/* */

PDA

View Full Version : when are you going to pay your zakat??

cat eyes
06-29-2010, 11:28 PM

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Imagine if every Muslim in the world just donated £1 even :(

glo
06-30-2010, 06:24 AM
This video made me cry, sister cat eyes.
Thank you for the reminder ...

World poverty is a global problem - it reaches beyond religions, races or nations.

We should lay aside our differences and help eradicate world poverty for all people.

When people are dying of hunger, disease and cold, it doesn't matter which religion they belong to or whether they are male/female, black or white ... their human suffering is the same!

Muslimeen
06-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Insha allah in Ramadaan.
But zakaat is compulsory, insha allah I hope to give in sadaqah. May allah accept from me and the rest of the ummah. Hopefully, if I can remove the misery of another then insha allah Allah will remove me from misery on the day of qiyamah. Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tango92
06-30-2010, 09:06 AM
cmon muslims, ive seen how generously you pour money into the mosque donation sack at jumma when everybody is there. Allah is always watching so give as much in zakat when noone else is watching

cat eyes
06-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Alhamdulilah this thread got 71 views already i want to keep this thread going inshallah :)

cat eyes
06-30-2010, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
This video made me cry, sister cat eyes.
Thank you for the reminder ...

World poverty is a global problem - it reaches beyond religions, races or nations.

We should lay aside our differences and help eradicate world poverty for all people.

When people are dying of hunger, disease and cold, it doesn't matter which religion they belong to or whether they are male/female, black or white ... their human suffering is the same!
Yes your right dear gloimsad

cat eyes
06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
Imagine if every Muslim in the world just donated £1 even :(
yes if half the population gave one pound it would feed over 800 million, it would get rid of poverty

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 10:51 PM
SubhaanAllaah , May Allaah accept from us and forgive us, Ameen

Salahudeen
07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
ameen, I really don't understand why poverty exists when there is so much food :( look at all the food that gets thrown away because it goes out of date or no one buys it.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-01-2010, 09:27 AM
apparently for some christian missionaries it is.

glo
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
apparently for some christian missionaries it is.
If that is the case, then they are very much in the wrong!
Action should be taken against anybody who acts in such a way and neglects to help people just because they don't belong to the 'right group'. It is unethical and immoral!

That reminds me of something else. I understand that zakat is intended to help and further Muslims only.
I find that quite difficult to get my head round, when there are people from other faiths and none, who are also starving and suffering.

Should we not fight WORLD poverty; i.e the poverty of all in need, instead of the poverty of specific people only?

Ummu Sufyaan
07-02-2010, 02:07 AM
That reminds me of something else. I understand that zakat is intended to help and further Muslims only.
in all honesty, im not too versed with the rulings of zakat so i wont comment. however....

I find that quite difficult to get my head round, when there are people from other faiths and none, who are also starving and suffering.
...i feel this is yet another of your snide remarks against islam where you try to appeal to peoples soft sides in attempt to brainwash/emotionally blackmail them and...

Should we not fight WORLD poverty; i.e the poverty of all in need, instead of the poverty of specific people only?
...this is a perfect example of such.

glo
07-02-2010, 07:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
in all honesty, im not too versed with the rulings of zakat so i wont comment.
That's okay. I remembered a thread in which I asked about zakat several months ago.
I have bumped it up now.

...i feel this is yet another of your snide remarks against islam where you try to appeal to peoples soft sides in attempt to brainwash/emotionally blackmail them and...
Ummu Sufyaan, with all due respect, but you continue to read hidden agendas into my posts, which simply aren't there. I'm afraid you are being paranoid.

Anyway, no more about that.
I think it is unfair to derail sister cat eye's thread, in which she reminds us to help the poor and disadvantaged.
Surely we can stand behind her and support that cause? Please??

