/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to learn about Islam

Foundstone
07-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Hello all,

I'm a new member to this forum. I just joined up because I've never really been exposed to much religion or spirituality of any sort, and I was wondering what it was all about. Essentially, I want to be more informed. I think that since over a billion people practice Islam, then I should try to understand what they believe, even if I may not share all of those beliefs. I'm looking for philosophical discussions, and advice on how I can best empathize with people of Islamic faith.

I am on a journey to explore and learn about as many faiths as I can. I'm not necessarily doing this to choose one or not. I simply want to begin down this path and see where it takes me. I'd especially appreciate if some of you would let me know what you believe and why you believe it. If you're interested in my beliefs I would of course be happy to reciprocate also.

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
07-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Peace foundstone,

welcome to the Islamic Board, i hope yo have beneficial and enjoyable stay.

PouringRain
08-02-2010, 04:08 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us a general overview of your beliefs? :? Inquiring minds want to know.

*Hana*
08-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Peace to you Foundstone:

Welcome to LI. You will find an abundance of information when you search the forum that should help you understand Islam. Please feel free to ask any questions you like as nothing is off limits in Islam. Inshallah, we will all do our best to answer or find the answer for you.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Peace,
Hana

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Misz_Muslimah
08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Hope you have a great stay Foundstone..

Asiyah3
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Hello,
Welcome to the forum. Hope you'll have a great and fun journey insha'Allah.

Rhubarb Tart
08-02-2010, 04:51 PM
welcome, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Foundstone
08-11-2010, 01:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
Can you give us a general overview of your beliefs? :? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a while. I've been busy, but I'll try to keep up to date more often now.

Here's a little background on myself and my beliefs:

I'm a 27 year old engineer from Vancouver, Canada. I'm not aware of anyone in my family who is religious, and I couldn't tell you what religion, if any, my ancestors practiced or belonged to. You could say I'm basically a spiritual blank slate. My knowledge of all religions is pretty limited. I don't really have any idea of what the concept of "god" means to people, or how faith affects the way people live their lives.

As for my beliefs, I accept most of the things that science and philosophy can tell us about the universe and reality. I believe that the universe came into existence around 13 to 14 billion years ago. I have no idea how it started existing, or what came before it. I think that life on earth began about 4.5 billion years ago and through the mechanism of natural selection evolved into the vast array of amazing creatures we find around us today. Of course, that includes us, some descendents of other primates, sharing a common ancestor with other modern apes. I think that our minds are patterns of electrochemical signals that are passed around between the neurons in our brains; essentially our minds are software that run on the hardware of our brains. I believe that things like meaning, purpose and values like good and bad are ideas that we humans create. I believe that when we die, the electrochemical pattern in our brains stops operating and so all the information contained within it is lost, but of course much of our influence, ideas, memes, etc. continues on in the world in the minds of other people and in the things that we've written and created and influenced. I often feel an incredible feeling of awe and wonder when I think about things like the vastness of space, the wonders of the natural world, the things that mankind has built, the incredible mechanisms and abilities of the human brain, the way life replicates itself, DNA, relativity, quantum mechanics: the incredible things that mankind has discovered by investigation, clever experiments and reasoning.

Now, I imagine you folks would know better than me where to start exactly, but perhaps an explanation of what the concept of god means to you would be a good starting place for what I want to learn.

Thanks so much!

Woodrow
08-15-2010, 11:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Foundstone
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a while. I've been busy, but I'll try to keep up to date more often now.

Here's a little background on myself and my beliefs:

I'm a 27 year old engineer from Vancouver, Canada. I'm not aware of anyone in my family who is religious, and I couldn't tell you what religion, if any, my ancestors practiced or belonged to. You could say I'm basically a spiritual blank slate. My knowledge of all religions is pretty limited. I don't really have any idea of what the concept of "god" means to people, or how faith affects the way people live their lives.

As for my beliefs, I accept most of the things that science and philosophy can tell us about the universe and reality. I believe that the universe came into existence around 13 to 14 billion years ago. I have no idea how it started existing, or what came before it. I think that life on earth began about 4.5 billion years ago and through the mechanism of natural selection evolved into the vast array of amazing creatures we find around us today. Of course, that includes us, some descendents of other primates, sharing a common ancestor with other modern apes. I think that our minds are patterns of electrochemical signals that are passed around between the neurons in our brains; essentially our minds are software that run on the hardware of our brains. I believe that things like meaning, purpose and values like good and bad are ideas that we humans create. I believe that when we die, the electrochemical pattern in our brains stops operating and so all the information contained within it is lost, but of course much of our influence, ideas, memes, etc. continues on in the world in the minds of other people and in the things that we've written and created and influenced. I often feel an incredible feeling of awe and wonder when I think about things like the vastness of space, the wonders of the natural world, the things that mankind has built, the incredible mechanisms and abilities of the human brain, the way life replicates itself, DNA, relativity, quantum mechanics: the incredible things that mankind has discovered by investigation, clever experiments and reasoning.

