/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tyson to perform Umrah!

imam bukhari
07-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson holds talks with Dr. Muhammad Al-Oqala, president of the Islamic University in Madinah. (AN photo by Yousuf Muhammad)

By YOUSUF MUHAMMAD | ARAB NEWS

Published: Jul 4, 2010 23:32 Updated: Jul 5, 2010 01:18

MADINAH: Former boxing champion Mike Tyson, who embraced Islam while serving a prison sentence in the 1990s, is on his first visit to the Kingdom to perform Umrah. He arrived in the holy city of Madinah on Friday to perform prayers at the Prophet’s Mosque.

While in Madinah, Tyson met Dr. Muhammad Al-Oqala, president of the Islamic University, who briefed the world heavyweight champion on the services being rendered by the university to students from across the world.

From Madinah, Tyson will travel on to Makkah to perform Umrah, press reports said. He will also visit Jeddah, Abha and Riyadh as part of his Saudi tour. His visit to Saudi Arabia was arranged by the Canadian Dawa Association (CDA) as part of visits it organizes for new Muslim celebrities to the Islamic sites in the Kingdom. Shazad Mohammed, president of CDA, was present at Prince Muhammad International Airport in Madinah to receive Tyson.

Mohammed, an ambassador of peace with the United Nations, said Tyson would be in the Kingdom for one week, visiting the holy places as well as important landmarks in the country and meeting with Saudi people to get to know their culture and traditions.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article78669.ece

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
07-06-2010, 11:31 AM
good to hear that. May Allah make his Imaan firm and steadfast.

It's also amusing to see Tyson in Islamic clothes :)

M..x
07-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Tyson is officially one of my favourite sport personalities. Nice one dude, May Allah accept his prayers and keep his iman going strong. Ameen

brotherubaid
07-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Please make dua brothers n sisters that our brother mike tyson can benefit from this umrah trip and that it changes his life around , he has had good compmany in the past , i knwo for a fact that our brother Mutah shabaaz beale " Napoleon" Has been trying with him for quiet some years now and Alhumdolillah the effects are showing , Mutah has known him since tupac days and r good freinds.

Mike Tyson has arrived in Madinah with the Canadian Dawa Association for the umrah

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-...eport-1.649575

Riyadh: Former boxing champion Mike Tyson, who converted to Islam while in jail in the 1990s, is visiting the Muslim holy cities of Makkah and Madinah on pilgrimage, a Saudi daily reported on Saturday.

Tyson, who was world heavyweight champion from 1986 to 1990, arrived on Friday in Medina with the Canadian Dawa Association for the umrah, or minor pilgrimage, the newspaper Okaz said.

From Medina he will travel on to Makkah and also plans to visit other Saudi cities, it reported.

Tyson, 44, converted to Islam while serving a 10-year prison sentence, later commuted to three years, for raping a US beauty queen in 1991.

After prison he attempted a comeback, but was never able to regain his title and finally gave up professional boxing in 2005.

Last January, he took part in a WWE Raw pro wrestling event in the United States."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyson does have a really good heart and a soft spot believe it or not , lets hope this trip benefits him and he can get back to be with and around good brothers and keep good company , coz keeping good company has helped a lot of people , even famous people like loon from bad boy now know as amir muhadith junaid and freeway n all.Hope he can get back n connect with brothers like abu yusuf khaleefah and fareed abdullah n other callers n students of knowledge in the west so he can benefit.

May Allah forgive him n reward him n bless him.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimahhhh
07-06-2010, 11:26 PM
^Ameen to the dua.

cat eyes
07-07-2010, 12:08 AM
subhanAllah

I saw interview with him on oprah. he was sincere and honest about his life and how he changed his ways

Alhamdulilah for guiding him

Rabi Mansur
07-07-2010, 12:40 AM
:sl:

I find it amazing what changes can come upon a person through accepting Islam. Mike Tyson, amazing.

IslamicRevival
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
One of the greatest boxers ever. SubhanAllah. Allah Azzawajal guides whom he wills.

Darth Ultor
07-07-2010, 01:16 AM
He's a Muslim? I never knew that.

Woodrow
07-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Was I mistaken. I knew he had converted while in prison in the 1990s but I was under the Impression he had converted to NOI. Truly wonderful that he had the opportunity to have found Islam and was not misled by the NOI. Subhan Allaah(swt)

Darth Ultor
07-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Off topic, but doesn't Farrakhan say that he is a prophet? How can a Muslim claim that there were any prophets after Muhammad?

