/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ~ Do you work?! ~

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum . . . .

Okay this Q may be personal, but you dont have to say, i was just wondering

Is working Depressing? Do you encounter any haraam situations whilst on your geeky work placement? What type of Environment do you work in? for example,a happy,sad,boring,depressing etc (sorry for the Geeky Q)

Does anyone enjoy working? Is it something you look forward to every day? lol
Do you work in a non-muslim environment? And do you give Dawah? Do you pray at work? Is your boss nice enough to let you pray? InshaAllaah just curious if it has offended anyone i apologise and you may just ignore this thread.

Anyway the purpous is to know whether we live our lives doing nothing beneficial or we do something to please Allaah. Being nice to people, giving salaam to your sisters/brothers on the street , i mean sister to sister and brother to brother.

What i mean to say is that we can go to work everyday and remain there for ages and consuming time up, but are we doing anything to benefit ourselves for the Dunya and the hereafter?

I want to know what you think we should do while were out, ways of giving dawah etc, and it doesnt have to be related to only work, it could be anywhere like go shopping, for a walk err going to school, Uni etc etc.

if you think this thread is a waste of time feel free to ignore

Jazakallahu khaayr

I hope i made sense too InshaAllaah

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rhubarb Tart
07-03-2010, 09:54 PM
wa alaykum e-salam.

I work in mental hospital in women section. I love working there and I always wake up feeling good!!
Yes I deal with lots of unusual behaviour, but apart from that they are normal human beings with great personalities! I never get bored and I like the people that work there, they are thoughtful and great.
I often take my break when it is time for prayer. But I also inform them where I am and when it is near to prayer time just out of respect and consideration.

I dont think this thread is waste of time.

Scorpian
07-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I used to work in a clothes shop and omds i was so depressed and fed up.So i left, i felt like i was wasting my life,but a career i want to go into,i will love with a passion,fingers crossed i can do it.
And do on you sweet106,i have a mental illness and i have to visit the phsychiatrist,and there are some nice people with mental illnesses there,some strange,but nice people none the less.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Bump..just discovered this thread and would like to know more insha'Allaah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
05-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I am thankful to Allah (swt) that He has willed that I am employed doing something that I love to do.

YusufNoor
05-22-2011, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм
Aslaamu`Alaaykum . . . .

Is working Depressing? Do you encounter any haraam situations whilst on your geeky work placement? What type of Environment do you work in? for example,a happy,sad,boring,depressing etc (sorry for the Geeky Q)

i lost my job this month. we drove people to Dr appts, mental health appts. there are great people and not so great people. helping people is a joy though. sometimes you're alone with women, but i make 'em sit in back

Do you work in a non-muslim environment? And do you give Dawah? Do you pray at work? Is your boss nice enough to let you pray? InshaAllaah just curious if it has offended anyone i apologise and you may just ignore this thread.

as i said in another thread, i get the "are you Jewish?" question. ALOT. so i get to talk about Islam alot. in the longer days, it's easier to pray on time, sometimes at the Masjid even. i usually have all sorts of dvds with me, so i have given out many, many hundred.

Anyway the purpous is to know whether we live our lives doing nothing beneficial or we do something to please Allaah. Being nice to people, giving salaam to your sisters/brothers on the street , i mean sister to sister and brother to brother.

one way to explain the mission of Rasulullah is, "he came to perfect good manners, to enjoin good and forbid evil" i forget where i got that, but i use it quite frequently. the job i do is done by MANY Muslim brothers, so we see each other all day long. and i drink tea at Fatimah & Ali's restaurant.

What i mean to say is that we can go to work everyday and remain there for ages and consuming time up, but are we doing anything to benefit ourselves for the Dunya and the hereafter?

I want to know what you think we should do while were out, ways of giving dawah etc, and it doesnt have to be related to only work, it could be anywhere like go shopping, for a walk err going to school, Uni etc etc.

look like a Muslim, exhibit good manners and be very nice. people will like listening to you better.

