/* */

PDA

View Full Version : People's bad moods annoy me

Argamemnon
07-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I think I'm insane, I feel extremely irritated (sometimes angry) when someone near me is coughing/sniffing or clearing their throat. I'm like "what on earth did I do to make this person feel so nervous?". I can soak up other people's bad moods like a sponge, it's leaving me exhausted and ruins my good mood. Perhaps this is just a byproduct of being a "highly sensitive person" and having social anxiety, I don't know. Does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm talking about? (I think not) :lol:

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Argamemnon
07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
This is one of the reasons why I must find SOLITARY work, if I'm going to succeed in the long term. Becoming a translator or something, AWAY from people who make me feel like **** (excuse the language).

~Raindrop~
07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
*cough* *sniff* *cough*

*clears throat loudly*

I think I know where you're coming from.
*cough*

Argamemnon
07-23-2010, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
*cough* *sniff* *cough*

*clears throat loudly*

I think I know where you're coming from.
*cough*
You know where I'm coming from? Haha, you must be kidding, right? Nothing can ruin my day today as I feel great alhamdulillah :P

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
07-23-2010, 05:50 PM
sure people echo each other's moods all the time.. I think that is where certain terms like 'mass hysteria' come in.. just a contagious mood that catches on.. being around sick people too you start having their symptoms, and the worse thing ever is when you are in the autopsy room not being able to understand the difference between life and death, and feel that dizziness as a prelude to you being next on that cold metal slap...

marwen
07-23-2010, 06:02 PM
^ Exactly. I feel that when I do presentations in front of people in the university : When I'm confused and embarrassed, I see that all the audience is not feeling right, and their faces are even as pale as mine, therefore they won't like my presentation. So I try to start talking with a smile on my face, and saying silly jokes from time to time ;D

cat eyes
07-23-2010, 06:10 PM
i personally don't have any care for other peoples moods

whats the point getting annoyed about it

جوري
07-23-2010, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
^ Exactly. I feel that when I do presentations in front of people in the university : When I'm confused and embarrassed, I see that all the audience is not feeling right, and their faces are even as pale as mine, therefore they won't like my presentation. So I try to start talking with a smile on my face, and saying silly jokes from time to time ;D
that is a very mature approach.. usually I can't talk past the loud thudding of my heart in my ears which makes it difficult to be humerus or even think straight if everything isn't written out in advance ..

Argamemnon
07-23-2010, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

that is a very mature approach.. usually I can't talk past the loud thudding of my heart in my ears which makes it difficult to be humerus or even think straight if everything isn't written out in advance ..
Does your mind also go completely blank? In 2005, I dropped out of college because of this, I was trying to become a teacher (silly me). Everytime I had to speak in front of the class, I seriously felt I was about to die and my mind went completely blank. Eventually I couldn't sleep anymore and couldn't continue.

Argamemnon
07-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I think that some people do this just to be rude, they use their throat clearing as a way to say non-verbally "I don't like you and I'm suspicious of you", although this probably doesn't happen very often. Still, when I'm convinced that I'm making people nervous, nothing can change this thought, really annoying. I then start blaming myself for making people nervous and then this vicious cycle intensifies. It's terrible, especially if you have to work in such an environment and see those people everyday.

PouringRain
07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
Does your mind also go completely blank? In 2005, I dropped out of college because of this, I was trying to become a teacher (silly me). Everytime I had to speak in front of the class, I seriously felt I was about to die and my mind went completely blank. Eventually I couldn't sleep anymore and couldn't continue.
I have this problem. You could ask me my name and I wouldn't know it. It is a problem in job interviews also. They ask a question and I sit there like a deer in the headlights as though they were speaking a different language. I once read that you can stall for time by asking them to repeat the question, so I decided I would do that in my next job interview when I felt blank. So, the next job interview came and they asked me a question that somehow asking them to repeat sounded more dumb than being a deer in the headlights..... suddenly I was faced with a new dilemma: asking them to repeat a straightforward simple question and looking like an idiot, or sitting there like a deer in the headlights blank in the head. It didn't help that they gave me a televised interview. It was the first time I have been interviewed by a tv screen, and making eye contact was just plain strange. (You can tell I am certainly NOT a web cam aficionado. LOL )

So, hey, guess what I do for a living?!?!? I teach. :statisfie Ironically I have never had a problem in class teaching, but I also prepare my lessons much more than most people. :phew

As far as the coughing, clearing one's throat, and sniffing........ allergies? :p

Muhammad
07-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum brother,

Maybe you're reading too much into it? Even if we assume they are feeling nervous, it isn't your fault so you shouldn't blame yourself.

Whenever you're about to go into a nervous situation, I always find it helpful to recite the du'aa of Musa (as) in the Qur'an:

رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي...
وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي
وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّن لِّسَانِي
يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي

..."O my Lord! Open for me my chest
And ease my task for me;
And loose the knot (the defect) from my tongue,
That they understand my speech."

[Ta-Ha: 25-28]

As for jobs, maybe you could find a job working with computers/machines?

cat eyes
07-23-2010, 08:26 PM
I think that some people do this just to be rude, they use their throat clearing as a way to say non-verbally "I don't like you and I'm suspicious of you", although this probably doesn't happen very often. Still, when I'm convinced that I'm making people nervous, nothing can change this thought, really annoying. I then start blaming myself for making people nervous and then this vicious cycle intensifies. It's terrible, especially if you have to work in such an environment and see those people everyday.
it sounds like your paranoid!

جوري
07-23-2010, 11:27 PM
of course but it takes two minutes or and then the feeling dissipates.. if you work with power point presentation then you can supplement it with little anecdotes or art slides every now and then and it will lighten the mood.. you feel you are going to die but you don't you see.. if you were meant to die you'd have but you didn't..

now see these precious verses br. Muhammad left for you and recite them.. I do, my biggest enemy is myself, since I don't usually think much of the audience, it is always me that I am worried about =)

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Assalaamu Alaykum brother,

Maybe you're reading too much into it? Even if we assume they are feeling nervous, it isn't your fault so you shouldn't blame yourself.

Whenever you're about to go into a nervous situation, I always find it helpful to recite the du'aa of Musa (as) in the Qur'an:

رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي...
وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي
وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّن لِّسَانِي
يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي

..."O my Lord! Open for me my chest
And ease my task for me;
And loose the knot (the defect) from my tongue,
That they understand my speech."

[Ta-Ha: 25-28]

As for jobs, maybe you could find a job working with computers/machines?

Argamemnon
07-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I've been feeling much better lately alhamdulillah, I have more good days. The only thing I've done differently is making tons of dua and keeping busy. Still, I definitely feel much more relaxed when I'm away from people, with the occasional social contact here and there. This personality just makes you see life in a totally different way. Some people will try to be social and try and try over and over again and make lots of mistakes but not be too affected by it. Whereas someone like me hardly has the energy to do normal things and gets overwhelmed emotionally way too easily.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I think I'm insane, I feel extremely irritated (sometimes angry) when someone near me is coughing/sniffing or clearing their throat. I'm like "what on earth did I do to make this person feel so nervous?". I can soak up other people's bad moods like a sponge, it's leaving me exhausted and ruins my good mood. Perhaps this is just a byproduct of being a "highly sensitive person" and having social anxiety, I don't know. Does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm talking about? (I think not) :lol:

lol Maybe your just Paranoid? That people are coughing and being nervous all because of you ? :-\

Yes im sure bad moods annoy everyone, but it takes a strong person not to tell the "Annoying" one off as in taking it all easy and being patient :D

You just have to be patient and learn to deal with it i guess

so yeah just my opinion

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!