/* */

PDA

View Full Version : eid ul milad un nabi/peer worship

distressed
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
:sl:

I just wanted some advice on the above.

At the weekend, there was a march where i live, basically to celebrate the above. This happens every year, and it usually has people policing the event, theres banners outside the mosque etc, but i wasnt exactly sure what happened at this event.

Whilst talking to a friend who attended the event i was a bit shell shocked at what she said, and not quite sure what to make of it all, so just wanted clarifcation.

Basically a local guy who is known as a peer, (although it wasnt passed down to him through family, he ended up gaining the "seat " through the previous person passing away) has a religious gathering at his house, on the day, the men usually hug and kiss each other, I thought this wasnt allowed in islam ?

also the women who are seated separately, they recite things and read, but this peer's wife sits on a chair and every1 else has to sit on the floor, when some1 addresses her, they hav to kiss her hand ? and sit near her feet. Also the women amongst themselves apparently show affection through the kissing of hands/neck area ? again i thought this wasnt islam related ? This event is quite big, and people from other areas/countries also attend.

during the procession, the peer who is to be referred to as hazraat sahib..(even by his kids?) ended up sitting in a carriage and then the people that were watching were chucking flowers at him ? followed by the long march by the men and then a gathering where some1 usually preaches.

First of all i dont acknowledge peer people, i know they may know a lot more than me, but i only look to god for guidance and worship him, i wouldnt dream of asking a so called peer to fix my problems or to worship him.

Im just curious, my questions are i thought physical contact between same sexes was only if it was family ? & even then limited. also why do the men kiss each other ? is this permissable ?

why does the peers wife hav to sit in a higher position ? doesnt this indicate that she thinks shes above every1 else ? In islam everyone is equal right ?

whats the purpose of the carriage, and the flowers ? is that waste of money ? and advertising ? also doesnt this look like that people are actually worshipping this guy ? instead of god ?

I thought in islam birthdays werent supposed to celebrated ?

doesnt hazrat mean prophet ?

This family is a strict one, the girls wear niqab etc & they are well respected in the community, and they often have the weekly mehfils at their house, but i just didnt know what make of all this.

anyone ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
which city is this, majority paks? and whats a 'mehfil'?

hadhrat I think means 'honoured presence'

Yh this 'Eid Milad un Nabi' is an asian bida'h, they've gone as far as creating another Eid when we're told there are only 2 Eids, it happens throughout pakistan

Peer babas are fakes who venerate themselves and take money for dua's and other crap - again another asian thing, they're commiting huge sins

Too much culture and innovations in asian communites, glad theres none of it here in leicester

distressed
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Its in Leeds & yeh we hav our fair share..tbh it just didnt feel right when my friend was telling me, and i told her that just to do salah and read on her own rather than attend such gatherings. but cos the family are so highly respected i think no1 dares question them.

mehfil is when women gather and read kalimah and chant etc...not really sure theres different types of mehfils in our area.

Insaanah
06-30-2010, 01:42 PM
:sl: sister

Steer well clear of this whole set-up, regardless of if they wear niqaabs. The whole thing is wrong and against the sunnah. May Allah save us and guide us all. Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
06-30-2010, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by distressed
Its in Leeds & yeh we hav our fair share..tbh it just didnt feel right when my friend was telling me, and i told her that just to do salah and read on her own rather than attend such gatherings. but cos the family are so highly respected i think no1 dares question them.

mehfil is when women gather and read kalimah and chant etc...not really sure theres different types of mehfils in our area.
yh you best stay away from 'mehfils' another asian bida'h

honestly if I was still living in my home city (pak majority) I doubt I'd ever find out how much their practices are unislamic

Zafran
06-30-2010, 03:02 PM
salaam

It would be intressting if you went up to them asked for proofs of what they do

peace

Muslim Woman
06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Salaam.

Eid e Milad un Nabi or Sirat un Nabi is very common in Bangladesh. Normally Muslims discuss about the life of the Prophet saw , offer darud and nafal fasting and salat . I see no problem with any of these .

It's not worshipping the Prophet saw . We dont ask Prophet saw to accept our dua.

To my knowledge , Hazrat does not mean Prophet . A respected person can be called as Hazrat .

And Allah Knows Best.

Nájlá
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
This is Rubbish! And am shocked that it happens in Europe where most people are educated... Celebrating Birthdays is haraam never mind all the other ridiculous things they do.

CosmicPathos
06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Peer worship is centuries old, predominant as a Sufi part of Islam. The Sajjada Nasheen (person who sits on the main carpet/chair) is considered to have divine powers. This is Muslim manifestation of Hindu concept of Man-God (or God-man hehehe), Pandit, Sage, Mystic and what not .