Now, I imagine you folks would know better than me where to start exactly, but perhaps an explanation of what the concept of god means to you would be a good starting place for what I want to learn.

Thanks so much!
Welcome to the Forums Foundstone. Just my opinion on a personal basis. I find my concept of God(swt) to be simplistic, but extremely complex to Simplicity in meaning the definition of what I believe to be can be said in very few words. I believe God(swt) to be Supreme,with no equals, partners nor progeny. I believe he is the creator of all things, but is not of his creation. I believe he is eternal, all knowing, all powerful, all just and all merciful.

Ramadhan
08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
God is the creator of all there is, and for muslims, we get to know God through His attributes that He has revealed in the Qur'an.

QS. Al Ikhlas:
Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One,
Allah , the Eternal Refuge.
He neither begets nor is born,
Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

And through the 99 beautiful names that are revealed throughout the Qur'an:

Ar-Rahman 1 The All-Compassionate
Ar-Rahim 2 The All-Merciful
Al-Malik 3 The Absolute Ruler
Al-Quddus 4 The Pure One
As-Salam 5 The Source of Peace
Al-Mu'min 6 The Inspirer of Faith
Al-Muhaymin 7 The Guardian
Al-'Aziz 8 The Victorious
Al-Jabbar 9 The Compeller
Al-Mutakabbir 10 The Greatest
Al-Khaliq 11 The Creator
Al-Bari' 12 The Maker of Order
Al-Musawwir 13 The Shaper of Beauty
Al-Ghaffar 14 The Forgiving
Al-Qahhar 15 The Subduer
Al-Wahhab 16 The Giver of All
Ar-Razzaq 17 The Sustainer
Al-Fattah 18 The Opener
Al-'Alim 19 The Knower of All
Al-Qabid 20 The Constrictor
Al-Basit 21 The Reliever
Al-Khafid 22 The Abaser
Ar-Rafi' 23 The Exalter
Al-Mu'izz 24 The Bestower of Honors
Al-Mudhill 25 The Humiliator
As-Sami 26 The Hearer of All
Al-Basir 27 The Seer of All
Al-Hakam 28 The Judge
Al-'Adl 29 The Just
Al-Latif 30 The Subtle One
Al-Khabir 31 The All-Aware
Al-Halim 32 The Forebearing
Al-'Azim 33 The Magnificent
Al-Ghafur 34 The Forgiver and Hider of Faults
Ash-Shakur 35 The Rewarder of Thankfulness
Al-'Ali 36 The Highest
Al-Kabir 37 The Greatest
Al-Hafiz 38 The Preserver
Al-Muqit 39 The Nourisher
Al-Hasib 40 The Accounter
Al-Jalil 41 The Mighty
Al-Karim 42 The Generous
Ar-Raqib 43 The Watchful One
Al-Mujib 44 The Responder to Prayer
Al-Wasi' 45 The All-Comprehending
Al-Hakim 46 The Perfectly Wise
Al-Wadud 47 The Loving One
Al-Majíd 48 The Majestic One
Al-Ba'ith 49 The Resurrector
Ash-Shahid 50 The Witness
Al-h Haqq 51 The Truth
Al-Wakil 52 The Trustee
Al-Qawi 53 The Possessor of All Strength
Al-Matin 54 The Forceful One
Al-Wáli 55 The Governor
Al-Hamid 56 The Praised One
Al-Muhsi 57 The Appraiser
Al-Mubdi 58 The Originator
Al-Mu'id 59 The Restorer
Al-Muhyi 60 The Giver of Life
Al-Mumit 61 The Taker of Life
Al-Hayy 62 The Ever Living One
Al-Qayyum 63 The Self-Existing One
Al-Wajid 64 The Finder
Al-Májid 65 The Glorious
Al-Wahid 66 The Only One
Al-Ahad 67 The One
As-Samad 68 The Satisfier of All Needs
Al-Qadir 69 The All Powerful
Al-Muqtadir 70 The Creator of All Power
Al-Muqaddim 71 The Expediter
Al-Mu'akhkhir 72 The Delayer
Al-Awwal 73 The First
Al-Akhir 74 The Last
Az-Zahir 75 The Manifest One
Al-Batin 76 The Hidden One
Al-Walí 77 The Protecting Friend
Al-Muta'ali 78 The Supreme One
Al-Barr 79 The Doer of Good
At-Tawwib 80 The Guide to Repentance
Al-Muntaqim 81 The Avenger
Al-Afu 82 The Forgiver
Ar-Ra'uf 83 The Clement
Malik al-Mulk 84 The Owner of All
Dhul-Jalali
Wal-Ikram 85 The Lord of Majesty and Bounty
Al-Muqsit 86 The Equitable One
Al-Jami 87 The Gatherer
Al-Ghani 88 The Rich One
Al-Mughni 89 The Enricher
Al-Mani' 90 The Preventer of Harm
Ad-Darr 91 The Creator of The Harmful
An-Nafi 92 The Creator of Good
An-Nur 93 The Light
Al-Hadi 94 The Guide
Al-Badi 95 The Originator
Al-Baqi 96 The Everlasting One
Al-Warith 97 The Inheritor of All
Ar-Rashid 98 The Righteous Teacher
As-Sabur 99 The Patient One

