/* */

PDA

View Full Version : So I saw the Last Airbender yesterday (spoilers)

Darth Ultor
07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
I will start by going on record to say that I love Avatar: The Last Airbender (Legend of Aang in Europa). It has one of most well though out and developed stories of all time. However, the live action movie was terrible. I'll try to be constructive in my review here.

Special effects: Okay, this was the best part of the movie. The scenery was beautiful, the fight scenes were awesome despite how long it took just to bend air, and Appa and Momo didn't look like something that only exists in a computer.

Story: I know each season is about ten hours long, but Night was running under the assumption that everybody saw the show. People who didn't see it would only get an extremely rushed story that focuses more on the world than the characters. When Peter Jackson directed Lord of the Rings, it still felt like Lord of the Rings. People who didn't read the books still knew what was going on. Sure he made some questionable changes, but it was still LOTR.

Characters: ATLA had some of the finest character development in the fantasy genre. Each one had their own issue and grew up in some way. Most of all, each of them had definable personalities: Aang is a fun loving, naive, and dedicated reluctant hero; Katara is motherly, caring, short fused; Sokka is casual, sarcastic, occasionally rash, and has a bit of a bender envy, and so forth. In the movie, the characters had little to no personality, they were just archetypes. The actors put no emotion or effort into their acting. Katara and Sokka seemed like they didn't even need to be there, Aang was just bland, Zuko and Iroh were the only ones who were slightly believable, and even they seemed like they were studying the script. Zhao seemed like he was performing a comedic skit without the comedy.

Script: I guess all my issues with this movie can be attributed to the "writing" of M. Night Shyamalan. The script was just plain terrible, so the actors didn't have much to work with. Allah have mercy, Shyamalan should not be allowed to make movies unless he hires people who know how to write a script.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
07-02-2010, 05:05 PM
:lol: interesting -- Boaz I was just asking your whereabouts yesterday .. how is your health?

peace

Darth Ultor
07-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm good. Just enjoying the sun.

Darth Ultor
07-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Well, he can still redeem himself with the last two movies.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Maryan0
07-03-2010, 03:00 AM
My younger siblings are wanting to watch this. They loved the cartoon. :hmm:
Salam

Darth Ultor
07-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Tell them to do themselves a big favor and stay away from this awful film. Never watch anything made by M. Night Shyamalan.

Maryan0
07-03-2010, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
Tell them to do themselves a big favor and stay away from this awful film. Never watch anything made by M. Night Shyamalan.
I actually liked The Village. They're going to want to watch it either way I dont think kids care too much about dialogue more action and fighting.
Salam

Darth Ultor
07-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Tell them it grossly violates the show.

Sawdah
07-03-2010, 01:16 PM
According to Rotten Tomatoes, this movie was a big fail (8%).

Read the reviews: http://beta.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Oh how geeky :-\

Ramadhan
07-03-2010, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
I totally agree.

Sixth sense was the first and last good movie he made.
Unbreakable was ok, but the rest are garbage.

Zafran
07-03-2010, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I totally agree.

Sixth sense was the first and last good movie he made.
Unbreakable was ok, but the rest are garbage.
I agree with you - 6th sense was his best - he seems like a one hit wonder.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!