Masuma
06-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Walikum Asalam Wr Wb!
I'll inshAllah answer it in parts.

First of all regarding Eid miladun Nabi, I think it is totally not allowed in Islam. It's a "bidaat" (something added by people which was actually not present in religion).

In my country, long processions are held where people recite "Naats" on loudspeakers etc! They carry flags as if these are the flags of Islam!:heated:

I also don't approve of these long marches and gatherings where people recite "naats" etc.

Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) never told us , his Ummah, to celebrate Eid miladun Nabi, let alone celebrating this "peer sahabs" promotion!!!

Asatghfirullah!:raging:

Zafran
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam.

Eid e Milad un Nabi or Sirat un Nabi is very common in Bangladesh. Normally Muslims discuss about the life of the Prophet saw , offer darud and nafal fasting and salat . I see no problem with any of these .

It's not worshipping the Prophet saw . We dont ask Prophet saw to accept our dua.

To my knowledge , Hazrat does not mean Prophet . A respected person can be called as Hazrat .

And Allah Knows Best.
salaam

I agree with you fully - its not just and sub continent thing but arabs do it as well as well as in malaysia and I believe in Indonesia -

But the thing about the chair I am not familiar with.

peace

Masuma
06-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Salaam.

Sister, doing these things in the name of Islam is actually a "bidaat" which should never be approved of by Muslims.
In my country, people have these long marches etc, (block the whole traffic there) They fill up vehicles with people even sitting on buses' roofs uttering all types of slogans. (i.e. that we love Prophet so much and we will do this and that for him, but how would one know what actually is in their hearts. So such things would then be seen as hypocrisy)

People recite "naats" and have special gatherings for it, which i don't approve of.

If the Prophet's companions *who loved him far more than us) didn't do such type of things, why should we?!

I just wanted some advice on the above.

At the weekend, there was a march where i live, basically to celebrate the above. This happens every year, and it usually has people policing the event, theres banners outside the mosque etc, but i wasnt exactly sure what happened at this event.

Whilst talking to a friend who attended the event i was a bit shell shocked at what she said, and not quite sure what to make of it all, so just wanted clarifcation.

Basically a local guy who is known as a peer, (although it wasnt passed down to him through family, he ended up gaining the "seat " through the previous person passing away) has a religious gathering at his house, on the day, the men usually hug and kiss each other, I thought this wasnt allowed in islam ?

also the women who are seated separately, they recite things and read, but this peer's wife sits on a chair and every1 else has to sit on the floor, when some1 addresses her, they hav to kiss her hand ? and sit near her feet. Also the women amongst themselves apparently show affection through the kissing of hands/neck area ? again i thought this wasnt islam related ? This event is quite big, and people from other areas/countries also attend.

during the procession, the peer who is to be referred to as hazraat sahib..(even by his kids?) ended up sitting in a carriage and then the people that were watching were chucking flowers at him ? followed by the long march by the men and then a gathering where some1 usually preaches.

First of all i dont acknowledge peer people, i know they may know a lot more than me, but i only look to god for guidance and worship him, i wouldnt dream of asking a so called peer to fix my problems or to worship him.

Im just curious, my questions are i thought physical contact between same sexes was only if it was family ? & even then limited. also why do the men kiss each other ? is this permissable ?

why does the peers wife hav to sit in a higher position ? doesnt this indicate that she thinks shes above every1 else ? In islam everyone is equal right ?

whats the purpose of the carriage, and the flowers ? is that waste of money ? and advertising ? also doesnt this look like that people are actually worshipping this guy ? instead of god ?

I thought in islam birthdays werent supposed to celebrated ?

doesnt hazrat mean prophet ?

This family is a strict one, the girls wear niqab etc & they are well respected in the community, and they often have the weekly mehfils at their house, but i just didnt know what make of all this.

anyone ?
Sister, this whole peer thing has very less to do with truth. I don't think peers have some special power! Yeah they might be more righteous but not like they have some supernatural powers or anything of that sort.

This is an ignorant belief in asian countries. here many of the Muslims actually converted to Islam from Hinduism and so they still have some of these "hindu superstitions" and "beliefs" left in them.

And Allah knows best!

aadil77
06-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Salaam.