Ummu Sufyaan
07-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Ummu Sufyaan, with all due respect, but you continue to read hidden agendas into my posts, which simply aren't there. I'm afraid you are being paranoid.
shifting the blame doesn't help your cause either madam. besides isn't it against Christian teachings to lie?

Anyway, no more about that.
indeed, the truth hurts, doesn't it.

I think it is unfair to derail sister cat eye's thread, in which she reminds us to help the poor and disadvantaged.
oh wow wee what a mature stance you take, the nasty villain ummu sufyaan is, stating the obvious.

Surely we can stand behind her and support that cause? Please??
of course. i dont remember implying otherwise.

Ramadhan
07-02-2010, 04:46 PM
If that is the case, then they are very much in the wrong!
Action should be taken against anybody who acts in such a way and neglects to help people just because they don't belong to the 'right group'. It is unethical and immoral!
I totally agree with you.
Therefore, you should write to condemn all churches in Indonesia who only use money they collect from their congregrations for the benefits/interests of christians and the church instead of feeding and clothing many poor hungry muslims in this country and tell them about their obligations (I assume this is an obligation from bible, right?) to help the poor regardless of their religions.
Oh also, could you please tell the missionaries that work actively in Indonesia that withholding food to non-christians poor because they will not convert to christianity is against christian teaching on top of being unethical and immoral?

see above.

Also, in the other thread titled "zakat" it is already explained very thoroughly about zakat and sadaqoh.

see above.

Raziah
07-02-2010, 06:17 PM
When I have money,I hope this happens very soon..

glo
07-02-2010, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Also, in the other thread titled "zakat" it is already explained very thoroughly about zakat and sadaqoh.
I know. The thread 'Zakat' is very helpful.
I only bumped it up again after I had written the post you quoted from. In fact, it was my conversation with Ummu Sufyaan, which prompted me to search for the 'Zakat' thread.

جوري
07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I know. The thread 'Zakat' is very helpful.
I only bumped it up again after I had written the post you quoted from. In fact, it was my conversation with Ummu Sufyaan, which prompted me to search for the 'Zakat' thread.
you haven't addressed the points Br. Naidamar highlighted.. or is 'unethical and immoral' only confined to you very stringent definitions and from which you obviously exempt your churches and religion?

Snowflake
07-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I totally agree with you.
Therefore, you should write to condemn all churches in Indonesia who only use money they collect from their congregrations for the benefits/interests of christians and the church instead of feeding and clothing many poor hungry muslims in this country and tell them about their obligations (I assume this is an obligation from bible, right?) to help the poor regardless of their religions.
Oh also, could you please tell the missionaries that work actively in Indonesia that withholding food to non-christians poor because they will not convert to christianity is against christian teaching on top of being unethical and immoral?

see above.

see above.
Fair is fair. If a Christian is expected to do that, then so should all muslims write to Islamic organisations and tell them the same. Did anyone not see Glo saying those missionaries are wrong if they do that. But does anyone see that? Why are people so intent on focusing on people's mistake's all the time. It's like a freaking alligator pond in here. We need to fix ourselves before fixing others. I don't care what anyone thinks of me saying this. I'll say what is only fair. Every frikkin thread turns into a heap of crap with fingers pointing here and there. Even muslims don't spare each other. I'm sick of it. Everyone is eating each other like hungry animals. Dang!

Correction = almost everyone*

جوري
07-02-2010, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Fair is fair. If a Christian is expected to do that, then so should all muslims write to Islamic organisations and tell them the same. Did anyone not see Glo saying those missionaries are wrong if they do that. But does anyone see that? Why are people so intent on focusing on people's mistake's all the time. It's like a freaking alligator pond in here. We need to fix ourselves before fixing others. I don't care what anyone thinks of me saying this. I'll say what is only fair. Every frikkin thread turns into a heap of crap with fingers pointing here and there. Even muslims don't spare each other. I'm sick of it. Everyone is eating each other like hungry animals. Dang!