Rhubarb Tart
07-07-2010, 02:12 AM
You are right woodrow. He said he reverted to Islam via NOI after he was convicted of rape. And he hasnt changed since then either but I think he might have now. Maybe this time he was reverted to the true Islam. Maybe....

Trumble
07-07-2010, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brotherubaid
After prison he attempted a comeback, but was never able to regain his title and finally gave up professional boxing in 2005.
Erm.. Tyson actually won both the WBA and WBC titles after his release, before losing the first to Holyfield and vacating the second.

Sorry, was a serious boxing fan in my younger days...

Woodrow
07-07-2010, 02:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
Off topic, but doesn't Farrakhan say that he is a prophet? How can a Muslim claim that there were any prophets after Muhammad?
Farrakhan is leader of the NOI (Nation of Islam) they do not follow Islam and it is a United States born religion founded by Elijah Muhammad. From the "Official" NOI web site:

On July the Fourth, the day of America's Independence celebration, He announced the beginning of His mission which was to restore and to resurrect His lost and found people, who were identified as the original members of the Tribe of Shabazz from the Lost Nation of Asia. The lost people of the original nation of African descent, were captured, exploited, and dehumanized to serve as servitude slaves of America for over three centuries. His mission was to teach the downtrodden and defenseless Black people a thorough Knowledge of God and of themselves, and to put them on the road to Self-Independence with a superior culture and higher civilization than they had previously experienced.

He taught us the ways of love and peace, of truth and beauty. We are being led into the path of a new spiritual culture and civilization of complete harmony and peace, one of refinement in the pursuit of happiness and eternal joy in the Supreme Knowledge of God and the Science of everything in life.

IN 1931, THE MASTER WAS preaching this Great Truth of salvation when He met a man named Elijah Poole in Detroit, Michigan. He chose him to be His Divine Representative in continuing this most difficult task of bringing truth and light to His lost and found people. For 3 1/2 years He taught and trained the Honorable Elijah Muhammad night and day into the profound Secret Wisdom of the Reality of God, which included the hidden knowledge of the original people who were the first founders of civilization of our Planet and who had a full knowledge of the Universal Order of Things from the beginning of the Divine Creation.
The NOI call themselves Muslims, they call their holy book the Koran, they call their places of worship Mosques and they call themselves Muslim.

But, they are not following Islam

They do have a very powerfully prison ministry in virtually all of the US prisons and many converts come from this prison ministry. Sadly the adherents do believe they are Muslim and many have gone on Hajj professing to be Muslim. A few such as MalcolmX (a great man) did discover they were not following Islam when on Hajj and reverted to Islam after learning the truth.

Darth Ultor
07-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Malcolm X is truly a great man. So was Muhammad Ali. I find that a lot of people who return from the Hajj look at the world differently. Have you done it yet, Woodrow?

Ramadhan
07-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Subhanallah!

I am loving this kind of news where a person changed so much after receiving hidayah from Allah SWT.
It resonates with my personal experiences and I can definitely identify with it.

Woodrow
07-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Malcolm X is truly a great man. So was Muhammad Ali. I find that a lot of people who return from the Hajj look at the world differently. Have you done it yet, Woodrow?
Sadly I have never made Hajj. I was in Mecca about 40 years ago, long before I had reverted and did not know non-Muslims were not supposed to be there.

I would like to go back for Hajj, but at this time it seems unlikely. Age and the time to obtain a visa are in a race to see if it can be a reality.

brotherubaid
07-07-2010, 09:55 AM
May Allah make it easy for you , i hope you can go for hajj soon bro.

aadil77
07-07-2010, 09:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Sadly I have never made Hajj. I was in Mecca about 40 years ago, long before I had reverted and did not know non-Muslims were not supposed to be there.

I would like to go back for Hajj, but at this time it seems unlikely. Age and the time to obtain a visa are in a race to see if it can be a reality.
really? how did it feel being in makkah as a non-muslim?

Woodrow
07-07-2010, 11:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
really? how did it feel being in makkah as a non-muslim?
:sl:

You need to understand this was in the 1960s. I was in my early 20s and had very little knowledge of Islam except for what I was taught in comparative religion classes while a I was a seminary student. It was not during Hajj. The Taxi driver that was my guide did not point out the significance of anything except to tell me that all of the buildings were closed and I could not go into any. The city seemed to be deserted, in my eyes it looked like a large vacant plaza with very few people and no stores open. I was expecting the hustle and bustle like I saw in Riyadh and was disappointed in not finding anyplace to buy any souvenirs or even a post card. The ignorance of youth and the blindness of not being able to see beyond the visible.

I could not understand why Muslims had any desire to go to Makkah. To me it was a pretty city but empty and nothing of any attraction to a casual tourist.