No one said theres a problem with 'darud and nafal fasting and salat', but picking out a day and giving it some special significance to carry out this ibadah is the problem, then turning that day into another 'Eid' is another problem. I'm pretty sure in places like bangladesh they go as far performing another Eid salah! Then you get loads of freemixing and music happening at these hindu style festivals

All this happening especially when there is not an ounce of islamic evidence to support it, let alone the fact that the greatest people of our ummah, the people who's love for rasulullah is uncomparable to anyone - the sahaba do not even mention a word about mawlid, neither do the tabieen or the tabi tabieen.

Its just an asian cultural thing

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Aslamu`Alaaykum dear sistah :)

As far as i am aware the Prophet (saw) didnt kiss other men on the cheek , but maybe Hug,but if im wrong please correct me.
These people to me sound like theyre really high as theyre having people from around the world coming to see, you know shiekhs such as Ahmad deedat, Zakir Naik they see from different pople from different countries, and have the majority coming from different countries to see them and sis they have knowledge of their deen but i dont think they kissed anyone but im sure folks who respect them may kiss their hands but for respect not for anything else. my point is theyre in the same status as these peers you mentioned and these "both" are from the same types of people with same status just called Peers but knowledge maybe on differnt areas:D

There children shouldnt be calling em "Hadrat etc", theyre to be called "Father","Mother".

And i think Hadrat or Hazrat means "Sir" but correct me if im wrong someone InshaAllaah.

And if you think these guys are worshipping him then they are commiting a big Sin which is known as Shirk!.Only Allah is to be worshipped and no ONE else!

And the Kissing part i personally dont think anything is wrong unless they go kiss em on their face, i mean to respect your elders to show affection you can kiss their hands/palms. But a man kissing a man is just wrong (i dono bout women tho) but just my opinion and i know for a fact the Prophet saw didnt do this!

All the best sistah

Wa Alaaykum Salaam

Zafran
06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Its just an asian cultural thing
Its not an exclusively asian thing - its celeberated all over the muslim world including in the arab world, west africa and indonesia.

peace

aadil77
06-30-2010, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Its not an exclusively asian thing - its celeberated all over the muslim world including in the arab world, west africa and indonesia.

peace
In this country its mostly an asian thing, across the world asians are mostly known for celebrating it

but I know theres bound to be people from every country celebrating it

Zafran
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
In this country its mostly an asian thing, across the world asians are mostly known for celebrating it

but I know theres bound to be people from every country celebrating it
salaam

You mean in the UK its percieved to be an asian thing when in fact it happens in the muslim world widely- celeberated by many other ethnic people as well - some countries even have a public holiday on the mawlid.

peace

Rhubarb Tart
06-30-2010, 09:00 PM
wow this is the first time I heard of such thing.

Snowflake
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Hazrat doesn't mean Prophet. I think it means respected. As for peers, they look like crooks/dakus to me. I see darkness on their faces. Astaghfirullah. The true auliyah would shun such praise and attention from the masses and have nothing to do with it. No human being was better than the Prophet (saw), yet even he (saw) forbade people from over praising him.

Do not over praise me as the Christians over-praised the son of Mary. I am His slave so say: 'Allah's slave and messenger' [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]
May Allah guide them.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 09:21 PM
^ Hadhrat means "Sir" as someone respected as far as my knowledge goes sistah :embarrass lol

Snowflake
06-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Can't be Sir as it's said for females too (hazrat Aiysha - Sir Aiysha? ;D :-\

Sir is huzoor/janab.

I could be wrong :p

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Can't be Sir as it's said for females too (hazrat Aiysha - Sir Aiysha? ;D :-\

Sir is huzoor/janab.

I could be wrong :p
Khaayr u geeky sistah i may be wrong :-\ lol i dont think the Women would be a sir but rather Madam :embarrass. . .
hmm you got me thinking , in arabic they say Hadhrat right? but Huzoor aint arabic word lol . .you geek geeky geeky geeky geek!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Sister usually at the end of Hadhrat Aisha/Umar it will say Radi Allahu Anhum and Radi Allahu Anha, so this shows whether the individual is male ya female :embarrass hope i made sense Insha`Allaah!

aadil77
06-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Hadrat or Hazrat or Hazret (Arabic: حضرة‎) is an honourific Arabic title used to honour a person. The literal translation of Hazrat means "Great Presence"

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Hadrat or Hazrat or Hazret (Arabic: حضرة‎) is an honourific Arabic title used to honour a person. The literal translation of Hazrat means "Great Presence"
Jazakallahu Khaayr for the Clarificaton!