Muslim Woman
08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Salaam/Peace ;

welcome to the forum . If u have any questions about Islam , pl. feel free to ask.

syed_z
08-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the Forum :)

In addition to what My brothers have posted about God...

The Best Definition that Quran Describes God is This Chapter of the Quran. Dr Zakir Naik a famous Scholar of Islam calls this Surah, Touchstone of Theology. Theo Means God and ology means study. This Surah (i.e Chapter) of Quran is the 112th Surah is called Surah Ikhlas (Chapter of Declaration of (God's) Perfection) and it Defines God in the Best manner...

112:1-4

Say "He is the One God"

"God the Eternal, the Uncaused cause of All That Exists."

"He begets not niether is He Begotten."

"and there is nothing that could be compared with Him."

This is understanding of God in Islam. If you try comprehending, then why this Surah is the touchstone of study of God, because under the light of this Surah whoever or any one who claims to be a God or is said by people to be a god, can be observed and can easily be tested and seen whether that "god" is a True God. Any one who fits in the description given in these Verses, then we can accept him to be God, and so only a True God can fit in the description of those Verses. And we can anaylize that...

If we analyze these Verses, the 1st Verse says "He is One" i.e there cannot be a 2nd, if thats the case then they will fight, as there is a famous saying 2 Kings cannot occupy one throne.

"God the Eternal, The Uncaused Cause of all that Exists."
..... If God lived from such and such time to such and such time, then He cannot be God, because God is some one who is above space and time and is some one who created space and time, as everything vanishes after a particular period because it exists in space and time. Even our Entire solar system will one day vanish. So if He existed beginning from such and such period of time, then He cannot truly be God as then that means some one has to create him ? Then if He was created then who is the Creator of Al Mighty Creator himself ? That does'nt make any sense either, so A True God is one who is not Created and is Eternal and only therefore He can be The Al Mighty Creator who created everything.

"He begets not niether is He Begotten." ...
so He does not have a Father or a Mother, because God i.e Allah in Islam is niether a Male or Female or in between, because There is None Like Him.

"and there is nothing that could be compared with Him."..
the Moment we compare any thing in the Universe with God, then He ceases to be God. Creator creates creation and is above all of His creation! For God can only be some one Unique and cannot resemble anything! And so with the end of the last Verse, this is the Concept of God in Islam

By the way We call God .. Allah in Arabic ..Al means Only, then Illah means God. So its Al and Illah, i.e joined together in Arabic pronounced as Allah.

Even the name is Unique. Why do i say such ? Because for example the word God can be played with, you put an 's' in the end it can become plural Gods and if you add 'ess' in the end, it can be pronounced as godess , a female god. But in the Arabic language , the word Allah , there is no such thing as Allah with 's' Allahs or 'ess' in the end which can be called Allahess , basically in Arabic the word Allah cannot be played with, and so even the Name Allah which has been given by Himself in the Ancient Arabic , i.e Quranic Arabic, is Unique just like Himself.

So hope you enjoy your stay, and many brothers/sisters in Islam here can answer other questions for you... :)

I believe that things like meaning, purpose and values like good and bad are ideas that we humans create. I believe that when we die, the electrochemical pattern in our brains stops operating and so all the information contained within it is lost, but of course much of our influence, ideas, memes, etc. continues on in the world in the minds of other people and in the things that we've written and created and influenced.
Btw , in Islam everything is well recorded and is not lost when one dies. Rather we move on to the Next stage.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!