/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How Powerful is Allah?

Muslimeen
06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I often ponder over the power of Allah Swt. It seems so immense that I can't seem to comprehend it. The fault is not in the power of Allah but rather my comprehension.

I have heard a few narrations of the power of Allah but not many. I am intriqued by this power and how is it that I still choose to violate the orders of such a supreme and powerful being. I would appreciate it if you could share some authentic narrations of the power of allah, preferably from Quran or Ahadith of Rasulullah Sallalahu Allaihi Wassallam.

I also intend doing some research of my own and if I come across anything valuable I will insha allah post it for the benefit of everyone.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
06-29-2010, 01:52 PM
One of the names of Allah is : (Al-Qawii) القوي
This name is in a form of superlative : The Most Powerful = The One having absolute Power. We can't imagine the power of Allah because it's unlimited. Our mind cannot conceptualize unlimited values. Every example of power in our mind is not close to the infinite power of Allah.

Muslimeen
06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
I once heard a narration about the power of Allah, it had to do with the rebellion of all of Allah's creation against him.

I am not sure who the question was posed by, I think it was one of the prophets but stand to be corrected.

The question posed to Allah was what would he do if all his creation i.e Man, Jinn and the entire animal kingdom etc, were to rebel against. Allah's reply was that he has seven fields and in each one there are many animals which graze. The size of the smallest field is larger than the entire universe. The first field in comparison to the second one is like a coin in the middle of say a football ground. The size of the second field in comparison to the third is like a coin in the middle of a football ground the size of the third, fourth and fifth continue in this fashion. The reply Allah gives is that he would command Just one of these animals to swallow the entire world and everything it contains in just one gulp.

I am really amazed by this story and would love to learn more. It is a pure indication of the might and power of Allah. It is mind boggling yet the masses choose to be an open enemy of Allah. How can anyone or anything succeed against such might and grandeur??

Muslimeen
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I am also interested in narrations of how Allah destroyed rebellious people of the past, it also gives an indication of the power Allah and how helpless we as human beings are against Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
06-29-2010, 03:20 PM
just think of the vastness of His creation, think about space and all the huge stars and planets

theres a hadith about the size of Allah's throne:

Waki` narrated in his Tafsir that Ibn `Abbas said, "Kursi is the footstool, and no one is able to give due consideration to ﴿Allah's﴾ Throne.'' Al-Hakim recorded this Hadith in his Mustadrak from Ibn `Abbas, who did not relate it to the Prophet . Al-Hakim said, "It is Sahih according to the criteria of the Two Sahihs, and they (Al-Bukhari and Muslim) did not record it.'' In addition, Ad-Dahhak said that Ibn `Abbas said, "If the seven heavens and the seven earths were flattened and laid side by side, they would add up to the size of a ring in a desert, compared to the Kursi.''

Woodrow
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
It would be much easier for a toadstool to understand the power of a human than it is for a human to comprhend the power of Allaah(swt). This is an impossible thought and beyond the capability of a mortal human. A moot thought which we do not have the ability to understand.

glo
06-29-2010, 03:54 PM
I agree that our human mind is beyond fully comprehending the power and glory of God.
We will only be able to understand when we leave this earthly life.

I think this verse sums it up quite well:

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully.

Masuma
06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Asalamu Alikum Wr Wb dear brother,

I'm only telling you how I realized and can still feel the power of Allah. I watch space documentaries. May be that would help you too. :-\

And I think this verse of the Quran sums it all up. (but the thing is that one should try to read as many interpretations of the verses as possible to get various ideas of what the verses says)

Allah! There is no god but He, the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede in His presence except as He permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of His knowledge except as He willeth. His Throne doth extend over the heavens and the earth, and He feeleth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory).
:wub:

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully.
Sister I think that in the after life, only some of the lucky believers would be able to see Allah, though I'm not sure.

Allah knows best!

Snowflake
06-29-2010, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It would be much easier for a toadstool to understand the power of a human than it is for a human to comprhend the power of Allaah(swt). This is an impossible thought and beyond the capability of a mortal human. A moot thought which we do not have the ability to understand.
MashaAllah! Well said uncle Woodrow.

glo
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by An33za
Sister I think that in the after life, only some of the lucky believers would be able to see Allah, though I'm not sure.

Allah knows best!
That's interesting.

Christians indeed believe that in the afterlife we will see God face-to-face.
Does Islam teach something different?

Masuma
06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
That's interesting.