Correction = almost everyone*
pointing out a wrong really does very little to help matters any, in as much as the Americans saying they'll move out of Afghanistan or Iraq while bombing entire villages .. in this case saying one thing and intending another doesn't reconcile in fact comes out as hypocrisy and it is actually repeated throughout the entire forum in different colors and forms with a particular purpose in mind.. being nice to other Muslims in such a case can start right here dear sister..
one has no right to question others of their religious practices if their own religion is a poster child for villainy!

:w:

Rhubarb Tart
07-02-2010, 11:58 PM
salam

Isn’t Indonesia a Muslim country? One would think Indonesia would have power to at least assist their own people (Muslims) out of poverty. So if they can’t help their own people, what hopes does a poor non Muslim community in Indonesia have?

Anyways Zakat may be for Muslims only but isn’t to say Muslims cannot give charity to non Muslims. rewards, rewards..

I see no reason why Muslims cannot give charity to non Muslims alongside Zakat...nothing forbids us to do so..

Snowflake
07-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Sis Lily - pointing out a wrong really does very little to help matters any, in as much as the Americans saying they'll move out of Afghanistan or Iraq while bombing entire villages .. in this case saying one thing and intending another doesn't reconcile in fact comes out as hypocrisy and it is actually repeated throughout the entire forum in different colors and forms with a particular purpose in mind..
Only Allah knows what Glo's intention was? Based on the fact she admitted to missionairies being wrong, I don't think she was being snidy after acknowledging that. And even she was, it's not anyone else's loss. It doesn't hurt to give benefit of the doubt, does it?

being nice to other Muslims in such a case can start right here dear sister..
Al hamdulillah, it's not my habit to tear apart fellow muslims over the tiniest disagreement in my discussion with them. There is no nice way to be blunt. Neither does a rare admonishment amount to being not nice, or hypocritical by nature. Personal attacks over disagreements which don't even have anything to do with the person have got worse on the forum. I guess this was the last straw. I ask myself, who needs enemies when we've got each other? My only mistake and regret is not having said what I did in private. And inshaAllah, I've made a mental note to not let that happen again.

one has no right to question others of their religious practices if their own religion is a poster child for villainy
see PM

glo
07-03-2010, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
you haven't addressed the points Br. Naidamar highlighted.. or is 'unethical and immoral' only confined to you very stringent definitions and from which you obviously exempt your churches and religion?
I have addressed naidamar's points, just not publically.

I was trying to keep this thread clear from debate, so I replied to him yesterday via rep.
If it helps, this is what I wrote:

If you can give me definite evidence of such practices and the addresses of the churches/missionaries in question, then I will do just that [write to them a letter of complaint and report them to the appropriate authority]. Please PM me. Salaam
Now, can we go back to the thread which cats eyes intended it to be? And focus on how to help those is need?

And can I ask the mods to consider tidying this thread up a little? Thank you.

Alpha Dude
07-03-2010, 09:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
ameen, I really don't understand why poverty exists when there is so much food :( look at all the food that gets thrown away because it goes out of date or no one buys it.
I came across this today:

How Goldman Sachs Gambled On Starving The World's Poor - and won

By now, you probably think your opinion of Goldman Sachs and its swarm of Wall Street allies has rock-bottomed at raw loathing. You're wrong. There's more. It turns out the most destructive of all their recent acts has barely been discussed at all. Here's the rest. This is the story of how some of the richest people in the world - Goldman, Deutsche Bank, the traders at Merrill Lynch, and more - have caused the starvation of some of the poorest people in the world, just so they could make a fatter profit.

It starts with an apparent mystery. At the end of 2006, food prices across the world started to rise, suddenly and stratospherically. Within a year, the price of wheat had shot up by 80 percent, maize by 90 percent, and rice by 320 percent. In a global jolt of hunger, 200 million people - mostly children - couldn't afford to get food any more, and sank into malnutrition or starvation. There were riots in over 30 countries, and at least one government was violently overthrown. Then, in spring 2008, prices just as mysteriously fell back to their previous level. Jean Ziegler, the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food, called it "a silent mass murder", entirely due to "man-made actions."

