword, it can harm you too if you don't use it correctly.

also meeting muslims on the internet has made me aware that other brothers and sisters badly need our duas and i realised that how blessed i am too. i think it has made my love grow strong for my brothers and sisters.. i love them all for the sake of Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
06-18-2010, 03:53 AM
Salams...

its benefits me especially the online shopping thing...huhuhu :hiding: now i don't have to walk to all the shops...and go out of the house lol huhu

Danah
06-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Its a great blessing in my life. I can't say more than that !
Alhumdulilah for that!

glo
06-18-2010, 02:22 PM
I have learned more about Islam through the Internet than I have from the Muslim community in my home town.

Supreme
06-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Yes. It's broadened my knowledge on most things, including Islam. It's also broadened my knowledge on religion in general, including my own, and without it, I would not have a clue on various world views.

seek-paradise
06-18-2010, 02:30 PM

YES I LEARNED ISLAMIC STUDIES BY SCHOLARS IN INTERNET BASED ISLAMIC INSTITUTES

YES ESPECIALLY WHAT IS RELATED TO MY WORK AND OTHERS WHICH ARE NOT AS DESIGNING

Has it helped you connect with Muslims from all over the world, and share your love of Allah and his Messenger :saws:
YES MY DEAREST SISTERS ARE THOSE i KNOW FROM INTERNET AND THIS WAS A GREAT GIFT FROM ALLAH WE MEMORIZING QURAAN TOGETHER AND STUDYING ISLAM TOGETHER

NOT YET
GAZAKOM ALLAHU KHAIRAN

glo
06-18-2010, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Yes. It's broadened my knowledge on most things, including Islam. It's also broadened my knowledge on religion in general, including my own, and without it, I would not have a clue on various world views.
I agree with that.

The beauty of the Internet is that it gives you access to information from different sources.
No longer do we have to rely on one source of information - be that about news events, politics, religion etc - but we can find out what different sources say and how other people interpret and perceive the same events.

I have learned that there is rarely only ONE answer or ONE suggested solution, but that different people have different views altogether.
Hopefully we can learn from each other that way ...

espada
06-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Wow, somebody said no.

It has beneficial for me, although i'm not much of a message forum person. This is the first Islamic forum i've joined.

i'd like to hear the reason that somebody said no but if they are too shy, it's okay.

Rhubarb Tart
06-18-2010, 10:08 PM
as-salam alaykum

I voted no because the internet only exposed alot of bogots and hatred not just towards muslims but sometimes towards ethnic minorities including somalis. I even read stuff from so called muslims attitude towards black in particular. The internet is a like heaven for these idoits. But all this was before I started spending more time on this forum and news and message box, I think in time I will change my mind towards internet benefiting me.

Rhubarb Tart
06-18-2010, 10:10 PM
The internet bascially almost made me lose my faith in humanity. Not to mention I knew a lot fights in my early teens and late teens organised via internet. Not me of course but from people I knew. Also the videos of those fights, and I used to watch it!

espada
06-18-2010, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
The internet bascially almost made me lose my faith in humanity. Not to mention I knew a lot fights in my early teens and late teens organised via internet. Not me of course but from people I knew. Also the videos of those fights, and I used to watch it!

When i first started reading the comments sections of news items, i became very disturbed by what i read.

And i had a similar reaction that you did. It's difficult sometimes to read arguments online, knowing that would hardly be how they treated each other in real life.

i'm really limiting my internet to work (required), required communication (email) and Islam (required).

cat eyes
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM

glo
06-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I agree that you have to be very selective in what you read and look at on the Internet.
There must be a huge amount of trash out there, which is either not beneficial or downright harmful, false, inappropriate or disgusting!

Still, with a little care and self-control the Internet is immensely useful and beneficial.

muslimahhhh
06-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Yes, i have learnt & benefitted alot from the internet.

