/* */

PDA

View Full Version : nokia ringtone, haram?

_Jannah_
08-15-2010, 04:35 PM
assalamu alaikum

i wanted to ask if anyone knew whether the standard nokia ringtone is haram to use?

you can type it on youtube to check which one it is as im not allowed to post the link

your advice would be much appreciated, jazakallahu khayran

wassalamu alaikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
08-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Walaykum as Salaam

why do u think it can be haram ? If we can use door bell , car horns etc , then what's wrong with ringtone ?

We can avoid song , that's better but ....anyway , may be we have to search for Fatwa.

And Allah Knows Best.

Neelofar
08-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Urmm i don't know if it is haraam, i hope it isn't because i use tht ringtone! :P

manaal
08-15-2010, 07:44 PM
If you are worried that it comes under the category of music, you could use a simple "ring, ring" ringtone like the ones on old telephones.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
08-15-2010, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
If you are worried that it comes under the category of music, you could use a simple "ring, ring" ringtone like the ones on old telephones.
exactamundo!

please have a look >>>>

_Jannah_
08-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Walaikum salaam, jazakumullahu khayran for all the replies..

I know i sound abit like a bimbo, but i'm so used to the standard ringtone and i changed it to the ring ring one but i dont like it :S

I thought that the standard ringtone may come under "musical instruments" which are haraam but then i thought it doesnt sound like music..but then it does sound like music, then i got confused so i thought i would ask

manaal
08-16-2010, 09:11 AM
There are nicer ring ring ringtones out there than one posted by Abdullahii. Just google "old telephone ringtone" and you'll get many. I find zedge.net a good site to download ringtones, apps, etc.

_Jannah_
08-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Jazakallahu khayran bro abdullahi, i just noticed ur video now..

i just noticed the sisters ones now too :hmm: this forums upside down lol! i thought new replies come at the bottom not at the top

yeh i checked islamqa.com and i'm looking for something specific for this specific ringtone which i couldnt find anywhere...so does anyone know whether it does come under musical instruments or not?

jazakumullahu khayran, ma'salaam

manaal
08-17-2010, 02:14 AM
New replies do come at the bottom usually, unless your setting have changed. Go to your User CP and changed the setting so that new replies come at the bottom.

As to whether or not it's a musical instrument I really cannot say. Sorry.

Grace Seeker
08-17-2010, 03:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
As to whether or not it's a musical instrument I really cannot say. Sorry.
A musical instrument would be any instrument that produces music. So, what you really need is a good working definition of music. Now, there are many available on the internet and you are certainly welcome to search them till you find the one you like, or maybe there is some Islamic authority that already has THE answer for you. The one I will share with you is what I learned from my wife who was a music teacher.

Music is any rythmic arrangement of variable tones of different pitch produced by vibrating air or another medium to produce a particular sound. That's pretty broad. It isn't just the banging on a drum, because there is no modulation of pitch in a drum. And the sound of a police whistle isn't music either, even though it does change in pitch, because the variation in pitch determined by matter of chance of the bead in the whistle's chamber and is not a planned arrangement. But either could be used to produce music. The playing of more than one different drum of different picthes is definitely music. And a police whistle by itself might not be considered music, but it could be incorporated into a piece of music as one of several different instruments.

So, your Nokia ringtone. Does the pitch modulate? Is it arranged? If the answer is yes to both, and you have to manipulate it to get it to sound, then by the broadest definition used by those who teach music, it is a musical instrument, just like would also be a radio, or even a doorbell or car horn (though as you have already heard, it seems that someone in Islam has declared that the last two are not).

_Jannah_
08-17-2010, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
A musical instrument would be any instrument that produces music. So, what you really need is a good working definition of music. Now, there are many available on the internet and you are certainly welcome to search them till you find the one you like, or maybe there is some Islamic authority that already has THE answer for you. The one I will share with you is what I learned from my wife who was a music teacher.

Music is any rythmic arrangement of variable tones of different pitch produced by vibrating air or another medium to produce a particular sound. That's pretty broad. It isn't just the banging on a drum, because there is no modulation of pitch in a drum. And the sound of a police whistle isn't music either, even though it does change in pitch, because the variation in pitch determined by matter of chance of the bead in the whistle's chamber and is not a planned arrangement. But either could be used to produce music. The playing of more than one different drum of different picthes is definitely music. And a police whistle by itself might not be considered music, but it could be incorporated into a piece of music as one of several different instruments.

So, your Nokia ringtone. Does the pitch modulate? Is it arranged? If the answer is yes to both, and you have to manipulate it to get it to sound, then by the broadest definition used by those who teach music, it is a musical instrument, just like would also be a radio, or even a doorbell or car horn (though as you have already heard, it seems that someone in Islam has declared that the last two are not).
JAZAKALLAHU KHAYRAN! this helped alot!!! according to what ur wife said, it is music

Grace Seeker
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _Jannah_
JAZAKALLAHU KHAYRAN! this helped alot!!! according to what ur wife said, it is music
Yes. But so would be doorbells and the old fashioned telephone ringers, which are both allowed in Islam. So, you probably still need more guidance.

_Jannah_
08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Yes. But so would be doorbells and the old fashioned telephone ringers, which are both allowed in Islam. So, you probably still need more
guidance.
lol...ok confused.com again

Grace Seeker
08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _Jannah_
lol...ok confused.com again
Maybe the answer is as simple as, Does it sound like a tune to you or just a noise?

If your intention is to avoid haraam music and it sounds like nothing more than noise to you, then even if some tells you that it really is music, at least you've not sin for your intention was correct. But if you recognize it as a tune and then go ahead and use it, it is more like you are trying to excuse yourself for something you know in your heart you shouldn't be using.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!