Snowflake
06-30-2010, 10:01 PM
In other words - respected lololol ;D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 10:01 PM
In other words - respected lololol ;D
Like i said previously :embarrass

Snowflake
06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
Like i said previously :embarrass
I didn't see you say 'previously'? lol ;D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
I didn't see you say 'previously'? lol ;D
Ok here it is :) I quote me Previously : "^ Hadhrat means "Sir" as someone respected as far as my knowledge goes sistah lol"

Sorry :(

Masuma
07-01-2010, 01:19 AM
LOL @ you people! :D

Hazrat doesn't mean Prophet. I think it means respected. As for peers, they look like crooks/dakus to me. I see darkness on their faces. Astaghfirullah. The true auliyah would shun such praise and attention from the masses and have nothing to do with it. No human being was better than the Prophet (saw), yet even he (saw) forbade people from over praising him.

Do not over praise me as the Christians over-praised the son of Mary. I am His slave so say: 'Allah's slave and messenger' [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

May Allah guide them.
yeah this is mashAllah a great reply. :)

distressed
07-01-2010, 07:03 AM

brother Zafran

The daughter of this guy was actually my class mate at school,but i hardly talk to her anymore. They werent into these sorts of things, back then. I didnt attend the event but a close family friend did, and she doesnt know much, but was relaying what happened back to me. She doesnt agree with some of it either, but doesnt see anything wrong with the reading etc. She said they made a film when the bloke sat in the carriage, and of the whole procession, i asked if i could watch it, just out of nosiness, she just sed they were strict on who sees it, but shes gona ask them, so i'll be able to tell you in more detail what went on, in the day...

Muslim woman, i wasnt saying they were worshipping the prophet, the whole event was centered around this peer guy and from the outset, it was like they were worshipping him ratha than god.

Sister An33Za

I know the family are more pious than me, in fact they are more pious than any1 in our area, so people look up to them.

Sister muslim 4life.. The affection part i was referring to, well the blokes actually hug, and kiss each other on the face/neck as do the women ? I know thats not right.

I know they do the march every year, but i wasnt aware of what else when on. After posting this, ive asked another few friends, who were as shocked as you guys. I remember seeing something on youtube a few years ago, 2 do with this guy, but i dont know if this event will be up ?

D

thelionphoenix
07-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullah hi Wabarakatuhu

Alhamdulillah, all the posters unequivocally condemned this practice of innovation, mashallah, may Allah keep us in his guidance.

So I try to not to unnecessarily mention that it is a bid'aa.

I notice the OP (distressed) mentioning "The daughter of this guy was actually my class mate at school,but i hardly talk to her anymore."
My advice to OP is that, this is not what prophet Muhammed (SAW) would have done, and hopefully you would agree to me, so if we start wondering what is it that he would have done, well we would conclude he would perhaps talk to the person and obviously would have done his best using his wisdom and at present it becomes the OP's duty to strive in the way of Allah in the best manner possible with the best of the wisdom available, and Inshallah with the right intentions, it may help the misguided fellow or it may not but it definitely would serve the purpose of the existence of OP in this world, Inshallah.

Now as far as it being an asian practice is considered it is not so.

And the reason why people assume it to be a practice dominant in the Asian continent is that they assume that it is a derivation from a Hindu culture which is again not so.

If we recall, since the time of Muhammed (SAW) the jews have been very wisely attacking Islam, sending their great learned ones in the muslim community, who used to live among the muslims like the muslims and created great fitnas among them and they were the ones who were properly defined by Allah as the Munafiqun (the hypocrites).

Now we all know their first great attack after the death of Prophet Muhammed (SAW) lead to the division of Islam into two great hate and enmity filled sects -- the shias and the sunnis.

Now obviously the hatred and the envy of the jews was not to end there, and so they have been attacking Islam ever since and dividing Islam into more and more sects.

And today the whole world learns from them and uses similar strategies to spread hate and misunderstanding among the people of the world -- the divide and rule policies.
:exhausted

These innovations that we come across have been inserted by the jews to
(i) Divide the muslims into very small groups and hence weaken us
(ii) To make the misguided people forget the concept of true striving in the way of Allah (which is obligatory on every muslim) and involve them in activities like 'jalsas' and other stupid rituals which waste time.

Hence it becomes obligatory on every one of us to strive to spread the word of truth, among the misguided people. We muslims normally don't try to do much against the innovations basically because their is a subconsious feeling that " they won't listen cause they themselves created this haven't they " but most of us are wrong, they were lead into this and they all have the right to once been shown the light.

Every second of our life the jews are planning something against us and we muslims are doing nothing.
Majority are not even aware of this, and to be aware you need not travel across the world or have extra insight into world affairs, but ponder over the verses of the Qur'an, where Allah (SWT) mentions that jews as a whole will be your enemies, did he mention that we have to fight or kill the jews no nowhere in Qur'an does Allah say kill jews.

