/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a name that comes from Shirk and enemies of Islam

Samiun
06-26-2010, 12:19 PM
:sl: brothers and sisters, I have a strange idea that using a username that is based on shirk and enemies is something sinful. Since I do not have any proof I would like someone to present their opinion on this matter. Like for instance using a name of Zeus, we all know that he's not god of thunder but come on, people worship this guy! Could anyone give an opinion please thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Templar
06-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Hmmm.. can you clarify what sin you think may be being committed?

Samiun
06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
I had a feeling that it was a sin, I'm not really saying it's a sin because Allahualam. I was just asking an opinion of a Muslim about this matter.

Templar
06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabiel
I had a feeling that it was a sin, I'm not really saying it's a sin because Allahualam. I was just asking an opinion of a Muslim about this matter.
I understand.
It's, to me at any rate, not obviously a sin in itself. If it was, both you and me (especially me) would've come across something about it either here or on other Muslim forums.
I suppose it may depend very much upon intention.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
06-29-2010, 10:27 AM
take a look at this link for more information.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1692/name

What I understood:
1) it's forbidden to take names containing shirk or kufr in their meaning, or names that can only be attributed to Allah (Al Jabbar, Al Rahman, etc)
2) it's makrooh (not recommended) to take names of foreigners or kuffar even if their meaning does not contain shirk or kufr.

Templar
06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Well. There you go.
I've probably not seen anything about it because the vast majority of Muslims wouldn't dream of giving or taking the type of name that has been forbidden. Even if such action wasn't forbidden.
There was a long time when nearly all European names were deliberately Christian in origin. Not hard, as canonization Christianises one's name. Most still are, I think, but it's arguable that that's down to the fact of the tradition rather than the fact of the origin.
Thanks for that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!