/* */

PDA

View Full Version : As a Muslim, who is Your Brother or Your Sister?

Sarada
08-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Salaam Sisters and Brothers:

:confused:

I came across this quote: ' No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself. "
Sunnah

"Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself."

Islam. Forty Hadith of an-Nawawi 13

Mohammed is said to have said

"Seek for mankind that of which you are desirous for yourself, that you may be a believer; treat well as a neighbor the one who lives near you, that you may be a Muslim [one who submits to God]."

and

"That which you want for yourself, seek for mankind."

Sukhanan-i-Muhammad (Teheran, 1938) [English Title: Conversations of Muhammad]
Wattles (192)
Rost (100)
Donaldson Dwight M. 1963. Studies in Muslim Ethics, p.82. London: S.P.C.K '

So this leaves me to ask the question: are only fellow Muslims considered to be brothers and sisters, or is there a broader definition?

With respect,

Sarada

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Peace Sarada,

There is a little difficulty in answering this. I will simply answer as brief as I can and leave it open for any specific questions you may have. Yes we are all Brothers and Sisters in Humanity. But only Muslims are Brothers and sisters in the Ummah.

As a Brother in humanity I do desire for all of mankind that which I desire for my self. I do see all people as my Brothers and Sisters, but I feel some of my Brothers and Sisters in humanity have wandered far from the family tree,but stillthey are my Brothers and Sisters, I need not agree with them or even like them. There are actually quite a few people I dislike, but still love.

Sarada
08-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Salaam Woodrow,

Thank your for your honest answer. I think that it is human nature to have what might be called a hierarchy of brothers and sisters. One's family and one's immediate community feel more like brothers and sisters. Someone who lives on the opposite side of the world that does not share our beliefs and our culture will naturally feel less of a brother or a sister.

I would like to know how others feel about this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!