/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Night of Bara'ah is TONIGHT!!!!

Hamza Asadullah
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, tonight is the night of bara'ah. So make the best of this special night. Here is a guide for all of us in regards to the do's and don't's of this special night of Bara'ah.

Sha'ban: Merits, Do's, and Dont's By Mufti Taqi Usmani- The Night of Bara'ah

- What Should be Done in this Night?

- What Should Not be Done in This Night

- Fast of the 15th Sha'ban

Sha'ban is one of the meritorious months for which we find some particular instructions in the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam. It is reported in the authentic ahadith that Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, used to fast most of the month in Sha'ban. These fasts were not obligatory on him but Sha'ban is the month immediately preceding the month of Ramadan. Therefore, some preparatory measures are suggested by Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam. Some of these are given below:

1. The blessed companion Anas, Radi-Allahu anhu, reports that Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, was asked, "Which fast is the most meritorious after the fasts of Ramadan?" He replied, "Fasts of Shaban in honor of Ramadan."

2. The blessed companion Usama ibn Zaid, Radi-Allahu anhu, reports that he asked Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam: "Messenger of Allah, I have seen you fasting in the month of Sha'ban so frequently that I have never seen you fasting in any other month." Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, replied: "That (Sha'ban) is a month between Rajab and Ramadan which is neglected by many people. And it is a month in which an account of the deeds (of human beings) is presented before the Lord of the universe, so, I wish that my deeds be presented at a time when I am in a state of fasting."

3. Ummul Mu'mineen 'Aishah, Radi-Allahu anha, says, "Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, used to fast the whole of Sha'ban. I said to him, 'Messenger of Allah, is Sha'ban your most favorite month for fasting?' He said, 'In this month Allah prescribes the list of the persons dying this year. Therefore, I like that my death comes when I am in a state of fasting."

4. In another Tradition she says, "Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, would sometimes begin to fast continuously until we thought he would not stop fasting, and sometimes he used to stop fasting until we thought he would never fast. I never saw the Messenger of Allah, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, fasting a complete month, except the month of Ramadan, and I have never seen him fasting in a month more frequently than he did in Sha'ban."

5. In another report she says, "I never saw the Messenger of Allah, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, fasting in a month so profusely as he did in the month of Sha'ban. He used to fast in that month leaving only a few days, rather, he used to fast almost the whole of the month."

6. Ummul-Mu'mineen Umm Salamah, Radi-Allahu anha, says: "I have never seen the Messenger of Allah fasting for two months continuously except in the months of Sha'ban and Ramadan."

These reports indicate that fasting in the month of Sha'ban, though not obligatory, is so meritorious that Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, did not like to miss it.

But it should be kept in mind that the fasts of Sha'ban are for those persons only who are capable of keeping them without causing deficiency in the obligatory fasts of Ramadan. Therefore, if one fears that after fasting in Sha'ban, he will lose strength or freshness for the fasts of Ramadan and will not be able to fast in it with freshness, he should not fast in Sha'ban, because the fasts of Ramadan, being obligatory, are more important than the optional fasts of Sha'ban. That is why Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, himself has forbidden the Muslims from fasting one or two days immediately before the commencement of Ramadan. The blessed Companion Abu Hurairah, Radi-Allahu anhu, reports Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, to have said, "Do not fast after the first half of the month of Sha'ban is gone."

According to another report Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam has said: "Do not precede the month of Ramadan with one or two fasts."

The essence of the above-quoted ahadith is that Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, himself used to fast most of the month of Sha'ban, because he had no fear of developing weakness or weariness before the commencement of Ramadan. As for others, he ordered them not to fast after the 15th of Sha'ban for the fear that they would lose their strength and freshness before Ramadan starts, and would not be able to welcome the month of Ramadan with enthusiasm.