Earlier this year I was in Ethiopia, one of the worst-hit countries, and people there remember the food crisis like they were hit by a tsunami. "It was very painful," a woman my age called Abeba Getaneh, told me. "My children stopped growing. I felt like battery acid had been poured into my stomach as I starved. I took my two daughters out of school and got into debt. If it had gone on much longer, I think my baby would have died."

Most of the explanations we were given at the time have turned out to be false. It didn't happen because supply fell: the International Grain Council says global production of wheat actually increased during that period, for example. It isn't because demand grew either. We were told the swelling Chinese and Indian middle classes were pushing it up, but as Professor Jayati Ghosh of the Centre for Economic Studies in New Delhi has shown, demand from those countries for them actually fell by 3 percent over this period.

There are some smaller explanations that account for some of the price rise, but not all. It's true the growing demand for biofuels was gobbling up much-needed agricultural land - but that was a gradual process that wouldn't explain a violent spike. It's true that oil prices increased, driving up the cost of growing and distributing food - but the evidence increasingly shows that wasn't the biggest factor.

To understand the biggest cause, you have to plough through some concepts that will make your head ache - but not half as much as they made the poor world's stomachs ache.

For over a century, farmers in wealthy countries have been able to engage in a process where they protect themselves against risk. Farmer Giles can agree in January to sell his crop to a trader in August at a fixed price. If he has a great summer and the global price is high, he'll lose some cash, but if there's a lousy summer or the price collapses, he'll do well from the deal. When this process was tightly regulated and only companies with a direct interest in the field could get involved, it worked well.

Then, through the 1990s, Goldman Sachs and others lobbied hard and the regulations were abolished. Suddenly, these contracts were turned into 'derivatives' that could be bought and sold among traders who had nothing to do with agriculture. A market in "food speculation" was born.

So Farmer Giles still agrees to sell his crop in advance to a trader for £10,000. But now, that contract can be sold on to financial speculators, who treat the contract itself as an object of potential wealth. Goldman Sachs can buy it and sell it on for £20,000 to Deutschebank, who sell it on for £30,000 to Merryl Lynch - and on, and on, provided they think the price can be jacked up, until it seems to bear almost no relationship to Farmer Giles' crop at all.

If this seems mystifying, it is. John Lanchester, in his superb guide to the world of finance, 'Whoops! Why Everybody Owes Everyone and No One Can Pay', explains: "Finance, like other forms of human behaviour, underwent a change in the twentieth century, a shift equivalent to the emergence of modernism in the arts - a break with common sense, a turn towards self-referentiality and abstraction and notions that couldn't be explained in workaday English."

Poetry found its break broke with straightforward representation of reality when T.S. Eliot wrote 'The Wasteland.' Finance found its Wasteland moment in the 1970s, when it began to be dominated by complex financial instruments that even the people selling them didn't fully understand. As Lanchester puts it: "With derivatives... there is a profound break between the language of finance and that of common sense."

So what has this got to do with the bread on Abiba's plate? How could this parallel universe of speculation affect her? Until deregulation, the price for food was set by the forces of supply and demand for food itself. (This was itself deeply imperfect: it left a billion people hungry.) But after deregulation, it was no longer just a market in food. It became, at the same time, a market in contracts that were speculating on theoretical food that would be grown in the future - and the speculators drove the price through the roof.

Here's how it happened. In 2006, financial speculators like Goldman's pulled out of the collapsing US real estate market, and they were looking for somewhere else to make their stash of cash swell. They started to buy massive amounts of derivatives based on food: they reckoned that food prices would stay steady or rise while the rest of the economy tanked. Suddenly, the world's frightened investors stampeded onto this ground and decided to buy, buy, buy.

