/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quran: necessary to recite *seen* and *saad* differently?"

ahmed_indian
08-18-2010, 06:57 PM
salaam alaikum,

it is essential to recite alphabets like (zaa, zaal) or (seen,saad,saa) differently?

its very difficult for me. :(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
08-18-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure akhi but I'd like to know the answer aswell.

Alpha Dude
08-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Quite sure you have to. Correct pronounciation is important.

AabiruSabeel
08-19-2010, 12:48 AM
:sl:

Yes, it is essential to pronounce the sounds of Seen, Saad, tha, Za, Dhad etc correctly. Sometimes the meanings change a lot due to minor mistakes.

For example, ظل means shadow and ضل means stray. Allah says in Surah Maryam about the wrongdoers:

How plainly will they see and hear, the Day that they will appear before Us! but the unjust today are in error manifest!

And in Surah Al-Waqi'ah He speaks about the pious that they will be in:

In shade long-extended, [56:30]

Now if you read this with the sound of Dhaad, imagine how the meaning of the ayah will change.

Similarly, they give the example of قلب and كلب to explain the difference it makes when you don't pronounce 'Qaaf' properly. قلب means heart and كلب means dog.

There are many more similar examples but that's all I can remember this time.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
08-19-2010, 01:13 AM
One of the Brothers had once posted a few recordings by Qari Saad Nomani at Bristol. Please listen his introductory speech here in Urdu: http://www.archive.org/download/Saad.../Recording.amr

He gives a few examples to explain why it is important to recite the Qur'an with the correct pronunciation.

ahmed_indian
08-19-2010, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel

Yes, it is essential to pronounce the sounds of Seen, Saad, tha, Za, Dhad etc correctly. Sometimes the meanings change a lot due to minor mistakes.
There are many more similar examples but that's all I can remember this time.
jazaak Allah khair bro. i know abt qaaf and kaaf or daal and zaal.

but i wanted to know abt seen and saad. is it ok between them?

أحمد
08-19-2010, 05:10 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed_indian

Its very important to recite the Quran properly; articulating each letter through its correct origin and sound. Failure to do so may affect the meaning articulated, as well as the expression of the passage as a whole. This is the first rule of Tajweed, Ulumul Quran.

At times, you'll notice when a letter is articulated with a slight change of sound; this follows the rules of assimilation, its not a random change in sound.

The difference of meanings between س and ص in a word are like reading صرير (screeching) as سرير (bed).

:wa:

manaal
08-19-2010, 08:47 AM
I recommend reciting along with a recording of one of the best Imaams/qaaris to understand the different ways of pronouncing the various letters.

The Qura'n Navigator (http://tanzil.info/) is an excellent website for this purpose.

أحمد
08-19-2010, 12:46 PM

If you have the means to; I recommend you learn Tajweed. It isn't difficult, nor will it take much of your time. The result is worth the effort; Allah will make it easier for you :inshallah

ahmed_indian
08-19-2010, 06:53 PM
salaam alaikum,

are there videos to show how different alphabets are pronounced?

أحمد
08-19-2010, 07:04 PM

salaam alaikum,

I would imagine there to be videos out there, but its better to learn from a teacher; as you've got someone to help you through the learning process who can spot and correct mistakes.

I'm working on making some software for Tajweed educational purposes, which maybe completed by next year :inshallah

أحمد
08-19-2010, 07:15 PM

I found some youtube videos, which you might find useful for learning :inshallah

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-19-2010, 07:21 PM
salaam alaikum,

Everything you need here:

http://bayyinah.com/courses/study-ma...udy-materials/

After watching the short videos on the link above, I suggest practicing every example here:

http://bayyinah.com/tajweed_book/main.html

Salahudeen
08-19-2010, 07:23 PM
But it's hard to learn yourself because you need someone to check your pronunciation. For example you can imitate them but you could still be saying it wrong and you won't know unless some 1 listens to you and points it out :(

I have a great idea, how about computer software that not only teaches you pronunciation but also requests you to speak into a microphone and then it analyse's your pronunciation to see if it's correct.

AabiruSabeel
08-19-2010, 09:32 PM

An example of how Saad and Seen change the meaning:

"It may be that my Lord will give me something better than thy garden, and that He will send on thy garden thunderbolts (by way of reckoning) from heaven, making it (but) slippery sand!- [18:40]

Here the word صعيدا (barren), if read with Seen as سعيدا means Happy/fortunate. The meaning of the ayah will change to its opposite.

Since you are living in Saudi Arabia, it is very easy to get in touch with a ustadh who can teach you proper tajweed. You can even look for Tahfiz halaqas in Masjid, some of them Halaqas for grown ups too.

Insaanah
08-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Another example is from Surah an-Naazi'aat, ayaat 21-22:

Meaning: But he denied and disobeyed, then turned he away in haste,

If the 'saad' is read as 'seen', changing the word into عَسَى , the meaning potentially becomes:

But he denied and perhaps, then he turned away in haste

This has the effect of getting rid of "he disobeyed" and casting doubt on the original meaning, i.e. "perhaps then he turned away", rather than, "he then turned away".

This shows how important tajweed is, so please do try your best to learn it.

And Allah knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!