Woodrow
06-18-2010, 11:53 PM
It is fast becoming a necessity for those of us who live far from any cities. Much of our shopping is done online. I also need it for current weather reports as there are no local forecasts, but I can go on line and look at the satellite images of the weather conditions in the 4 state region, get a rough idea if any storms are heading this way. Also it is very good for finding prayers online on the days we can not get to the Masjid. Not quite as good as being in the Masjid, but much better than not having it. Up here in the winter time it is nearly the only contact we have with the outside world for 6 months.

espada
06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is fast becoming a necessity for those of us who live far from any cities. Much of our shopping is done online. I also need it for current weather reports as there are no local forecasts, but I can go on line and look at the satellite images of the weather conditions in the 4 state region, get a rough idea if any storms are heading this way. Also it is very good for finding prayers online on the days we can not get to the Masjid. Not quite as good as being in the Masjid, but much better than not having it. Up here in the winter time it is nearly the only contact we have with the outside world for 6 months.
You live in North Dakota, correct? Do you have a Masjid nearby? SubhanAllah, that is amazing.

I don't know much about North Dakota except that it is windy and cold. Islam would be one of the last things to come to my mind.

Weather reports and radar (real-time) are a huge benefit of the internet.

Woodrow
06-19-2010, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by espada
You live in North Dakota, correct? Do you have a Masjid nearby? SubhanAllah, that is amazing.

I don't know much about North Dakota except that it is windy and cold. Islam would be one of the last things to come to my mind.

Weather reports and radar (real-time) are a huge benefit of the internet.

The closest actual Masjid is nearly 400 miles away. The nearest one with over 100 Muslims that attend it is nearly 600 miles away. North Dakota is very sparsely populated, there are no large cities in fact the entire population of the state is smaller than many cities.

dew of paradise
06-19-2010, 12:15 AM
i will go with NO but my NO is not strictly NO!!!i hope u all knw wt i mean.....every1 have freedom of speech & i respect tht,after reading comments some bros & sisters said internet helped thm with there deen,studying islam,dawah ETC.....but every pic have 2 sides,i will go with more NO bcz in the Prophet Muhammad pbuh time waz internet available to spread Islam?Prophet pbuh & companions even women of tht time sufferd & left their houses to spread deen!!!its excuse tht v cannot go out,2nd some bros & sisters said v learn alot!!i will go did prophet & companions learned like tht?v go to school college university to become doctor lawer ETC but wen time comes to study islam v say internet why dont v go to Islamic institute......internet confuses more bcz there is no proper guidance wt to follow?i mean wt if i do go to youtube & watch lecture and another video of imam differs from it?the muftis & imam from my point of view became knowledgeable bcz thy gave their lift time to learn Islam!!i dnt want to be rude ask forgivness frm Allah n all of youz tht wen v hv any problem v come on internet or forum & tell our problems.1st of all me n other ppl will go to other websites & will copy the fatwas & will paste here when 1st MYSELF & others hv wt so ever no knowledge about tht!!is this not the sign of judgment day tht ppl will go to illiterate person for advice....is ALLAH QURAN or Mosques are faraway frm us for knowledge or advice?my biggest question is wt if one of us gave wrong advice & tht person follows it.wt answer r face v will show to Allah?Another matter regarding the Internet which is associated with the preconditions of the Hour is the saying of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, as in the book of Imaam Ibn Hibbaan, may Allaah have mercy upon him:LYING WILL SPREAD A liar will be punished in his grave by having his face ripped down to his rectum, because of how his lies spread among people. Nowadays, one can lie and publish this on the Internet, and it would spread from the east to the west in an instant.then on internet v do chatting?is tht allowed wen clearly Most scholars agree that it is haram to talk informally online with the opposite sex, because, first of all, Islam prohibits friendship between men and women who are not mahrems, and, secondly, because of the great harm that may result from it. It is not permissible for any man to correspond with a woman who is not his mahram, because of the fitnah (temptation) involved in that. A person may think that there is no fitnah, but the Shaytaan will keep trying until he or she tempts him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded those who heard of the Dajjaal to keep away from him, and said that a man may approach him as a believer, but the Dajjaal will keep trying until he leads him astray!!!.my opinion is if v have to learn,guidance clearly there r other ways then internet!!I HOPE U ALL SISTERS & BROS WONT BE OFFENDED........make duaa ALLAH ALMIGHTY SHOULD GUIDE US AMIN

espada
06-19-2010, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dew of paradise
I HOPE U ALL SISTERS & BROS WONT BE OFFENDED........make duaa ALLAH ALMIGHTY SHOULD GUIDE US AMIN
Ameen.