So while the supply and demand of food stayed pretty much the same, the supply and demand for contracts based on food massively rose - which meant the all-rolled-into-one price for food on people's plates massively rose. The starvation began.

The food price was now being set by speculation, rather than by real food. The hedge fund manager Michael Masters estimated that even on the regulated exchanges in the US - which take up a small part of the business - 64 percent of all wheat contracts were held by speculators with no interest whatever in real wheat. They owned it solely to inflate the price and sell it on. Even George Soros said this was "just like secretly hoarding food during a hunger crisis in order to make profits from increasing prices." The bubble only burst in March 2008 when the situation got so bad in the US that the speculators had to slash their spending to cover their losses back home.

When I asked them to comment on the charge of causing mass hunger, Merrill Lynch's spokesman said: "Huh. I didn't know about that." He later emailed to say: "I am going to decline comment." Deutsche Bank also refused to comment. Goldman Sachs were a little more detailed in their response: they said "serious analyses... have concluded index funds did not cause a bubble in commodity futures prices", offering as evidence a single statement by the OECD.

How do we know this is wrong? As Professor Ghosh points out, some vital crops are not traded on the futures markets, including millet, cassava, and potatoes. Their price rose a little during this period - but only a fraction as much as the ones affected by speculation. Her research shows this speculation was "the main cause" of the rise.

So it has come to this. The world's wealthiest speculators set up a casino where the chips were the stomachs of hundreds of millions of innocent people. They gambled on increasing starvation, and won. This is what happens when you follow the claim that unregulated markets know best to the end of the line. The finance sector's Wasteland moment created a real wasteland. What does it say about our political and economic system that we can so casually inflict such misery, and barely even notice?

If we don't re-regulate, it is only a matter of time before this all happens again. How long would it last then? How many people would it kill next time? The moves to restore the pre-1990s rules on commodities trading have been stunningly sluggish. In the US, the House has passed some regulation, but there are fears the Senate - drenched in speculator-donations - may dilute it into meaninglessness. The EU is lagging far behind even this, while in Britain, where most of this "trade" takes place, advocacy groups are worried David Cameron's government will block reform entirely to please his own friends and donors in the City.

Only one force can stop another speculation-starvation-bubble from swelling, probably soon. The decent people in developed countries need to shout louder than the lobbyists from Goldman Sachs. In the UK, the World Development Movement is launching a week of action this summer as crucial decisions on this are taken: text WDM to 82055 for your marching orders. In the US, click here to find out what you can do. The last time I spoke to her, Abiba said: "We can't go through that another time. Please - do anything you can to make sure they never, never do that to us again."

جوري
07-03-2010, 01:09 PM
pls. remove..

:w:

ardianto
07-03-2010, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
salam

Isn’t Indonesia a Muslim country? One would think Indonesia would have power to at least assist their own people (Muslims) out of poverty. So if they can’t help their own people, what hopes does a poor non Muslim community in Indonesia have?
:sl:

Muslims in Indonesia are shared into two categories.
1) Sholeeh Muslims (religious Muslims)
2) KTP (ID Card) Muslims. It's means people who are Muslims in their ID cards religion column, but actually they are secularists.

Of course, we cannot expect those "KTP Muslims" will pay zakat or give sadaqah. Many of them are people who easy to spend their money in buying consumptive goods while let their poor neighbors are living in poverty.

Rhubarb Tart
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Muslims in Indonesia are shared into two categories.
1) Sholeeh Muslims (religious Muslims)
2) KTP (ID Card) Muslims. It's means people who are Muslims in their ID cards religion column, but actually they are secularists.

Of course, we cannot expect those "KTP Muslims" will pay zakat or give sadaqah. Many of them are people who easy to spend their money in buying consumptive goods while let their poor neighbors are living in poverty.
ow! I did not know this, shame on those people! Cant the government make sure they pay? Indonesia is a beautiful country though. You and others are very lucky to live there.

ardianto
07-04-2010, 03:13 PM
ow! I did not know this, shame on those people! Cant the government make sure they pay? Indonesia is a beautiful country though. You and others are very lucky to live there.
Government do something to make Muslims people pay zakat and sadaqah.
But, ............ citizens do it better.