The Night of Bara'ah

Another significant feature of the month of Sha'ban is that it consists of a night which is termed in Shariah as "Laylatul-bara'ah" (The night of freedom from Fire). This is the night occurring between 14th and 15th day of Sha'ban. There are certain traditions of Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, to prove that it is a meritorious night in which the people of the earth are attended by special Divine mercy. Some of these traditions are quoted as follows:

1. Ummul-Mu'mineen 'Aishah, Radi-Allahu anha, is reported to have said, "Once Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, performed the Salah of the night (Tahajjud) and made a very long Sajdah until I feared that he had passed away. When I saw this, I rose (from my bed) and moved his thumb (to ascertain whether he is alive). The thumb moved, and I returned (to my place). Then I heard him saying in Sajdah: 'I seek refuge of Your forgiveness from Your punishment, and I seek refuge of Your pleasure from Your annoyance, and I seek Your refuge from Yourself. I cannot praise You as fully as You deserve. You are exactly as You have defined Yourself.' Thereafter, when he raised his head from Sajdah and finished his salah, he said to me: 'Aishah, did you think that the Prophet has betrayed you?' I said, 'No, O Prophet of Allah, but I was afraid that your soul has been taken away because your Sajdah was very long.' He asked me, 'Do you know which night is this?' I said, 'Allah and His Messenger know best.' He said, 'This is the night of the half of Sha'ban. Allah Almighty looks upon His slaves in this night and forgives those who seek forgiveness and bestows His mercy upon those who pray for mercy but keeps those who have malice (against a Muslim) as they were before, (and does not forgive them unless they relieve themselves from malice).'"

2. In another Tradition Sayyidah' Aishah, Radi-Allahu anha, has reported that Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, has said, "Allah Almighty descends (in a manner He best knows it) in the night occurring in the middle of Sha'ban and forgives a large number of people more than the number of the fibers on the sheep of the tribe, Kalb."

Kalb was a big tribe the members of which had a very large number of sheep. Therefore, the last sentence of the hadith indicates the big number of the people who are forgiven in this night by Allah Almighty.

3. In yet another Tradition, she has reported Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, to have said, "This is the middle Night of Sha'ban. Allah frees in it a large number of the people from Fire, more than the number of the hair growing on the sheep of the tribe, Kalb. But He does not even look at a person who associates partners with Allah, or at a person who nourishes malice in his heart (against someone), or at a person who cuts off the ties of kinship, or at a man who leaves his clothes extending beyond his ankles (as a sign of pride), or at a person who disobeys his parents, or at a person who has a habit of drinking wine."

4. Sayyidna Mu'adh ibn Jabal, Radi-Allahu anhu, reports that Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, has said: "Allah Almighty looks upon all those created by Him in the middle Night of Sha'ban and forgives all those created by Him, except the one who associates partners with Him or the one who has malice in his heart (against a Muslim)".

Although the chain of narrators of some of these traditions suffers with some minor technical defects, yet when all these traditions are combined together, it becomes clear that this night has some well founded merits, and observing this night as a sacred night is not a baseless concoction as envisaged by some modern scholars who, on the basis of these minor defects, have totally rejected to give any special importance to this night. In fact, some of these traditions have been held by some scholars of hadith as authentic and the defects in the chain of some others have been treated by them as minor technical defects which, according to the science of hadith, are curable by the variety of their ways of narration. That is why the elders of the ummah have constantly been observing this night as a night of special merits and have been spending it in worship and prayers.

What Should be Done in this Night?

In order to observe the Night of Bara'ah, one should remain awakened in this night as much as he can. If someone has better opportunities, he should spend the whole night in worship and prayer. However, if one cannot do so for one reason or another, he can select a considerable portion of the night, preferably of the second half of it for this purpose, and should perform the following acts of worship:

(a) Salah. Salah is the most preferable act to be performed in this night. There is no particular number of Rak'at but preferably it should not be less than eight. It is also advisable that each part of the Salah like qiyam, rukoo' and sajdah should be longer than normal. The longest surahs of the Holy Qur'an one remembers by heart should be recited in the Salah of this night. If someone does not remember the long surahs, he can also recite several short surahs in one rak'ah.

