/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How many days have you broken your fast this Ramadhan?

ExplosionsHurt
08-18-2010, 02:26 AM
I've only broken it once so far because I had an online quiz that I had to do for Uni. I can't study/do an exam if I'm hungry.

How many days have you broken your fast, and for what reason?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-18-2010, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ExplosionsHurt
I've only broken it once so far because I had an online quiz that I had to do for Uni. I can't study/do an exam if I'm hungry.

Interesting question. While I do not advocate any of us making public our sins. I believe this is a justifiable question as it does provoke thought and perhaps give others impetus to keep from breaking their fast on any
day.

To make this thread more neutral and safer I am going to add an anonymous poll to it and those desiring to post a comment can do so in a generic manner without revealing any shortcomings.

Woodrow
08-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Poll has been added. I made it so you can vote for more than one option in the event the number increases before Eid ul-Fitr

ExplosionsHurt
08-18-2010, 02:42 AM
I'm also planning to break my fast a second time on the 24th of August because my cousin is coming from the UK and I want to celebrate with him.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
08-18-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm also planning to break my fast a second time on the 24th of August because my cousin is coming from the UK and I want to celebrate with him.
It saddens for me to hear that a Muslim would actually pre-plan to break his fast. Be cautious Akhi as these words are dangerously close to Kafir.

marwen
08-18-2010, 03:02 AM

Assalamu Alaykom.

Brother, I was about to ask how old are you to know if you are able to fast, but you seem to be old enough because you're studying at the uni.

Please brother, do not break your fast for no reason. I see you have no real excuse (like sickness or traveling etc..) to break your fast. Remember that breaking your fast without an excuse is one of the major sins.
take a look at this fatwa.

You have the right to ask that question, but you should never cut your fasting like that.

May Allah guide me and you.

Salahudeen
08-18-2010, 03:30 AM
Brother you should not break your fast just because your cousin is coming over and you wanna party, this is not right, your cousin is not more important then Allah. Allah comes before everything and our duties to him come before everything. Never forget about Allah cos you wanna celebrate with your cousin.

Brasco
08-18-2010, 03:42 AM
بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم و الصلاة و السلام على خير المرسلين و إمام المتقين و الحمد الله و السلام عليكم و رحمة الله

I see refuge with Allah the Lord of the mighty Throne! With my all due respect and excuse my harshness: Subnhana'Allah! Shame on you for breaking your fasting just for an exam! Really shame on you! And how come you disclose your sin? Don't you have dignity? How can you say it so easily, that you're gonna commit another sin? And breaking one's fasting for no valid reason is a major sin!!!

"Every soul shall have taste of death; In the end to us shall ye be brought back" who gives you the guarantee to live until you meet your cousin?

Ad dhahabi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Kabaa'ir (p. 64):

The believers are unanimously agreed that whoever forsakes the Ramadaan fast when he is not sick and has no other excuse for that is worse than an adulterer or one who is addicted to alcohol. They doubt whether he is a Muslim and they think of him as a heretic and deviant.

cat eyes
08-18-2010, 03:43 AM
you asked that question like its not a little thing to break ones fast lol i agree brother you should not break your fast inshallah only if your very ill

Rhubarb Tart
08-18-2010, 03:49 AM
salam

lol I cant believe this! Subhallah, you write so casually about planning to break your fast. You feel hungry?, imagine how those people without food feel then? Either fast or don't bother at all. imsad

Woodrow
08-18-2010, 04:13 AM
:sl:

In today's fast paced world and rapid travel between continents it is quite understandable that a person could unintentionally fail to fast on either the first or last day of Ramadan. ie a person leaves aboard a flight on the day before Ramadan and eats a meal on the plane, unaware he has passed the date zone and is now in a region were Ramadan has begun. Or the confusion over the dates for the start of and last day of Ramadan If we here in the US would some how follow the date of Ramadan in accordance with UK time we would actually be starting a day early. which is ok. But we would end a day too soon which is not ok.

So, it is understandable that it is possible for a person to accidentally miss a day of fasting and not even realize it until it is pointed out to them. But, for any other times a person should know it is Ramadan and it is virtually impossible to accidentally forget to fast. There may be justifiable reasons a person can not fast during Ramadan. Usually health or age related, but I doubt not fasting could be accidental unless it is the person's first or second Ramadan as a Muslim.

So it is a very serious matter to miss a day of fasting even with the smallest taste of food or smallest swallow of water. A very grave matter we need to keep in mind during this Holy Month. But, fortunately virtually all Muslims look forward to this fast and fast with joy, not with distress.

أحمد
08-18-2010, 04:37 AM
:sl:

The last time I ever broke my fast as such was nine to ten years ago; it was due to illness, I spent a few days in hospital, returned a day after Eidul-Fitr.

I felt slightly unwell in the past few days, but it wasn't bad enough to excuse breaking the fast.

I suggest you reschedule the celebration. I guess you chose to ask this question on an Islamic Forum for the purposes of honest advice; that is all the brothers and sisters are giving you in the above posts. If we start making excuses to justify breaking the fast for parties or any other reasons as such; we would be encouraging something which isn't good.

:wa:

Vigno
08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Asalamu Alekum

Well I was going to say a lot about this but my brothers and sisters here have said enough already. However, I would like to add something, I think you must consult a scholar on how to do kafara(expiation) for the days you skipped because these are not acceptable reasons, indeed its shameful, sad, and dishonoring of Allah (Subhanah wa Taalah).
Also you need to repent from another big sin which is talking about your sin in public.
Allah says in the Quran, "Don't take Allah's signs as a jest"
It is only of our love to you brother that we advice you or we would just leave you to your ultimate loss.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!