/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Derailing threads

h-n
07-11-2010, 05:11 PM
This has to be absolutely mentioned. Others of course would have received the same problem, I will talk from personal experience.

I have written many threads, and they have all been derailed -hardly or never has the first post been discussed. Frankly I didn't create a thread to discuss what someone else wants to talk about, but to talk about what I have written.

I am taking the time to write on Islamicboard, not taking the time to waste it.

If you go into a thread, DON'T change the topic to what you want to talk about and want it to be. You can of course create your own thread to do that. People also choose to go into particular threads to read on such and such not find out its about something else. What is the point of having different threads, we might as well have one big thread for everything!

I understand that derailments can happen anywhere, but I'm finding it ridiculous, how many times people are making the same mistake, over and over again, and instead of stopping when asked they keep at it. When they only need to create another thread.

This time if anyone posts a question which does not relate to the thread, I don't think I should be answering.

So this is a reminder not to derail threads.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Wahid
07-11-2010, 05:16 PM
:sl:

Couldn't agree more. I've been reading some threads and what you have said is true.

Even though I'm yet to contribute because I don't want to derail your thread. ;D

The problem is there are trolls at large and they will do their best to cause confusion.

h-n
07-11-2010, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Wahid
:sl:

Couldn't agree more. I've been reading some threads and what you have said is true.

Even though I'm yet to contribute because I don't want to derail your thread. ;D

The problem is there are trolls at large and they will do their best to cause confusion.
Thank-you, yes it is a big problem, seems to be happening to me a lot. LOL.

titus
07-11-2010, 05:43 PM
There is a difference between derailing a thread and disagreeing with a point made in the original post.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
h-n
07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
There is a difference between derailing a thread and disagreeing with a point made in the original post.
Your actually derailing a derailing thread. Re-read post 1.

Also you will definitely find that many of my threads have been derailed.

Even you titus on my "Non-Muslims and Islam", were you did not discuss post 1. We you did say that because of the title you could write what you wanted, were you showed you had not read the content.

Again you on "My intentions" thread, were you did not discuss post 1.

DO NOT DERAIL THIS THREAD AND ARGUE THOSE WERE NOT DERAILINGS. Go and create your own thread to explain.

glo
07-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Greetings, sister h-n

I find that many of your threads are statements, rather than topics for discussion. This thread is a case in point.

It's posted in a public forum, but as soon as people reply you feel that your thread is being derailed (no doubt you feel so right now).

Could it be that you don't want people to reply to your comments at all?
Or that you only want people to agree with your particular opinion?

If you have specific statements you want to post, without further discussion, perhaps you could ask the mods whether they would post it up as a 'sticky' and close it straight away? Just a suggestion.
That way there would be no risk of discussion or derailment.

h-n
07-11-2010, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greetings, sister h-n

I find that many of your threads are statements, rather than topics for discussion. This thread is a case in point.

It's posted in a public forum, but as soon as people reply you feel that your thread is being derailed (no doubt you feel so right now).

Could it be that you don't want people to reply to your comments at all?
Or that you only want people to agree with your particular opinion?

If you have specific statements you want to post, without further discussion, perhaps you could ask the mods whether they would post it up as a 'sticky' and close it straight away? Just a suggestion.
That way there would be no risk of discussion or derailment.
Your mentioned I "feel" that they are being derailed, when the proof is for all to see that they are actually being derailed. Then you mentioned that there is no room for discussion, which then still does not explain why people feel the need to post to derail.

I am here to share information, which is similar to how others also make threads. If people want to ask questions on the topic, that's fine, but that has definitely been few.

titus
07-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Your actually derailing a derailing thread. Re-read post 1.
From this comment I am pretty sure you are not completely familiar with the definition of "derailing".

To derail a thread you must try to change the subject of the thread. I in no way attempted to change the subject. I was commenting on your beliefs that you put in the OP.

You have made claims of derailing before, but only when someone disagreed with you or disputed a "fact" that you had posted. My comment had everything to do with your original post, and therefore was in no way a derailing of this thread.

If people want to ask questions on the topic, that's fine, but that has definitely been few.
Replies are for questions, and also for comments.

h-n
07-11-2010, 06:59 PM
From this comment I am pretty sure you are not completely familiar with the definition of "derailing".

To derail a thread you must try to change the subject of the thread. I in no way attempted to change the subject. I was commenting on your beliefs that you put in the OP.

You have made claims of derailing before, but only when someone disagreed with you or disputed a "fact" that you had posted. My comment had everything to do with your original post, and therefore was in no way a derailing of this thread.

Replies are for questions, and also for comments.

I have mentioned the threads, ie Non-muslims and Islam and My intentions I do not see that you were commenting on the threads. You were wasting time making practically everything about how non-Muslims are to be friends, you were dragging issues which were already answered into my other threads. I suggest you re-read the thread and what you posted.

titus
07-12-2010, 06:54 AM
In those threads I was making points based on what you, the original poster, had said.

h-n
07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
In those threads I was making points based on what you, the original poster, had said.
This is getting ridiculous.

My intentions thread has got nothing to do with how to treat non-Muslims
Non-Muslims and Islam has got nothing to do with how to treat non-Muslims, it was about some of the reasons why people repent. Even at one point you were quoting the title of the thread, saying you can write what you did as it said "Non-Muslims and Islam".

On other threads, everytime I was talking about the differences between Muslims and non-Muslims, as you were not happy, you quickly talked about how to treat others with kindness. What do you expect me to do? Not say anything bad about non-Muslims, of course Islam has always seperated the evil from the good. So even then you were still derailing as I am not talking about how to treat non-Muslims, I am talking about what Islam has to say of the differences and one is going to go to Paradise and the other to Hell.

glo
07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Somebody remind me. What is the point of this thread again??

Mods, can this thread be closed? It really serves no purpose other than people baiting each other.
Sister h-n has made her point in the OP, and further discussion seems to be neither invited nor beneficial ...

Asiyah3
07-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Sister h-n has made her point in the OP, and further discussion seems to be neither invited nor beneficial ...
I disagree. There is no point made. This is a public forum and if someone starts a thread I may disagree with the original post, add something to it or tell my opinion and views. Then again, the thread-starter doesn't have to discuss my comments or opinions further.

Derailing threads has nothing to do with others' opinions. If the topic is changed, then the member should start his own thread.

glo
07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
^
Good point.

But what's the purpose of a thread in which no point is made? (Well, until the point you made just now! ;D)
How can we discuss a point which doesn't exist?
Isn't it just a waste of forum space?

Asiyah3
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
^
Good point.

But what's the purpose of a thread in which no point is made? (Well, until the point you made just now! ;D)
How can we discuss a point which doesn't exist?
Isn't it just a waste of forum space?
I think we should clarify what is off-topic and what not. :D There is no point if every person with a different opinion would have to start another thread on the same topic, though I dislike it when certain kinds of threads turn into debates.

h-n
07-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Also I'll just be asking for the posts to be deleted, if they are derailing, may or may not be approved. Though people shouldn't have to spend time going through irrelevant posts to learn and discuss the thread at hand.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!