/* */

PDA

View Full Version : when a person dies

innocent
08-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I am confused. When a person dies is the soul removed by the angel of death straight away? I thought that is what happened but then I read that the dead person feels pain. So can someone please explain to me what is right. If the soul of the person is removed then who is feeling the pain?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM
i heard its painful even for the believer but im not 100 percent sure whether this is true or not. ive heard if a person was really good servant of Allah he does not feel anything.

Abdul Wahid
08-06-2010, 06:49 PM
:sl: sister

What we have to realise is that a person who has done good will have an easy death. Those that have sinned continously without repenting will have a terrible painful death including the evil, wicked people of this world.

There is no doubt that every soul shall taste death. ALLAH(SWST) also said that every soul shall taste the death: "Every soul shall have taste of death; In the end to us shall ye be brought back. (Surah Al-'Ankabut The Spider 29:57)
While life and death are from ALAH(SWT), we have to remember that they are to take place with the permission of ALLAH(SWT) alone. Each one's life and death are decided by ALLAH(SWT). It is stated in the Qur'an. "Nor can a soul die except by God as leave, the term being fixed as by writing. Many do desire a reward in this life, we shall give it to him, and if any do desire a reward In the hereafter, we shall give it to him. And swiftly shall we reward those that (serve us with) gratitude. "(Surah Al-'Imran -The family of Imraan 3:145)
Everyone has a fixed period of life given to them when they are born. We don't live longer or shorter than the fixed periods of life. This is the Qadr of ALLAH(SWT). When this period of life is finished the Angel of Death will take our soul from our body.

Often the subject of death scares us because we don't know much about it including the life in the grave & the life after death. We are afraid because of our ignorance. Why? Well because what is to come is unseen & unfamiliar. Due to this we are unprepared.

ALLAH(SWT) has assigned an angel responsible for taking our souls out of our body. The angel's name in the Qur'an is (Malakul- Maut) Angel of Death. ALLAH(SWT) informs us in Holy Quran: "Say: "The Angel of Death put in charge of you, will (duly) take your souls: Then shall ye be brought back to your Lord."( Surah Al-Sajdah- Prostration:32:11)

This angel knows us better than our parents know us. He knows where we are and how we are to die. His main responsibilities is extracting the soul out of the flesh. He can enter any and every place where a person is to die, in order to perform his duty, even if we hide ourselves in fortresses. In Surah Al-Nisaa' (The Women) ALLAH(SWT) says the following: Wherever you are, death will find you out, even if you are towers built up strong and high. (4:78)

As far as the removal of the soul from the flesh is concerned, the Angel of Death will extract it from good people with ease. For those who are bad, the removal of the soul is tough and difficult. The Qur'anic expression for the removal of the soul from hypocrites and disbelievers is horrifying: More than one angel are to work together. They beat the face and back of the deceased while extracting the soul, otherwise, it will come out with difficulty. Allah says in Surah Al-Anfal (The Spoils of War) the following: If you could see, when the angels take the souls of the unbelievers (at death), how they smite their faces and their backs, saying: taste the penalty of the blazing fire. Because of the deeds which your own hands sent forth: For God is never unjust to his servants. (8:50-51)

The Hadith of the Prophet(pbuh) about extracting the soul from the flesh of bad people is summarized as follows: Al-Baraa'Ibn 'Azib narrated that the Prophet(pbuh) said: If an unbelieving servant is more concerned with the worldly life than he is about the other life, tarfaced angels descend from the sky. These angels, who are carrying bad smelling fragrance, sit in near proximity to the dying unbeliever. Then the Angel of Death descends and places himself near the head of the unbeliever. The Angel of Death says: 'O bad soul! Come out to Allah's curse and anger.' The Prophet(pbuh) said: The soul disperses in the dying person's body. The Angel of Death grabs the soul like a sufud (a piece of metal stuck in wet wool). The Angel of Death takes the soul without letting it stay in his hand for even an instance. Then the angels put a rough garment that smells bad on the deceased's soul. The soul comes out having a very foul smell.

