/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sadqah during ramadhan

anonymous
08-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Greetings and ramadhan mubarak :D

hmm i know its recommended to give sadaqah in ramadhan but wanted to know if there is any specfic amount to give? Generally, is there anything specfic rulings concernign giving saqaqah away in ramadhan? What if you cant find or don't know any poor people to give anything to? i cant find anything about this :(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anonymous
08-14-2010, 09:44 AM
come on guys, dont be too helpful :p :D

ardianto
08-14-2010, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Bump again !. Where are other Muslims in this forum ?. :D
hmm i know its recommended to give sadaqah in ramadhan but wanted to know if there is any specfic amount to give? Generally, is there anything specfic rulings concernign giving saqaqah away in ramadhan?
Different than zakat. There is no specific amount on sadaqah.
What if you cant find or don't know any poor people to give anything to? i cant find anything about this :(
If you can't find poor people, you can go to the nearest masjid. There is amil zakat (zakat collector) officer in every masjid. You can give your zakat, infaq and sadaqah to those amil zakat officers. They know poor people who need zakat, infaq and sadaqah.

Abdul Wahid
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
:sl:

Brother ardiano has explained it perfectly.

Just to add. Sadaqah and Zakat are two different forms of charity given by Muslims.

Zakat is obligatory while Sadaqah is voluntary.

Zakat is one of the five pillars of Islam and is to be given by all able Muslim. There are certain conditions for giving Zakat and is only distributed to certain people. Zakat is given once a year. Whereas Sadaqah can be given at anytime and to any person(s).

When giving Sadaqah give any amount you want. There is no specific amount. As brother ardiano mentioned you can give Sadaqah to a Masjid who will pass it onto relevant charities. Also people regularly come to Masjids to do collections, so it will be passed on.

Here are some virtues of Sadaqah:

Sadaqah is a virtuous deed in Islam. In fact, it is considered as a proof of one’s Iman (faith). The Prophet(SAW)said in the following authentic hadith: Abu Malik al-Ashari (RA) narrated that Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said: “Cleanliness is half of faith. Alhamdulillah (Praise be to ALLAH) fills the scale. SubhanAllah (Glory be to ALLAH) and Alhamdulillah (Praise be to ALLAH) fill up what is between the heavens and the earth. Prayer is a light. Charity is proof (of one’s faith). Endurance is a brightness and the Qur‘an is a proof on your behalf or against you. All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.” (Muslim, 432)

The more we give sadaqah the more we increase our Iman and thus, expect Allah’s rewards both in this world and in the life hereafter. Giving charity out of our wealth does not decrease our wealth but instead ALLAH(SWT) increases it: “ALLAHwill deprive usury of all blessing, but will give increase for deeds of charity: for He loves not creatures ungrateful and sinner.” (Qur‘an, 2: 276)

“That which you give in usury for increase through the property of (other) people, will have no increase with ALLAH: but that which you give for charity, seeking the Countenance of ALLAH, (will increase); it is those who will get a recompense multiplied.” (Qur‘an, 30:39)

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported Allah’s Messenger(SAW)) as saying: “Charity does not in any way decrease the wealth and the servant who forgives, Allah adds to his respect; and the one who shows humility, Allah elevates him in the estimation (of the people).” (Muslim Vol. 4, Hadith 6264)

Sadaqah is not restricted to giving part of our wealth or material possessions or any special deed of righteousness. Islam considers all good deeds as sadaqah that increase our Iman:

Abu Musa narrated that the Prophet(SAW) said, “Every Muslim has to give in sadaqah (charity).” The people asked, “O Allah’s Messenger (s.a.w.s.)! If someone has nothing to give, what will he do?” He said, “He should work with his hands and benefit himself and also give in charity (from what he earns).” The people further asked, “If he cannot do even that?” He replied, “Then he should help the needy who appeal for help.” Then the people asked, “If he cannot do that?” He replied, “Then he should perform all that is good and keep away from all that is evil and this will be regarded as charitable deeds.” (Bukhari Vol. 2, Hadith 524)

The Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) said: “To smile in the company of your brother is charity. To command to do good deeds and to prevent others from doing evil is charity. To guide a person in a place where he can not get astray is charity. To remove troublesome things like thorns and bones from the road is charity. To pour water from your jug into the jug of your brother is charity. To guide a person with defective vision is charity for you.” (Bukhari)

