PDA

View Full Version : Look what i found



Ummu Sufyaan
08-01-2010, 09:06 AM
:sl:
domestic violence in the muslim community is unfortunately existent and not much seems to be done about it. unfortunately our sisters and their kids have no-one to turn to and when they do find somewhere to turn to, its usually with the kuffar.

alhamdulillah though, there is Baitus Salaam
The Baitul Salaam Residence for Abused and Neglected Women and Children

Since November 1, 1999 the shelter program has housed 615 women and children from various parts of the US and five foreign countries (Pakistan, India, Egypt, Ghana and Tanzania). Through our outreach program we have assisted thousands with gas money and bus fare (for job search), referrals for medical assistance, housing, legal and many other service
Source


i think the following video is about a year old, but its none-the-less useful...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1plNTlbGLY

the organization's website is here

please pass this around to raise awareness for this
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
أحمد
08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
:sl:
domestic violence in the muslim community is unfortunately existent and not much seems to be done about it. unfortunately our sisters and their kids have no-one to turn to and when they do find somewhere to turn to, its usually with the kuffar.

alhamdulillah though, there is Baitus Salaam

Source


i think the following video is about a year old, but its none-the-less useful...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1plNTlbGLY

the organization's website is here

please pass this around to raise awareness for this
:sl:

:Alhumdill Baitus Salaam's doing something about the problem. It is unfortunate that such a problem exists within the muslim community; it just goes to show how much distance there is between Islam and the muslims in general.

:inshallah the community will wake up one day.

:wa:
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Jazakallahu Khaayr for sharing sistah
Reply

PouringRain
08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Good thread, Ummu Sufyaan. Ironically, I was reading an article on this in a Christian magazine just yesterday. It had some good points that I believe could apply to Islam as well. The article talked about how often women might be abused and they fear coming forward or telling others, because they are led to believe that it is their own fault for not being submissive enough. It talked about how when churches preach submission, then men and women often misunderstand, and it gives license to the abuser. The women feel they can not turn to the church, because the church tells them to submit and to try and avoid divorce at all costs. The women feel trapped and have no place to turn for help. (I did a bad job summerizing the article, so I hope some of what I said makes sense. LOL ) The stats say that on average more than three women are killed by a spouse or boyfriend every day.

I agree that there needs to be more awareness and places within the religious community where women feel comfortable turning to for help.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Rhubarb Tart
08-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by PouringRain
Good thread, Ummu Sufyaan. Ironically, I was reading an article on this in a Christian magazine just yesterday. It had some good points that I believe could apply to Islam as well. The article talked about how often women might be abused and they fear coming forward or telling others, because they are led to believe that it is their own fault for not being submissive enough. It talked about how when churches preach submission, then men and women often misunderstand, and it gives license to the abuser. The women feel they can not turn to the church, because the church tells them to submit and to try and avoid divorce at all costs. The women feel trapped and have no place to turn for help. (I did a bad job summerizing the article, so I hope some of what I said makes sense. LOL ) The stats say that on average more than three women are killed by a spouse or boyfriend every day.

I agree that there needs to be more awareness and places within the religious community where women feel comfortable turning to for help.
I think that article you read can be applied to Muslims as well.

Jazakallahu Khaayr for sharing Ummu Sufyaan
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by PouringRain
Good thread, Ummu Sufyaan. Ironically, I was reading an article on this in a Christian magazine just yesterday. It had some good points that I believe could apply to Islam as well. The article talked about how often women might be abused and they fear coming forward or telling others, because they are led to believe that it is their own fault for not being submissive enough. It talked about how when churches preach submission, then men and women often misunderstand, and it gives license to the abuser. The women feel they can not turn to the church, because the church tells them to submit and to try and avoid divorce at all costs. The women feel trapped and have no place to turn for help. (I did a bad job summerizing the article, so I hope some of what I said makes sense. LOL ) The stats say that on average more than three women are killed by a spouse or boyfriend every day.

I agree that there needs to be more awareness and places within the religious community where women feel comfortable turning to for help.
what do you mean by that? please expand. I don't recall Islam advocating for domestic violence.
Reply

PouringRain
08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
what do you mean by that? please expand. I don't recall Islam advocating for domestic violence.

And neither was I, nor my post, in any way advocating for domestic violence. Nor was I implying that Islam, nor Christianity, advocates for it in any way. I guess I am not sure how to answer your question, since you clearly misunderstood my entire post. imsad

The reason that I felt the article and points could apply to both religions is because both teach submission of the wife unto the husband, and the things you spoke of in your original post were the same things spoken of in the article I read, so I saw some obvious parallels and similarities. It is also my observation that submission is often misunderstood.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
08-04-2010, 09:08 AM
^i see. thank you for the clarification.
i did understand your post, but that part kind of sounded a bit...odd. you should rather have said that some Muslims/Muslim cultures abuse Islam and misuse and misinterpret it and not that it was Islam specifically. it sort of came across the wrong way =).

peace.
Reply

PouringRain
08-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Ummu Sufyaan, sorry if I caused any misunderstanding. Yes, sadly, people of both our religions misinterpret and misuse scripture.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!