For those who are good, the Quran informs us that the extraction and pulling out the soul from flesh is very easy. The dying person will not feel the pain from the removal of the soul from his body. It will be as easy as pulling a strand of hair out of some dough. The Hadith of the Prophet(pbuh) narrated by Al-Baraa'Ibn 'Azib states the following: If the believing servant refrains from coverting material things in his temporal life and desires the hereafter, white-faced angels descend from the sky. Their faces shine as brightly as the sun. They carry with them funeral garb and hanut (fragrance) from Heavan. They sit in near proximity to the dying person. The Angel of Death (may Allah bless him) comes and sits near the dying person's head, saying: O good soul, come out to Allah's mercy and forgiveness.

The Prophet(pbuh) said: The soul comes out like a drop of water being poured out. Then the Angel takes the soul, without letting it stand in his hand; releases it like a blink. The other angels take the soul and clothe it in funeral gard and hanut. From that soul comes the best smell, one resembling the best musk on earth.

I hope thats helped sister. We have to make an effort to remeber death. Our beloved Prophet(pbuh) reminded us that we have to remember death, as it is the one that defeats all types of pleasures. Narrated by Ibn Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) that the Messenger of ALLAH(pbuh) said: "Increase your remembrance of the One which defeats pleasures" While we are to remember death, we have to prepare ourselves to meet it - before it meets us. In this regard our beloved Prophet (pbuh) said: ''Do for your life as if you are to live eternally, and do for the hereafter as if you are to die tomorrow. ''

Also remeber that we are here on a trial basis, we are here on a temporary basis, and we are here for a passage to Paradise or Hell . The real life of an eternal rest is that of the hereafter. In this respect ALLAH(SWT) says: "O my People! This life of the present is nothing but (temporary) convenience. It is the Hereafter that is the Home that will last. "(Surah Al Mu'min -The Believer: (40 39)

Life in this world is a temporary one. The real (Permanent) life is the one of Life Hereafter. In this respect the Qur'an states: "What is the life of this world but amusement and play? But verily the Home in the Hereafter, that is life indeed, it they but knew." (Surah Al-Ankabut -The Spider: (29:64)

One doctor who has witnessed approximately 100 Muslim deaths and has been in the position of hearing their final words mentioned that Only three people out of the 100 were fotunate to have died with the Kalimah at the moment of death. Others died with worldly concerns on their lips e.g. some were talking about matters of their estate, others prasing the names of film heroes. One was singing & asked for a milkshake.

Its imperative that we do as much ibadat as possible & do it with sincerity so that out last few words are the Kalimah.

Check this out if you want: The Purification of the Soul

http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Puri...nOfTheSoul.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11600675/H...on-of-the-Soul

Also listen to this - it goes through everything in detail:

In this series, the Imam vividly portrays the different phases the human soul passes through during its lifetime up to its death as well as the process of judgment of souls and the resulting eternal life in Heaven or Hell in the Hereafter. In breathtaking style the listener hears of the events that occur just before death and the events that come after it. The Imam gives a clear description about life in the grave, the horrors of the last day, the major and minor signs leading to the last hour and the day of resurrection. The Imam crowns this eloquently narrated lecture with the process of accountability and recompense. On the Day of Judgment those who pass the test will be rewarded with Paradise and those who fail will be rewarded with Hellfire.

http://hoor-al-ayn.com/lectures/anwar-al-awlaki/

innocent
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Jazakallah khair for answers.
What about when a person has died and a post mortem is done on the body. I have heard that the body feels the pain of the post mortem and also you must be very gentle when handling the dead body as it can feel pain. What i want to know is if the the soul is removed at the time of death then who is feeling this pain of handling the body?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul Wahid
08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
Jazakallah khair for answers.
What about when a person has died and a post mortem is done on the body. I have heard that the body feels the pain of the post mortem and also you must be very gentle when handling the dead body as it can feel pain. What i want to know is if the the soul is removed at the time of death then who is feeling this pain of handling the body?
:sl:

I think its best to contact an imam/scholar who can give you the answers you are looking for. Check this out anyway. It maybe of some help:

Are post-mortems allowed in Islam for a valid reason?

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

A very important and fundamental principle should be remembered with regards to the human body in that the human body, whether dead or alive, is considered sacred according to Islam. Thus cutting it, mutilating it and tampering with it in any way is considered blameworthy and unlawful.