Started from late of 90's, Muslims activist in Indonesia established some non-government zakat institutions with modern method in collection and distribution that different than traditional method that used by govt zakat institution.

Govt focus to zakat fitrah and zakat maal, and they are passive. I mean, they only wait in masjids. Govt also collect 'profession zakat', but their method is take 2.5% from govt employees salary. And they use this money only for feed poor people.

Different than non-govt zakat institutions. They always active to remind Muslims to pay zakat from their income, and also sadaqah. They do it with advertisement, leaflets, etc. They make some innovations in collecting zakat, like through bank transfer, pick donation from door to door, put many donation boxes in offices, stores, etc. And their goal is not only "feed poor people", but "make poor people can feed themselves".

Non-govt zakat institution programs are : students funds, business training and capital aid for micro business, build free schools, build free health clinics and free maternity clinics, and many more. Alhamdulillah, year by year, amount of zakat and sadaqah that collected by them is always increased.

If I am not wrong, there are 14 non-govt zakat institutions. And these are 4 of them.

PKPU
http://www.pkpu.or.id/english/homex.php

Rumah Zakat Indonesia
http://www.rumahzakat.org/

Dompet Dhuafa
http://www.dompetdhuafa.org/eng/home.php

DPU Da'arut Tauhid
http://www.dpu-online.com/

Ramadhan
07-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I have addressed naidamar's points, just not publically.

I was trying to keep this thread clear from debate, so I replied to him yesterday via rep.
If it helps, this is what I wrote:

If you can give me definite evidence of such practices and the addresses of the churches/missionaries in question, then I will do just that [write to them a letter of complaint and report them to the appropriate authority].

http://antikristenisasi.multiply.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/islam-...n/message/6839

http://www.nntpnews.net/f4987/berbag...nesia-3080668/

http://www.almanar.co.id/artikel-asa...indonesia.html

http://forumbebas.com/printthread.php?tid=85777

http://cintarasulullah.wordpress.com...sia-dan-dunia/

http://hidayatullah.com/kolom/adian-...dhelp-tersudut

http://reocities.com/Augusta/fairway/9542/iskris.html

http://pecarry.yourfreehosting.net/b.../aktualita.htm

http://aulyaabrar.wordpress.com/2010...lam-indonesia/

http://demokrasiku.wordpress.com/cat...ncian-kristen/

http://yaquza.blog.friendster.com/2007/11/page/2/

Ramadhan
07-04-2010, 04:13 PM
You should know that Indonesia is still a developing country with huge population (and inequalities of wealth is pretty mindboggling) and a relatively young country.
You are thinking from the perspective of a western people living in a developed well-to-do country.

The government can't even enforce income taxes universally, so how can you expect the government to police muslims to enforce the zakat?
Also, despite being the largest muslims country, Indonesia is largely secular, so therein lies the problem.

Rhubarb Tart
07-04-2010, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Government do something to make Muslims people pay zakat and sadaqah.
But, ............ citizens do it better.

Started from late of 90's, Muslims activist in Indonesia established some non-government zakat institutions with modern method in collection and distribution that different than traditional method that used by govt zakat institution.

Govt focus to zakat fitrah and zakat maal, and they are passive. I mean, they only wait in masjids. Govt also collect 'profession zakat', but their method is take 2.5% from govt employees salary. And they use this money only for feed poor people.

Different than non-govt zakat institutions. They always active to remind Muslims to pay zakat from their income, and also sadaqah. They do it with advertisement, leaflets, etc. They make some innovations in collecting zakat, like through bank transfer, pick donation from door to door, put many donation boxes in offices, stores, etc. And their goal is not only "feed poor people", but "make poor people can feed themselves".