Jazakallahu khaayr

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam
i'll be back to work soon, In Sha'a Allah, doing the same thing. i hope so. for many people, i am one of their favorite drivers [and for some, their favorite]

it's great work. won't get rich, but i can be happy and productive.

wa Salaam

tigerkhan
05-22-2011, 10:22 AM
And do you give Dawah?
alhumdulliah my assistant has growed full beard, 5 time salat, and from last week he start wearing cap/topi.

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-22-2011, 11:02 AM

Yes, work is depressing most of the times, however I thank Allah that at least he has blessed me with my first job in a BIG MNC. :) Working in a big company is not always easy...they put a lot of pressure on you. I encounter a lot of haraam situations. I work in an IT company, IBM (want my lotus notes/sametime ID? :p:) . The environment is depressing, melancholic. No social life...at all

Yes, sometimes I enjoy working but not all of the time. I dont look for anything...apart from skipping some work and have some free time in my office.

Do you work in a non-muslim environment? And do you give Dawah? Do you pray at work? Is your boss nice enough to let you pray?
I work in a non-Muslim environment. 90% of the people are non-Muslims. I dont do dawah. ------------------. --------------

InshaAllaah just curious if it has offended anyone i apologise and you may just ignore this thread.
It was nice sharing my work experience with you.

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-22-2011, 11:14 AM
The best thing is that we dont have any restrictions. I can use IB, FB, Youtube or even watch movies locally and no one would question me...

bintYahya
05-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Walaikum assalam,

I work as a nurse in an assisted living facility for intellectually challenged residents. There are some haraam situations but someone has to take care of those who aren't able to take care of themselves, right?

Actually working is an "anti-depressant" for me - mostly because I feel I'm important to someone and because I can act according to the values of Islam and thus show people the greatness of Islam, in sha Allah. It brings me great pleasure to work with a resident and give him/her what he/she deserves in terms of respect and all that - sometimes I watch other employees work and I get so sad. And of course, I start everything in the name of Allah, trying to seek His pleasure and be aware of the consequences of my actions on the Day of Judgment.

I work with a lot of women, so sometimes it's difficult because of all the gossip, backbiting and insults. Everyone else is non-Muslim and I have so many chances to give dawah - even if it's only what they see, how I behave and how I work. Sometimes they have questions and we do talk about Islam. I try to explain them the beauty of my deen and pray they find the truth.

I've had bad experiences so I'm very happy to say that others don't mind me being a Muslim, my hijab or my prayers - alhamdulillah. When I started, the feeling of being welcomed to this work place was absolutely amazing. Just the other day someone said she was a little surprised when she first saw me with a hijab because it's very uncommon here but now she doesn't even think about it. I believe I have made a good impression.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I am thankful to Allah (swt) that He has willed that I am employed doing something that I love to do.
Alhamdulilaah!

format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
i'll be back to work soon, In Sha'a Allah, doing the same thing. i hope so. for many people, i am one of their favorite drivers [and for some, their favorite]

it's great work. won't get rich, but i can be happy and productive.

wa Salaam
Insha'Allaah akhee, as long as its productive and beneficial towards oneself.

may Allaah make it easy for you and grant you happiness in this life and the hereafter Aameen

format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan

alhumdulliah my assistant has growed full beard, 5 time salat, and from last week he start wearing cap/topi.
masha'Allaah and Alhamdulilaah! may Allaah reward you for your effort akhee and grant you happiness in this life and the hereafter Aameen

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid

Yes, work is depressing most of the times, however I thank Allah that at least he has blessed me with my first job in a BIG MNC. :) Working in a big company is not always easy...they put a lot of pressure on you. I encounter a lot of haraam situations. I work in an IT company, IBM (want my lotus notes/sametime ID? :p:) . The environment is depressing, melancholic. No social life...at all

Yes, sometimes I enjoy working but not all of the time. I dont look for anything...apart from skipping some work and have some free time in my office.