And i'm not offended and think you bring up some good points.

cat eyes
06-19-2010, 12:35 AM
The problem is there is different sects in islam now and they are promoting there beliefs around u.k or what ever country you might be living in and they target uneducated people and say that the prophet mohammad (saw) practiced this when in fact it could be lies. how can a certain person know whether they are telling the truth or not? this is also signs of judgement day. people need access to internet to learn so they can not be mis informed. internet is important. you need to study the deen yourself and not blindly follow some one and what there teaching you without proper interpretations from sunnah and holy Qur'an.

dew of paradise
06-19-2010, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
The problem is there is different sects in islam now and they are promoting there beliefs . how can a certain person know whether they are telling the truth or not?people need access to internet to learn so they can not be mis informed. internet is important. you need to study the deen yourself and not blindly follow some one and what there teaching you without proper interpretations from sunnah and holy Qur'an.
1st of all SISTER u say u learn alot can u answer tht chatting is haram in Islam so wht v r doing here on forums?shwing our emotions to anybody can fall for them 2nd did u learned Quran r prayer through internet as i said m not totally against internet but questions u raised hv no base!!ppl also prompt their believe on internet so nobody cannot say intenet is pure can find so many fatwas which differs from each other on internet!!!if there r diferent sect & ppl are worried so why thy dnt search out as to collect n for authenticity of 1 single hadith ppl traveled for years!!!did thy had internet???majority wen ppl use internet thy open 3 r 4 web pages 2gether!u r not concentrating on 1 thing!!k nw tmrw if anybody want to memorize Quran so he or she should use internet??u said intenet is important to learn the deen urself.v will start frm basic,if anybody want to learn Quran should he r she go to internet?the imams & muftis learned the deen frm internet?if anybody who have to learn the deen themselves so whats the point of opening Islamic institutes r going to mosque?why it comes on Islam tht v r learning from internet why anybody dnt say i want to become lawyer,doctor from internet?as i said everybody have there on opinion so no point replying hope didn offended u sister

seek-paradise
06-19-2010, 02:09 AM
Internet is considered a great way and source for learning especially when we know well how to use according to our islamic rules and It is very important for women who cannot go to mosque or to islamic institutes to learn and there are many like that

yahia12
06-19-2010, 09:56 AM
no...internet is garbage.

Woodrow
06-19-2010, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serdar
no...internet is garbage.

Agreed,

but it has become the primary means of communication for those of us who live a days travel from the closest city and nearly 2 days travel to get to the nearest Muslim neighbor.

A telephone is also garbage if all it is used for is to answer calls from telemarketers, an automobile is also garbage if all you use it for is going to places of fitnah, a book is garbage if all you read is trash.

glo
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Greetings, Dew of paradise, and welcome to the LI forum.

If you feel so strongly about the evils and the fitnah of Internet forums, then can I politely ask you what you are doing here?
I hope you don't mind my question. I mean no offense, and I am simply curious.

Salaam

cat eyes
06-19-2010, 04:35 PM
1st of all SISTER u say u learn alot can u answer tht chatting is haram in Islam so wht v r doing here on forums?shwing our emotions to anybody can fall for them 2nd did u learned Quran r prayer through internet as i said m not totally against internet but questions u raised hv no base!!ppl also prompt their believe on internet so nobody cannot say intenet is pure can find so many fatwas which differs from each other on internet!!!if there r diferent sect & ppl are worried so why thy dnt search out as to collect n for authenticity of 1 single hadith ppl traveled for years!!!did thy had internet???majority wen ppl use internet thy open 3 r 4 web pages 2gether!u r not concentrating on 1 thing!!k nw tmrw if anybody want to memorize Quran so he or she should use internet??u said intenet is important to learn the deen urself.v will start frm basic,if anybody want to learn Quran should he r she go to internet?the imams & muftis learned the deen frm internet?if anybody who have to learn the deen themselves so whats the point of opening Islamic institutes r going to mosque?why it comes on Islam tht v r learning from internet why anybody dnt say i want to become lawyer,doctor from internet?as i said everybody have there on opinion so no point replying hope didn offended u sister
i don't step foot outside of my home to learn deen because there is more bad then good out there. people prompt there beliefs everywhere im aware of that but at least you can get a full understanding on the internet of what to follow. even the scholars of peace t.v have opened online universities for muslims wanting to study. can you honestly say that they are doing wrong or that they don't know anything about the deen?or all the muslims around the world should go straight to medina and enroll in the university there? lol also there is no certain islamic classes available in certain countries even you should know this. there might be mosques but they do not do any courses. did Allah make this religion easy or did he make it difficult? we should be thankful that what our early generations did for us ALHAMDULILAH i know what imam bukhari suffered even to find one hadith subhanAllah now its available to us so easily over the internet so shouldn't we be thankful really?