We have to realize that Allah mentions this to warn us so that we prepare ourselves against their enmity, their envy, their hatred, which we do not.

May Allah guide us All on the sirat-al-Mustaqeem. Ameen

distressed
07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thelionphoenix

I notice the OP (distressed) mentioning "The daughter of this guy was actually my class mate at school,but i hardly talk to her anymore."
My advice to OP is that, this is not what prophet Muhammed (SAW) would have done, and hopefully you would agree to me, so if we start wondering what is it that he would have done, well we would conclude he would perhaps talk to the person and obviously would have done his best using his wisdom and at present it becomes the OP's duty to strive in the way of Allah in the best manner possible with the best of the wisdom available, and Inshallah with the right intentions, it may help the misguided fellow or it may not but it definitely would serve the purpose of the existence of OP in this world, Inshallah.

Salaam

I shud have sed the reason why i no longer talk to the girl is not cos of her practices, we just lost touch wen she settled down in her married life, and both were busy with our own lifes.

I understand what your saying, but my knowledge on islam is limited & im really strugglin with my faith atm, im hardly the best person, and there is no way on earth any1 would listen to anything that i have to say. You've got 2 remember her parents have bought her up with these practices, so shes hardly gona take my word over theirs is she ??

D

__follower
07-21-2010, 04:07 PM
always confused by topics like these ,i think its more of an Asian culture

ardianto
07-21-2010, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
- some countries even have a public holiday on the mawlid.
Including Indonesia.

Tawangar
11-26-2010, 07:01 PM
12 stop signs for those who celebrate the Prophet’s (saws) birthday!
Written by Hasan al Husayni and translated by Sulayman Sa’ud Saqer. English corrected and edited(without changing the meanings) by me. Taken from islamhouse.

All Praise is for Allah (swt) and Peace and Blessings be upon His Messenger, Muhammad(saws), the noblest of humanity. I want to put before the eyes of the reader the following points with reference to those who celebrate the Prophet’s (saws) birthday, whether their action is in keeping with and permitted in the Shari’ah (Islamic law) or against it. In other words is it deserving of reward or punishment. I further pray that this article will be of benefit to all.

First Stop:
Allah Tabarak Wa Ta'ala instructed his Messenger (saws) to follow what Allah has revealed to him and not to invent or 'fabricate' instructions. He (swt) says in the Qur`an whose translation into English is as follows:

“And thereafter We have placed thee upon the law of the religion; so follow it thou, and follow not the vain desires of those who know not.” Surah Jathiya, verse 18. translated into English by ‘abdil majid daryabadi.

The acts of worship in Islam are unchanging, immune and everlasting as they were revealed to the Prophet (saws). There is no way for the human brain and logic to interfere in them. Allah therefore, instructed his Prophet (saws) to follow the revelation only. For eg, Allah says in the Qur’an, And whenever thou bringest not unto them, as a sign, they say: wherefore hast not thou selected it? Say thou: I only follow that which hath been revealed unto me by my Lord. This is enlightenment from your Lord and guidance and a mercy unto a people who believe. Surah al-‘Araf, verse 203. Translated into English by ‘abdil majid daryabadi.
Further, the true scholars of Islam have resolved that acts of worship are subject only to following of the Qur’an and Sunna, and not innovating.

Second Stop:
Indeed, Allah conferred a great favor on the believers by sending to them his messenger Muhammad(saws) and not his birthday at all. That’s what the Lord Tabarak Wa Taa'ala says in his revealed book "the Qura'n":
Assuredly Allah hath conferred a benefit on the believers when He raised up unto them an apostle from amongst themselves, he rehearseth unto them His revelations and purifieth them and teacheth them the Book and wisdom, and afore they were in an error manifest. Surah aal-e-imran, verse no 164. Translated into English by ‘abdil majid daryabadi.

Third Stop:
The first generation of believers who were the Prophet's companions (We are ordered to follow and to take their understanding of what was meant by the verses of Qur’an and Hadith-a scale for our understanding of Islam) didn’t add anything to their acts of `ibadah on the Prophet's birthday. If they had added anything, it would certainly have been transferred to us, because they were most desirous and enthusiastic to have exact knowledge in order to worship their Lord and so was the next generation and the generation that came after them. The knowledgeable scholar ; Abi `Abdullah Muhammad Al-Haffar (of the Maliki school) said that; : Don’t you realize that "Friday" is the best of all days, and the best of ‘ibadah in the best day is to fast in it, but the Prophet(saws) prohibited to fast (specifically in) it, in spite of it's great virtue. This indicates that we are prohibited to invent and specify times and dates for acts of worship. The last of this nation will never be better guided than its first generation. Faithfully (I say) All advantages are in following the pious predecessors.