I work in a non-Muslim environment. 90% of the people are non-Muslims. I dont do dawah. ------------------. --------------

It was nice sharing my work experience with you.
Jazakallaahu Khaayr

Seems like you dont enjoy your job very much , but i guess as long as we have Allaah by our side so we arent always bored. by remembering him and be happy of the blessings he has granted us. If you find it boring then try to make it not-boring, by smiling and continue to practice your deen..

may Allaah make your job enjoyable for you and grant you happiness in this life and the akhirah Aameen

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
The best thing is that we dont have any restrictions. I can use IB, FB, Youtube or even watch movies locally and no one would question me...
So you see you are having fun!

format_quote Originally Posted by bintYahya
Walaikum assalam,

I work as a nurse in an assisted living facility for intellectually challenged residents. There are some haraam situations but someone has to take care of those who aren't able to take care of themselves, right?

Actually working is an "anti-depressant" for me - mostly because I feel I'm important to someone and because I can act according to the values of Islam and thus show people the greatness of Islam, in sha Allah. It brings me great pleasure to work with a resident and give him/her what he/she deserves in terms of respect and all that - sometimes I watch other employees work and I get so sad. And of course, I start everything in the name of Allah, trying to seek His pleasure and be aware of the consequences of my actions on the Day of Judgment.

I work with a lot of women, so sometimes it's difficult because of all the gossip, backbiting and insults. Everyone else is non-Muslim and I have so many chances to give dawah - even if it's only what they see, how I behave and how I work. Sometimes they have questions and we do talk about Islam. I try to explain them the beauty of my deen and pray they find the truth.

I've had bad experiences so I'm very happy to say that others don't mind me being a Muslim, my hijab or my prayers - alhamdulillah. When I started, the feeling of being welcomed to this work place was absolutely amazing. Just the other day someone said she was a little surprised when she first saw me with a hijab because it's very uncommon here but now she doesn't even think about it. I believe I have made a good impression.
Masha'Allaah uktee, im glad to know that you enjoy your job.

may Allaah reward you for your effort and grant you happiness in this life and the akhirah Aameen

Maryan0
05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm a student and I work at a minimum wage job. Alhamdulilah that I have a job in a time many don't but I can't say i'm happy getting up at 5 to go to work in a place I don't like:raging:. I suppose I should be happy as this is not my career....
Salm

yas2010
05-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Salaam

I work and i have to admit its not a vocation but its halal way of earning, and i am able to pray on time, which is of paramount importance to me as the organisation has two dedicated 'mosques'.
The clique 'going to the bar' doesnt really affect me as i have worked there nearly 10 years (always have wore the hijab) and colleagues know not to ask. :)

My way of giving Dawah is to be the best muslims i can be and strive to become better. InshaAllah

Cabdullahi
05-22-2011, 09:24 PM
i have no job so for those who work, the brothers and sisters, can you wire me the monies to my bank account as soon as they open your local building society

May god be with you

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-22-2011, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maryan0
I'm a student and I work at a minimum wage job. Alhamdulilah that I have a job in a time many don't but I can't say i'm happy getting up at 5 to go to work in a place I don't like:raging:. I suppose I should be happy as this is not my career....
Salm
format_quote Originally Posted by yas2010
Salaam

Atleast it helps you with Fajr by getting up early alhamdulilaah : D

I work and i have to admit its not a vocation but its halal way of earning, and i am able to pray on time, which is of paramount importance to me as the organisation has two dedicated 'mosques'.
The clique 'going to the bar' doesnt really affect me as i have worked there nearly 10 years (always have wore the hijab) and colleagues know not to ask. :)

My way of giving Dawah is to be the best muslims i can be and strive to become better. InshaAllah
alhamdulilaah that is a halal way of earning, what more can you want? and to pray on time even! masha'Allaah

format_quote Originally Posted by thequietone
i have no job so for those who work, the brothers and sisters, can you wire me the monies to my bank account as soon as they open your local building society

May god be with you
may Allaah be with you too Ameen

lol akhee what do you mean by 'your local building society'? the your? does that mean me? i hope not :\

Cabdullahi
05-22-2011, 09:48 PM

lol akhee what do you mean by 'your local building society'? the your? does that mean me? i hope not :\
Madame, it means that whoever is in full time paid work they should wire me the monies directly, it must be paid work i don't want anything to do with voluntary 'slave' workers

