/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taraweeh question

innocent
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Salamalaikum. Is Taraweeh obligatory? Is it a sin to leave it?
Jazakallah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
N1LOY
08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
Jazakallah khair.
I am very sure that it is Sunnah. There will be no sin to leave it, but think of the rewards Allah (SWT) will give you.

Allah knows the best!

Muslim Woman
08-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Salaam Alaykum

sis , try to offer at least 8 rakats of Taraweeh , it's special for Ramadan.

Prophet pbuh did not offer it in congegration regularly , because he feared then it will be compulsory for us. Any good deed u do in Ramadan , u will get 70 times ( minimum) more rewards . So , why miss it ?

abu_musab461
08-13-2010, 12:18 AM
There is a hadith where the prophet pbuh said whoever reads the night prayer with imam and compleates it will be rewarded as though he prayed the whole night

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
08-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Salaam Alaykum

Tarawih Prayer By AElfwine Mischler --our revert sis :)

Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Messenger of Allah said,

"Whoever establishes prayers during the nights of Ramadan faithfully out of sincere faith and hoping to attain Allah's rewards (not for showing off), all his past sins will be forgiven."

Tarawih Prayer is a special Prayer Muslims perform only in the month of Ramadan. It is a sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), which means that it was his practice to perform Tarawih and Muslims are encouraged to do likewise, but it is not obligatory.

Tarawih is performed after `Isha’ (Night) Prayer. It can be performed at home, alone or in congregation, or at a mosque. In many mosques, one juz’ (30th part) of the Qur’an is recited each night in Tarawih. Thus performing Tarawih in the mosque imparts a special flavor to Ramadan, especially if one is able to do so every night and hear the whole Qur’an recited during the month.

Note that the Islamic day begins at sunset. Thus the first Tarawih Prayer of Ramadan will be performed the evening before the fast actually begins. Likewise, after the fast on the 29th day of Ramadan, the Tarawih Prayer is delayed until it is determined whether the new moon has been sighted, marking the end of Ramadan, or whether there will be one more day of fasting. If the new moon is sighted, there is no Tarawih Prayer.

For more details read:

How to Perform Salah (Ritual Prayers)
Introduction to Ramadan
Why Ramadan is the Month of the Qur'an?
Is Tarawih Mandatory on Women?

How to Perform Tarawih

Tarawih does not have to be performed immediately after `Isha’. Muslims can postpone it till later, but in a mosque it is performed after the people have prayed two rak`ahs of Sunnah following `Isha’ Prayer.

Tarawih consists of an even number of rak`ahs, performed two by two (as Fajr Prayer is performed). The number of rak`ahs is not fixed, but it usually is either 8 or 20. It is recommended to take a short break after every four rak`ahs. In a mosque, there may be a short religious talk or du`aa’ (supplication) or dhikr (remembrance of Allah) at this time.

Tarawih Prayer is recited aloud. Muslims who are praying alone or leading others and can read Arabic, may hold the Qur’an in their hands and read aloud from it during Tarawih. (But during the fard [obligatory] Prayers Muslims must recite Qur’an from memory, although exception is made for new Muslims who are still learning how to pray.) If you cannot read Arabic, you may recite Qur’an from memory.

Tarawih may be as long or short as you like, depending on your ability to read or recite, and on your energy level. In a mosque, if one juz’ is recited, the Tarawih will last for one and a half or two hours, but some mosques recite less than that. You can inquire how much they recite in each Prayer and how long it takes. If there is more than one mosque in your area, you can choose which one to attend.

After the Tarawih, there is the Witr Prayer of three rak`ahs. In Ramadan, these can be performed in congregation and aloud. In a mosque, short surahs are usually recited during these rak`ahs. After the ruku` (bowing) of the last rak`ah, it is a Sunnah for the imam to supplicate aloud before prostrating. The congregation should answer “ameen” after each line of the du`aa’ (supplication). This supplication after ruku` is known as qunoot.