Christians indeed believe that in the afterlife we will see God face-to-face.
Does Islam teach something different?
Actually the thing is that sister I myself don't know!;D (annn....no need to be laugh at it imsad)

I think I read it somewhere in Quran or maybe heard it somewhere. Maybe scholar brothers here would clarify? :statisfie

syed_z
06-29-2010, 10:07 PM
La Hawla Wala Quwata Illah Billah...There is No Might or Power Except Allah

Many Authentic traditions and the Quran itself speaks about being No other Power than Allah (swt) Himself... It is ONLY His power that is in the Heavens and the Earth... Us and the whole creation in the Universe has power given to Us by Him....

And it is therefore Allah (swt) says....

But you will not will unless Allah wills. Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise. (Qur'an, 76:30)

Its scientifically proven that Allah (swt) has let us have our Free Will to make our choices to do good or bad....But it is ONLY Allah (swt) giving us permission is why we are able to do whatever we wish.. like most of our actions.... if Allah (Swt) had not willed we would not be able to do ANYthing i.e Good or Bad.

So again if i Will to do something, it is only If Allah (Swt) wills it 1st, ONLY then i may continue with that something...

It has also been scientifically proven now...

In 1973, Professor Benjamin Libet, a neurophysiologist at the University of California, revealed that all our decisions and choices are set out beforehand.

He conducted an experiment in which he let the subject move their fingers and hands, while he kept their brain under observation. He came to the conclusion that, every time the Subject moved their fingers, a number of brain cells went in to actions BEFORE the subject moved its fingers. For example the Command "do" went before the Subject did their movement. It is like some one ELSE controlling.

Also it is scientifically proven that our Brain acts before all movement of our Body. The brain is The Head Office from where the command to do any action, like movement of our body, initiates 1st. The Cells act inside our brain and the nerves in our brain are stretching from the brain and connecting to other parts of our body, therefore getting commands from our brain. So that is why we can understand, why we Always THINK before doing ANYTHING or any ACTION!

So this Professor after conducting the above experiment came to the conclusion that all our actions are in other words predetermined. The decision to move a muscle takes place before that decision reaches the consciousness. There is always a delay between a neurological or perceptual process and our becoming aware of the thought, feeling, perception or movement it represents. To put it another way, we can only be aware of a decision after that decision has been taken.

So there has to Be Some ONE who Controls us ? :)

(112:1).."He is Allah, the One the Unique"

There is NO Other Might or Power in the Heavens and the Earth Except Allah (Swt)...and so We cannot Will Unless It is His Will...

syed_z
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
btw forgot to mention ...Jazak Allah for the Discussion Brothers and Sisters... :)

syed_z
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Salaam Sister/brother Glo...

Yes we will be able to see Allah (Swt) on the Day of Judgment... and it is recorded in Traditions...

Narrated 'Ata' bin Yazid Al-Laithi On the authority of Abu Huraira: The people said, "O Allah's Apostle! Shall we see our Lord on the Day of Resurrection?" The Prophet said, "Do you have any difficulty in seeing the moon on a full moon night?" They said, "No, O Allah's Apostle." He said, "Do you have any difficulty in seeing the sun when there are no clouds?" They said, "No, O Allah's Apostle." He said, "So you will see Him, like that... (Sahih Bukhari Volume 9, Book 93, Number 532)

BUT... One thing should be clear before we can understand the Above mentioned Hadith...

An event recorded in the Quran, Where Musa (a.s) went to a Mountain and Asked Allah (swt) to reveal Himself... its mentioned in...Surah Al Araaf Verses 143...

(7:143) And when Moses came at Our appointment, and his Lord spoke to him, he said: 'O my Lord! Reveal Yourself to me, that I may look upon You!' He replied: 'Never can you see Me. However, behold this mount; if it remains firm in its place, only then you will be able to see Me.' And as soon as his Lord unveiled His glory to the mount, He crushed it into fine dust, and Moses fell down in a swoon. And when he recovered, he said: 'Glory be to You! To You I turn in repentance, and I am the foremost among those who believe.'

So during this event Moses (a.s) wanted to see Allah (swt) with his External Physical Eye Sight which all of us have... BUT Allah (Swt) cannot be perceived using such Sight... As He (swt) Himself says...

(6:103) No Human vision can encompass Him, whereas He encompasses all human vision; for He alone is Unfathomable, All- Aware!

The using of our External Pair of Eye sight, to see Allah (Swt) might Lead to the Annihilation of the Creation ... and it is exactly because of that when the Tajalli (Glory) of Allah (Swt) was bestowed on the Mountain , it turned in to DUST!.. so it is that Reason why Allah (Swt) Hides Himself behind the Veils of His Creation, i.e The Universe and everything in it...

