/* */

PDA

View Full Version : So Ramadan is tomorrow?

جوري
08-10-2010, 06:22 PM
:sl:

My mom just called me and said they sighted it in 'sohag' which is a county in Egypt.. are we unanimous this year insha'Allah or are there some fasting today and some on Thursday as usual?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul-Raouf
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
For us (Chennai) it would be mostly on thursday....cos today (Aug 10) is sha'ban 28 here.

جوري
08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
this must be done by moon sighting not by standard date no?

IslamicRevival
08-10-2010, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

My mom just called me and said they sighted it in 'sohag' which is a county in Egypt.. are we unanimous this year insha'Allah or are there some fasting today and some on Thursday as usual?

It all depends on where you are from. For example, Saudi may do it tomorrow, many in the UK may do it today. It all depends on the sighting of the moon in your area of the world.

On my local mosque calendar, Ramadhan starts tomorrow, taraweeh is today..But another mosque nearby is starting Ramadhan on Thursday with Taraweeh on Wednesday

Im still unsure when we will start Ramadhans, InshAllah will find out soon, In the end, It comes down to interpretation.

www.Moonsighting.com provides you all the info you need

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul-Raouf
08-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes. Its the same here tooo.... but duno why we sight only a day after... We do go to masjid top / house top ..search for a while.

Over here...in our state...the head haji of the state government ...declares it as well...if there is enough evidence..to prove.

جوري
08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
There is no 24 hour difference between us and anywhere else in the world, if they have sighted the moon somewhere then we should all unanimously follow that sighting. It isn't playing peekaboo with us, and it is a constant variable, it doesn't change merely because someone in Zimbabwe didn't see it :D

IslamicRevival
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
There is no 24 hour difference between us and anywhere else in the world, if they have sighted the moon somewhere then we should all unanimously follow that sighting. It isn't playing peekaboo with us, and it is a constant variable, it doesn't change merely because someone in Zimbabwe didn't see it :D
It all comes down to opinion, I am of the view that Muslims should start fasting when the new moon is sighted in their own respective countries. Just because Saudi Arabia (or anywhere else for that matter) have sighted the moon and have started Ramadhan, It does not mean we follow them blindly.

http://moonsighting.com/1431rmd.html

جوري
08-10-2010, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
It all comes down to opinion, I am of the view that Muslims should start fasting when the new moon is sighted in their own respective countries. Just because Saudi Arabia (or anywhere else for that matter) have sighted the moon and have started Ramadhan, It does not mean we follow them blindly.

http://moonsighting.com/1431rmd.html
why should we distrust the eye witness of two Muslims?

4. It is not necessary that everyone must see it (crescent) with his own eyes, thus, you can rely on the sight of your brothers in Islam, so a blind man is not exempted. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) did not see the crescent with his own eyes, yet he recommended it.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/...ng-and-ramadan

whatever the case maybe, the way we fast Ramadan will also affect the pilgrimage, so will people start the pilgrimage on different days simply because the calendar says something that contradicts eyewitness?

Beardo
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Ramadan at my masjid has already been confirmed for tonight. Moon has not been confirmed yet, though. I'm avoiding any commotion, so I'll be leading either way. Might not be fasting, though.

I heard UK has already confirmed the moon?

h-n
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
I am starting my fast on Wednesday now, thought it was going to be on Thursday, but now there are a lot of people starting on Wednesday too. So take care everyone and have an excellent Ramadan. As going to get ready to start my fast tomorrow.

Sister h-n.

جوري
08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Ramadan at my masjid has already been confirmed for tonight. Moon has not been confirmed yet, though. I'm avoiding any commotion, so I'll be leading either way. Might not be fasting, though.

lots of places confirmed moon sighting...
& Allah swt knows best..

أحمد
08-10-2010, 09:43 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

The confusion is between modern "new moon" and new crescent moon; new crescent moon appears after the modern "new moon". Other valid opinions suggest modern non crescent new moon acceptable. This is why there's always disputes over when Ramadhan will start and end.

Its best to follow Islam to the best of your knowledge, no matter which valid opinion you go with.

:wa:

AabiruSabeel
08-10-2010, 09:56 PM

whatever the case maybe, the way we fast Ramadan will also affect the pilgrimage, so will people start the pilgrimage on different days simply because the calendar says something that contradicts eyewitness?

Hajj is only in Makkah, so we have to follow Makkah's calendar for that. But Ramadhan depends on your local moon sighting. If someone in your area/state/country sights the moon, then you can fast. That's because moon phases are different all over the world. You can check moonsighting.com or CrescentWatch.org for moon phase maps.