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Madame, it means that whoever is in full time paid work they should wire me the monies directly, it must be paid work i don't want anything to do with voluntary 'slave' workers
But akhee this thread is about those who work not those who are voluntary workers :-\

khaayr i think im confusing myself

"wire you with the monies" :-\

Cabdullahi
05-22-2011, 09:57 PM

But akhee this thread is about those who work not those who are voluntary workers :-\

khaayr i think im confusing myself

"wire you with the monies" :-\
basically madame whatever monies you earn weekly you send a small amount to me , it is as simple as that

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-22-2011, 09:59 PM
^oh okay jazakallaahu Khaayr..

i hope the members can help you out insha'Allaah

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM

May god be with you
Give me your bank details. :p:

Considering
05-23-2011, 11:39 PM
I work in information technology, which is both a blessing and a curse.

On the one hand, it is very nearly a meritocracy, it pays well, and it is very accepting.

On the other hand, it is a meritocracy, it pays well, and it is very accepting :-)

I mean these are good and bad.

As a meritocracy, it requires constant reinvestment in one's education to stay current and competitive.

Since it pays well, everyone is attracted to it, which means there's a lot of people who are underqualified vs. what they claim they can do.

The IT world (at least in the US) is very accepting and diverse. I work with people from many different parts of the world. I fact, the only Muslims I have met in the U.S. have been in IT (and generally Indo-Pak). While I like this, the flip side is that there are many freaks, weirdos, and moral degenerates.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
^yes i agree there are many freaks out there ,unfortunately..

Thank you for sharing and it seems 'Meritocrocay' is something to do with reinvestment in ones education to remain current and competitive..

.. peace ..

ardianto
05-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Slave ?. Is voluntary worker slave ?.

Don't you know bro ?, voluntary work can increase your "CV value"

I tell you a reality. If in a job interview, the interviewer asks you
"When was you graduated ?"
"2009" you answer.
"And what was your activity in this last two years ?"
"Stayed at home, sir"
Your application will be ended in the garbage bin.

But if you tell the interviewer you worked as voluntary worker, he can gives you that job because he knows you have motivation to work, and you have working experience.

Riana17
05-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum . . . .

Jazakallahu khaayr

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam
salam to you
YES YOUR QUESTION MAKES ALOT OF SENSE BCOZ PEOPLE WORKING like me spends most of their time at work 8/day
since i came back on vacation i appreciate my company more than before, as in other countries they have to travel 4hrs to work and work for another 10hrs, feel sad for them

1st 99% of people around are nice, I mean there is no jealousy or politics and everyone minds their own business
my boss recently decided to give a prayer room for women at our floor- May Allah be pleased with him
there are many Christians around us & seems very peaceful , i use to greet them with salam after seeing in Islam channel that I will be blessed when i greet people with salam,
I am running 8yrs here (i started at age of 17) and I cant imagine myself to be in other company - May Allah bless me with this job for many more years
yes so im pretty happy & stable with my job - alhamdollelah rabil alamin

On top of that, my husband & I are having a litte business which keeps us busy - bcoz of this business I could send my brother to open heart surgery - Allah is very generous to us

thanks for the post, bcoz of your question i could recall the blessings, alhamdollelah rabil alameen, Allah never leave us hangry

Riana17
05-26-2011, 08:14 PM
basically madame whatever monies you earn weekly you send a small amount to me , it is as simple as that

if you are serious, i want to look for dignity:exhausted

Who Am I?
05-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Actually, this is relative to one of the questions I have about Islam. Is it necessary to pray while at work? As a Christian, I don't normally pray at work because I can't always just put the phone down (if I am on a call) and start praying.

Also, what if you have a full-time job and can't always attend juma salaat (I think that is how you say it)? I would not be able to attend most of the time due to my job and the fact that I don't have a lot of time off. Are the Friday prayers mandatory, or is it like attending a church where you go whenever you can/feel like it?

Re.TiReD
05-26-2011, 08:43 PM
]Aslaamu`Alaaykum . . . .
Wa'alaykum as-salam

No :p No :p happpyyyy :D alhamdulillah

I loooveeee itttttt alhamdulillah :D I just didnt love it today coz I'm sick and when you're sick everything irritates you that bit extra :skeleton: :embarrass

Muslim environment alhamdulillah, yes yes and yes :D

Yes we are if we're doing something beneficial and if we're working to provide for our families and loved ones then there's benefit and blessing in that too insha'Allah

Wear Hijab when you go out, greet everybody with a mahoosive grin and offer assistance to people, especially older people.

