/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Spoilt

h-n
08-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Should have placed this thread on earlier. I think there is an issue of the younger generation being provided for by their parents etc, and there are people who are not used to fending for themselves in this world.

1. We buy so much ready made goods, and even our houses are ready made, if we were to start from scratch, of course people would find it daunting.

2. There is a less decision making, people are quick to be competitive, show off to others, but when there is a natural disaster, people wait to see what the other people are going to be doing, as they are less confident about knowing what to do.

I have an example, whilst I was on a dinner break, my workplace fire alarm went off, and this was no drill. Now I was informed by my colleagues that they were unsure about what to do, and they were actually waiting for someone else to make the first move!! This is their lives and they can't even walk out of the door. They were also waiting for management, anyhow, they did precede to get out and the one female manager told them to get back inside, even though she had not checked if it was a drill or not. People did get back inside, and as far as I was aware, it Senior manager's brought her up on this.

3. I think the older generation were more capable of standing up on their own two feet and making choices and doing whatever it takes to get things done. I think that nowadays people are more used to waiting for someone else to help them out of a bad situation etc.

What does anyone else think???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-08-2010, 02:03 AM
:sl:

The price of becoming dependent on government assistance is lose of self responsibility. Big government is not benevolent it is captivity and part of the chain for holding people captive is loss of self responsibility.

How often do we hear the words "somebody needs to do something". Guess what you, me and each of us are the somebody.

Protected people are not protected, they are trapped in ignorance and have had self thinking and self responsibility taken away from them. We only have one master and that master is Allaah(swt) the minute we accept assistance from any agency, we risk becoming dependent on that agency and they become our master. This may just be a form of shirk.

PouringRain
08-08-2010, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

How often do we hear the words "somebody needs to do something". Guess what you, me and each of us are the somebody.
Your line, combined with h_n's example of emergencies, made me think of the bystander effect. :) I realize that was not your intention with your line, in relation to the rest of your post. The bystander effect would certainly fit in with what h_n is talking about as well, though. While the bystander effect is not talking about dependence upon others, is does demonstrate an unwillingness to act, because people assume everyone else will. The more people who are standing around, the less likely someone is to act.

Yes, h_n, I agree that people are often too dependent upon others to do for them, that they become handicapped from doing on their own. Even little things such as cooking. It is common to hear people joke about how they would burn water if they tried. Or look how few women can even sew a button or mend a shirt. Everything is instant and disposable-- including people.

h-n
08-08-2010, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
:sl:

The price of becoming dependent on government assistance is lose of self responsibility. Big government is not benevolent it is captivity and part of the chain for holding people captive is loss of self responsibility.

Protected people are not protected, they are trapped in ignorance and have had self thinking and self responsibility taken away from them. We only have one master and that master is Allaah(swt) the minute we accept assistance from any agency, we risk becoming dependent on that agency and they become our master. This may just be a form of shirk.
That is true, people make excuses that they pay their taxes, but of course that does not mean the government is suddenly your Protector, Sustainer. You are in this world being tested, and being reliant on Government is nothing to be proud about on the Day of Judgement. There are people that quote nationalism and when the Governments fail, they start complaining, reminds me of idol worship, why bother looking at something that cannot benefit you. At the end of the day they are the ones who are forcing people to pay taxes, and allow interest to occur. It is an oppression and slavery, if someone told you, you have to sit there in the same place that you don't owe and spend 25 years paying for it, then what is that really called freedom?? People are only in this world for a short amount of time and not here for interest. Which charging interest is a sin, even in the Judaism etc. Cannot get off topic about interest but yes should spend more time trying to do things for oneself too.

There was this article recently some people don't know how to change a lightbulb!!! Imagine calling someone in just to change your lightbulb, maybe even paying someone to do that, that's just embarrassing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lightbulb.html

Yes, there are provisions for people ie on benefits etc, but that does not mean that we can't get up and be more self sustainable ie grow your own vegtables etc.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
h-n
08-08-2010, 02:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
Your line, combined with h_n's example of emergencies, made me think of the bystander effect. :) I realize that was not your intention with your line, in relation to the rest of your post. The bystander effect would certainly fit in with what h_n is talking about as well, though. While the bystander effect is not talking about dependence upon others, is does demonstrate an unwillingness to act, because people assume everyone else will. The more people who are standing around, the less likely someone is to act.

Yes, h_n, I agree that people are often too dependent upon others to do for them, that they become handicapped from doing on their own. Even little things such as cooking. It is common to hear people joke about how they would burn water if they tried. Or look how few women can even sew a button or mend a shirt. Everything is instant and disposable-- including people.
Yes, that's right, that a good word for it bystanders.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I see 3 "Spoilt" threads :-\

or maybe its just my eyes Subhaan`Allaah.

h-n
08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
I see 3 "Spoilt" threads :-\

or maybe its just my eyes Subhaan`Allaah.
There is only 1 "Spoilt" thread that I had posted.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!