The Witr should be the last Prayer performed before dawn. So if you are praying Tarawih in congregation and wish to perform additional Tahajjud (optional Late Night) Prayers later, you may skip the Witr in congregation and perform it after Tahajjud

....AElfwine Mischler is an American convert to Islam. She has undergraduate degrees in physics and English, and a master's degree in linguistics and teaching English as a foreign language

Vigno
08-15-2010, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

The Witr should be the last Prayer performed before dawn. So if you are praying Tarawih in congregation and wish to perform additional Tahajjud (optional Late Night) Prayers later, you may skip the Witr in congregation and perform it after Tahajjud

Asalamu Alekum

DON'T
skip the witr in congregation, the Prophet pbuh was once praying with his companions at night and they asked him why don't you pray with us all night till fajr, so he said, "if you pray with the Imaam till he is done with all the prayer(including witr) then you get the reward of praying all night".

So stay with the Imaam till he finishes the 8 or 20 Taraweeh and then pray with him 3 shafh and witr and then leave. Then at home if you want to pray more then you can pray as much as you want in pairs of 2 but don't pray witr again coz there can only be one witr each night.

I got this information from the Imaam of the masjid.

Furthermore:-
With regard to the hadith of Ibn 'Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) - according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Make the last of your prayers at night witr" - this is to be understood as referring to one who prays at the end of the night and did not pray witr at the beginning of the night.

So please everyone who prays Taraweeh in congregation, stay with the Imaam till the end!!!

ardianto
08-15-2010, 04:08 AM
:sl:

According to Ulama, you may skip your witr in congregation and perform it after tahajjud if you sure you can awake before subuh time. But if you are not sure you can awake before subuh, it's better if you perform witr with the Imam in taraweeh, then you can perform tahajjud without witr.

Vigno
08-15-2010, 04:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

According to Ulama, you may skip your witr in congregation and perform it after tahajjud if you sure you can awake before subuh time. But if you are not sure you can awake before subuh, it's better if you perform witr with the Imam in taraweeh, then you can perform tahajjud without witr.
Asalamu Alekum

Forgive me for repeating but its important to know that its so recommended not to skip the witr with the Imaam, unless it's not important for the skipper to get the reward of praying all night ( I doubt it isn't for anyone).
Jazakum Allah Khiir and sorry again

Vigno
08-15-2010, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
Jazakallah khair.
Asalamu Alekum

The information below is for women regarding whether they should pray Taraweeh in congregation : -
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=4306&CATE=155

distressed
08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Salaam

After witr prayer, arent you supposed 2 read 2 nafl as well ? cos thats part of the isha prayer rite ? I wasnt aware that taraweeh was an option ? and also that you can read either 8 or 20 ? Ive always known/read it as 20. Are we defo allowed to have a short break ? if so does this have to be a certain time ?? I read alone at home anyway, but thought i had to be consistent and not allowed to take a break...some1 told me that cant rememember who ?

D

Abdul Wahid
08-15-2010, 04:33 PM
:wa:

Yes you can read Nafl after Witr. That's entirely up to you, however its not obligatory.

There is a difference of opinion hence the 8/20 rakats.

The break your talking about is probably less than a minute. Basically people read some Zikr called 'Tasbeeh Taraweeh'. Personally I don't. There is no Hadith behind it.

I myself read 20 rakats. The local Masjids read 20 rakats. I know some Masjids that pray 8 rakats. Nothing wrong with it.

distressed
08-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Salaam

Ive always been taught 2 read 20, & 2 read the nafl, so i'll stick with that, its only a couple of mins extra.

D

Muslim Woman
08-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Salaam Alaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by distressed
Salaam

After witr prayer, arent you supposed 2 read 2 nafl as well ? cos thats part of the isha prayer rite ?
it's not a must and some say it's better not to offer anymore salat after witr . So , sometimes I do , sometimes I don't .

and also that you can read either 8 or 20 ? ..... not allowed to take a break...some1 told me that cant rememember who ?
I take rest after each 4 rakats. I sit and read some dua and darud.