Allah Most High says:

“And verily we have honored the children of Adam.” (Surah al-Isra, V.70)

A human body is sacred even after death. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Breaking the bone of a dead person is similar (in sin) to breaking the bone of a living person”. (Sunan Abu Dawud, Sunan Ibn Majah & Musnad Ahmad)

Imam, Abu Ja’far al-Tahawi (Allah have mercy on him) states in the explanation of this Hadith:

“The Hadith shows that the bone of a dead person has the same sanctity and honour as the bone of living person”. (Sharh Mushkil al-Athar)

Allama Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him) states:

“A human being is honoured according to Shariah even if one is a non-believer (kafir), and the meaning is that one’s body and organs are sacred. Hence, it will not be permissible to even break the bone of a dead non-believer’s body.” (Radd al-Muhtar)

Thus the human body, dead or alive, has great significance. It is honoured and sacred, and because of the sanctity that is attached to it, it will be unlawful to tamper with it, cut parts of it or dishonour it in any way.

Based on this very important principle, many scholars have declared that carrying out post-mortems is unlawful, because it violates the sanctity of the human body. Cutting and dissecting the human body cannot be considered permissible regardless of what beneficial results may stem out from carrying out a post-mortem.

Moreover, in carrying out a post-mortem, the body of the deceased person will be stripped naked. This, in itself, is also not permitted without a genuine and valid reason, they say.

Also, the body will be denied the many injunctions and rituals prescribed by Shariah, such as promptly burying it, not transferring it from one place to another, ritual bath (ghusl), shrouding (kafn), etc.

Due to the above reasons, these contemporary scholars have declared that post-mortems are unlawful unless when there is a genuine need, such as for criminal identifications and when one is forced by law.

They state that Muslims, living in places where post-mortems become necessary by law, should struggle in order to avoid post-mortems, because the benefits can be obtained from other sources also. However, if one is compelled by law, it would be permitted due to need and necessity.

On the other hand, some contemporary scholars are somewhat relaxed with the issue of post-mortems. They put forth examples of Islamic jurisprudence (fiqh) where permission is given to cut open the dead body due to need. For example:

If a pregnant woman dies with her baby alive in her stomach, it will be necessary to cut open her body and remove the baby. However, if the baby was also dead, it will not be permitted to cut open her body. (See: al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya and Fath al-Qadir)

Imam al-Kasani (Allah have mercy on him) states:

“If a pregnant woman died with her child trapped in her stomach, then if it is thought the child will be alive, her stomach will be cut open, because we have been faced with two evils and we are choosing the lesser of the two. Cutting open the dead mother’s stomach is lesser of an evil than killing the living baby.”
(Bada’i al-Sana’i, 5/129)

Another example is that of a person who unjustifiably and unlawfully swallowed a precious item, like a gemstone, of another person and then died. In such a case, if the one whose precious item he swallowed was to demand compensation, then if the deceased person left some money behind, it will be paid from his leftover wealth. However, if he left nothing behind, his body will be cut open and the precious stone or item will be removed from him and returned to its owner. (See: Fath al-Qadir and al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya)

Thus, in light of the above two examples, this group of scholars give permission for carrying out post-mortems. They state that, based on the rule of “choosing the lesser of two evils” post-mortems would be justified even for medical research and scientific purposes.

The reason being-they say- is that in carrying out medical research on few dead bodies, we are saving the lives of many others. By compromising one aspect (of dishonouring the human body) there is larger benefit at stake. By carrying out post-mortems, medical students will benefit, justice will prevail and also contagious diseases will be controlled. (See: Khalid Sayf Allah Rahmani, Jadid Fiqhi Masa’il, 1/ 203 & others)

In my personal view, I think post-mortems should only be restricted to cases of need, such as when one is compelled by law for the purpose of criminal identification. However, carrying out post-mortems for medical research should be avoided, especially when the objective can be obtained by operating on animals and plastic bodies.

As far as the work of the doctor is concerned, if post-mortem is a legal requirement, then it would be permitted for him/her to perform the post-mortem. However, if that is not the case, one should avoid it.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa
Leicester , UK.

http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/postmortem1.htm

Rhubarb Tart
08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
What about murder? What do Islamic countries do if they want to find out more on how the person was killed?