also about the forum issue. i come on here to help people and meet new muslimah's and this is truly my intention and Allah knows my intention. its not for you or anybody else to say that i am or anyone else is doing wrong in that. let Allah swt be the judge. if he knows our intention is good, we will not be punished for that.

yahia12
06-19-2010, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Agreed,

but it has become the primary means of communication for those of us who live a days travel from the closest city and nearly 2 days travel to get to the nearest Muslim neighbor.

A telephone is also garbage if all it is used for is to answer calls from telemarketers, an automobile is also garbage if all you use it for is going to places of fitnah, a book is garbage if all you read is trash.
Salam
I think for sure there are positive usage of internet, as you mentioned comminicating...i also think that the negative impact on users is much more the the positive.

Woodrow
06-19-2010, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serdar
Salam
I think for sure there are positive usage of internet, as you mentioned comminicating...i also think that the negative impact on users is much more the the positive.

True many people do not use it as a necessity and use it more as a toy. But, in the early days of the telephone that was also true for the telephone. when I was a young boy in the 1940s telephones were still a novelty and we played on them very much like youngster of today play on the internet

But when the novelty fades it will have the chance of being a tool and no longer a toy

dew of paradise
06-19-2010, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greetings, Dew of paradise, and welcome to the LI forum.

If you feel so strongly about the evils and the fitnah of Internet forums, then can I politely ask you what you are doing here?
I hope you don't mind my question. I mean no offense, and I am simply curious.

Salaam
Sorry this is my last post here as actually i m sister<female>i lost my husband cz of this internet addiction & chatting with non mehram men!!!i use to sit for hours & hours & send messages even i was watching Islamic videos bt i waz more in to chat & not in marriage life!!!1 day i left my husband n went to my parents house n i start using internet there n fall for sumbody n i thought he is a good muslim n will help me with my deen n some how my husband found n he don't want me any more bak!!!!later i found tht guy waz also drama n nw i lost my husband who gave me advices bt i never listened to him.sorry for all ths......m gona close my account thanks

Rabi Mansur
06-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Salaam, Aeikum,

So sorry to hear about your loss Uchti. May you find peace. You don't need to close your account though.
:-(

glo
06-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Sorry this is my last post here as actually i m sister<female>i lost my husband cz of this internet addiction & chatting with non mehram men!!!i use to sit for hours & hours & send messages even i was watching Islamic videos bt i waz more in to chat & not in marriage life!!!1 day i left my husband n went to my parents house n i start using internet there n fall for sumbody n i thought he is a good muslim n will help me with my deen n some how my husband found n he don't want me any more bak!!!!later i found tht guy waz also drama n nw i lost my husband who gave me advices bt i never listened to him.sorry for all ths......m gona close my account thanks
Please don't close your account on account of my post, Dew of Paradise. I did not mean to drive you away from this forum. :embarrass

I am very sorry to hear about your loss, and I can understand better now why you feel so negative about Internet forums.
I know what you mean about putting your husband and marriage before the Internet community. I too have to listen to my husband, because he tells me when he feels I am spending too much time in this forum.

On the other hand, once you have 300 posts you can apply to the sister's section. There you will find a safe place, where you can communicate with other muslimahs without having to mix with men.
There may also be other female only forums, where you could find support, friendship and information.

I pray your marriage will be restored and you will find peace and joy again.

seek-paradise
06-19-2010, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Please don't close your account

I pray your marriage will be restored and you will find peace and joy again.
me too dew
جبر الله كسرك ورفع قدرك وعوضك خيرا

Al Qabayli
06-19-2010, 10:02 PM
as-salamu `alaykum !

The internet has been very beneficial for me ! I'm from France (from Paris) and without the Internet I would'nt be here now !!
It's very very interessant to talk with muslims all over the world.

