/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non Muslim wanting to go to a Mosque

Scorpian
07-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi all
So as i said in my intro,i`m close to being a muslim,and i want to visit my local mosque to see if islam is for me, but i have a few questions.
Do mosques allow non muslim in the mosque?
Do i have to were anything specific?
Is there anything important i should do there?

cheers

Scorp

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
07-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Greetings Carl,

Yes non-Muslims are allowed in mosques to see what happens there, witness the prayer, and ask questions etc, but it is best for you to contact the mosque first to arrange a good time for you to go, otherwise you may end up unknowingly going at one of the compulsory prayer times, and no-one might be available then to talk to you. And some mosques keep doors locked at off-peak times for security reasons. So do please ring them before you go.

As to what to wear, wear modest, conservative, loose fitting clothing - this means:

• Long sleeves - no transparent clothing, beachwear or tight clothing.
  • Trousers, no shorts.
  • No transparent (see-through) clothing
  • With regards to shoes you will have to remove them in certain specific areas around the mosque, such as outside the prayer room.

The only other important thing to do, is to ask lots of questions!

Peace.

glo
07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I have visited our local mosque without any problems, Carl.

ruk
07-07-2010, 06:33 AM
In the Name of Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

I encourage you to find a Sunni Masjid (mosque) that is large and run professionally and not necessarily a small "home" type of setting that is used as a place of worship.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kite runner
07-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Good advise ruk. I agree it is good to ring them before you go and arrange a time. I think insane insaan explaned everything well. Let us know how it went :D

Scorpian
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kite runner
Good advise ruk. I agree it is good to ring them before you go and arrange a time. I think insane insaan explaned everything well. Let us know how it went :D
I went down, and it went great tbh.My nerves were going hehe,but i felt like one of those people on tv who explore another culture/country, and i was really surprised by how nice eveyrone was.I talked to this bloke who guided me in, i stood in the back while they preyed,and about 6-8 people came up to me, without even knowing i wasi nteresting in islam(i could be anybody) yet they shook my hand and said salaam(think i spelt it right).I felt at home in there,i felt abit out of place at first, cause i was the only white dude there(not meant in a racist way).But yer i was talking to the bloke and he introduced me to a view people,and i was meant to be meeting a guy today,but i cancelled because mediumship is evil in the eyes of islam.
I talked to him and said about i was supprised by the bad press it got.TBH it is more nice in there and "my brothers" where more friendly and nice in there then they are in a church.
The bloke gave me a lift home, and we got talking, about the extemist and how i hate them so much,because they make it so hard for people like me,and he agreed.
So overall it was good.I also feel in love with the actually preying area it hard a bit like dome thing and i thought it was awesome.
Shame i can`t be a muslim though.I know back to not bothering with religions,i belive in god etc but islam is the only religion left for me/i`d like but i can`t do it.

kite runner
07-08-2010, 07:17 PM
why can't you do it? i thought the exact same thing, i was afraid of what my family would think, i was saying "they would never sccept me" but then someone told me its between you and Allah. If you become a muslim you don't have to tell everyone, and until you get the strength to tell people study your religion :D only about 4 people know that I'm muslim and only 1 is in my family so it isn't hard :D don't hold back Islam is perfect

Yahya4D
07-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes, there are a few things to address, I would touch base with an imaam prior to your visit. Yes, it is great to have non-Muslims to visit if they are truly curious and will show earnest attention to learn.

What you should consider on what to wear:

1.Pants, you can wear shorts but they have to be past the knees...wear pants to be safe
2.No gold rings neither necklaces. If you have piercings, take them off. If you truly convert, you wont need such jewelry, definitely wont have piercings and only wear a SILVER ring if your married.
3.Descent size shirt in case you commit to a prayer, nothing too short nor too tight to where your back is exposed when bowing.
4.If your a female or taking a female, you/your female friend can ONLY go on the women side. ITS IMPORTANT TO ASK Imaam first because the potential sister will need to cover her head with a scarf, also known as hijaab. Women dress code slightly different and MUST NOT EXPOSE her body only to a minimum such as hands and face. NO SKIRTS,DRESSES or tight clothing.

Its important to let the Imaam know because they could just give you a chair, you can sit at the side if not in the back and watch the prayer. After wards, the Imaam would love to explain what you saw. He would give you information such as books,web links, ask for your email and provide further information to get you started on praying if your that interested. Most of the time after Juma, there are evening gathering that teach and bring awareness to spread good deeds to other brothers and sisters.

Again, call first, make sure the masjid is a good sized establishment to get to learn from vast majority instead of a small cluster. Hope this helps and hope you do find Islam to be as fantastic as we do.

Peace be with you,

Yahya

Rabi'ya
07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya4D
4.If your a female or taking a female, you/your female friend can ONLY go on the women side. ITS IMPORTANT TO ASK Imaam first because the potential sister will need to cover her head with a scarf, also known as hijaab. Women dress code slightly different and MUST NOT EXPOSE her body only to a minimum such as hands and face. NO SKIRTS,DRESSES or tight clothing

Peace be with you,

Yahya

:sl:

You should edit this to say no SHORT skirts or dresses. anything to the ankle is fine, no?

Yahya4D
07-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Yes your right. No SHORT dresses/skirts...I do not meant to not wear clothing at all. Thanks for catching that sister. Imagine someone showing up in such confusion...that would be a great disturbance.

---

Salam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!