Also, I want to donate my organs when I am dead and alive, so am I allowed?

I am asking these questions after reading the above.

Rhubarb Tart
08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Don't worry found the information for my questions.

Snowflake
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
One doctor who has witnessed approximately 100 Muslim deaths and has been in the position of hearing their final words mentioned that Only three people out of the 100 were fotunate to have died with the Kalimah at the moment of death.

Astaghfirullah. May Allah make the shahadah our last words. However, it doesn't mean that someone who didn't recite shahadah on their death bed won't enter paradise.

Others died with worldly concerns on their lips e.g. some were talking about matters of their estate, others prasing the names of film heroes. One was singing & asked for a milkshake
SubhanAllah. May Allah forgive them & protect us from such an end. Ameen :(

Hamza Asadullah
08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, Death will be painful regardless of how we lived this life for that is the reality of death.

Agony of death (sakr al-mawt) means unconscious state of a person who is about to die. Materials which cause drowsiness in one’s mind are generally called “muskir” or “musakkir”. That word is also used to mean agony, love, sorrow, heedlessness or faint caused by a pain, and that state is called “sakr”, which is what we also mean here. That is to say; what is meant with “sakarat” which is the plural form of “sakr” is the agony and fainting when one is about to die.

Accordingly, “sakarat al-mawt” which is a Quranic term means “unconsciousness when one is about to die, which signals one’s death.”

As we all know, death is the soul’s leaving the body, and death causes agony. As a matter of fact, it is stated in a Quranic verse that sakarat al-mawt will find those who escape from death, sooner or later. (al-Qaf, 50/19).

As narrated from Hazrat Aisha, there was always a cup of water by the Prophet’s side during his last sickness. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) used to dip his blessed hand into water and rub it onto his face and say: “There is no god but Allah. There is agony of death, for sure.” Then he raised his hands and said “ to Rafiqu’l-A’la” (the highest abode) until his soul was taken away and his hands fell down. (Bukhari, Riqaq, 42). In another hadith narrated from Hazrat Aisha, after dipping his hand into water and wetting his face, the Messenger of Allah (pbuh), raised his hands and prayed: “My Allah, help me in agony and unconsciousness of death.” (Ibn Majah, Janaiz, 64; Tirmidhi, Janaiz, 8).

Hazrat Aisha narrates: “Having seen the agony the Prophet suffered while dying, I will not envy anyone’s easy death.” (Tirmidhi, Dead, 8). In another narration, Hazrat Aisha said: “The Messenger of Allah died on my chest. Having seen it with the Messenger of Allah, I will not consider the severity of death bad for anyone.” (Nasai, Dead, 6).

It is stated in the religious sources that people who are on the straight way while they are alive, that is, who believe and comply with prohibitions attentively will experience an easy death and Angel of Death will treat them gently. And those who live a life contrary to it will experience a violent death and the Angel of Death will treat those people, who have spent their lives in infidelity, rebel and evil deeds, harshly. However, it is not an unchangeable rule. Sometimes while beloved slaves of Allah die in agony, those who spent their lives rebelling against Allah die easily.

As a matter of fact, the agony the Messenger of Allah suffered during dying was very severe. After Prophet Moses’ soul was taken away, Allah asked him how he found death; he said: “I felt like a sparrow being fried in a pan; neither does it die so that it will rest, nor can it escape so that it can fly away”. It signals that death can sometimes be harsh for the beloved slaves of Allah. And according to another narration, Moses said: “like a sheep being skinned at the hands of a butcher.” (see: Hasan Idwi, Mashariq, Egypt, 1316, p.15).

Although the Prophet (pbuh) said that people who had little sins would die easily and that there would be no fear or hardship for true believers who uttered the expression of “tawhid” at the time of death (Munziri, at-Targhib wa’t-Tarhib, 2/416-417), what is the reason of the severe agony those people, whom the Quran informed that their lives after death will be at the highest level of bliss, suffered at the time of death?

Islamic scholars have said that the reasons why people suffer at the time of death are different from each other. (see Hasan Idwi, ibid., 40). Accordingly, the reason of severe sakarat al-mawt is one of the four reasons below:

1- Allah makes those whose spiritual level He wants to increase more suffer at the time of death. This is the reason why the agonies of Prophets and saintly slaves of Allah suffer are so severe. As they endure the agony of death patiently, their level in the eyes of Allah increases. For this reason, none of the eminent people complained about the agony of death; and they always prayed Allah to increase their levels.