A thread isnt a success if it isnt a waste of time :p

Jazakallahu khaayr
BarakAlalh feeki :p

Yeah you did :p

Riana17
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
Actually, this is relative to one of the questions I have about Islam. Is it necessary to pray while at work? As a Christian, I don't normally pray at work because I can't always just put the phone down (if I am on a call) and start praying.

Also, what if you have a full-time job and can't always attend juma salaat (I think that is how you say it)? I would not be able to attend most of the time due to my job and the fact that I don't have a lot of time off. Are the Friday prayers mandatory, or is it like attending a church where you go whenever you can/feel like it?

well it is obligatory to pray 5times/day, it is one of the pillars of Islam

1st u have to see the benefits of praying
everytime we pray, inshallah the previous sins will be forgiven by Allah

2nd thing
we are reminded 5times daily to avoid committing sins

3rd thing
praying is not taking time as you think bro
if you will do the obligation it takes 2-3mins each prayer

Salatul Jumma is obligatory for men, and its not the exact word but Allah commanded to stop whatever you are doing and even close your business for few hours to attend this congretional (spell right?)
if you are unable (well justified) its okay u can pray at work/home
my husband missed his salatul jumaa once in his lifetime only when we visited manila, there is no mosque at all
so all muslims regardless of work, must pray 5times daily.. this is rule to live by, if we create ours then this religion will be broken soon enough

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by andrea17
salam to you
YES YOUR QUESTION MAKES ALOT OF SENSE BCOZ PEOPLE WORKING like me spends most of their time at work 8/day
since i came back on vacation i appreciate my company more than before, as in other countries they have to travel 4hrs to work and work for another 10hrs, feel sad for them

1st 99% of people around are nice, I mean there is no jealousy or politics and everyone minds their own business
my boss recently decided to give a prayer room for women at our floor- May Allah be pleased with him
there are many Christians around us & seems very peaceful , i use to greet them with salam after seeing in Islam channel that I will be blessed when i greet people with salam,
I am running 8yrs here (i started at age of 17) and I cant imagine myself to be in other company - May Allah bless me with this job for many more years
yes so im pretty happy & stable with my job - alhamdollelah rabil alamin

On top of that, my husband & I are having a litte business which keeps us busy - bcoz of this business I could send my brother to open heart surgery - Allah is very generous to us

thanks for the post, bcoz of your question i could recall the blessings, alhamdollelah rabil alameen, Allah never leave us hangry
Alhamdulilaah uktee, jazakallaahu Khaayr for contributing ,i appreciate it a lot.

Yes it is necessary to pray whilst work, you would be suprised how important salaah is for a muslim who practices his faith, and it only requires like 5 minutes or more.. and how easy it is..now im getting the impression that maybe your thinking if someone is in danger we should just go pray, this is not how it works, one would help, in other words if out necessity one could not pray then he must pray that prayer later in the day..there is a hadeeth regarding this,i just cant remember the references to it, where the prophet pbuh began to pray and he had to stop the salaah because a baby was crying, he couldnt bare it so attended to it. I hope someone can post up the hadeeth..

Islaam is a complete way of life, everything we do is for the pleasure of the allmighty Allaah. And all he wants of us a few minutes of worship, can we not do that, sacrifice that? In comparison to what he has given us? You would be amazed of the blessings that he has bestowed upon us, and another thing Allaah will not benefit from our prayer but it is for our own best.

You see when one prays it teaches him many things, how to lower ones gaze, how to remain away from sins and much more..and also of that which we do not know or cannot see, this however, may be difficult to understand in the beginning but surely time will catch on..