Fourth Stop:
Look at the sublime understanding of Al Farooq; ‘Umar ibn al Khattab(ra) as he started the Muslim Calender with the Prophet's(saws) Hijra to Al Madinah, which stands as a symbol for the victory of Islam over disbelief rather than starting the Muslim calendar with his birthday or the day of his death. Do you know why? It is giving truth and evidence priority over rituals and formalities.

Fifth Stop:
The first to invent this innovation in Islam was the Fatimid State in Cairo in the fourth Hijri century. They invented six birthday celebrations; for the Prophet (saws), `Ali, Fatima, Al Hasan and Al Husayn(May Allah be pleased with them all) and a birthday for their monarch as well. These celebrations lasted until were invalidated by Al Afdal Bin Ameer Al Jiyosh, before they were restored again during the reign of Al-Hakim Bi ‘Amr Allah in 524 in such a time that people had nearly forgotten them. The Umma therefore didn’t witness these celebrations before that state. The question is that: Is this (rafidi) state competent for us to follow which stands in opposition to Islam's fundamentals and pillars? Moreover the strangest matter is that some people prefer the Prophet's birthday anniversary to the night of Al Qadr!!

Sixth Stop:
Historians haven’t reached an agreement regarding the month in which he (saws) was born in. Some said it was Ramadan, but most said it was Rabi' Al ‘Awwal. They further, differed about his day of birth, as many opinions were presented: It was given by Ibn `Abdul Barr as the second day of Rabi’ Al Awal. Ibn Hazm said it was the eighth day which was the opinion of most Hadith scholars. Others said it was the ninth day which was considered as most likely by Shaykh Abul Hasan ‘Ali Nadwi and Shaykh Zahid Al Kawthari.
While Al Baqir said the day was the tenth of that month. Ibn Ishaq stated that it was the twelfth day. The day also was indicated as the seventeenth and eighteenth of that month. The diversity in stating the prophet's birthday is proof that the companions were not keen to bring to other generations that day (date) and that in their knowledge it didn’t include a particular form of worship in itself. So if there was a special act of worship for that day itself it would have been accurately transferred to us. We all believe that nothing of Islam has been lost whatsoever.
Shaykh Yusuf Al Qaradawi said that : When we look at this subject from a historical point of view we find that the companions(May Allah be pleased with them) didn’t celebrate the anniversary of the Prophet’s(saws) birth or the anniversaries of his ascension(Mi’raj) or Hijra(Migration). Moreover, the fact is that they were not searching for these dates. They differed about the date of his birthday. They had given different dates for that because they knew that there was no prescribed act of worship in them. It is well known that the companions and the earliest generations who were the most virtuous of the Umma didn’t celebrate these anniversaries, it was invented after many years. Among the strangest things in this case is that the ruler of Irbil used to celebrate the Prophet's birthday in one year on the eighth of Rabi’ Al ‘Awwal and another year in the twelfth of that month as if taking into consideration the difference in the scholar's sayings regarding the birthdate!! (Ibn Khallikan, Volume 1 Page 437).

Seventh Stop:
The date of the Prophet’s (saws) birthday is the same date of his death (Monday 12th of Rabi' Al Awwal ) therefore, rejoicing on this day is no more appropriate than sorrow. (As stated by several scholars, like Ibn Al Haaj Al Maliki and Shaykh Faka’hani ).
Ibn Al Haaj Al Maliki said that: " The most surprising of their celebrations is that, they hold parties of songs and show gladness for his birth in that day, while he moved in dignity into the heavens (his death), which stands as the worst distress with which the Muslim nation has ever been afflicted, so that according to the criteria that they are following, they should weep and be sorrowful, instead of singing and celebrating- Al Madkhal 2/16.

Eighth stop:
It is remarkable that celebrations of the Prophet’s birthday are prevalent in Muslim territories adjacent to Christian nations like Egypt and Sham whereas those Nasara celebrate Christmas as the birthday of Jesus Peace be upon him and the anniversaries of his family members as well. The Muslims imitated them in that, which was the reason behind the spread of this Bida’ among Muslims. So it was a confirmation of the prophet's promise included in his Hadith : You will follow the ways of those came before you, span by span and an arm by an arm, even if they had entered into a lizard's hole you will follow them ) We said " O! Messenger of allah(saws) : (You mean) Jews and Christians ? He said: "Who (else)?" Bukhari and Muslim.
The imitation of them reached a degree that the scholar Al Sakhawi said :”those who worship the Cross have taken the birthday of their prophet as their greatest feast day, so the Muslims are much more eligible for taking their prophet's birthday a feast”, but his reckoning was opposed by Mulla `Ali Qari al hanafi, saying :"The fact is that : Muslims are instructed to oppose them. Not to follow them…." Al Mawrid Al Rawi:29.

