/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

xxxangelxxx
08-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Hiya, i was wondering how western muslims go about swimming?

ive always liked to swim since i was little and i hopefully plan on going more regularly soon but being a "typical english girl" its generally bikinis....

so if i do convert how would i go about swimming without drawing attention to myself? because obviously in the middle of aaverage uk swimming pool wearing something like a burqini would draw far to much attention to myself than i would be comfortable with!...

is it ok to swim in normal bikinis or swimming costumes during women only sessions?... would a t-shirt and shorts be ok?... or mabey leggings?

thanks

xxx

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey Angel great to have you back once again!

I would advice you to wear clothes that cover you infront of the women aswell, a t-shirt and trousers/long shorts would be fine im assuming when it comes to being infront of your gender. so yes a t-shirt short/leggings will be okay. A Bikini isnt so modest especially if your in pool full of muslim women, but for some non-muslim it may seem normal, but due to your Q i would advice more covered up clothing. But i guess maybe thats just my opinion.

But i hope someone can give you better advice if mine is not helpful inshaAllaah.
Peace

Abdul Wahid
08-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Question: I am a Muslim girl living in the United States and I like swimming, so is it Halal (lawful) for me to swim in a public pool with long, wide clothes or not?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, first and foremost, we commend your interest in getting yourself well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam. May Allah keep us all firm in the straight Path, Ameen!

It’s the duty of the committed Muslim woman to set a good example in morality and good ethics for all people. Being a Muslim living in the West doesn’t make difference in this regard. So, it’s your duty to preserve your dignity and honor by compliance with the teachings of Islam.

Answering the question you posed, Sheikh Faisal Mawlawi, Deputy Chairman of the European Council for Fatwa and Research, states:

"Giving the fact that such swimming pool involves opposite sexes, and with the fact no one can conceive that there exists swimming suits for women that do not stick to their bodies when they get wet and cover all their bodies save the face and hands, then the original rule that women are not permitted to swim in public swimming pools is still in effect.

Muslim women in Western countries should demand separate swimming pools for women. They have succeeded in this in some German cities where separate swimming pools have been designed for women at specific times.

Therefore, in all Western countries, Muslim women should ask for this. If this demand was not achieved, a Muslim woman is not allowed to swim in public and mixed swimming pools."

Now, it becomes crystal clear that a Muslim woman isn’t allowed to swim in public and mixed swimming pools, while she can swim in a women-only swimming pool where men are not allowed.

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, adds:

“So long as you’re swimming with women and wearing clothes that cover your `Awrah properly, you’re allowed to do so.

It goes without saying that Islam does not allow men and women swimming together, hence the issue of public swimming pool for both men and women is totally rejected in Islam."

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545706

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
^I hope the fatwa the brother has posted helps inshaAllaah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
08-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

alhamdulilah, we have women only swimming sessions where I live. The general rule of thumb women follow is covered to the knees or below, and then having the top covered. Showing up in a regular one piece would certainly cause stares, and would probably warrent that person being pulled aside to be informed about the proper dress.

xxxangelxxx
08-11-2010, 07:14 PM
thankyou :)... it helps to know that this would be ok and i can continue my swimming as this was a big issue for me:) xxx

whitekitten
09-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I know this doesn't qualify as Islamic swimwear (I am not Muslim) but I recently bought a Slazenger Black Highback Legsuit Swimsuit on ebay (sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet, just google it and you'll see).
Maybe a new convert/revert would feel more comfotable wearing this to woman's only (especially if you are the only Muslim) then moving onto more coverage as you feel more confident with your beliefs and the requirements of hijab.

Cabdullahi
09-17-2010, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by whitekitten
I know this doesn't qualify as Islamic swimwear (I am not Muslim) but I recently bought a Slazenger Black Highback Legsuit Swimsuit on ebay (sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet, just google it and you'll see).
Maybe a new convert/revert would feel more comfotable wearing this to woman's only (especially if you are the only Muslim) then moving onto more coverage as you feel more confident with your beliefs and the requirements of hijab.
its still a bit tight isn't it!, elephant bikinis are better for use in women only Reservoirs

cat eyes
09-17-2010, 08:08 PM
i wanted to know the same thing so i found out that their is only womens swimming pool in belfast and their is one in u.k for muslimahs

Ive always loved the water too since i was little and going to the beach with my parents... gosh id love to find a remote beach somewhere lol

btw their is also special swimming gear you can get for muslimahs you know, i will try find the link

anyways abdullahi behave :ermm:

Mujahidah4Allah
09-17-2010, 08:12 PM
:sl:

i think some leisure centers wont allow you to wear a t-shirt... before you et the wrong idea, they'd require you to wear something lighter, but like the sister said you can get muslim women gear for swimming, not sure wehere from...

Wassalam

Cabdullahi
09-17-2010, 08:14 PM
This is the gear

Amoeba
09-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Many pools still won't even allow that costume, you'll have to check first to see if they permit it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!