a convert sis answered in other forum : BarakAllahu feeki for the post

but I want to add, that the Prophet sallaAllahu 'alayhi wa sellem never prayed more than 11...as quoted in sahih ahadith. There were incidences according to the book of Taraweeh by Al Baani where he explained that sometime in Saudia 20 was prayed dued to circumstances and only then was that 20 ever permitted....SalatatTarweeh is explained in the hadith of a'isha because the hadith she stated, they asked the question, "How did the prophet sallaAllahu 'alayhi wa sellem pray TARAWEEH...l etc. Taraweeh! I suggest everyone that can read Arabi, get this book (isn't a big book) and learn what they don't know and can spread the truth about this once and for all!!! inshaAllah! (it isn't translated as of yet)

distressed
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
salaam

now im totally confused. how can you offer 2 much ?? sorry i dont get it ? ive always known 2 nafl after witr in isha namaz....so how can you say its 2 much ?? i dont understand. I thought the more you read the better ? obviously my knowledge is limited, so i'll take what ever sum1 tells me, but i dont understand ? esp in ramadan.

D

Muslim Woman
08-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Salaam

I thought the more you read the better ?

there is an opinion that witr is the last salat of the night . So , just after witr , u don't have to offer anymore nafal . But later , if u want to offer more , then u can offer Tahajjud. It's the Sunnah.

Dont be upset about extra salat . 2 rakat nafal after witr is NOT a must . So , don't worry .

Muslim Woman
08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Salaam Alaykum

Can u confirm me if it's recommended to recite the whole Quran in Tarawee ? Here Imams recite Quran so fast that it's hard to understand what they are saying .

It's common here to finish the whole Quran on 27th Ramadan . it's called khatame Quran ( completing the full Quran).

manaal
08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
salaam

now im totally confused. how can you offer 2 much ?? sorry i dont get it ? ive always known 2 nafl after witr in isha namaz....so how can you say its 2 much ?? i dont understand. I thought the more you read the better ? obviously my knowledge is limited, so i'll take what ever sum1 tells me, but i dont understand ? esp in ramadan.

D
It becomes too much sister, if you do more than what the prophet (pbuh) did. Then it becomes "bida" (innovation) which is worse!

Sis, if your knowledge is limited, just don't take the word of a "someone", because sometimes, the someones can be wrong. If you don't have any learned person, read a book or go to islam q-a website and do a search.

Alpha Dude
08-17-2010, 11:26 AM
salaam
D
Don't worry about it sister. Put simply, the last two nafil are not obligatory. You can pray it if you want to or leave it out. No problem. If you do pray it, you'd get the reward for it.

Innocent Soul
08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
If you forget to reat witr??

Vigno
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Asalamu Alekum

Witr is sunnah, so if you forget it there is no sin inshallah and Allah knows best, but try to focus in your prayer and inshallah you won't forget anything

Jazaki Allah khiir

Vigno
08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Asalamu Alekum

It’s a sunnah to make up the Witr prayer if missed. Whenever the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) missed Witr due to sickness or oversleeping he would pray it the next day. Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said,” Whenever the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) missed Witr because of illness or sleep he would pray twelve Rak’at the next day.”
Most of the time the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) would perform eleven rak’ah. Therefore if something causes a person to miss eleven rak’ah for witr, he should add a rak’ah. This is the sunnah. He makes it up during the day, but with an even number of rak’ah. He doesn’t pray the odd number. He adds an extra rak’ah following the sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

Hence if it’s the person’s norm to pray three rak’at at night with one tasleem, the next day he would pray four with two tasleems. Also if it’s a person’s norm to pray five rak’at for witr at night the next day he prays six with three tasleems.Moreover if it’s a person’s norm to pray seven rak’at at night for the witr prayer the next day he would pray eight rak’ah with four tasleems. If a person normally prays eleven rak’at like the practice of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and misses witr, the next day he prays twelve rak’at with six tasleems. And if a person practices thirteen rak’at for witr at night and misses them, the next day he prays fourteen rak’at with seven tasleem and this practice is the best. This action is supererogatory not an obligation. May Allah reward you.

Samiro
08-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I highly recommend to pray taraweeh. I havent really been doing it in the past year but I have been going every day this year and inshallah I will try to keep going every day. I dont know what you do with your time, but for me it gives me a feeling of satisfaction that Im putting my time to good use praying taraweeh. It takes a little long, but Im a young lad and there are many older people that probably have a harder time with it than I do and I take example from these people.