Ninth stop:
The loving of Allah’s Messenger is not be embodied by celebrating his birthday but only with following his Sunna, and putting it as superior to anything else. We must realize that the prophet(saws) and his companions May Allah Be Pleased with Them were the best worshippers of Allah Tabarak Wa Taa'la and the most virtuous of this nation, without celebrating his birthday, so they were like that , (and) our religion compels us to follow them ……!!
The fact that we must be overjoyed with the prophet (saws) not just on one day, but in everyday. We should be pleased with doing what did ordered us to do and refrain what did he order to be refrained from... That's it, with empowering our faith we obtain the goodness and prosperity of this worldly life and the hereafter.

Tenth Stop:
The Prophet (saws) said that: Do not praise me, like the Christians have praised ‘Isa. I am but the servant [of Allah], hence call me the servant of Allah and His messenger.
Most of these celebrations exaggerate flattering the Prophet (saws) (and disagreeing with his orders).
Moreover it's strange that even the scholars who defend birthdays admit that there is a gross exaggeration in flattering the prophet(saws) which would reach infidelity!! Particularly when some people overstepped all bounds and composed books including in them what they fabricated of false Hadiths after ascribing them to the prophet(saws). For instance, ‘Abdullah Al Ghumari, one of the prominent contemporary Sufi figures said that:
" The books about the prophet's birthday are full of 'fabricated Hadiths' which have become a stable creed in the brains of some commoners !.I am looking forward to composing a book about the prophet's birthday but it will be free from two things: Fabricated aHadith and the rhymed texts".
What I intend to say is that exaggeration in worshipping is generally prohibited in Islam as for the verse (which its meaning would be):
(O people of the book (Jews and Nasara)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allah aught but the truth.)Surat Al Nisa’, Verse 171. And we are instructed to do the same.
Further, anyone who praises the prophet(saws) with something not confirmed in our religion, thus falls under the meaning of the prophet's Hadith :( …. and any who intends to lie in attributing (something) to me , let him occupy his place in the fire) bukhari & muslim.
Moreover, the prophet's virtues are not deemed such as may be taken by assumption. The matter is so sensitive so that Abul ma’ali al juwayni, who was the imam al haramayn considered the person who lies in telling Hadith as a 'disbeliever' …. And added “Therefore all exaggerations and things exceeding the limits must be burned in fire, otherwise, their holders will be burned in the fire of hell !!"… O Lord, forgive us … (From his criticism of qasida burda – a poem in praise of nabi(saws).
And there is No power nor strength except in Allah….

Eleventh Stop:
the corruption that goes on in mawlid gatherings is easily visible to everybody. the like of:
They accuse others who don’t support birthdays of hating the prophet(saws) forgetting that highly respecting and loving are embodied in compliance with Sunna and throwing away every bida’ from our religion .
Also dancing and using of fabricated expressions or ways (instead of the revealed ones!!), made up stories specially about imagined charisma and other illusions ……
In this context, Sheikh Ali Mahfoud Al Azhari Says : " There is excessive spending and wasting of property and time…"Al Ibdaa' 324. I add, that Such wasting of time and money, according to the fundamentals of Islam , is prohibited and considered as an utter sin even if having taken place in legitimate & permissible acts. Now the question is how it will be if money and time are spent on illegitimate & unauthorized things (Haram)?

Twelfth Stop:
There is a consensus of Muslems that the prophetic Birthday is a bida’ added to the religion of Islam, but the scholars differed about it's nature whether it is a good or a bad bida’ . A few of scholars preferred to say it's a good innovation because of the benefits – as they thought, were involved in it!! .
While most of the true scholars , Preceding and succeeding , resolved that conducting a birthday celebration is something prohibited in Islam. It is a sin (Haram), in accordance with the evidences which prohibited any invention in worship. holidays and celebrations are emerging from the religion which doesn’t include birthdays at all. Thus most of scholars have prevented opening a wide door for a certain evil , which is considered by a few as good !! It is something hadn’t been done by the prophet(saws) or his companions nor those honestly succeeded them, a generation after another !!.
Taking into consideration that the prophet (saws) didn’t discriminate between a good Bida’ or another; He said that: Each heresy is a deviation.
Imam Malik said that: “Each one has invented an innovation which he considered as a good one, thus he pretended that Muhammed(saws) had betrayed the message he had been sent with ! because Allah says:
"Today I have completed your religion and have perfected my grace on you” " Surat Al Maidah, v3.
Thus what wasn’t a part of Islam religion on that day, will never be a part of the religion on any other day. ) From Al I'tisaam – Al Shatibi.

