/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ~ Muslim Women and Work ~

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum . . .

Ok i have Q thats been bothering me for a while. . .

Are women required to have a job in Islaam? Like even before theyre marrie?
Can someone provide hadeeth or Quranic Ref (as im not so knowledgable on this topic) on what the Prophet (saw) daughter did for a living? Did she work?
I know that the Prophets (saw) Wife Khadija (ra) worked but worked from her home.
What jobs did the rest of the wives of the Prophet (saw) have? or what they did for a living? Im sure they didnt sit at home all day and cook etc.

I dont understand how these days women also need degrees esp Muslim Women, even in muslim households women are told to have a degree etc but correct me if am wrong there.
I thought the Man was the provider of his home and family. So whats the role of a Women in Islaam for those who dont have a Job? And is it necessary for women to work? What should a Muslim Women do for a living? Sorry if sound silly or ignorant just a Q i needed to ask.

Jazakallahu khaayr

Wa Alaaykum Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Bump! *Bumps into herself*
*Sorry* :(

Asiyah3
06-20-2010, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
Aslaamu`Alaaykum . . .
I dont understand how these days women also need degrees esp Muslim Women, even in muslim households women are told to have a degree etc but correct me if am wrong there.
:wa: wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

I think brother Muraad explained this comprehensively in the Marriage thread.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
The parents want their daughters to complete their degrees because they see it as a lifeline for her if the marriage should not work out. Meaning that, if they divorce then the girl has her education to fall back on to support herself. And I think it's a very valid concern that has truth to it seeing how high of a divorce rate our communities have. At the same time though, I think it's not smart for them to wait around until past their mid-twenties for the sake of education. That actually turns off guys because they feel that the girl is too educated for them whilst they only have a bachelors and have worked to save up money to get married etc. I think it requires a balance.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Jazakallahu Khaayr. .

But if like the environments are Haraam, and its not importan for women to work. . .
Parents want their daughters to have a good future as in its for their own benefit etc , but what are the parents missing out? SubhaanAllaah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
06-20-2010, 02:49 PM
:sl:
^i don't think its right to judge parents. maybe they want their daughter to work for her own safety and/or someone to look after them in their old age.

looking at the domestic violence statistics in our societies past and present, do you think its wise to prevent women from working?

why do people complain about women working and not complain about the reason as to what has lead them to it. its not always a case of "rebellion" "feminism" "brainwashed modern muslimahs"

where was everyone complaining when you saw your aunties, and your sisters and the women of your village/tribe/town being dishonored by their husbands? why wasn't anyone willing to complain then? you have some brothers complaining about women working and yet do they even try stop this humiliation?

perhaps when we don't need females dr's and midwives, teachers, etc...

perhaps when our society changes and men (referring to those who dont) start honoring their wives (and no humiliating her and beating her doesn't count)

perhaps when we boycott forced marriages where alot of the time (i believe) abuse may stem from

perhaps when husbands get off their backsides, have a bit of self-respect and honor and start earning a living and not force their wives to act like the man and the woman of the house

perhaps when husbands get off their backsides, and start earning a living and providing for their own families instead of getting their wives to slave for them and taking her wealth to build some house for some people in some unknown village in some unknown corner of the earth.

perhaps then we will give up working.

sometimes its actually the mans fault that the wife work because some men want their wives to work so that they can provide for their (the mans) family. i don't see anyone complaining about this.

Masuma
06-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Asalamu Alikum Wr Wb!

Beloved sis, I got these two; one video and one article regarding the topic.

The video is in Urdu but you can understand it, no? :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNz2nIjh8Gk

Women on Job:

A women in Islam, if she wishes to work she can work - There is no text in the Qur’an or the authentic Hadith which prevents or makes it prohibited for a woman to do any work, as long as it is not unlawful, as long as it is within the preview of the Islamic Shariah, as long as she maintains her Islamic dress code.
But natural, she cannot take up jobs, which exhibit her beauty and body - Like for example, modeling and film acting, and such kind of jobs.
Many of the professions and jobs which are prohibited for the woman are also prohibited for the man, for example serving alcohol, working in gambling dens, doing any unethical or dishonest business. All these jobs are prohibited for both men and women.
A true Islamic society requires women to take up profession such as doctors.
We do require female Gynecologists, we do require female nurses, we do require female teachers.
But, a woman in Islam has got no financial obligations - The financial obligation is laid on the shoulders of the man in the family - Therefore she need not work for her livelihood.
But in genuine cases, where there are financial crisis in which both the ends do not meet, she has the option of working.
Here too, no one can force her to work - She works out of her own, absolute free will.