(b) Tilawa. The recitation of the Holy Qur'an is another form of worship, very beneficent in this night. After performing Salah, or at any other time, one should recite as much of the Holy Qur'an as he can.

(c) Dhikr.One should also perform dhikr (recitation of the name of Allah) in this night. Particularly the following dhikr is very useful:

One should recite Salah (durood) on Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, as many times as he can. The dhikr can also be recited while walking, lying on bed and during other hours of work or leisure.

(d) Dua. The best benefit one can draw from the blessings of this night is prayers and supplications. It is hoped that all the prayers in this night will be accepted by our Lord, insha-Allah. Prayer itself is an 'Ibadah, and Allah Almighty gives reward on each prayer along with the fulfillment of the supplicator's need. Even if the purpose prayed for is not achieved, one cannot be deprived of the reward of the prayer which is sometimes more precious than the mundane benefits one strives for. The prayers and supplications also strengthen one's relation with Allah Almighty, which is the main purpose of all kinds and forms of worship.

One can pray for whatever purpose he wishes. But the best supplications are the ones made by Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam. These are so comprehensive and all-encompassing prayers that all the human needs, of this world and the Hereafter, are fully covered in the eloquent expressions used in them. Actually, most of the prophetic prayers are so profound that human imagination can hardly match their greatness.

Several books in various languages are available which provide these prophetic prayers, and one should pray to Allah Almighty in accordance with them, whether by reciting their original Arabic text or by rendering their sense in one's own language.

(e) There are some people who cannot perform any additional Salah or recitations for any reason, like illness or weakness or being engaged in some other necessary activities. Such people also should not deprive themselves completely of the blessings of this night. They should observe the following acts:

(i) To perform the Salah of Maghrib, 'Isha' and Fajr with Jama'ah in the mosque, or in their homes in case of their being sick.

(ii) They should keep reciting the dhikr, particularly the one mentioned in para (c) above, in whatever condition they are until they sleep.

(iii) They should pray to Allah for their forgiveness and for their other objectives. One can do so even when he is in his bed.

(f) The women during their periods cannot perform salah, nor can they recite the Qur'an, but they can recite any dhikr, tasbeeh, durood sharif and can pray to Allah for whatever purpose they like in whatever language they wish. They can also recite the Arabic prayers mentioned in the Qur'an or in the hadith with the intention of supplication (and not with the intention of recitation).

(g) According to a hadith, which is relatively less authentic, Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, went in this night to the graveyard of Baqi' where he prayed for the Muslims buried there. On this basis, some of the fuqaha hold it as mustahabb (advisable) in this night to go to the graveyard of the Muslims and recite Fatihah or any other part of the Qur'an, and pray for the dead. But this act is neither obligatory nor should it be performed as regularly as an obligatory act.

What Should Not be Done in This Night

1. As mentioned earlier, the Night of Bara'ah is a night in which special blessings are directed towards the Muslims. Therefore, this night should be spent in total submission to Allah Almighty, and one should refrain from all those activities, which may displease Allah. Although it is always incumbent upon every Muslim to abstain from sins, yet this abstinence becomes all the more necessary in such nights, because committing sins in this night will amount to responding to divine blessings with disobedience and felony. Such an arrogant attitude can invite nothing but the wrath of Allah. Therefore, one should strictly abstain from all the sins, particularly from those mentioned in the Hadith No. 3 quoted earlier in this article, because these sins make one devoid of the blessings of this night.

2. In this night some people indulge in some activities which they regard as necessary for the celebration of the Night of Bara'ah, like cooking some special type of meal, or illuminating houses or mosques, or improvised structures. All such activities are not only baseless and innovated in the later days by ignorant people, but in some cases they are pure imitation of some rituals performed by non-Muslim communities. Such imitation in itself is a sin; performing it in a blessed night like the Night of Bara'ah makes it worse. Muslims should strictly abstain from all such activities.

