sabr*
07-15-2010, 11:12 PM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Have you experienced racism?

Definition of racism in merriam-webster:

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination.

Allah struck down racism in the times of Prophet Muhammad (saws) which was in the form of tribalism.

Surah Hujurat 49:13

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). (Y. Ali translation)

Surah Imran 3:84

Say: "We believe in Allah, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from their Lord: We make no distinction between one and another among them, and to Allah do we bow our will (in Islam)."
(Y. Ali translation)

Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 24, Number 488:

Narrated Zaid bin Wahab:

I passed by a place called Ar-Rabadha and by chance I met Abu Dhar and asked him, "What has brought you to this place?" He said, "I was in Sham and differed with Muawiya on the meaning of (the following verses of the Quran): 'They who hoard up gold and silver and spend them not in the way of Allah.' (9.34). Muawiya said, 'This verse is revealed regarding the people of the scriptures." I said, It was revealed regarding us and also the people of the scriptures." So we had a quarrel and Mu'awiya sent a complaint against me to 'Uthman. 'Uthman wrote to me to come to Medina, and I came to Medina. Many people came to me as if they had not seen me before. So I told this to 'Uthman who said to me, "You may depart and live nearby if you wish." That was the reason for my being here for even if an Ethiopian had been nominated as my ruler, I would have obeyed him.

Racism is a learned behavior. Humanbeings are fallible and subject to mistakes and misguidance.

There is no question that Islam abolished the institutional foundation of racism.

Islam doesn't condone nor support racism.

I have wiitnessed the arbitrary difference given within several communities based on ethnic, regional and language. Cliques, etc

What is your personal experience?

Jazakumullahu Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
07-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Racism is the most vile behavior and the lowest form of discrimination.

Racist people are stupid.

Alhamdulillah Islam is against racism, it's the true religion of Allah.

Latitudinarian
07-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Racism like other forms of discrimination is pervasive, even in societies and under ideologies that outright decry it. I imagine that a minority in any community would see racism all over the place however it's often difficult to judge whether an act of discrimination is racist, culturist, elitist or otherwise. As much as one tries, it's impossible to be immune from all forms of tribalism. Those who look, act, dress and/or think differently than you're used to are going to seem weird. Pride in commonality can bring people together but unfamiliar ways lead some to dislike, mistrust, scorn or fear others.

In my case, I'm a white guy living in a country of mostly white citizens although the urban centers are quite diverse. On occasion, I've witnessed other white guys make racist jokes and make disparaging comments about particular elasticities. When I was younger, I didn't make too much of hearing that stuff but now I get offended when people carry such ignorance too far.

Of course, I've had my own experiences of being discriminated on the basis of race. I've heard it from retail salesmen, ethnic gang members, religious gatherings, commuters, landlords, coworkers, university students and even friends in some capacity. One lady that I've known for years has even outright told me that she is racist and thinks 'all white people are filth'. Her justification for this sentiment is that everyone else is racist.

It's near impossible to resist having some maligned thoughts about a group after experiencing some form of discrimination by members of that group. Stereotyping can be dangerous and it's unfair to judge others on any basis other than their actions and "the content of their character", as Martin Luther King, Jr. said. I think the best way to combat such an evil is to encourage interaction between different cultures, communities and religions; as the Quran says in 49:13, we "made you into Nations and tribes, that ye may know each other".

RockDude
07-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Im of Kashmiri decent, living in the UK ( do not consider myself pakistani nor indian ) But the only Racism i have been Witness to is whilst doing security work in a nightclub, but thats irrelevant, bcuase its just alcohol fueld,

However the most sincerest racism i witnessed was by Pakistani youths on the bus, against an old white gentleman, whome they abused for about 5 mins, untill i spoke up and told them in no uncertain terms to stop. What perplexed me the most was 1) these youths were doing this 2 ) The other white people on the bus didnt say anyhing, Passive racism is still racism, in all forms.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sabr*
07-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Salamu: Latitudinarian

I agree in the substance of what you posted. If people are not from a particular tribe (tribalism), don't share a first language incommon, not of the elite group (A false thought) discrimination usually follows.

The power that people assume they have over you is only the power you allow them to have. Not being admitted into exclusive clubs is a club you would need to reconsider especially when you know the criteria isn't based upon the Quran and Sunna of Nabi Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم‎ ).

Racism is practiced in all groups and people who adhere to Islam are not immune. Read the Sira (history) of Nabi Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم‎) which is very enlightening on abolishing institutional racism.

Beardo
07-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Most people have, minor or major.

sabr*
07-17-2010, 02:16 AM

Rashad:

Those who actually practice racism or discrimination will rarely acknowledge it.

Jazakumullahu Khair

sabr*
08-04-2010, 03:34 AM

marwen:

That was perfect. Sukranallah for the positive contribution.

Jazakumullahu Khair

sabr*
08-10-2010, 12:58 AM

How doesn't a person know when they were subjected to racism or discrimination? You must don't understand what they are.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!