/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hurting Religious Sentiment (Bangladesh)

S<Chowdhury
06-30-2010, 09:22 AM

Islam party leaders held

Police in Bangladesh have arrested three leaders of the country's largest Islamic party, Jamaat-e-Islami, on charges of "offending religious sentiments".

The three have been accused of making comments comparing the party's chief to the prophet Muhammad.

Police said those arrested included Moulana Motiur Rahman Nizami, the head of Jamaat-e-Islami party, and his deputy, Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mujahid.

"They were detained after the court issued arrest warrants against them for hurting the religious sentiment of the people," Dhaka city police chief A.K.M. Shahidul Haque told the AFP news agency.

The three leaders had been summoned to appear at a Dhaka court on Tuesday but ignored the order, which lead to an arrest warrant being issued, he said.

Haque said the charges stemmed from claims that Nizami's alleged persecution at the hands of the ruling Awami League was akin to the suffering of the Prophet Mohammed, he said.

Jamaat-e-Islami supporters have condemned the arrests as politically motivated because of the group's political alliance with the opposition Nationalist party, led by Begum Khaleda Zia, the former Bangladeshi prime minister.

Many Bangladeshis accuse Jamaat of collaborating with the Pakistani army during Bangladesh's independence war in 1971.

The party in turn has accused the government of Sheikh Hasina of trying to curb its activities using war crime charges and is likely to see the arrests as part of that effort.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/as...243774521.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
titus
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Haque said the charges stemmed from claims that Nizami's alleged persecution at the hands of the ruling Awami League was akin to the suffering of the Prophet Mohammed, he said.
That is no reason to arrest someone.

Pygoscelis
06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
That there can be charges of "offending religious sentiments" is enough of a story in itself and enough reason for first world secular countries to avoid such backward places.

aamirsaab
07-02-2010, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
That there can be charges of "offending religious sentiments" is enough of a story in itself and enough reason for first world secular countries to avoid such backward places.
I highly doubt that was the real reason (FYI, I do think it's a stupid reason to arrest someone, especially when there real crimes going on). It's more likely to do with politics than anything else. And we all know that politics is a dangerous and dirty game.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
titus
07-06-2010, 08:09 AM
I highly doubt that was the real reason (FYI, I do think it's a stupid reason to arrest someone, especially when there real crimes going on). It's more likely to do with politics than anything else. And we all know that politics is a dangerous and dirty game.
I think Pygoscelis understands that it was politics. It is the fact that someone can actually be arrested for any reason based on "offending religious sentiments" is backwards.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!