2- Allah makes the agony of death severe for people whose sins He wants to forgive, as ransom for their sins. A true believer will have a remuneration for all pains and agonies suffers in life, even the pain caused by a thorn pricked on his foot, and as this remuneration will be the forgiveness of a sin in case he does not have any sins, he will be gaining thawab (Tirmidhi, Janaiz, 1); of course, the agony of death will not be in vain. Hazrat Umar, who comprehended that truth, said: “If something from a believer’s sins he committed in life still remains – after repentance – Allah makes the agony of death severe for him. Eventually, his soul enters Heaven. And if an infidel did something good in life, Allah makes the agony of death easy for him, as remuneration for his good deeds, and sends him to Hell as he took the remuneration of his good deeds in life.”

If there are any unbelievers who die easily, we should not emulate them; we should emulate those who will have a peaceful life after death. As a matter of fact, remuneration for unbelievers is pain in this world, while remuneration for believers is paid both in this world and the other world. Allah the Glorious orders Muslims not to be surprised by the abundance unbelievers live in and emulate it (at-Tawbah 9:55). We do not emulate unbelievers who die easily; besides it rarely happens. Generally, their agony starts with death. Angels make them suffer while taking away their souls. As it will be explained later in this article, it is just the beginning of their agony.

Umar b. Abdulaziz (v. 101/720), who comprehended that agony of death will be a ransom for a believer’s sins, says: “I do not want that agony of death be eased for me, I do not desire it because, it is the last ransom which covers a believer’s sins and increases his level.” (Ibn Hajar, Fathu’l-bari, 11/365).

In addition to a believer’s agony of death compensating for his sins, angels will give him the good news and treat him gently, allowing him into happiness of reaching Allah. And the believer will not feel the agony of death within the happiness of reaching Allah. It is like that in life too. When one has remuneration for something he achieved going through many difficulties, he forgets the difficulties he had right away as if he had never experienced them.

3- Some of the ones whose agony of death is severe are tested once more at the last moment of their life on earth, which is totally a place of examination, and they are put through the last trial. That is to say, the reason why they suffer at the time of death is testing and trying. Of course, they will get their remuneration eventually.

4- There are people whose agony of death is harsh because it is the beginning of their punishment; they are unbelievers and cruel, unfair people who have not had the honor of believing in life and always occupied themselves with evil deeds. The Quran depicts their state as follows: “the angels stretch forth their hands, (saying),"Yield up your souls: this day shall ye receive your reward, - a penalty of shame, for that ye used to tell lies against God, and scornfully to reject of His signs!” (al-An’am 6:93). The verse states that unbelievers and cruel, unfair people will suffer while dying. “Angels’ stretching forth their hands” as stated in the verse means their beating them, which was sent down for idolaters who attended the Battle of Badr, yet its judgment is for all infidels as it can be seen clearly in the following verse: “If thou couldst see, when the angels take the souls of the Unbelievers (at death), (How) they smite their faces and their backs, (saying): "Taste the penalty of the blazing Fire!” (al-Anfal 8:50).

The Quran interpreters (commentators) have said that the beating stated in the verse means torment. The torment in the form of beating lasts until their souls leave their bodies. What is meant by saying “yield up your souls” is this: Angels tell them they will have punishment, torment, thirst, handcuffs and chains, Hell and boiling water and Allah’s wrath. Then their souls separate into pieces and hesitate to leave their bodies. Then angels beat those unbelievers until their souls leave their bodies, saying “yield up your souls!”. It means “let your souls out of your bodies”. And they say you will be punished with insulting torment today because you denied Allah and you were too arrogant to obey His verses and to comply with His Messengers in life. In this way, their suffering becomes more and more severe, just like water covers up one drowning in it so too are they covered with fear and beating.

So let us live our lives the best we can and ask of Allah to give us good deaths and for Allah to lessen our pain during it.

and Allah knows best in all matters

Source: http://www.questionsonislam.com/inde...ow_qna&id=1657

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!