Since Sadaqah is not limited to giving of money or part of our wealth, every Muslim can therefore earn rewards from ALLAH(SWT). Sadaqah is an easy way to increase our Iman. Every Muslim whether poor or wealthy can give sadaqah at all times. The Prophet(SAW) tells us that dhikr (remembrance of Allah) is a form of Sadaqah. We read in the following Hadith: Abu Hurairah narrated that “Abu Dharr said to the Messenger of Allah, ‘The wealthy people have all the rewards; they pray as we pray; they fast as we fast; and they have surplus wealth which they give in charity; but we have no wealth which we may give in charity.’ Allah’s Messenger(SAW) said: ‘Abu Dharr, should I not teach you phrases by which you acquire the rank of those who excel you? No one can acquire your rank except one who acts like you.’ He said, Why not, Allah’s Messenger (s.a.w.s.)? He said: ‘Exalt Allah say: “Allahu Akbar" (Allah is Most Great) after each prayer thirty-three times; and praise Him say: “Alhamdulillah" (Praise be to Allah) thirty-three times; and glorify Him say: “Subhan Allah" (Glory be to Allah) thirty-three times; and end it by saying, “La ilâha illallâhu wahdahu la shareeka lahu, lahul mulku wa lahul hamdu yuhyi wa yomeetu wa Huwa ‘ala kulli shai’in Qadeer.” ( There is no god but Allah alone, He has no partner, to Him belongs the Kingdom, to Him praise is due and He has power over everything.) Your sins will be forgiven, even if they are like the foam of the sea.’” (Abu Dawud 1499)

Abu Dharr narrated that Allah’s Messenger(SAW) said, “In the morning charity is due from every bone in the body of every one of you. Every utterance of Allah’s glorification is an act of charity. Every utterance of praise of Him is an act of charity; every utterance of profession of His Oneness is an act of charity; every utterance of profession of His Greatness is an act of charity; enjoining good is an act of charity; forbidding what is disreputable is an act of charity; and two rak‘ahs which one prays in the forenoon will suffice.” (Muslim 1557)

SubhanaALLAH there are many more virtues.

If your finding it difficult in giving Sadaqah then you can give it directly to charities. Check the following links:

http://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/Don...FZNo4wodxGAMaQ

http://www.muslimhands.org/en/gb/donate/

http://www.uwt.org/site/articles.asp?id=12

http://www.hidaya.org/social-welfare...FRZf4wodxVELbQ

http://www.muslimaid.org/index.php/g.../donate-online

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
08-19-2010, 08:00 PM

hmm i know its recommended to give sadaqah in Ramadhan but wanted to know if there is any specfic amount to give? Generally, is there anything specfic rulings concernign giving saqaqah away in Ramadhan? What if you cant find or don't know any poor people to give anything to? i cant find anything about this :(
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallahu khayran for your question. In this, the blessed month of Ramadhan all good deeds are multiplied and so this is the best time than any other to do any good actions especially to give in charity. Sadaqa is voluntary charity in which one can give however much one can afford. The best charity is when a person is stingy or has less money. Do not delay in giving charity lest the month finishes and you would get significantly less reward.

The Prophet peace be upon him said: “Whoever draws near to Allaah during it (Ramadaan) with a single characteristic from the characteristics of (voluntary) goodness, he is like whoever performs an obligatory act in other times. And whoever performs an obligatory act during it, he is like whoever performed seventy obligatory acts in other times.” – Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah, no. 1887.

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says in the Quran:

قُلْ لِعِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا يُقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَيُنْفِقُوا مِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ سِرًّا وَعَلَانِيَةً مِنْ قَبْلِ أَنْ يَأْتِيَ يَوْمٌ لَا بَيْعٌ فِيهِ وَلَا خِلَالٌ
Say (O Muhammad SAW) to 'Ibâdî (My slaves) who have believed, that they should perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), and spend in charity out of the sustenance We have given them, secretly and openly, before the coming of a Day on which there will be neither mutual bargaining nor befriending. (14:31)

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَتْلُونَ كِتَابَ اللَّهِ وَأَقَامُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَأَنْفَقُوا مِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ سِرًّا وَعَلَانِيَةً يَرْجُونَ تِجَارَةً لَنْ تَبُورَ
Verily, those who recite the Book of Allâh (this Qur'ân), and perform As¬Salât (Iqâmat¬as¬Salât), and spend (in charity) out of what We have provided for them, secretly and openly, they hope for a (sure) trade¬gain that will never perish. (35:29)

آمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَأَنْفِقُوا مِمَّا جَعَلَكُمْ مُسْتَخْلَفِينَ فِيهِ ۖ فَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مِنْكُمْ وَأَنْفَقُوا لَهُمْ أَجْرٌ كَبِيرٌ
Believe in Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW), and spend of that whereof He has made you trustees. And such of you as believe and spend (in Allâh's Way), theirs will be a great reward. (57:7)

وَأَنْفِقُوا مِنْ مَا رَزَقْنَاكُمْ مِنْ قَبْلِ أَنْ يَأْتِيَ أَحَدَكُمُ الْمَوْتُ فَيَقُولَ رَبِّ لَوْلَا أَخَّرْتَنِي إِلَىٰ أَجَلٍ قَرِيبٍ فَأَصَّدَّقَ وَأَكُنْ مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ
And spend (in charity) of that with which We have provided you, before death comes to one of you and he says: "My Lord! If only You would give me respite for a little while (i.e. return to the worldly life), then I should give Sadaqah (i.e. Zakât) of my wealth , and be among the righteous [i.e. perform Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah)] and other good deeds. (63:10)

If you cannot find anyone to give charity to in your local area then you can give it to your local masjid/s. You can also give to various Islamic charity's. The one i give to is Ummah Welfare trust which is the ONLY Islamic charity to give 100% of donations to charity and not a penny goes to administration costs.

With the humanitarian disaster in Pakistan our brothers and sisters there need our help more than ever before so we should give as much as we can to them inshallah:

http://www.uwt.org/site/appeal.asp?id=27

and Allah knows best in all matters

anonymous
08-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Salaam

(NOT THE OP)

Ive never paid zakat b4, so excuse my dumb questions. I know zakat is 2.5% of a persons earnings is this based on the year right ? what about the years weve missed ?I asked on another forum, and the response was unsure, and just to seek repentance.

im also of the understanding that zakat needs to be paid on savings but if its above a certain amount ? which is what exactly ?

I was thinking of pledging to the pakistan appeal. but what about adopting a orphan in another country ? can zakat money be used for that ?

Hamza Asadullah
08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Salaam

(NOT THE OP)

Ive never paid zakat b4, so excuse my dumb questions. I know zakat is 2.5% of a persons earnings is this based on the year right ? what about the years weve missed ?I asked on another forum, and the response was unsure, and just to seek repentance.

im also of the understanding that zakat needs to be paid on savings but if its above a certain amount ? which is what exactly ?

I was thinking of pledging to the pakistan appeal. but what about adopting a orphan in another country ? can zakat money be used for that ?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallahu khayran for your question. Sheikh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari answers your question:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Zakat becomes obligatory upon an individual when they become the owner of the appointed zakat-payable amount (nisab) for the first time in their life after reaching puberty. This nisab is 612.36 grams of silver or 87.48 grams of gold. If one has wealth to the value of the above-mentioned nisab, one will be known as sahib al-nisab, hence zakat will be obligatory at the rate of 2.5%. Thereafter, zakat will be payable each year at the appointed date.

It should also be remembered that zakat is to be paid only on certain items, namely: 1) Gold and silver, 2) Cash, 3) Merchandise (i.e. items for resale), 4) Agricultural produce, 5) Livestock. As such, one will have to add the value of all these types of wealth and pay 2.5% of the total.

Therefore, if you have not paid zakat for the previous years, you need to make a precautionary estimation as to the total wealth that was owned by you each year in the form of the items mentioned above. You need to estimate how much savings you had each year, whether the cash was at hand, in the bank, in the form of checks, financial certificates or any other form. You need to estimate how much gold or silver you possessed (if any) and how much business wealth (i.e. items for resale) you owned.

Whatever total amount you consider to be your savings for each year, zakat will be payable on that amount. In order to determine this correctly, you may look at your previous bank statements, your wage slips and anything else that may be of help. It would be better to pay slightly more than the amount that was estimated, so as not to pay an amount that is less than what was required. It is better to be safe and sure by paying more than the amount that was estimated.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari
Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

Here is a very quick and easy guide regarding paying Zakat and a Zakat calculator is also provided in order to calculate how much Zakat you how. There are also numbers you can call to get hold of scholars on any issue or questions you may have regarding payment of Zakat.

http://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/Zakat.aspx

You can pay Zakat to orphans and to the Pakistan flood appeal but call the enquiry number to find out how you can do so and make sure you put in Zakat in the options when making a payment.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!