Financial Security for Women:
A woman in Islam has been given more financial security, as compared to the man.
As I told you earlier, the financial obligation is not put on her shoulder - It is put on the shoulder of the man in the family. It is the duty of the father or the brother, before she is married and the duty of the husband or the son, after she is married to look after her lodging, boarding, clothing and financial aspects of her.

SOURCE: Woman's Rights in Islam

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Jazakallahu Khaayr ukhi much appreciated :)

Snowflake
06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Im sure they didnt sit at home all day and cook etc.
:sl: May Allah bless you my lovely sis. That made me laugh. They didn't have mod cons in those days. All the work was done by hand and it probably took hours just to grind the flour for some chappattis. Then there was sewing, mending clothes and cleaning, tending animals and whatnot. So I can imagine how busy women were kept even if they didn't go out to work.

Anyhow, it's good if a woman has skills/education to fall back on, as looking at the state of some muslim men these days, some of us have to fend for ourselves. Sometimes a woman may need to work to supplement her husband's income. Sometimes, she just wants to work. However, Islam doesn't require a woman to work though. Before she marries, it is her father's/brother's responsibility to look after her needs, and after marriage, her husband's. And it is sadaqa if a father provides for the daughter who finds herself divorced. I think many of us would decline and wouldn't want to be a burden on our parents. The main thing is that there is nothing wrong with working as long as it is in a halal environment. There are many things women can do from home, for instance, sewing, teaching al Quran or other subjects, child-minding, cooking and more.

But when parents expect their daughters to get degrees, they should be careful about what kind of environment they are sending their daughters in. I know for a fact that some parents don't have a clue of their children's work/study environment. I think this was your main concern, and rightly so.

:wa:

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum
Jazakallahu Khaayr sis Scents :) for your reply sis :)

Well lets say there are parents who say its okay to work in a environment with men and women toghether, that nothing will occur between the two genders, like "so whats it going to do you" etc or another e.g."There are women around the world, and they work and theyve not been caused any harm" etc. Is that correct saying? i mean is that then the daughters fault, she should go and find a job and is forced to work in the environment? I know for sure that most jobs here in the Uk have a haram environment and the sister still must work?

And what if the sisters Father is too old to work and has no brother, who is then the provider? or they recieve income+benefits etc.

Sorry if i ask too many Q`s just asking to know InshaAllaah

Peace

Wa Alaaykum Salaam

CosmicPathos
06-20-2010, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
:sl:
^i don't think its right to judge parents. maybe they want their daughter to work for her own safety and/or someone to look after them in their old age.

looking at the domestic violence statistics in our societies past and present, do you think its wise to prevent women from working?

why do people complain about women working and not complain about the reason as to what has lead them to it. its not always a case of "rebellion" "feminism" "brainwashed modern muslimahs"

where was everyone complaining when you saw your aunties, and your sisters and the women of your village/tribe/town being dishonored by their husbands? why wasn't anyone willing to complain then? you have some brothers complaining about women working and yet do they even try stop this humiliation?

perhaps when we don't need females dr's and midwives, teachers, etc...

perhaps when our society changes and men (referring to those who dont) start honoring their wives (and no humiliating her and beating her doesn't count)

perhaps when we boycott forced marriages where alot of the time (i believe) abuse may stem from

perhaps when husbands get off their backsides, have a bit of self-respect and honor and start earning a living and not force their wives to act like the man and the woman of the house

perhaps when husbands get off their backsides, and start earning a living and providing for their own families instead of getting their wives to slave for them and taking her wealth to build some house for some people in some unknown village in some unknown corner of the earth.

perhaps then we will give up working.

sometimes its actually the mans fault that the wife work because some men want their wives to work so that they can provide for their (the mans) family. i don't see anyone complaining about this.
Regarding brainwashed part, more often than not that is the case.

Not that I am against education of women but your argument is flawed and illogical. So if women are educated then they wont be dishonored? So if women get educated,t hey would be immune to dishonor? Lets assume a world where only men are educated and women are all illiterate. IN that world, would men be dishonored by other men or by other women? How does being educated or being able to work prevent someone (whether man or woman) from being dishonored?

"perhaps when husband get off their backsides." Not sure how many husbands do that. So what about husbands who DONT sit on their backsides, do their wives NOT want to work?