If you have a full time job, then it would be required of you to ask the boss/manager for permission to let you go pray on the friday.. I remember the boys in my school days would be granted permission to take a day off on friday, though not all went to pray :\

format_quote Originally Posted by ...FLaWeD...
Wa'alaykum as-salam

No :p No :p happpyyyy :D alhamdulillah

I loooveeee itttttt alhamdulillah :D I just didnt love it today coz I'm sick and when you're sick everything irritates you that bit extra :skeleton: :embarrass

Muslim environment alhamdulillah, yes yes and yes :D

Yes we are if we're doing something beneficial and if we're working to provide for our families and loved ones then there's benefit and blessing in that too insha'Allah

Wear Hijab when you go out, greet everybody with a mahoosive grin and offer assistance to people, especially older people.

A thread isnt a success if it isnt a waste of time :p

BarakAlalh feeki :p

Yeah you did :p
Wa feeki uktee..your post was awesome!

Jazakallaahu khaayr for sharing..

YusufNoor
05-26-2011, 11:05 PM

you plan ahead, kind of like a lunch break. you INTENTIONALLY plan for it. just think, in order to get to Jannah, the rent is 5 prayers a day. would you pass on Jannah, ETERNAL happiness, because you didn't want to devote an hour a day to God? seems kind of silly, eh?

:sl:

when you become a Muslim, you DECLARE your Shahada, La Ilaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasulullah. for your job, you DECLARE, i MUST attend Jumu'aaah Salaat! i did it and it was really odd cuz i went to see the owner of the company AFTER his brother told me not to. the brother said he would cover for. oddly before i told him WHY i needed the extra time off of Fridays, he assumed it was for an illicit love affair! :phew

the owners first words when i walked in the door...."you're Jewish, right?" [i get this question so much that it isn't funny. well, actually it IS a little funny ;D] i was like, actually, that's what i'm here to talk about!

and no, for a Muslim, prayer NEVER just when you feel like. it is OBLIGATORY! personally, i think it helps!

consider:

are you gonna now be a crappy employee? NO, you are Allah's representative at the job!

are you gonna be dishonest? NO, you are Allah's representative at the job!

are you gonna steal? NO, you are Allah's representative at the job!

are you gonna have an affair with someone at the office? NO, you are Allah's representative at the job!

eventually, In Sha'a Allah, your boss will wondering how he can get some MORE Muslims working for him!

does this make sense?

wa Salaam

Who Am I?
05-27-2011, 12:27 AM
OK, that answers that question clearly. Thanks to all who replied. Like you said, you devote a few minutes a day to pray and the rest is your time. If more Christians prayed like Muslims do, this world might be a better place. I know I don't pray nearly as often as I should.

It seems like Islam is full of ritual and discipline, and I kind of like that. Discipline is one thing I have been lacking in my life. I struggle with a lot of things because I am lazy and just don't care anymore. I need to get away from that. Inshallah, I can do it...

MustafaMc
05-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Is it necessary to pray while at work?
I will speak from my perspective and I do not intend to mislead you or to contradict anyone who has already written. As a Muslim I am required to pray 5 times a day. The times for prayer are 1) fajr from about 1.5 hours before sunrise until immediately before sunrise, 2) zuhr - from immediately after zenith of sun at mid day until about half the time until sunset, 3) asr from about half the time between noon and sunset until sunset, 4) maghrib from immediately after sunset until about 1.5 hours after sunset, 5) isha from about 1.5 hours after sunset until midnight. My understanding is that we have a window open for us to make each salah although it is much better to pray all prayers at their earliest time. It takes perhaps 5 min to make wudu and then another 5 for salah.
According to the Shafi'i madhab it is obligatory to attend 2-rakat Jumu'ah salah on Friday noon if there are 40 Muslim men in the city to make Jumu'ah, else one would pray the standard 4-rakat zuhr salah. I too am very busy with my work in USA and have difficulty getting away for 2 hours (45 mile one-way drive) on Friday. I make Jumu'ah as much as I can, but am embarassed to say how often I miss it. It is better to be a Muslim who is imperfect in his salah than to be a kafir who never reads salah.