Non-govt zakat institution programs are : students funds, business training and capital aid for micro business, build free schools, build free health clinics and free maternity clinics, and many more. Alhamdulillah, year by year, amount of zakat and sadaqah that collected by them is always increased.

If I am not wrong, there are 14 non-govt zakat institutions. And these are 4 of them.

PKPU
http://www.pkpu.or.id/english/homex.php

Rumah Zakat Indonesia
http://www.rumahzakat.org/

Dompet Dhuafa
http://www.dompetdhuafa.org/eng/home.php

DPU Da'arut Tauhid
http://www.dpu-online.com/
Thanks for the info.

Rhubarb Tart
07-04-2010, 05:30 PM
You should know that Indonesia is still a developing country with huge population (and inequalities of wealth is pretty mindboggling) and a relatively young country.
You are thinking from the perspective of a western people living in a developed well-to-do country.

The government can't even enforce income taxes universally, so how can you expect the government to police muslims to enforce the zakat?
Also, despite being the largest muslims country, Indonesia is largely secular, so therein lies the problem.
Salam

And you think everyone in the west are living a comfortable life and the government supports them?

I wasn’t thinking from any perspective. I just thought that Indonesia was in better position compared to other developing countries. Anyways thanks for your reply.

sister herb
07-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Salam Alaykum;

I totally agree with glo as:

This video tells quite same message then video of the first post in this thread:

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play...ken-a-la-Carte

imsad

May Allah help us to open our eyes to see misery of all human beings in this world and act our best to help every single person who needs our help.

Ramadhan
07-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Salam

And you think everyone in the west are living a comfortable life and the government supports them?
no, I also understand that there are millions of hungry americans.
I was merely stressing the fact that if governments of developed countries cannot fully eradicate poverty and completely feed the hunger, you cannot expect government of developing country to do just that or enforce people to pay their zakat, especially because zakat is not citizens obligation (Indonesia is a secular country)

However, in Indonesia, countless social organizations (mostly are muslims, btw) do fill in the gaps that the government can't do/provide, as br. ardianto has explained.

I wasn’t thinking from any perspective. I just thought that Indonesia was in better position compared to other developing countries. Anyways thanks for your reply.
Indonesia is indeed in better position compared to most developing countries. Alhamdulillah.

cat eyes
08-16-2010, 09:38 PM
thought id bump up this thread again since its ramadhan

cat eyes
08-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Grace Seeker
08-17-2010, 03:58 AM
A few years ago I began giving to charity through my Muslim daughter at Ramadan and the Feast of the Sacrifice. I was not concerned about whether it was any particular religious group or whether the recipients were or were not Muslim. Since I know she gives it locally where she lives and 98% of the people where she lives are Muslim, I would assume that it is Muslims who benefit, but that wasn't the issue. At least for me. Really I just thought that this was a way that I could express my solidarity with her as both of us believe in the importance of helping others specifically because of our faith stance. Here was something we have in common. But she lives where the need is greater than I do. And at present at least while I am not even of average income in the USA, still I have resources she does not. So, I thought that at least twice a year it would be something we could share. So, I match what I give to charities that I support which are working to relieve poverty here and send it for her to distribute through charities there as she best sees fit.

If others give with strings attached, I figure that is their problem. For those who on recipient of charity funds distribute them according something other than need, unless the funds are restricted by the givers themselves, it doesn't sound like something (if I knew of the practice) I would be able to continue to support, be they Christian, Muslim or some other group.

Here's hoping that there will be a global outpouring of support for those in Pakistan this year.

nousername
08-17-2010, 05:43 AM
I will inshaALlah just give money to Islamic relief and let them choose where it goes. I find it EXTREMELY hard to choose who to donate to when so many are suffering and deserving

Ummu Sufyaan
08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
btw, you can give (sadaqah) charity to non-muslims...zakat is exclusive for muslims.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/3854/sadaqah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!