/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How did islam reched us?

Insecured soul
07-25-2010, 06:14 AM
salaam alaikum

how do u think islam reached u?

my dad told me that his great great grandfather came from afganistan and they were already muslim and they settled here, thats the only thing we know

i was wondering, it would have been so nice if we would knew when and how our ancestor became muslim

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
07-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Salam alaykum;

My ancestors weren´t muslims but christians. I am first from my family who is muslim.

Muslimeen
07-29-2010, 01:47 PM
As far as I know my forefathers were from Saudi Arabia. They settled in india approximately 4 - 5 centuries ago. We have a family tree that starts at that point. I would love to know the family tree in arabia and if we were linked to any prominent Sahaba (Ra).

Insecured soul
07-29-2010, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum;

My ancestors weren´t muslims but christians. I am first from my family who is muslim.
Alhamdolillah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insecured soul
07-29-2010, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimeen
As far as I know my forefathers were from Saudi Arabia. They settled in india approximately 4 - 5 centuries ago. We have a family tree that starts at that point. I would love to know the family tree in arabia and if we were linked to any prominent Sahaba (Ra).
I guess we all would be happy if we are linked to any prominent sahaba it wud be something to be happy about but we dont know much about our ancestry,

iv met a lot of people who call themselves sayyed and claim that they are frm the lineage of prophet muhammed pbuh but iv hardly seen them praying, they infact leave fard salaat

they think they are above the muslim ummah, which i know is completely wrong, what do u say to these guys to help them have a clear image of islam??

Salahudeen
07-29-2010, 08:20 PM
How do you tell if their sayyed or not? how do you know they're not just making it up for 'izza and respect?

Insecured soul
07-29-2010, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
How do you tell if their sayyed or not? how do you know they're not just making it up for 'izza and respect?
yeah u can never tell and i think if one is really sayyid then they woudnt go about boasting it so much

and allah knows best

Salahudeen
07-30-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm not sure how Islam reached my ancestors, I do know we used to be indian's, from the Rajput Cast or something. And when they became Muslim's they imported many of the traditions for example hindu/sikh wedding traditions are still done at muslim weddings.

Woodrow
07-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Quite a number of our members are reverts and the First Muslims in their families. My ancient ancestors were Muslim but like most Muslims in the Baltic Region where forced into Christianity after being over run by the Catholics after in the Northern Crusades. I am one of the few in my family who reverted back to Islam. Strangely it was not until after I reverted I learned of the Islamic background of my ancestors in the forgotten past.

But since then I learned I came from both the Golden and white Tatar hordes and going in both directions my ancestors come from the People of Mongolia and ancient Macedonia. Originaly they were not Muslim but were Pagan and Quite brutal conquerers. It was after they conquered India the came in contact with Muslims and during their attempts to conquer the Arabian Peninsula that found Islam and became peaceful. Oddly, if it was not for Islam, the people of the UK may have ended up with brownish skin and speaking Mongolian. While history books say they were stopped by Prince Vlad, I personally believe it was because they became peaceful and gave up their barbaric ways.

Brasco
07-30-2010, 02:24 AM
بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله

الحمد الله

I'm a Kurdish guy and I used to live in Iraq. As all (of the very ancient) Kurds, my ancient ancestors were Zoroastrians. However the Sword of Allah, Khalid ibn al Walid - may Allah be pleased with him - conquered Iraq - Alhamdulillah!! ;D So Iraq was under the rule of Islam and many Kurds began to convert to Islam - Alhamdulillah - and I guess my ancestors were amongst those - Alhamdulillah! :statisfie And today the majority of the Kurds in Iraq are Muslims and as far as I know, no one in my family belongs and belonged to any other religion plus always been Sunni - alhamdulillah!:statisfie

Muslimeen
07-30-2010, 05:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insecured soul
yeah u can never tell and i think if one is really sayyid then they woudnt go about boasting it so much

and allah knows best
I think you are right on this, I know of an Alim, in fact three of them, who are brothers, I have heard from prominent ulema that they are sayyids, very learned alims all of them, they never speak about their lineage, you always here it from other people. The one brother, my allah grant him jannah ameen, passed away in the masjid on Jumuah whilst giving the Khutbah on the mimbar.