3. Some people spend this night in holding religious meetings and delivering long speeches. Such activities are also not advisable, because these acts can easily be performed in other nights. This night requires one to devote himself for the pure acts of worship only.

4. The acts of worship like Salah, recitation of the Qur'an and dhikr should be performed in this night individually, not collectively. The Nafl Salah should not be performed in Jama'ah, nor should the Muslims arrange gatherings in the mosques in order to celebrate the night in a collective manner.

On the contrary, this night is meant for worshipping Allah in solitude. It is the time to enjoy the direct contact with the Lord of the Universe, and to devote one's attention to Him and Him alone. These are the precious hours of the night in which nobody should intervene between one and his Lord, and one should turn to Allah with total concentration, not disturbed or intermitted by any one else.

That is why Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, observed the acts of worship in this night in total seclusion, not accompanied by anyone, not even by his favorite life companion Sayyidah 'Aishah, Radi-Allahu anha, and that is why all forms of the optional worship (Nafl Ibadah), are advised by him to be done in individual, not in collective manner.

Fast of the 15th Sha'ban

On the day immediately following the Night of Bara'ah, i.e. the 15th of Sha'ban, it is mustahabb (advisable) to keep fast. Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, is reported to have recommended this fast emphatically. Although the scholars of hadith have some doubts in the authenticity of this report, yet it is mentioned earlier that the fasts of the first half of Sha'ban have special merits and Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, used to fast most of the days in Sha'ban. Moreover, a large number of the elders (salaf) of the Ummah have been observing the fast of the 15th of Sha'ban. This constant practice indicates that they have accepted the relevant hadith as authentic. Therefore, it is advisable to fast the 15th of Sha'ban as an optional (nafl) fast. One can also keep a fast of qada on this day and it is hoped that he can also benefit from the merits of this fast.

Coutesy: (http://albalagh.net/general/shaban.shtml)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
07-26-2010, 06:11 PM
<_<

Regarding celebrating 'Shab-e-barat'

By Shaykh Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah bin Baz - The Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia

Praise be to Allah Who has perfected for us His religion and completed His favours upon us. May peace and blessings of Allah be upon His Prophet and Messenger, Muhammad(SAW), Prophet of repentance and mercy.

To proceed, Allah (SWT) says in the Qur'an, the meaning of which is:

"This day, I have perfected for you your religion , completed my favours upon you and chosen for you Islam as your religion." (AI-Ma'idah 5:4)

"What! Have they partners who have established for them some religion without the permission of Allah." (Ash-Shura 42:21)

``A'isha (RA) reported Prophet(SAW) as saying "Whoever innovates Anything in this religion of ours which is not of it, it is to be rejected." (Bukhari & Muslim)

In another narration the Prophet (SAW.) said ,

"Whoever does an action which we have not commanded, it will be rejected." (Muslim)

Jaabir reported that the Prophet (SAW) used to say in Jumu'ah Khutbah,

"To proceed with: The best speech is the book of Allah, the best guidance and example is that of the prophet (SAW) and the worst of all things are the innovations, and every innovation is deviation." (Muslim)

There are many Qur'anic verses and sayings of the Prophet (SAW) which clearly and categorically affirm that Allah (SWT) has perfected the Deen and completed His favours upon the Ummah and that Allah did not cause his Prophet (SAW) to die until lie had rigorously conveyed everything that Allah had transmitted to him concerning the religion be it in words or actions. Furthermore, the Prophet (SAW) made it clear that whatever people innovate after him whether in words or actions and then attribute to the religion of Islam, it must be rejected as Bid'ah (Innovation) even it the intentions are sincere.

The companions of the Prophet and the scholars of Islam following them were well aware of this fact and subsequently condemned all types of innovations and warned people against them, as has been expounded in the works of those who wrote on the topics of Sunnah and Bid'ah, like lbn Waddah, AI Turtusi, Abi Shama and others.