But then Muhammad (saw) said in the Hadith that we would be able to see Him ... and so How would that be...

and so the Only way i think we would be able to see Our Lord, which i hope we do , as May Allah (swt) forgive us for our sins, as He will turn His Majestic and benevolent Face away from those wrongdooers, and so I pray May Allah protect us from being one of the Wrong Dooers....

So.. the Only way we will see Him, is if We are changed in to another creation, different from the Physical one we are in... and so Allah (Swt) mentions...

(29:20) Say: “Go about the earth and see how He created for the first time, and then Allah will recreate life.” Surely, Allah has power over everything.

this and many other Verses of Quran which talk about being created in a new form....so the Recreation part, could mean may be we might be transformed in to such a State, that might be different from the Physical State we are in, and so then it would be made easy for us to See Our Lord..... and Allah (swt) knows best...

Salahudeen
06-30-2010, 12:11 AM
The hadith that comes to mind is "O my servants, if every single one of you, including mankind and jinn were to stand infront of me and ask me for all that you desire, it would not diminish my kingdom, except like a dip in the ocean"

Muslimeen
06-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Allah is al-Aziz (The Mighty)
By Sheikh Salman al-Oadah

The name al-`Azīz appears seventy-two times in the Qur’ān, usually in conjunction with other names of Allah.

For example: “the Mighty, the Wize” [Sūrah al-Baqarah: 129] “the Mighty, the All-Knowing” [Sūrah al-An`ām: 96] “the Mighty, the Lord of Retribution” [Sūrah Āl `Imrān: 96] “the Mighty, the Forgiving” [Sūrah Fātir: 28] “the Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving” [Sūrah Sād: 66] “the Mighty, the Praiseworthy” [Sūrah Ibrāhīm: 1]

The same pattern of linking the name al-`Azīz with other names can be found in numerous hādith.

Allah is the possessor of strength who faces no incapacity. Nothing can overpower Him or harm Him. The Prophet (peace be upon him) relates that Allah says: “None of you has the power to bring me any harm or benefit.” [Sahīh Muslim (2577)]

The name al-`Azīz (the Mighty) is most often coupled with the name al-Hakīm (the Wize). This teaches us that Allah’s might is not like the might of mortal beings who abuse their power, misallocate the resources they control, and oppress those who are subject to them.

We also find the name al-`Azīz linked with al-Rahīm (the Merciful), which teaches us that in spite of the fact that Allah has such power over us, he withholds His wrath, grants us respite so we can make amends, and does not hasten to punish.

The name al-`Azīz often comes lined with al-`Alīm (the All-Knowing) to convey the idea of the precision and detail in His works and His proficiency.

It also comes linked with the name al-Hamīd (the Praiseworthy), conveying to us that Allah is worthy of praise in the laws he prescribes for us and the decrees he ordains for us.

Allah’s might transcends and surpasses all might and power. None can aspire to it. Allah says: “All might belongs to Allah.” [Sūrah Yūnus: 65]

Rather, all might and power that created beings possess is bestowed on them by Him. He gives might in this world to whom he pleases.

“They say: ’If we return to the city, the mighty will surely drive out the weaker therefrom.’ Nay, to Allah belongs all might, and to His Messenger and to the believers.” [Sūrah al-Munāfiqīn: 8]

Whoever aspires to be mighty – whether it be through wealth, lineage, prestige, health, worldly success, or through the attainment of the Hereafter – they should seek it from the true Possessor of Might, the invincible one who is the source of strength and support for all who rely on Him. Whoever seeks out Allah to be their refuge and appeals to Him to fulfill their needs and give them strength, they will find Him to be the Mighty one who grants their requests, safeguard their dignity, and preserve their status. There is no indignity in begging from Allah, whereas begging from others is a shameful act, whether the beggar receives anything or not.

Whoever takes Allah as their source of strength will enjoy strength and might for themselves, though their bodies may be weak, their connections without influence, and their possessions few.

The best way to attain might that is free from all ignominy is to be humble and forgiving to other people, willing to pardon their abuses and infringements upon your rights. Abū Hurayrah relates that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Giving in charity never reduced a person’s wealth. Allah makes mighty those who pardon others. Allah raises in status those who show humility.