So if its men's fault to make women work, isnt it women's fault to give into man's fault and actually work, especially if somehow its proven Islam forbids it? Either way, woman seems to be obeying his "man."

your arguments really seem to be emotional outburst. Sorry.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-21-2010, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
Regarding brainwashed part, more often than not that is the case.
thus the words "its not always the case"

Not that I am against education of women but your argument is flawed and illogical. So if women are educated then they wont be dishonored? So if women get educated,t hey would be immune to dishonor? Lets assume a world where only men are educated and women are all illiterate. IN that world, would men be dishonored by other men or by other women? How does being educated or being able to work prevent someone (whether man or woman) from being dishonored?
that's not the point and i don't recall denying that. the point was to illustrate that that could be a motivation/reason/explan as to why women work.

"perhaps when husband get off their backsides." Not sure how many husbands do that. So what about husbands who DONT sit on their backsides, do their wives NOT want to work?
see above and read the rest of that sentence.

So if its men's fault to make women work, isnt it women's fault to give into man's fault and actually work, especially if somehow its proven Islam forbids it? Either way, woman seems to be obeying his "man."
that's irrelevant as again i was using it as a point to illustrate the reason why women work and i didn't say it was right.

and yes, women should learn how to stand up for themselves. im glad that a male is willing to point that out.

your arguments really seem to be emotional outburst. Sorry.
you'd be right. but that doesn't none-the-less render my points invalid.

--------
and adding to the list, you know what else should be complained about? husbands who make their wives work/study whilst she has kids. i don't see anyone complaining about men like this.

cat eyes
06-21-2010, 01:53 AM
its good for muslimah to have degree i think.. its something to fall back on if the husband is not earning enough however i think its RIDICULOUS how some men when looking for a wife they make it a requirement for the sister to have a degree as if she is the one thats going to be providing for the whole family. i think this says a lot and women should think twice about marrying this type of man because he could turn around and say ''well honey you have the degree, you can get job quicker then me, so go out and work instead''

lol this is what you should be afraid of. a lot of women don't want to work but they only get degree in case they might divorce so she needs some income to support herself and this is vital.

جوري
06-21-2010, 01:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
Jazakallahu Khaayr. .

But if like the environments are Haraam, and its not importan for women to work. . .
Parents want their daughters to have a good future as in its for their own benefit etc , but what are the parents missing out? SubhaanAllaah
fifty percent of the population are women and if all women had that mind set, then surely who would cater to those women who are Muslim other than kuffar or men? something to think about..
when you don't have a female gynecologist, you'll have to go to a Muslim male or a kaffir doctor..
if Muslim women don't design clothes, then you'll have to buy inappropriate clothes from the mall or put money into kaffir hands.
if Muslim women don't teach, then your daughters will not get an education, or get an education at the hands of kaffirs who can teach them whatever..
apply that to every craft insha'Allah, and you'll see why it is almost your duty to be a beneficial member of your ummah..

:w:

Khawar
06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
The basic work of Muslim women is to work at home that is to care children household other responsibilities and teach the young generation the preaching of Islam not to work the task which a man can do at Offices

Rhubarb Tart
06-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Why do people have a problem with women working?

S<Chowdhury
06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
Why do people have a problem with women working?
Personally there isn't nothing wrong with woman working as long as the home doesn't suffer and.....

It is permissible for a woman to go out of her house for work, but that is subject to certain conditions. If they are met, it is permissible for her to go out. They are:

- That she needs to work in order to acquire the money she needs, as in your case.

- The work should be suited to the nature of woman, such as medicine, nursing, teaching, sewing, and so on.

- The work should be in a place that is only for women, and there should be no mixing with non-mahram men.

- Whilst at work she should observe complete shar’i hijab.

- Her work should not lead to her travelling without a mahram.

- Her going out to work should not involve committing any haraam action, such as being alone with the driver, or wearing perfume where non-mahrams can smell it.

- That should not lead to her neglecting things that are more essential for her, such as looking after her house, husband and children.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen said: The field in which a woman works should be only for women, such as if she works in teaching girls, whether in administration or technical support, or she works at home as a seamstress sewing clothes for women and so on. As for working in fields that are for men, this is not permissible for her because it requires her to mix with men, which is a great fitnah (source of temptation and trouble) and should be avoided. It should be noted that it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I have not left behind me any fitnah that is more harmful to men than women; the fitnah of the Children of Israel had to do with women.” So the man should keep his family away from places of fitnah and its causes in all circumstances. End quote.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah (2/981)

If these conditions are met in your work, then there is nothing wrong with you doing it in sha Allaah.