Among the things which people innovated is the celebration of the night of 15th Sha'ban and the singling out of this particular day for fasting, although there is no proof in support of this. There are certain Hadiths regarding this matter all of which are so weak that they cannot be used as justification. Hadiths concerning the virtues of prayer on this night are Mawdu' (fabricated) as explained by scholars, some of whom we will quote later on Insha-Allah. Although there are certain traditions attributed to the predecessors and some Syrian scholars in support of this issue, the vast majority of scholars of the Ummah regards the celebrating of this night as a Bid'ah. They also agree that all the hadiths regarding this matter are Da'eef (weak), and some of them are fabricated. Among the scholars who draw attention to this point is AI-Hafiz lbn Rajab al-Hambali in his book Lata'if AI Ma'arif and in others. Weak hadiths may only he used to support those matters of ``Ibadah (worship), which are already based on authentic proofs. Hence any Da'eef hadith used to support this practice are irrelevant. This important principle regarding the use of Da'eef Hadiths has been elucidated by Shaykh ul-lslam lbn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah).

There is a consensus among all the scholars of Islam that, whenever a dispute arises amongst the people, then it incumbent upon them to refer to the Holy Qur'an and the authentic Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW) and whatever the verdict is from either of these sources. That is the Shari'ah which must be followed, and whatever opposes them must be rejected. Anything considered as '``Ibadah, which has no mention in the Qur'an or the authentic Sunnah is a Bid'ah and therefore practising it, let alone preaching it's virtues, is forbidden.

"Oh you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the messenger and those charged with authority among you. If you differ in anything among yourselves refer it to Allah and his messenger, if you do believe in Allah and the Last Day; that is best and most suitable for final determination." (Surah An Nisa' 4:59)

"Whatever it be wherein you differ, the decision thereof is with Allah" (Surah AI-Shura 42:10)

"Say: if you do love Allah, follow me; Allah will love you and forgive you your sins." (Surah Aali-'Imran 3:31)

"But no, by thy Lord, they can never attain real faith until they make thee the judge in all disputes among them, and find in their souls no resistance against thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction." (Surah An-Nisa' 4:65)

Apart from this, there are many ayats (verse) in the Holy Qur'an which make it compulsory to refer all disputes to the Qur'an and the authentic hadiths. Then be satisfied with the verdict, which is actually Iman, and is beneficial to mankind in this world and far better regarding the ultimate outcome in the hereafter.

Hafiz ibn Rajab remarked in his book Lata'if Al-Ma'arif after his previously quoted statement, that, 'Some of the followers of the companions like Khalid bin Ma'dan and Makhul and Luqman bin 'Amir used to respect the 15th of Sha'ban by offering extra prayers at night. It is said that they were influenced by certain Judaic traditions. (All those who hold this night in esteem are in fact following this isolated tradition). Gradually this practice spread to many parts of the Muslim World and thus created confusion and differences of opinion among the people. Some accepted it, among whom were zealous worshippers from Basra, but most of the scholars of Hijaz rejected it and condemned it, like 'Ata and lbn Abi Mulaika, as did all the scholars of Madina as reported by, Abdur Rahman bin Zayd bin Aslani and the Maliki School of Fiqh (thought) and all Agreed as Bid'ah. However, the scholars of Syria (who supported this issue) differed in how the 15th of Sha'ban should be celebrated. The first group regarded the celebration of this night in the mosque collectively as Mustahab (recommended). Among them were Khalid bin Ma'dan, Luqman bin 'Amir and others, who would dress specially for the occasion and hasten to the masque wherein they would remain awake throughout the night. Ishaq bin Rahawayhi endorsed this practice and said that celebrating this night collectively in the mosque is not a Bid'ah (reported by Harb Al-Kirmani in his treatise on religious opinions).