Muslim Woman
08-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Vigno
Asalamu Alekum

Witr is sunnah,
to my knowledge , Witr is Wajib , next to Fard.

Vigno
08-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Salaam/Peace

Wa Alekum Asalam wa Rahmatul Allahi wa Barakatuh

Imam Abu Hanifah is of the opinion that Witr prayer is wajib (obligatory). As for the majority of Muslim scholars, they opine that Witr is a highly recommended Sunnah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) answered the one who asked him how many prayers Almighty Allah made obligatory on him saying: “Allah has prescribed five prayers in the day and the night.” The questioner said, “Am I obliged to do more?” He said: “No, unless you perform supererogatory prayers.” The man went away saying: “By Allah, I will not increase or decrease beyond these obligatory prayers.” Then, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “He would succeed if he did what he said.”

ardianto
08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Salaam/Peace

In Hanafi madhaab (or at least according to Imam Abu Hanifah), Witr is wajib (obligatory). But in other madhaab, Witr is highly recommended sunnah.

abdussattar
08-19-2010, 01:00 AM
I am hanafi, is there any qazaa for witr?

~Raindrop~
08-19-2010, 01:36 AM
^^Yes.

http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...0695c42c3ff5e4

It's mentioned in the fatwa, last paragraph.

abdussattar
08-19-2010, 02:04 PM
it says only about the fardh.. i wan to know whether there is quza for witr

Muslim Woman
08-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
I am hanafi, is there any qazaa for witr?
I read somewhere that yes , we should offered missed witr. Most probably , the ans was according to Hanafi Madhab .

~Raindrop~
08-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I've highlighted the relevant part :hmm:
format_quote Originally Posted by Mufti Ebrahim
At the background of the above, you should have the courage to make up for your previous years of missed fardh salats from the time you became baligh (physically matured). That is generally around the age of fifteen. Therefore, you will have to make up for approximately fifteen years of farz and witr salats. An easy way of doing that is perform at least one missed fardh salat with each of the present fardh salat and witr salat. Inshallah, in fifteen years time, you would cover up all your missed salats. If you have more time, you could increase performing your missed salats. If you die while making up for your past, Inshallah, Allah will forgive you. You should also make wasiyyat (bequest) to pay fidya for each missed farz and witr salat if you did not make qaza. The amount payable for each missed farz and witr salat is the amount of sadaqatul-Fitr. You cannot deliberately leave out the Qadha Salaat and chose to pay fidya instead. Fidya is only if by chance you were unable to make Qadha as in a life and death situation.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

Cabdullahi
08-19-2010, 02:44 PM
i feel like superman whenever i finish taraweeh Alhamdulilah

ardianto
08-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Salaam Alaykum
Wa Alaikum Salam.
Can u confirm me if it's recommended to recite the whole Quran in Tarawee ? Here Imams recite Quran so fast that it's hard to understand what they are saying .
It's not recomemended to recite the whole Qur'an in Taraweeh.

It's common here to finish the whole Quran on 27th Ramadan . it's called khatame Quran ( completing the full Quran).
In my place Muslims are suggested to recite Qur'an one Juz in one night, and completing this recitation (khatam) in the 30th night.

nombom
08-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Jazakallah khair.

Zafran
08-21-2010, 10:47 PM
salaam

D
Salaam

Nafls are voluntery - if you read them you will get reward for them and if you leave them then you wont -

peace

Zafran
08-21-2010, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Wa Alaikum Salam.

It's not recomemended to recite the whole Qur'an in Taraweeh.

In my place Muslims are suggested to recite Qur'an one Juz in one night, and completing this recitation (khatam) in the 30th night.
Salaam

yes in the mosque I go to we read 1 Juz or sometimes 1 and half Juz - so that it can be finished on 27th - near or on the night of power.

peace

Zafran
08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Salaam

according to the hanifi madhab its wajib - I'm not sure about other schools but I dont think its wajib for them.

peace

abdussattar
08-22-2010, 12:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
I've highlighted the relevant part :hmm:
Jazakallah hu khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!