Ramadhan
07-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I am an Indonesian of Javanese ethnicity (on the island of Java).
I can trace back my paternal lineage all the way to around 1200s (we have family tree, "silseelah") through the kings of Mataram kingdom to Demak kingdom, and Majapahit kingdom. The Majapajit kingdom was hindu, while Demak kingdom was started by a majapahit prince who converted from Hindu to Islam. the demak kingdom flourished which weakened the majapahit kingdom and then finally the majapahit royals gave up on their kingdom and moved to the island of Bali (which remained hindu until now).

As far as I know (from what I learned in school), islam came to Indonesia (through the island of Sumatra) by way of traders from Gujarat (india) and Yemen. All Indonesian natives who converted to Islam definitely did it through peaceful ways (marriages, syiar, etc), until the dutch came and started to christianize (especially eastern indonesia) through colonization.

Insecured soul
08-01-2010, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure how Islam reached my ancestors, I do know we used to be indian's, from the Rajput Cast or something. And when they became Muslim's they imported many of the traditions for example hindu/sikh wedding traditions are still done at muslim weddings.
i see, can u tell us what are those wedding traditions are?

Insecured soul
08-01-2010, 02:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Quite a number of our members are reverts and the First Muslims in their families. My ancient ancestors were Muslim but like most Muslims in the Baltic Region where forced into Christianity after being over run by the Catholics after in the Northern Crusades. I am one of the few in my family who reverted back to Islam. Strangely it was not until after I reverted I learned of the Islamic background of my ancestors in the forgotten past.

But since then I learned I came from both the Golden and white Tatar hordes and going in both directions my ancestors come from the People of Mongolia and ancient Macedonia. Originaly they were not Muslim but were Pagan and Quite brutal conquerers. It was after they conquered India the came in contact with Muslims and during their attempts to conquer the Arabian Peninsula that found Islam and became peaceful. Oddly, if it was not for Islam, the people of the UK may have ended up with brownish skin and speaking Mongolian. While history books say they were stopped by Prince Vlad, I personally believe it was because they became peaceful and gave up their barbaric ways.
thats a quite history brother :) , may allah keep urs and our(s) future generation on islam insha allah

Insecured soul
08-01-2010, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brasco
بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله

الحمد الله

I'm a Kurdish guy and I used to live in Iraq. As all (of the very ancient) Kurds, my ancient ancestors were Zoroastrians. However the Sword of Allah, Khalid ibn al Walid - may Allah be pleased with him - conquered Iraq - Alhamdulillah!! ;D So Iraq was under the rule of Islam and many Kurds began to convert to Islam - Alhamdulillah - and I guess my ancestors were amongst those - Alhamdulillah! :statisfie And today the majority of the Kurds in Iraq are Muslims and as far as I know, no one in my family belongs and belonged to any other religion plus always been Sunni - alhamdulillah!:statisfie
i see, talking about kurdish people, i recently saw a documentary iraq in fragments by the end of the doc they showed a kurdish guy who was a muslim, he was in his late 60's and he said something which i didnt like at all, he said whoever wins in fight (be it any kind of fight) god is always on the side of the winner. he was referring to the americans waging / winning wars agains muslims in afganistan/ iraq .... etc

i think he didnt understood the message of islam, i.e for islam sometimes u have to give up life and winning a battle in dunya is not everything

im not criticizing u or ur ethnic background but just trying to say that many of the muslims have forgotten the real message of islam, i.e. stay on tawheed and fight fisabililah and worry about aakhirah and not dunya

Insecured soul
08-01-2010, 02:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimeen
I think you are right on this, I know of an Alim, in fact three of them, who are brothers, I have heard from prominent ulema that they are sayyids, very learned alims all of them, they never speak about their lineage, you always here it from other people. The one brother, my allah grant him jannah ameen, passed away in the masjid on Jumuah whilst giving the Khutbah on the mimbar.

absolutely, people who are god fearing they dont ever boast for anything, they are humble in front of allah and his creation

Insecured soul
08-01-2010, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I am an Indonesian of Javanese ethnicity (on the island of Java).
I can trace back my paternal lineage all the way to around 1200s (we have family tree, "silseelah") through the kings of Mataram kingdom to Demak kingdom, and Majapahit kingdom. The Majapajit kingdom was hindu, while Demak kingdom was started by a majapahit prince who converted from Hindu to Islam. the demak kingdom flourished which weakened the majapahit kingdom and then finally the majapahit royals gave up on their kingdom and moved to the island of Bali (which remained hindu until now).