Looking back I believe that Allaah(swt) did not allow me to see Makkah as a non-Muslim. I was there physically but could not see the real Makkah.

Predator
07-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Found some related pictures of Mike Tyson from his Umrah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGrp4hQXmc

Dagless
07-08-2010, 11:42 PM
MashAllah, I wish him the best. An amazing fighter, and he seems to have been through a lot of trials.
I wonder why it was not covered in western news :S

aadil77
07-08-2010, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
MashAllah, I wish him the best. An amazing fighter, and he seems to have been through a lot of trials.
I wonder why it was not covered in western news :S
he's been retired quite a while now, so you won't hear much about him, unless he gets into a fight at an airport lol

Dagless
07-09-2010, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
he's been retired quite a while now, so you won't hear much about him, unless he gets into a fight at an airport lol
They covered the death of his daughter last year, and when he was in trouble before that. He is still big news here. If not the BBC, I would expect AJE to cover it.

Rabi Mansur
07-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Found some related pictures of Mike Tyson from his Umrah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGrp4hQXmc
Thanks for posting that. This is a very interesting story. Isn't it amazing how Mike Tyson has "mellowed" as a result of Islam? I love stories like this.

:inshallah he has found true peace in his life.

:wa:

waji
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

why not you try for the Umarah in Ramadan
Just a month is left in Ramadan give it a try
May Allah make things easy for you Ameen

Darth Ultor
07-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Look for cheap tickets and good hotel deals. What time of year on the Gregorian calendar is the Hajj usually in?

Woodrow
07-09-2010, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by waji
why not you try for the Umarah in Ramadan
Just a month is left in Ramadan give it a try
May Allah make things easy for you Ameen

From what I am being told that for us in the USA that were born here there is a 3 to 5 year wait to get a Visa to Saudi for Hajj. I will check into that further. My son-in-law and I made plans to go 3 years ago, but I was not able to get a visa.Now I am close to the Canadian border, I may see what I can do about getting a Canadian Visa. We have been thinking seriously of getting Canadian citizenship if the "Republic of Lakotah" fails to gain recognition as a sovereign nation.

waji
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Have you tried getting visa from Canada or from any other country

About 5 years restriction i have heard is for those people who have performed Hajj once for second time they have to wait for 5 years and this restriction is also for people living in Saudia Arabia
But there is no restriction for Umarah.

Ramadhan
07-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Look for cheap tickets and good hotel deals. What time of year on the Gregorian calendar is the Hajj usually in?
Each country is given a certain quota for the number of hajj visa, which is proportional to the number of the country's total muslim population. Indonesia, for example, having the largest muslim population is given a maximum of around 200,000 hajj visas each year. Unfortunately, despite high cost of going hajj (for average Indonesians), there are alot more applicants than maximum quote each year, and hence many citizens are put on multiple years wait; I myself am now on a four year wait :(
Although, at least in Indonesia, there are also special hajj packages where you don't have to wait, but they are extraordinarily expensive.

Woodrow
07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I notice that Mike Tyson managed to get a Canadian Visa and came from out of Canada. I will try to contact the Canada Da'wah Association. They may be able to direct me to the right people. I know I will have to get clearance from my doctor showing I am physically able to travel. Although I feel fine, I have some health issues.

Inshallah, if Mike Tyson can do it, I can also.

I just finished reading a short biography 0n Brother Mike and according to his biography he did leave the NOI and has accepted Islam. Masha Allaah

Woodrow
07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
The Hijr calender is about 11 days shorter than the Gregorian calender. No months correspond with any Gregorian month as each year begins 11 days earlier each year than what it was in the previous year. Over a 12 year period Ramadan will occur at least partially in every Gregorian month. Ramadan will occur

Here is a Hijr date converter that may explain what I mean better.

http://www.rabiah.com/convert/

Put in your Birthday and convert it to the hijr date, for several different years.

Maryan0
07-11-2010, 05:51 AM
[QUOTE=Woodrow;1346405]From what I am being told that for us in the USA that were born here there is a 3 to 5 year wait to get a Visa to Saudi for Hajj. I will check into that further. My son-in-law and I made plans to go 3 years ago, but I was not able to get a visa.Now I am close to the Canadian border, I may see what I can do about getting a Canadian Visa. We have been thinking seriously of getting Canadian citizenship if the "Republic of Lakotah" fails to gain recognition as a sovereign nation. [QUOTE]

Was that ever a possibility? I dont see north America or any country where indigenous peoples were displaced by Europeans giving land to the first nations independent of their control?
Sala

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!