/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learning to cook

noorseeker
06-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Salam everyone

Yes i am a guy and i want to learn to cook , yes you heard right, ok maybe i will leave the cleaning to me mum lol

I was just wondering is there any cook books out there, which show me how to cook different things in under 5 ingredients. Any recipes that dont take up much time

Too many ingredients put me off, lol

JazakAllah in advance for any replies

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Im i hearing right? :-\

Annnywayyy. . .Some foods require loadsa ingredients so you must put up with that InshaAllaah!

And i hope someone can advice you of a good cookbook that can help you out Indeed!

And you must clean upp "who made the mess must take away the mess" :-\ and ye i made that up

InshaAllaah someone give you good recipe book indeedy

Rhubarb Tart
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
bbc website has simple recipes. But if you want a full and proper meal then I doubt you can use only five ingredients. It is not as hard as you think. And what kind of food do you like? Ask your mum to teach you.

hurray! A dude that wants to cook. :)

Snowflake
06-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Under 5 ingredients? Egg on toast?

1. bread
2. egg.
3 butter

salt & pepper optional - or in my case salt pepper & red chilli

Start with basics bro. :thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
-Elle-
07-01-2010, 03:30 PM
MashAllah good initiative...cooking is so much fun. I have a bunch of easy recipes (though it is mostly for sweets ... :/), but even the simplest ones are rarely under 5 ingredients...don't be intimidated by number of ingredients, you might have 10 items to the ingredient list, but it goes something like : peas, salt, corn, (i.e. simple items)

do you want to learn the basics (ex.: eggs, pasta,rice etc) or like...real meals, using the oven and mixer and stuff? lool. And what type of food do you want to try?(italian (quite easy), arabic, mexican,etc..?)

let us know and i'll post up specific recipes ..for now, check out this website

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Main.aspx

It's recipes are very reliable, and if you follow what is written, you're bound to get good results inshAllah.

noorseeker
07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the replies, i wana start with any rice dishes , as we always have rice at home, then move on from there.

i wana learn how to make lasagne

'Abd Al-Maajid
07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
Thanks for the replies, i wana start with any rice dishes , as we always have rice at home, then move on from there.

i wana learn how to make lasagne
You sure?;D;D;D

Ingredients

* 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
* 3/4 pound lean ground beef
* 1/2 cup minced onion
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
* 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
* 1/2 cup water
* 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 12 lasagna noodles
* 16 ounces ricotta cheese
* 1 egg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
* 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

glo
07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Rice recipes?

Look here: http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-0156p.html

aadil77
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
easy meal:

pasta sauce + boiled pasta (add some sweetcorn, chicken etc)

Raaina
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
easy meal:

pasta sauce + boiled pasta (add some sweetcorn, chicken etc)
Excellent meal!

If you want to learn to cook easy meals, you should pick up a student cook book, there will be lots in the shops right now for people going to university for the first time :)

Raziah
07-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Alsalam alikum,

Do you want to bake a cake?

Snowflake
07-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I thought egg toast was good for beginners. But seems you're cooking skills are a bit more advanced than that.

How about the simplest pilaw rice?

Preparation time: 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
Serves 4
Ingredients

450g/1lb basmati rice (for a more authentic flavour and texture it is best not to use easy-cook rice; however, it will still work and be very tasty if you do)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
large knob butter, plus extra to serve
4 cardamom pods
8 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
pinch saffron threads
2 bay leaves
600ml/1 pint hot chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
salt
Preparation method
To make sure you get lovely fluffy rice, wash it in several changes of cold water, then leave to soak for about 30 minutes in fresh cold water. If you don't have time for this, place in a sieve and wash under the cold tap for a minute or so.
Cook the onion in the butter for around 5 minutes until softened. Add the spices, saffron and bay leaves and cook for a couple more minutes. The spices will give a wonderful fragrant flavour to the rice. Add the rice and stir until the grains are coated in the butter before stirring in the stock or water and salt. Bring to the boil and then cover with a tight-fitting lid. If the lid isn't very tight, cover the pan with aluminium foil before putting the lid on. Turn the heat down low and leave to cook for 10 minutes before turning off the heat. Don't remove the lid; just leave the rice to continue cooking in the pan for about 5 minutes until you're ready to serve.
The rice should have absorbed all the water and will just need fluffing up with a fork. Add a knob of butter before serving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fr...ilaurice_67870

UmmSqueakster
07-02-2010, 07:08 PM
When I'm looking to cook new things, I head over to the library and browse the cookbook section. Then you can check a book out and test it before you buy it. I'm sure any decent sized library would have plenty of intro to cooking books.

Snowflake
07-02-2010, 08:24 PM
^Don't you google recipes sis? :p

When I want to cook something new, I stand like in the kitchen for a few minutes, doing nothing just standing there with a big question mark over my head. I focus on my taste buds to see what kind of flavour and texture they want lol Next, I spend a few minutes looking in the fridge and cupboards to see what's available to produce those flavours. All the while an idea is forming in my head. Then crash bang wallop, I just go for it. A couple if times, I had to invite the local birds to eat my creations. But mostly some nice things have come out of my cooking pots. So hamdulillah, not bad. :)

Raziah
07-03-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm ready if you want any recipe for cake.....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!