PDA

View Full Version : Question for non-muslims



espada
07-19-2010, 02:34 AM
Have you ever listened to the Quran, in Arabic from start to finish?

Do yourself a favor and do so.

We can't always rely on our puny intellects (via translations), which is what happens all to often in this modern, show-me age. The Quran is meant to be experienced in Arabic.

It goes into places the intellect can't begin to describe.

Here is one youtube channel:

CompleteQuran

i believe there are others.

May Allah guide you to the path.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Suzeteo
07-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi espada,

I've been wanting to read the Quran straight through as well as listen to more recitations of the original Arabic for a while, and I've got a couple of weeks coming up when I might be able to do that. Obviously, it would be a significant investment of time, and it would be good to dialogue with you about experiencing the Quran as it is "meant to be experienced". Would you be interested in doing that? Obviously you would hope that I would experience the supernatural beauty of the Quran to such an extent that my beliefs were challenged as a result. However, would you consider me hard-hearted if this was not the result?

Suzeteo

P.S. Have you read through Luke's gospel? Perhaps, to make a dialogue more fruitful, we could compare our experiences - just an idea.
Reply

espada
07-20-2010, 12:03 AM
To Suzeteo and whomever else may read this.

Do yourself a favor.
Reply

Tyrion
07-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Suzeteo
Hi espada,

I've been wanting to read the Quran straight through as well as listen to more recitations of the original Arabic for a while, and I've got a couple of weeks coming up when I might be able to do that. Obviously, it would be a significant investment of time, and it would be good to dialogue with you about experiencing the Quran as it is "meant to be experienced". Would you be interested in doing that? Obviously you would hope that I would experience the supernatural beauty of the Quran to such an extent that my beliefs were challenged as a result. However, would you consider me hard-hearted if this was not the result?

Suzeteo

P.S. Have you read through Luke's gospel? Perhaps, to make a dialogue more fruitful, we could compare our experiences - just an idea.
I just thought I'd suggest a website that I find really useful... It's called quranexplorer DOT com (I can't post a link for you yet, sorry :( ). It allows you to listen to a recitation while following along with a translation, and it offers numerous translations and reciters. Finding the right reciter can really help in appreciating the beauty of the Qur'an, and some of my personal favorites are Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais and Saud Al-Shuraim (You can find them both on the website I mentioned), and Ibrahim Al-Jibreen (who isn't on that website, but some of his recitations are available on youtube. His voice is incredible. :) )
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Tyrion
07-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Suzeto:

I forgot to mention something. I was going to let you know that I recently started reading the New Testament, so perhaps in the future we could create a thread discussing our findings, and clearing up any questions that arise in our readings. :p I'm currently taking a break from reading in order to focus more on school work, but I'll probably start again soon. :)
Reply

PouringRain
07-20-2010, 02:39 AM
To answer the original question (even though it seemed rhetorical more than anything)....

I have not listened to the Qur'an in its entirety, but I have listened to some of it, and I have also read it. I haven't clicked any of the links in this thread yet, but in the past I listened to some of youtube and I always liked the ones with nature in the background and the translation on the screen.
Reply

Suzeteo
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Suzeto:

I forgot to mention something. I was going to let you know that I recently started reading the New Testament, so perhaps in the future we could create a thread discussing our findings, and clearing up any questions that arise in our readings. :p I'm currently taking a break from reading in order to focus more on school work, but I'll probably start again soon. :)
That sounds like a grand idea!

Originally Posted by Tyrion
I just thought I'd suggest a website that I find really useful... It's called quranexplorer DOT com (I can't post a link for you yet, sorry :( ). It allows you to listen to a recitation while following along with a translation, and it offers numerous translations and reciters. Finding the right reciter can really help in appreciating the beauty of the Qur'an, and some of my personal favorites are Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais and Saud Al-Shuraim (You can find them both on the website I mentioned), and Ibrahim Al-Jibreen (who isn't on that website, but some of his recitations are available on youtube. His voice is incredible. :) )
Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by espada
To Suzeteo and whomever else may read this.

Do yourself a favor.
Fair enough, mate.
Reply

Ramadhan
07-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion
I just thought I'd suggest a website that I find really useful... It's called quranexplorer DOT com (I can't post a link for you yet, sorry :( ). It allows you to listen to a recitation while following along with a translation, and it offers numerous translations and reciters. Finding the right reciter can really help in appreciating the beauty of the Qur'an, and some of my personal favorites are Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais and Saud Al-Shuraim (You can find them both on the website I mentioned), and Ibrahim Al-Jibreen (who isn't on that website, but some of his recitations are available on youtube. His voice is incredible. :) )

For photo quality copies of Qur'an with choices of several styles, you can go to: http://quranflash.com/en/index.html#
I like this one whenever I'm at office because it's like reading from the book itself.

This one has many different reciters: http://www.kalamullah.com/quran.html

This one has many various translations and tafseer: http://quran.com/
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!