We ask Allaah to grant you a righteous husband, for He is able to do that.

And Allaah knows best.
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/106815/woman%20working

Rhubarb Tart
06-21-2010, 12:24 PM
as-salam alaykum

But is it permissible for men to mix with women? Last time I checked men where the ones that had weaknesses.

So it allowed for men to work in environment where they have to mix with women?
Oh i understand those rules but I just wanted to know why Muslims had a problem with women working in halal environment?

S<Chowdhury
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
as-salam alaykum

But is it permissible for men to mix with women? Last time I checked men where the ones that had weaknesses.

So it allowed for men to work in environment where they have to mix with women?
Oh i understand those rules but I just wanted to know why Muslims had a problem with women working in halal environment?

Salaam Sister,

Men are the weak ones well i never :p hopefully this clears up any confusion that men are exempt from free mixing.....

Praise be to Allaah.
Mixing between men and women in the workplace has obvious bad effects on both men and women. These include the following:

1 – Haraam looks. Allaah has commanded the believers, men and women, to lower their gaze. Allaah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allaah is All‑Aware of what they do.

31. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent”
[al-Noor 24:30, 31]

In Saheeh Muslim (2159) it is narrated that Jareer ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about an accidental glance and he told me to avert my gaze.

2 – There may be haraam touching, which includes shaking hands. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “For one of you to be struck in the head with an iron needle would be better for him than touching a woman who is not permissible for him.” Narrated by al-Tabaraani from the hadeeth of Ma’qil ibn Yasaar; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 5045.

3 – Mixing may lead to a man being alone with a woman who is not his mahram, which is haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man is alone with a woman but the Shaytaan is the third one present.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2165; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

According to another report: “Whoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day, let him not be alone with a woman who does not have a mahram with her, for the third one present will be the Shaytaan.” Narrated by Ahmad and classed as saheeh by al-Haakim, and al-Dhahabi agreed with him. Also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Ghaayat al-Maraam, 180.

4 – Another of its evil results is that a man may become attracted to and infatuated with a woman, or vice versa, which is as a result of mixing and lengthy interaction.

5 – It also results in destruction of families. How many men have neglected their homes and families because of being attracted to a colleague at school or at work. How many women have neglected their husbands and homes, for the same reason. How many cases of divorce have occurred because of haraam relationships engaged in by the husband or wife, where mixing at work was the thing that led to it.

For these and other reasons, Islam forbids mixing that can lead to these evil consequences. We have quoted the evidence for the prohibition on mixing in detail in the answer to question no. 1200.

Based on this, our advice to you is to leave this mixed workplace and look for another job where you will be free from these haraam things. You should also be certain that whoever gives up something for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him with something better than it, and whoever fears Allaah, Allaah will grant him a way out from every difficulty.

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

3. And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine”

[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

If you have to stay in this job, then fear Allaah and lower your gaze and do not look at women. Avoid shaking hands with them or being alone with them, ands remember that Allaah is always watching. Remember that He knows what is secret and what is yet more hidden, and He “knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the hearts conceal” [Ghaafir 40:19].

May Allaah guide us to fear Him, and to remain chaste and independent of means.

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/50398/fasting
Mixing between men and women : http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/1200

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-21-2010, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
fifty percent of the population are women and if all women had that mind set, then surely who would cater to those women who are Muslim other than kuffar or men? something to think about..
when you don't have a female gynecologist, you'll have to go to a Muslim male or a kaffir doctor..
if Muslim women don't design clothes, then you'll have to buy inappropriate clothes from the mall or put money into kaffir hands.
if Muslim women don't teach, then your daughters will not get an education, or get an education at the hands of kaffirs who can teach them whatever..
apply that to every craft insha'Allah, and you'll see why it is almost your duty to be a beneficial member of your ummah..

:w:
I agree sis , but the environment must be safe also(ofcourse) InshaAllaah :) Jazakallahu khaayr sis

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-21-2010, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
Personally there isn't nothing wrong with woman working as long as the home doesn't suffer and.....
Jazakallahu Khaayr for that article/book.

Rhubarb Tart
06-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Okay men are not allowed to work with women so why has some people not just in this forum and others think women should not work because they will mix with men when the same rule applies to men?

I also hate the fact that some muslims feel the need to look down upon who chooses to work. :hmm: that is just sad. I also read some that in islamic society, women would not a get a job because a man needs it first regardless if he is qualified for the job.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!