As far as I know (from what I learned in school), islam came to Indonesia (through the island of Sumatra) by way of traders from Gujarat (india) and Yemen. All Indonesian natives who converted to Islam definitely did it through peaceful ways (marriages, syiar, etc), until the dutch came and started to christianize (especially eastern indonesia) through colonization.
alhamdolillah and now i guess indonesia has a huge muslim population..

Ramadhan
08-01-2010, 09:14 AM
alhamdolillah and now i guess indonesia has a huge muslim population..
Indonesia does have the largest muslim population than any other countries (around 87% of Indonesia's 250 millions citizens are muslims), however, many still inherit Islam which is tainted hinduism/buddhism beliefs which is borderline shirk if not outright shirk.
In addition, "westernization" and secularization are creeping in the big cities and towns.
Alhamdulillah, many many Islamic organizations are working very hard in da'wah and to bring society more into Islam

sister herb
08-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Salaam alaykum

Interesting. People in Finland are also from same direction than you. Even partly. All my Asian friends say I have Asian face and most of them think I am from Central Asia.

ardianto
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Salaam alaykum

Interesting. People in Finland are also from same direction than you. Even partly. All my Asian friends say I have Asian face and most of them think I am from Central Asia.
Assalamu' alaikum.

Some people in some forums said if Finns people are Mongoloid. Is it right ?.

Few years ago I meet a Finn woman, but she looked like Caucasian who tall and blonde. Also, although I never meet other Finn people I have seen many photos of rally drivers, and some F1 drivers from Finland. But, they didn't look like Mongoloid.

sister herb
08-01-2010, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Assalamu' alaikum.

Some people in some forums said if Finns people are Mongoloid. Is it right ?.

Few years ago I meet a Finn woman, but she looked like Caucasian who tall and blonde. Also, although I never meet other Finn people I have seen many photos of rally drivers, and some F1 drivers from Finland. But, they didn't look like Mongoloid.
Salam alaykum

Finns have come to here both by Europe and from Asia. It is long story as it took thousands of years. Partly we lived in Baltic countries. About 2000 years ago Finland got this international name from old Swedish language. "Kvennors Land" = Land of Women. At that time women here were warriors and hunters just like men and tribes near were different.

By my language name of this country is Suomi. It might means "land of swamps". So we have quite muck lakes and swamps here.

I personally am mixed by race. One my grandmom were from German and one Asian.

ardianto
08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Salam alaykum

Finns have come to here both by Europe and from Asia. It is long story as it took thousands of years. Partly we lived in Baltic countries. About 2000 years ago Finland got this international name from old Swedish language. "Kvennors Land" = Land of Women. At that time women here were warriors and hunters just like men and tribes near were different.

By my language name of this country is Suomi. It might means "land of swamps". So we have quite muck lakes and swamps here.

I personally am mixed by race. One my grandmom were from German and one Asian.
Thank you very much sister Harb.

Your post also answer my unasked question. Sometime when I visited some websites I found "Suomi" in language option, by I didn't know what language is this until I read your post.

:)

sister herb
08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Salam alaykum

You are welcome. Suomi is not even European language. Nearest relative language are Estonian and Hungary. Also Turkish and Kurd languages have some similar.

Woodrow
08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Finnland like most countries have several different ethnic groups and some mixed groups. Some of the Earliest inhabitants the Lapps are Mongoloid, plus some of my ancestrial people the Tatars of the Golden Horde are Mongoloid and settled there. So You are going to find Mongoloid, Caucasian and mixed in Finnland. "Suomi" sounds very similar to my ancestral language "Lietuva" (Lithuanian) I suspect both our languages share some of the same roots.

Like Lithuania Finnland did have Islam present for at least 800 years primarily from the Tatars. But like Lithuania and Poland the Tatars were either, converted, killed or exiled for the largest part and Islam was very sparse for the past 200 years. But, it is making a resurgence.

ardianto
08-01-2010, 05:10 PM
There were a number of Shaykh who introduced Islam to my island (Java), but the most famous were "Wali Songo" (nine wali/nine awliyaa).