Finally, by being attentive to the Qur’an by reading it, understanding it, pondering its message, and living according to its dictates, a person can aspire to might and honor. Indeed, the Qur’an is described as al-`Azīz: “Indeed, it is a mighty Book.” [Sūrah Fussilat: 41]

syed_z
06-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Asalaam O Alaikum....

Well im sorry, but i have to reply over here, because since I AM NOT A Full Member ... i am having many difficulties, sending messages or replying back to any... so i thought i should just say here...

Sister An33za... May Allah (swt) Keep You Very Very Close to Him (swt)... and may He Give You the Best Place in Jannah... He is able to do All Things...:)

and sister, you don't know whether Who is More Valuable in the Sight of Allah (swt)... it could also be that You are more Valuable in the sight of Your Lord and not the one whom you think is ... :)

And Sister Glo ... Thanks for taking the time to read...

sz1
02-26-2020, 03:31 PM
This is indeed laughable, as no one can go against Allah SWT, unless Allah SWT wills it. So if anyone were to go against Allah SWT, it is because Allah SWT willed him/her/it to do so in the first instance (& this includes Iblis), and hence the said creation (by going against the laws/rules enforced by Allah SWT) is actually still bound by the absolute power of Allah SWT, being a creation of Allah SWT. Such is the nature of the absolute might of Allah SWT, while the afore-mentioned creation (who has violated the rules of Allah SWT) is still liable for its actions (being granted the choice of good/evil), which is why the disobedient creatures of Allah SWT are punishable by Hell.

sz1
02-26-2020, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed_z
Salaam Sister/brother Glo...

Yes we will be able to see Allah (Swt) on the Day of Judgment... and it is recorded in Traditions...

Narrated 'Ata' bin Yazid Al-Laithi On the authority of Abu Huraira: The people said, "O Allah's Apostle! Shall we see our Lord on the Day of Resurrection?" The Prophet said, "Do you have any difficulty in seeing the moon on a full moon night?" They said, "No, O Allah's Apostle." He said, "Do you have any difficulty in seeing the sun when there are no clouds?" They said, "No, O Allah's Apostle." He said, "So you will see Him, like that... (Sahih Bukhari Volume 9, Book 93, Number 532)

BUT... One thing should be clear before we can understand the Above mentioned Hadith...

An event recorded in the Quran, Where Musa (a.s) went to a Mountain and Asked Allah (swt) to reveal Himself... its mentioned in...Surah Al Araaf Verses 143...

(7:143) And when Moses came at Our appointment, and his Lord spoke to him, he said: 'O my Lord! Reveal Yourself to me, that I may look upon You!' He replied: 'Never can you see Me. However, behold this mount; if it remains firm in its place, only then you will be able to see Me.' And as soon as his Lord unveiled His glory to the mount, He crushed it into fine dust, and Moses fell down in a swoon. And when he recovered, he said: 'Glory be to You! To You I turn in repentance, and I am the foremost among those who believe.'

So during this event Moses (a.s) wanted to see Allah (swt) with his External Physical Eye Sight which all of us have... BUT Allah (Swt) cannot be perceived using such Sight... As He (swt) Himself says...

(6:103) No Human vision can encompass Him, whereas He encompasses all human vision; for He alone is Unfathomable, All- Aware!

The using of our External Pair of Eye sight, to see Allah (Swt) might Lead to the Annihilation of the Creation ... and it is exactly because of that when the Tajalli (Glory) of Allah (Swt) was bestowed on the Mountain , it turned in to DUST!.. so it is that Reason why Allah (Swt) Hides Himself behind the Veils of His Creation, i.e The Universe and everything in it...

But then Muhammad (saw) said in the Hadith that we would be able to see Him ... and so How would that be...

and so the Only way i think we would be able to see Our Lord, which i hope we do , as May Allah (swt) forgive us for our sins, as He will turn His Majestic and benevolent Face away from those wrongdooers, and so I pray May Allah protect us from being one of the Wrong Dooers....

So.. the Only way we will see Him, is if We are changed in to another creation, different from the Physical one we are in... and so Allah (Swt) mentions...

(29:20) Say: “Go about the earth and see how He created for the first time, and then Allah will recreate life.” Surely, Allah has power over everything.

this and many other Verses of Quran which talk about being created in a new form....so the Recreation part, could mean may be we might be transformed in to such a State, that might be different from the Physical State we are in, and so then it would be made easy for us to See Our Lord..... and Allah (swt) knows best...

You're missing the point that Allah SWT can will you to see Him, in which case you will be able to see Him, but this is a privilege granted to only those who have been accepted into the Grace of Allah SWT.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!