/* */

PDA

View Full Version : flag colours

abdul68
06-19-2010, 12:31 PM
salam alaikum to all dont know if this is relevant but i was in another city with work recently i saw a mosque with a yellow flag outside then later another mosque with green flags outside does it stand for anything,im aware of different schools of thought & as an english revert it can be daunting walking into a new mosque fos the 1st time so if it stands fos something it would be nice to know thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-19-2010, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul68
salam alaikum to all dont know if this is relevant but i was in another city with work recently i saw a mosque with a yellow flag outside then later another mosque with green flags outside does it stand for anything,im aware of different schools of thought & as an english revert it can be daunting walking into a new mosque fos the 1st time so if it stands fos something it would be nice to know thanks.
Astagfirullah

What the geehoppers is going on in the UK?

Ummu Sufyaan
06-19-2010, 01:06 PM
:sl:
i dont think it stands for different schools of thought? have you seen this in other mosques other than those 2? how about asking someone at those mosques?

Ramadhan
06-19-2010, 06:00 PM
what sort of flag?

In Indonesia, whenever there is somebody has just died, we put little yellow flag on the mouth of the street where the house is located to inform people so they can be more considerate when they pass through the street.
But we do not normally put them outside mosques. And I have never seen any flags outside any mosque that signify anything.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abdul68
06-19-2010, 08:29 PM
thanks for the answers evbod y they're just plain yellow at 1 & plain green at the other theyre quite far from 1 another so are in different communities if i get chance inshallah i will ask someone.It could quite easily be nothing i just wondered if it was theres so much still to learn that i may ask the odd pointless question

Woodrow
06-19-2010, 09:10 PM
thanks for the answers evbod y they're just plain yellow at 1 & plain green at the other theyre quite far from 1 another so are in different communities if i get chance inshallah i will ask someone.It could quite easily be nothing i just wondered if it was theres so much still to learn that i may ask the odd pointless question
As Salammu Alaikum Akhi,

There are no pointless answers. But sometimes the answers might be pointless. I was baffled I have never seen a flag of any type at a Masjid. I was wondering if this is something unique to the UK. Them Brits can be a strange lot ;D not a thing at all like us sensible Yanks.

glo
06-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I've tried googling this and have found no reference to flags on mosques. (Only the odd report of burning Union Jacks outside mosques ... :D)

abdul68
06-20-2010, 02:42 PM
ha ha sensible yanks is not a phrase you hear very often.i also tried googlin it with no joy thats why i asked here

Woodrow
06-20-2010, 03:01 PM
ha ha sensible yanks is not a phrase you hear very often.i also tried googlin it with no joy thats why i asked here
I think only a Yank would even think there is such a thing as a sensible Yank.

It sounds like it is something of local meaning here in the US the color yellow on things is used to represent a missing person. Comes from an old song called "Tie a yellow Ribbon around the old oak tree" I doubt if any of us can guess what the meaning is for the flags. Best way would be to ask somebody at those Masjids.

north_malaysian
07-22-2010, 06:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

In Indonesia, whenever there is somebody has just died, we put little yellow flag on the mouth of the street where the house is located to inform people so they can be more considerate when they pass through the street.
But we do not normally put them outside mosques. And I have never seen any flags outside any mosque that signify anything.
In Malaysia, we put a white flag in front of our house, so everyone would know that a Muslim just died in the house.

north_malaysian
07-22-2010, 06:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I was baffled I have never seen a flag of any type at a Masjid. Is.
Most Malaysian mosques have three flags in front of those mosque...

1) Malaysian flag
2) State flag
3) so called "Islamic flag" (Green flag with white crescent and white star)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!