They were :
- Sunan Gresik (aka Maulana Malik Ibrahim).
- Sunan Ampel (aka Raden Rahmat)
- Sunan Bonang. (aka Raden Makhdum Ibrahim)
- Sunan Drajat (aka Raden Qasim)
- Sunan Kudus (aka Jaffar Shadiq)
- Sunan Giri (aka Raden Paku, aka Ainul Yaqin)
- Sunan Kalijaga ( aka Raden Said)
- Sunan Muria (aka Raden Umar Said)
- Sunan Gunung Jati (aka Syarif Hidayatullah).

Sunan Gresik was the oldest of Wali Songo. The rest were his descendants or students of his descendants. However, stories about Wali Songo has mixed with folklore. So, is not easy to definite who they were and where they were came from.

But according to some historian, Sunan Gresik was Hadramawt Arab (Yemen). The proofs for support this theory is similarity between Islam that introduced by Sunan Gresik and Islam in Hadramawt. In madhaab (Shafi'i) and in traditions. Also, according to some historians, Sunan Gresik was descendant of Sayeedna Husein bin Ali. This is means Sunan Gresik was descendant of Rasulullah (saw)

In 15th century, majority of Javanese people were Hindus. And there were three Hindus Kingdoms. Pajajaran in western area, Mataram in central area, and Majapahit in eastern area. King Siliwangi from Pajajaran refused Islam, and then his kingdom fell. King Brawijaya from Majapahit refused Islam, and then his Kingdom fell. But Mataram kingdom accepted Islam, and now this kingdom is still exist and known as Sultanate of Yogyakarta.

sister herb
08-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Salam alaykum

nearest mosque here is by Finnish Tatars.

:statisfie

sister herb
08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Finnland like most countries have several different ethnic groups and some mixed groups. Some of the Earliest inhabitants the Lapps are Mongoloid, plus some of my ancestrial people the Tatars of the Golden Horde are Mongoloid and settled there. So You are going to find Mongoloid, Caucasian and mixed in Finnland. "Suomi" sounds very similar to my ancestral language "Lietuva" (Lithuanian) I suspect both our languages share some of the same roots.

Like Lithuania Finnland did have Islam present for at least 800 years primarily from the Tatars. But like Lithuania and Poland the Tatars were either, converted, killed or exiled for the largest part and Islam was very sparse for the past 200 years. But, it is making a resurgence.
Salam alaykum

we have still even at south Finland names of places and towns what are not Finnish language but by Sami (Lapps).

Woodrow
08-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Salam alaykum

nearest mosque here is by Finnish Tatars.

:statisfie
:sl:

Although I am only about 1/2 Tatar (Actually 3/8) I identify myself most closely with my Tatar side of the Family. The rest of me is very mixed. Name an ethnic group and at least one of my ancestors is probably from it.

Just out of curiosity do you know what name the Finnish Tatars call themselves. My Lithuanian Tatar ancestors called themselves "Lietuva Lipkas"

sister herb
08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Salam alaykum

by Finnish they are tataari. During my last job I met some but they were from Siberia but Tatars.

Woodrow
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Salam alaykum

by Finnish they are tataari. During my last job I met some but they were from Siberia but Tatars.
Many of the Lietuva Lipkas were exiled to Siberia. Strange as it seems this desire to stop Islam 100 or so years ago helped preserve it so that it would one day return to the Baltics and the rest of North Eastern Europe.

Islam seems to grow best when some people are trying to end it..

Salahudeen
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
i see, can u tell us what are those wedding traditions are?
Well there's the mehndi which is like a party before the day of the nik'a, don't really know the purpose of it, but it involves mehndi that brown stuff women put on their hands in nice patterns.

and there's other weird traditions like on the day of the nik'ah when the groom drives to the brides house they swing a glass of milk around his head or something and he has to give money or something I can't remember it all. It's ages since I've been to 1.

And then when the bride enters the house the youngest person in the house sits on her lap and she has to give him money until he gets off.

Insecured soul
08-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Well there's the mehndi which is like a party before the day of the nik'a, don't really know the purpose of it, but it involves mehndi that brown stuff women put on their hands in nice patterns.

and there's other weird traditions like on the day of the nik'ah when the groom drives to the brides house they swing a glass of milk around his head or something and he has to give money or something I can't remember it all. It's ages since I've been to 1.

And then when the bride enters the house the youngest person in the house sits on her lap and she has to give him money until he gets off.
aah now i recall, i think iv seen all that long ago.
all this still happens a lot here i guess, people dont wanna educate themselves and get rid of all these nonsense

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!