/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabic names only choice?

nousername
07-29-2010, 05:43 AM
ASalamu Alaykum,

I was wondering if it's wrong to name a child with a non-Arab name? It's not that I don't love my Islam and am not proud to be a Muslim, but maybe because I am a convert I am just not feeling that I love Arab names. I named my son the only names that I really like, and he is named Zane Mohamed (last name). Of course any name I would choose would have a really good meaning.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Vigno
07-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Asalamu alekum

Firstly i would like to say may Allah bestow His blessings upon you and your family, ameen. About your question, I found some information and I hope it helps you.
But first I would like to give you an advice. You know there are many muslim names that are so beautiful for boys and girls, but I really understand what you feel about Arab names because you are new to Islam so its very normal :). Ok now the info I found : -

When naming a child, Muslims must avoid names which are prohibited or disliked in Islam. These forbidden names fall into four main categories:

• Names That Connote Idolatry - It is forbidden for Muslims to give their children names that have idolatrous meanings, such as Abdul-Shams ("Servant of the Sun") or Abdul-Nabi ("Servant of the Prophet").
  • Names That Are Befitting of God Alone - It would be arrogant and idolatrous for a human being to be given one of Allah's names, such as Malik Al-Mulk ("The King of Kings") or Al-Khaliq ("The Creator").
  • Names of Tyrants - It is disliked for Muslims to use the names of historical figures or famous people who were idolaters or tyrants, such as Pharoah or Abu Jahl.
  • Names With Bad Meanings - Muslims should not give their children names with disliked meanings, such as Hazn ("Rugged") or Harb ("War"). These are examples of names that the Prophet Muhammad ordered changed during his lifetime.

The most important consideration when choosing a name for your child is that it has an appropriate, Islamic meaning.

May Allah guide us all on our path
Jazaki Allah khiir

Asalamu Alekum

sister herb
07-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Salam alaykum

Names With Bad Meanings - Muslims should not give their children names with disliked meanings, such as Hazn ("Rugged") or Harb ("War"). These are examples of names that the Prophet Muhammad ordered changed during his lifetime.
My family name is Harb (war) and I can´t shame to keep this name. Harb is large Palestinian family. Many of its members are martyrs.

I am proud to be Harb.

your sister in Islam,
sister Harb

Vigno
07-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Asalamu Alekum

Sister in islam i meant no insult to you or your family, may Allah show mercy on them all and grant them paradise, ameen. It is just what Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) said. But that doesnt mean you should feel shame, you should ever be proud. Yet we should all remember that Islam is a religion of peace.

Jazaki Allah khiir sister

Your brother in Islam

Asalamu Alekum

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
07-29-2010, 07:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vigno
Asalamu Alekum

Sister in islam i meant no insult to you or your family, may Allah show mercy on them all and grant them paradise, ameen. It is just what Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) said. But that doesnt mean you should feel shame, you should ever be proud. Yet we should all remember that Islam is a religion of peace.

Jazaki Allah khiir sister

Your brother in Islam

Asalamu Alekum
Salam alaykum;

no problem my brother in Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!