When a Muslim bears witness that he has seen the crescent, then we have no reason to delay the fast. That's why it is encouraged to go out and look for the crescent at the start of every month.

nousername
08-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I found this to be useful

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

أحمد
08-10-2010, 10:06 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel

Hajj is only in Makkah, so we have to follow Makkah's calendar for that. But Ramadhan depends on your local moon sighting. If someone in your area/country sights the moon, then you can fast. That's because moon phases are different all over the world. You can check moonsighting.com for moon phase maps.
According to what they say, the moon was 1% visible in Saudia today, lets suppose after Maghrib, ie around 4 pm GMT. By the time it's Maghrib prayer in the UK, the moon should be more than 1% visible because it is growing now. If the Maghrib in UK is at 7 pm GMT, then in 3 hours the moon will obviously be bigger than 1%.
Similarly for the US, if the Maghrib time starts at 12 pm GMT, then it is 8 hours behind Makkah. The moon should be much more larger there.

By the way, we do not follow the calculations for starting Ramadhan. It is to be started based on sighting only. But the calculations confirm that the moon should be sighted in the US tonight. http://www.moonsighting.com/vis-maps.html

The moon sighting chart (above) shows that the moon isn't visible until Wednesday 11th August in the UK.

The Ruler
08-10-2010, 10:15 PM
It isn't okay to figure out the starting of Ramadan by calculations, and yet it is okay to depend on them for moon sighting (bearing in mind that moon sighting is essentially the beginning of Ramadan)?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-10-2010, 10:22 PM

I knew this article would come in handy somewhere :D

http://muslimmatters.org/2010/08/10/...-moonsighting/

cat eyes
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
:sl:fasting starts tomorrow in Ireland and u.k

i rang my local mosque and they have confirmed it

:)

أحمد
08-10-2010, 10:39 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad

I knew this article would come in handy somewhere :D

http://muslimmatters.org/2010/08/10/...-moonsighting/
ما شاء الله nice article. I hope people learn the lesson from it not to go around arguing with each other on small differences in opinions. I remember last year a group of people got into quite a quarrel over who was right about moon sighting; they eventually ended up shouting takfeer at each other, only days later they realised their mistake and apologised, amending their friendship. The point is; there's no need for people to fight over differences in opinions. Some valid opinions, backed by Quran and Ahadeeth show the importance of sighting the new crescent moon, while others, backed by certain Ahadeeth have different valid opinions.

See this thread for examples on valid opinions and differences.

أحمد
08-10-2010, 10:41 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl:fasting starts tomorrow in Ireland and u.k

i rang my local mosque and they have confirmed it

:)
I rang a few, some said tomorrow, some said Thursday.

Not everyone starts fasting tomorrow in UK and Ireland; different mosques follow different opinions on the matter.

nebula
08-10-2010, 10:48 PM
yeah, i asked some salafi brothers in different area's they told me that there masjids r fasting 2moro meaning wednesday coz the moon has been sighted in saudi. http://www.fatwa-online.com/news/0100810_2.htm

IslamicRevival
08-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Ramadhan Mubarak all, Shaytan is locked up, The rewards are there for the taking! May Allah Azzawajal shower his mercy unto us all. Ameen , Ameen!

Salloo Alal Habeeb! SallAllahu Ta'ala Ala Muhammad!

Ummu Sufyaan
08-11-2010, 01:40 AM
we are fasting today (Wednesday) alhamdulilah. the moon was sighted.

syilla
08-11-2010, 02:07 AM
salamsss...we already started...the taraweekkhhhh is soooo amazinggggg.. May Allah make us steadfast in doing ibadah for this Ramadhan... InshaAllah

Zafran
08-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Salaam

Thursday here.

peace

Beardo
08-11-2010, 02:24 AM
I'm waiting on Chicago Hilal and CrescentWatch.org on my decision whether or not to fast tomorrow.

zakirs
08-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Wednesday in Paris! :D ... i am currently doing my sahr

innocent
08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Our local mosque said Thursday. Im in UK.

innocent
08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Ramadan Kareem everyone.

أحمد
08-11-2010, 04:40 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

Thursday here.

peace
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
Our local mosque said Thursday. Im in UK.
Some started already, some start tomorrow :inshallah
I'm in UK; starting tomorrow :inshallah

Abdul-Raouf
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Starting tomorrow...First Sahar in another 5hours time..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!