However, another group regarded celebrating this night through prayer, story-telling and supplication collectively in the mosque as Makhruh (discouraged) and it was not Makhruh for a person to pray individually at home and this is the opinion of Awza'i, the Imam, Faqih and scholar of Syria, and this is the nearest to the truth.' He (Ibn Rajab) further stated that there was no report from Ahmad bin Hanbal regarding the 15th of Sha'ban, but there are those who tried to deduce from his opinions that there was a recommendation in celebrating this night. However, according to another view it was deduced that there was no recommendation, on the basis that Ahmad bin Hanbal stated that there was no evidence to support celebrating the nights of the two 'Eids. A further view reported that Ahmad bin Hanbal regarded the celebration of this night as Mustahab, because Abdur Rahman bin Zayd used to practise it and he is from among the Tabi'een (Second generation of Muslims). lbn Rajab continues that there is absolutely evidence from either the life of the Prophet (SAW) or any of his companions regarding 15th Sha'ban, but rather from the aforementioned Tabi'een and Syrian scholars. Here, Ibn Rajab is emphasising that celebrating 15th Sha'ban was completely unknown in the time of the Prophet (SAW) and his companions. Awza`i's view that one can celebrate this night by offering prayers individually at home and lbn Rajab's supporting for this view is strange and weak, because no Muslim is allowed to innovate anything in the religion that is not established by the proofs from Shari'ah, whether the practice is done individually or collectively, openly or secretly, taking into consideration the comprehensive statement of the Prophet (SAW), 'Anyone who does an action which we have not commanded, it is to be rejected" (Muslim), ... and other proofs regarding Bid'ah and warnings against it.

The Imam Abu Bakr AI-Turtusi has remarked in his book AI-Hawadith Wal Bid'ah that lbn Waddah has reported from Zaid bin Aslam as saying, "None of our scholars (Fuqhaha) gave any consideration or attention to the 15th Sha'ban nor the hadith of Makhool, neither did they give this night precedence over other nights." lbn Mulaika bin Zayyad AI-Numayri was asked whether or not the reward of the night of 15th Sha'ban was equal to that of Lailat AI-Qadr. He replied that were anyone to utter this in front of him he would strike them with a stick.

The great scholar Ash-Shawkani has stated in his book AI Fawa'id Al-Majmu'ah that, the hadith, '0 `Ali, whoever prays one hundred rak'ah on the night of the 15th Sha'ban reciting Surah al-Fatihah and Surah al-lkhlas 11 times, certainly all his needs will be fulfilled', is fabricated as is self evident from its wording and the unlimited reward claimed. Furthermore all the transmitters are also unknown. In his, AI-Mukhtasar he stated, "The hadith relating to the prayer in the night of 15th Sha'ban is Batil (false) and the hadith of lbn Hibban saying, '0 `Ali, stay awake during the night of 5th Sha'ban and fast the following days' is Da`eef."

It is reported in the book of La'li that praying one hundred rak'ah on the 15th Sha'ban while reciting Surah al-Ikhlas ten times in each rak'ah is all but fabricated due to the fact that in all three narrations of this hadith the transmitters are either weak or unknown. In the hadith which states for one to read twelve rak'ah reciting Surah al-Ikhlas thirty times in each rak'ah is fabricated. Another hadith recommending fourteen is also fabricated.

A good number of Fuqhaha have been deceived by these Hadiths like the author of Ihyaa `Ulum ad-Deen (Imam AI-Ghazali) and others and some commentators on the Qur'an.

All the hadiths pertaining to prayers on this night are either false or fabricated regardless of their criteria. My last statement does not contradict At-Tirmidhi's hadith in which ```A'isha reports the Prophet (SAW) visiting Jannat al-Baqi` (famous grave-yard of Madina) on the night of 15th Sha'ban in which Allah (SWT) descends to the lowest Heaven to forgive the sins, even if they were to exceed the number hairs on the sheep of the tribe of Kalb, as I was referring to specific prayers offered on the night of 15th Sha' ban. It is worth noting that this hadith, as well as being weak, also has a break in its chain of narrators.

AI-Hafiz AI-'Iraqi said the hadith concerning prayers on this night is falsely attributed to the Prophet (SAW) and It is a lie against him.

