/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart stands up for muslims

Pygoscelis
07-10-2010, 04:00 AM
I was watching the Daily Show (as I often enjoy doing) and thought I'd point the part out to you guys where he's defending muslims and how Fox and right wing americans are unfairly singling them out. Its pretty funny too. Check it out. Skip to 3:30. http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/#clip322161

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
07-10-2010, 05:08 PM
video is not available in my region/country.

Zafran
07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
video is not available in my region/country.
salaam

I got that as well

peace

Rhubarb Tart
07-12-2010, 01:11 AM
ha I like Jon Stewart, he say it like how it is sometimes.

I particularly like him, when he mocked Nancy Grace, over her revolting behaviour when four innocent young men were accused of rape. Unfortunately I don’t watch his show as I don’t live in America and I can’t watch the video either like the above members.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
-Elle-
07-12-2010, 01:23 AM
LOL that made me laugh, especially when he goes "WHAT!? One of the tenants of Islam is to "Spread Islam?" That would be like if Christians went places...and built churches." hahahaha!

thanks for sharing.

glo
07-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Do you have to be in the US to watch the video?

Pygoscelis
07-12-2010, 05:46 PM
The is Canadian. I did not know it was restricted in some places. I would assume those in the US can view it, but then again I have run across US sites that don't let me (in Canada) watch their vids. Silly really to restrict what can be viewed based on where people live.

In this particular clip I think Stewart is right on the money. Christians who criticize Islam for "spreading the religion" are the height of hypocracy. And the ones who speak paranoia about sharia law taking over the USA are double hypocritical if they are also calling for creation instead of evolution in the class rooms and the ten commandments in court houses (which they usually are). I just love the way Stewart presented this though :) He's always good for a good laugh and I find myself agreeing with him more often than not.

Predator
07-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Found another link for the video here

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...-daniel-okrent

glo
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
^
The link says that the full shows are not available in the UK.

But at least I know what show we are talking about (and yes, Pygoscelis, my hubby does watch it on occasions).

I have found the link on Channel 4 on Demand, but I don't know which series and which programme it is from. Can anybody help?

Dagless
07-12-2010, 07:08 PM
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/t...rt/4od#3083958

glo
07-12-2010, 07:18 PM
^
That's done it. Thanks, dagless. :)

Alpha Dude
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
That was quite fair of him.

I think most American chat show hosts are too loud though. :exhausted

Muezzin
07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude

I think most American chat show hosts are too loud though. :exhausted
Volume control. Better than sliced bread.

Except you can't eat it.

glo
07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
We have to bear in mind though, that this kind of satirical news show is just as likely to ridicule and be critical of Islam. I wonder how long it would take to find a programme in which Jon Stewart presents Islam in a more negative light ...?

Alpha Dude
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
We have to bear in mind though, that this kind of satirical news show is just as likely to ridicule and be critical of Islam.
Yes. Hence why I said it was (only) fair of him. I held back from congratulating him for 'being such a good person' etc.

YusufNoor
07-14-2010, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Airforce
Found another link for the video here

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...-daniel-okrent
:sl:

thanks for the link Airforce, nice recon!;D

well, for those of you who actually watched the vid, Stewart is NOT, repeat NOT "standing up for Muslims!" he is bashing 1)Conservatives 2) Chritstians AND Muslims! [and any combination of those]

Stewart is a comedian AND a Jew and not any kind of supporter of Islam. when the panelist tries to explain that Islam DOES make allowances for other religions, Stewart makes a quip about "having a beer at Adam & Steve's wedding" guess who he's making fun of there!

i didn't say it wasn't funny, but it IS funny how you let your brain tell you want you want to hear instead of what was actually said.

:wa:

samzee
07-15-2010, 10:59 PM
It's like watching news with a laughter twist . always thought he was funny

Tyrion
07-16-2010, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
:sl:

thanks for the link Airforce, nice recon!;D

well, for those of you who actually watched the vid, Stewart is NOT, repeat NOT "standing up for Muslims!" he is bashing 1)Conservatives 2) Chritstians AND Muslims! [and any combination of those]

Stewart is a comedian AND a Jew and not any kind of supporter of Islam. when the panelist tries to explain that Islam DOES make allowances for other religions, Stewart makes a quip about "having a beer at Adam & Steve's wedding" guess who he's making fun of there!

i didn't say it wasn't funny, but it IS funny how you let your brain tell you want you want to hear instead of what was actually said.

:wa:
It's his job to make jokes about people, but I really don't think he's seriously bashing Muslims... Even if he did, I honestly don't think he's particularly against Islam in any way... I also don't know what his being a Jew has to do with anything... All he was doing in that clip was pointing out an example of unfairness, as the OP said...

Pygoscelis
07-16-2010, 05:04 AM
Actually the crack about Adam and Steve's wedding is not directed at muslims, and the panelist does not say Islam allows for other religions as you state. Go view it again. The panelist says that Islam is trying to push its views to force all us non-members to adhere to its tenets and the panelist then makes the silly claim that only Islam does that. Stewart points out the obvious untruth of that by pointing at how Christians have done the exact same thing - forbidding nonchristians from drinking and gay marriage etc. It is a crack at hypocracy, which is what Stewart does best. He is standing up for muslims in that he is pointing out that people are singling it out in an entirely hypocritical way.

That said, yes he has make fun of Islam, as he should, he's a comedian. But he's not done it in a distasteful or nasty way. The only time I've ever really seen him make fun of Islam is when he refuses to speak ill of it (ironically) with the undertone that muslims are hypersensitive and prone to attack when feeling slighted.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!