Some of the scholars who judged that the celebration of the birthday is an innovation(Bida’)
• Imam Al Shatibi in his book "Al I'tisaam -1/34" where he mentioned in it's first pages some types of innovations, considering the prophetic birthday as one of them, so he condemned them.
• Imam Al Fak’ahany .
• Ibn Al Haj Al Maliki .
• The scholar of India , Abu Tayyib Shams Al Haq. And his sheikh ; Bashiruddin Qannoji , who had composed a book for this purpose. See his comment in Dar Qutni on the sahih Hadith: "Anyone who invents in our religion what is (originally) not from it is rejected."
• The highly esteemed scholar, Abi `Abdullah Al Haffar Al Maliki from the Maghreb said that: (The mawlid was not done by the most virtuous generation after the prophet(saws) who were his companions . They didn’t use to distinguish it from other nights by any act of worship. That they learnt from the prophet(saws) who didn’t worship his Lord unless with what He(swt) revealed to him(saws).) Al Ma'yar Al Muarab. 7/99.
• The highly esteemed scholar Ibn ‘Othaimeen said that "They hold celebrations of the Prophet’s birthday because –as they say- they love the prophet(saws). We say: " Welcome if you love him, and Welcome if you love to hold celebrations for his anniversary but, be aware that there is a balance authorized by the Lord of this universe, the Best of judges who has said in this verse: (Say If you (really) love Allah then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." Surat Ali Imran –Verse 31.
• So if the person is faithful in his pretending to love Muhammed (saws) he must follow him (his Sunnah) otherwise he is lying and doesn’t love the Prophet(saws). Now let's see if the birthday had been celebrated by the prophet(saws)? By the rightly Guided Caliphs ? By the other companions ? By the succeeding generations? The answer to all these questions is an ultimate"No" and to anyone pretending another answer, we will say: Qul haati burhanukum in kuntum saadiqeen.
• Sheikh Yusuf Al Qardawi who said that " They said that these birthdays were invented by the Fatimid State in Egypt and from there it was transferred to other parts of the Muslim countries. Whereas, there were some political objectives behind inventing these occasions. May be to make the public busy with these birthdays and other celebrations so as not to think of political affairs and other matters. And if we consider the birthdays as an act of worship , it cant be like that at all !" - Al Jazeerah Satellite Channel.
Sheikh Mohammed Al Ghazali judged that these birthdays are nothing more than a fabrication . In his book “Not Islamic" page 252 he said that: " Worshipping Allah with holding these birthdays is not an act of worship. Therefore I prefer the judgment of innovation over all of these celebrations and they must be rejected and not excused. Removing the celebrations of birthdays is a worldly and religious necessity. The same applies to celebrating the prophet’s birthdays , the night of nisf shaban, the night of the Prophet's ascension, Al Qadr and the hijri new year . The dates of these nights were randomly appointed , parties were held , money generously spent, held by public and leaders with more and more speech and food , and at last they are saying we are “serving Islam". Ironic.
Wasalam.

GuestFellow
11-27-2010, 09:43 PM

I have heard of this. There is a group of Muslims that I know claim to follow this peer man. The group claims that he has divine powers or something along those lines...like being able to tell what we are doing without being present. These people gather around and say very loud prayers, I mean very loud.

I have no idea what this practice is but I can tell it has nothing to do with Islam. As an overview, I found it creepy.

أبو سليمان عمر
11-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Salaam.

And Allah Knows Best.
somtimes sis it is worshipping the prophet but lets say it wasnt lets say it isnt worship the prophet at all but it is a ibadah it is an act of worship which the people who do it do it to get closer to Allah hence it is a bidah Allah says he has completed the deen meaning it is complete nothing needs to be added and since the prophet didnt do it the sahaba didnt do it then we shouldnt becasue it is a bidah somthing newly invented in the deen to get closer to Allah and if we think about it isnt what the prophet came with sufficent why do we need to add somthing we dont hence we take the deen as it is and if we want to do an act of worship we need to make sure that the prophet did it that it is allowed otherwise it is haram every ibadah is haram unless we see text saying it is persmiaable and everything in the dunya is halal unless we see text tells us it is haram this is how to protect yourself from bidah and khurafat

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!