Imam An-Nawawi, in his book AI-Majmu`ah says:

"The prayer known as Salat-ar-Ragha`ib which consists of twelve rak'ah offered between Maghrib and 'Isha on the first Jumu'ah of the month of Rajab, and the one hundred rak'ah offered on the 15th Sha'ban are the worst kind of Bid'ah."

One should not be deceived by the fact that these prayers have been mentioned in the book of Qut al-Quloob and lhyaa 'Ulum ad-Deen or the hadith quoted in there because they are false. Similarly, one should not be fooled by those Fuqhaha who fail to obtain a clear understanding of this issue and then proceed to write books recommending these prayers, no doubt they are at fault.

Imam Abu Muhammad Abdur-Rahman bin Isma'il AI-Maqdasi has written an extremely competent book on this topic refuting both the above mentioned books. Furthermore, the refutations of countless scholars on the same are too numerous to be quoted. However, I hope that what I have already quoted is sufficient for the sincere seeker of truth. It is manifestly obvious from Qur'an, hadith and the quotations of scholars that celebrating the 15th Sha'ban, offering special prayers or any specific '``Ibadah on this night and fasting the following day is the most contemptible type of Bid'ah innovated after the period of the companions.

Abu Hurayrah reported the Prophet (SAW) as saying:

Don't single out the night of Jumu'ah for praying its day for fasting except if the day happens to coincide with ones habitual fasting. (Muslim)

From this hadith we can deduce that had any night been singled out for special prayers, it would have been the night of Jumu'ah, for according to authentic hadiths this Is the best of days on which the sun rises. It is evident that since the Prophet (SAW) forbade singling out the night of Jumu'ah for any special prayer, why should any other night be preferred for this without reliable proof.

Since special prayers in the night of Lailat ul-Qadr and the other nights of Ramadan are sanctioned by the Shari'ah, the Prophet (SAW) has left personal examples as reported in the Two Sahih (Bukhari & Muslim)

The Prophet (SAW) said that whoever prays in the night of Ramadan with sincere faith and hope of reward, Allah will forgive him all his previous sins. Similarly, had there been any special prayers or celebrations sanctioned by the Shari'ah for the 15th Sha' ban, the first Jumu'ah of Rajab or for the night of Mi'raaj, the Prophet (SAW) would definitely have either mentioned or practised them himself. Had this practice occurred, it would certainly have been reported by the companions and hence transmitted to the Ummah, as they are the best of people and most sincere after the Prophets, may Allah be please with them.

It has now been made perfectly clear from the quotations of the scholars that no evidence can be attributed to the Prophet (SAW) or his companions regarding the virtue of the first Jumu'ah of Rajab and the 15th Sha'ban, so It must be concluded that these two nights are something innovated in Islam and singling them out with any particular '``Ibadah is the worst type of Bid'ah. Similarly, the 27th of Rajab, which some people believe to be the night of Isra and Mi'raaj', should not be celebrated. It is forbidden to single out this night for specific '``Ibadah or celebrate it in any form or manner as proven from the above mentioned proofs.

It is noteworthy that the night of the Prophet (SAW) journey is not known according to the genuine opinions of the scholars and claiming that 27th Rajab is the night of the Isra and Mi'raaj is a false claim as it has no foundation in the authentic hadiths. "The best of things are the predecessors on guidance and truth, and the worst of things are those innovated."

I ask Allah (SWT) to give us the strength to hold on to the Sunnah and remain steadfast on it and be cautious of anything which opposes it. Allah (SWT) is the Most Generous and Most Benevolent. Peace and blessings be upon his slave and Messenger, Muhammad (SAW).

Muslim Woman
07-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Salaam

thanks for sharing . In my country, that's tomorrow night.

Hamza Asadullah
07-26-2010, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam

thanks for sharing . In my country, that's tomorrow night.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, what a wonderful way it is to prepare for Ramadhan. Let us sincerely ask of Allah to forgive our past and present sins and also please remember me in your dua's too. Jazakallahu khayran

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!