Who Am I?
05-27-2011, 02:25 AM
I will speak from my perspective and I do not intend to mislead you or to contradict anyone who has already written. As a Muslim I am required to pray 5 times a day. The times for prayer are 1) fajr from about 1.5 hours before sunrise until immediately before sunrise, 2) zuhr - from immediately after zenith of sun at mid day until about half the time until sunset, 3) asr from about half the time between noon and sunset until sunset, 4) maghrib from immediately after sunset until about 1.5 hours after sunset, 5) isha from about 1.5 hours after sunset until midnight. My understanding is that we have a window open for us to make each salah although it is much better to pray all prayers at their earliest time. It takes perhaps 5 min to make wudu and then another 5 for salah.According to the Shafi'i madhab it is obligatory to attend 2-rakat Jumu'ah salah on Friday noon if there are 40 Muslim men in the city to make Jumu'ah, else one would pray the standard 4-rakat zuhr salah. I too am very busy with my work in USA and have difficulty getting away for 2 hours (45 mile one-way drive) on Friday. I make Jumu'ah as much as I can, but am embarassed to say how often I miss it. It is better to be a Muslim who is imperfect in his salah than to be a kafir who never reads salah.
Thanks for the reply. I have been going over in my mind how I would be able to fulfill my obligations and still perform at my job adequately. I'll come up with something if I have to.

Riana17
05-27-2011, 07:45 AM
OK, that answers that question clearly. Thanks to all who replied. Like you said, you devote a few minutes a day to pray and the rest is your time. If more Christians prayed like Muslims do, this world might be a better place. I know I don't pray nearly as often as I should.

It seems like Islam is full of ritual and discipline, and I kind of like that. Discipline is one thing I have been lacking in my life. I struggle with a lot of things because I am lazy and just don't care anymore. I need to get away from that. Inshallah, I can do it...
i like that
lazy lazy lazy
I am like u before and noww (a bit)
u see brother, there is nothing called gradual change in discipline
i am muslim for almost a year now but the gradual change is not there
we all need to experience the process

bet u were better than me coz i prayed or visit the church once in 3years,, i guess
but now alhamdollelah i am performing my daily prayers altho i feel it is being delayed

the morning prayer normally is from 5am to 1130 (here)
i know i must wake up early to pray but since i am waking up at 6 to go to work, i end up praying 630am
i know thats not harram (forbidden or bad) but i feel i should pray earlier as it will increase my faith

i hope u understand my point regardless of my writing
salam

MustafaMc
05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have been going over in my mind how I would be able to fulfill my obligations and still perform at my job adequately. I'll come up with something if I have to.
It seems that you already see the Truth of Islam and that the practice of the Islamic faith is holding you up. I encourage you to declare your faith and to practice it gradually to the extent that you can. As your faith grows, so also will be your desire to apply it more. I look forward to the day I can welcome you into the Islamic faith.

Who Am I?
05-27-2011, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by andrea17
i like that
lazy lazy lazy
I am like u before and noww (a bit)
u see brother, there is nothing called gradual change in discipline
i am muslim for almost a year now but the gradual change is not there
we all need to experience the process

bet u were better than me coz i prayed or visit the church once in 3years,, i guess
but now alhamdollelah i am performing my daily prayers altho i feel it is being delayed

the morning prayer normally is from 5am to 1130 (here)
i know i must wake up early to pray but since i am waking up at 6 to go to work, i end up praying 630am
i know thats not harram (forbidden or bad) but i feel i should pray earlier as it will increase my faith

i hope u understand my point regardless of my writing
salam
Until a couple of weeks ago, I had not set foot in a church in 10 years at least. As far as prayer, I would only pray when things were bad and I needed something (like a lot of other Christians I know). That is something I am trying to work on, but it's not easy for me.

It seems that you already see the Truth of Islam and that the practice of the Islamic faith is holding you up. I encourage you to declare your faith and to practice it gradually to the extent that you can. As your faith grows, so also will be your desire to apply it more. I look forward to the day I can welcome you into the Islamic faith.
Well I am going to a local masjid next week to speak to the brothers there and see how comfortable I feel (and how comfortable they are with me). That will have a big impact on what I decide to do...

Riana17
05-29-2011, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

You are in for a wildride. Br thequietone jokes a lot and his humour is very dry and often makes people squirm for those not used to that kind of joke and can be seen as tasteless.
with all due respect sir, i cant call any of his statement a "joke" when it isnt funny

~ Sabr ~
05-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Working is better than staying at home. ANYDAY.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!