Thank you all !!

nousername
06-20-2010, 05:40 AM
learning about Islam for sure. without i would have never had the opportunity to talk to Musllims and would only know about Islam from what the paper says :(

samzee
07-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Keeping contact around the world , sitting at home with almost any information inthe world in one second . Great to have internet. One problem: I step int o virus traps from time to time

PouringRain
07-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Like some others here, I live quite far from any Muslims, so the internet has allowed me a place to learn about Islam (and other things). Not everything, nor everyone, on the internet is beneficial. Lots of things to stay away from. Lots of not so good people also. Also lots of good people. I have met some great people on the internet.

__follower
07-16-2010, 01:28 PM
The use of the Internet offers a variety of benefits to everyone who is willing to use it. The enormous amount of information available and the many uses one can have through the internet have made it the most valuable tool in various settings of a person’s life.
so it has benefits but with good there is always cons

Snowflake
07-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Oh yes! The internet's been a big blessing. Al hamdulillah the best gain is that I learnt about Islam in it's true form. About people and the extreme differences in people's personalities. I met some really horrible and some lovely people. So it's been a great learning experience on a social level - something I never got growing up. I also learnt how much non muslim hate islam and muslims. Well no one tells you to your face do they. Ooh and I just love Google. I wish I could hug it. You can just google anything. Like how to fix your sewing machine or whatever, and save yourself a fortune in calling a professional to do it.

And just recently learnt that you can wash your clothes without soap using Eco Washing Balls. Woohooo! ;D It sounded yucky at first until I read the science behind it. I'm sooooooo excited. I want some! Like sis Syilla, I found the benefits of internet shopping. I learnt how uneducated I am lol ahem!!! *cringe* :-[ but also how tolerant compared to lots of people lol :happy:

Hmm.. finally I found the internet is a great place to do business from and that you can save a huge amount on telephone bills by emailing companies instead. I lurveeeeee the internet :statisfie

Do I sound hyper today? lol :phew ;D

Asiyah3
07-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes al-hamdulillah. As said, internet can be both beneficial or harmful depending on how you use it. I've learned a lot about Islam and from my sisters and brothers. It's made it easier to verify what others tell you of Islamic teachings. Also, no need to be dependent on TV for listening to lectures and different recitations of the Qur'aan.

Woodrow
07-16-2010, 09:14 PM
I believe every thing in this dun'ya has positive and negative aspects. It is always our choice if we use something to benefit or destroy or for good or for evil.

Thinking back at some things that were viewed as evil by most people when they first became available:

Electricity

Automobile

Telephone

Radio

television

Photography

Air planes

I think virtually every new development has been initially viewed as being evil by many people. It is true all things have both good and bad attributes. It always comes down to our choice as to how we as individuals will use it.

Asiyah3
07-16-2010, 09:25 PM
^True, do you remember why those were viewed as evil?

Woodrow
07-17-2010, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by **muslimah**
^True, do you remember why those were viewed as evil?
Some from actual memory and some from "tales"

I can remember when we first got electricity where I lived. Many people were opposed to it. The things I recall hearing: It made people lazy as rhey did not have to fill lanterns and carry them out to the barn. Teenagers could be in a dark room and turn on the lights if they heard parents coming near. It was a fire hazard. It was dangerous. I remember my grandmother was very much afraid of it and did not want any wall sockets as she thought electricity would jump out of the socket and kill you.

The automobiles was seen as a very immoral seduction tool used by rich teenage boys to seduce girls.

The telephone was seen as a flirtation device and encouraged girls to run away with boyfriends

Many radio shows were thought to be very vulgar and obscene. Many comedians used very subtle innuendos to suggest obscene acts. A lot of the old radio comedians were very nasty and during the days of live broadcasting, many off-color jokes got spread via the air ways.

Television was often seen as very obscene. Come to think of it many early commercials were quite provocative

Photography can be summed up with the words "you want to buy some French Pictures?"

Air planes: To understand why some thought they were immoral, you would have to know about the "Mile High Club".

Asiyah3
07-17-2010, 02:03 PM
^ SubhaanAllah, shows well how the morality amongst people has changed.. :)

ardianto
07-20-2010, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by espada

Yes, yes, Alhamdulillah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!